• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

GulAtiCa

that's exactly what was happening to me, I noticed that some enemies had been disappearing from my game levels and I didn't know why.

I didn't know about the soul memory, but I'm guessing I'm still kinda fucked up on that side since I got a load of souls from helping a ton in the Forest of the Fallen Giants and Lost Bastile. (the first levels I've played, too)

In any case, a good source of titanite shards? I can't believe I need 2-3 hits to kill a mob from FotFG with a character in lv 91

They de-spawn after you kill them 10 times.

For titanite shards, They can be found pretty commonly from Harvest Valley. Which, might be the area you are in now most likely.
Here is some more info: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Titanite+Shard

wiibomb

They de-spawn after you kill them 10 times.

For titanite shards, They can be found pretty commonly from Harvest Valley. Which, might be the area you are in now most likely.
Here is some more info: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Titanite+Shard

I actually got myself inside Heide's Tower of Flame... I think I need to retreat because that dragon won't give up with my measly un-upgraded weapons.

I'll try to find new co-op sessions in that Harvest Valley too. Before this mad leveling I was getting so much co-op, now I don't find any, I guess my soul memory is now fucked, hope it works with that place

GulAtiCa

Well, you might not be finding any in Heide's Tower of Flame, due to that is a lower level area generally. People are there early on in the game, usually after doing Forest of Fallen Giants (assuming they didn't unlock a shortcut to Lost Bastille), if not 1st.

GulAtiCa

Where can I find one?

Before the first boss in Earthen Peak,
behind an illusory wall only accessible using a Pharros Lockstone in the same room, which is down the poison hallway containing the Estus Flask Shard and to the right.
You can buy the ring after defeating the first boss in Brightstone Cove (Prowling Magus and Congregation). Just climb up the ladder on the side of the door and you will find the NPC.

GulAtiCa

I'll have it for PS4 for sure. Day 1.

And I'm now in NG++. Currently trying to get to the Castle quickly. So I'm just using the bonfire ascetics on The Rotten boss with all the main extra souls gear to quickly get 3 million souls. Already have at least 1.25 million so far. I mainly was doing the Last Giant & Punisher one, but that is too slow. So The Rotten makes more sense.

Im at Black Gulch. How do I get through this area? There are too many statues to break and I get poisoned in 2 shots. I guess this is what I get for leaving my adaptability at 5.

Also, DX11 in this game is unreal. It's finally like that demo they showed at E3. Torches are extremely useful now.

Please tell me you have a lot of Attunement? You should try to at least have 99 AGL, but 105 is preferred by many, including myself. Stock up on moss clumps & lifegems too. Two lifegems will heal you more than you take damage or you can just wait till you get to the boss fog(unless you have less than 1,200 health you will survive be poisoned) and if you're still poisoned moss clump it, and then lifegem to top up instead of wasting precious estus.

Hello everyone! I started Dark Souls 2 last sunday when I got the game and damn... I think I messed up...

I got way too many souls from doing co-op and now after finishing the Lost Sinner I'm at level 91 lol.. how messed am I?

Also, even with this amount of levels, I still find the game pretty fucking hard (and bullshit at times) and I was suspecting that was because I haven't made any single upgrade to weapons, but where do I find a source for Titanite Shards? I got like 3 only and I don't have a source like Andre from DS1.

It shouldn't matter too much. Each boss has NPC summons that are very useful, you aren't messed the game will still be really difficult at times, just now you can take more hits form aboss instead of just dying. I think I was like 100 or so because I kept co-oping another boss, had like 5mill SM before going and fighting the other three big baddies.

Upgrading weapons is key, also what weapon are you using?

So a week to go until DS3 for the patient people.

Anyone here going to be playing on PS4? Feel free to add me - PSN = Deicides

I can't freaking wait. I got like three things spoiled, but they're rather minor so I'm not too buttmad.

Maybe we could make a GAF DS3 community group

Yes. I shall join it after I 100% the game :p

Alright beat the main area of Ivory King, all that is left is Frigid Outskirts and I'm done with the game.

Edit: After looking up a map and knowing where the fuck I have to go, this area isn't bad at all. But fuck the boss. Once the second joins all you can do is accept death.

Really? I found the route to the boss worse than the boss itself. Probably because I can dish out about 1200 damage to each one, and can kill the first before the 2nd charges me.

that's exactly what was happening to me, I noticed that some enemies had been disappearing from my game levels and I didn't know why.

I didn't know about the soul memory, but I'm guessing I'm still kinda fucked up on that side since I got a load of souls from helping a ton in the Forest of the Fallen Giants and Lost Bastile. (the first levels I've played, too)

In any case, a good source of titanite shards? I can't believe I need 2-3 hits to kill a mob from FotFG with a character in lv 91

Harvest Valley is a great place, also enemies disappear after a certain amount of times killed. It differs but it's usually between 10-15 as far as I'm aware.

I'll have it for PS4 for sure. Day 1.

And I'm now in NG++. Currently trying to get to the Castle quickly. So I'm just using the bonfire ascetics on The Rotten boss with all the main extra souls gear to quickly get 3 million souls. Already have at least 1.25 million so far. I mainly was doing the Last Giant & Punisher one, but that is too slow. So The Rotten makes more sense.

Doesn't OIK net more souls? Also, I hope you're wearing items that give you more souls :p.

GulAtiCa

Doesn't OIK net more souls? Also, I hope you're wearing items that give you more souls :p.

Probably, but that means I have to go through all of those areas to get to the Old Iron King. Going from the top of Majura to reaching the bonfire before The Rotten is however a simple 5 minute run. So easy/simple. So farming souls from that boss so much easier from the start.

Yeah, all the gear I have on earns me more souls + the +2 Soul Increase Ring

Probably, but that means I have to go through all of those areas to get to the Old Iron King. Going from the top of Majura to reaching the bonfire before The Rotten is however a simple 5 minute run. So easy/simple. So farming souls from that boss so much easier from the start.

Yeah, all the gear I have on earns me more souls + the +2 Soul Increase Ring

Yeah but you also get a buttload of souls from all the enemies on the way there, plus the bosses.

Titchy Gren chest right? The amount of times I used Tseldora instead of Titchy makes me sad :(

Onemic

Please tell me you have a lot of Attunement? You should try to at least have 99 AGL, but 105 is preferred by many, including myself. Stock up on moss clumps & lifegems too. Two lifegems will heal you more than you take damage or you can just wait till you get to the boss fog(unless you have less than 1,200 health you will survive be poisoned) and if you're still poisoned moss clump it, and then lifegem to top up instead of wasting precious estus.

It shouldn't matter too much. Each boss has NPC summons that are very useful, you aren't messed the game will still be really difficult at times, just now you can take more hits form aboss instead of just dying. I think I was like 100 or so because I kept co-oping another boss, had like 5mill SM before going and fighting the other three big baddies.

I can't freaking wait. I got like three things spoiled, but they're rather minor so I'm not too buttmad.

Yes. I shall join it after I 100% the game :p

Really? I found the route to the boss worse than the boss itself. Probably because I can dish out about 1200 damage to each one, and can kill the first before the 2nd charges me.

Harvest Valley is a great place, also enemies disappear after a certain amount of times killed. It differs but it's usually between 10-15 as far as I'm aware.

Im not going into my magic hybrid build until I get 40/40 in STR/DEX so I have 5 in attunement I think.

Im not going into my magic hybrid build until I get 40/40 in STR/DEX so I have 5 in attunement I think.

Start getting that ADP up, high AGL is extremely useful.
Whilst it does give out more it's a barely noticeably difference of at max 4000 souls at the highest NG +8. A rotten run is lower risk too.

Yeah but if you're trying to get to the castle quickly those 4000 souls add up. As a one time fight it's negligible, but if you're fighting him a lot of times it would probably help significantly. That's true, and probably quicker for melee since you don't need to wait for attacks.

RiggyRob

Episode 25, myself vs. Throne Defender & Watcher: https://youtu.be/NkiV8CDdH74

This is a decent fight, but I wouldn't want to do it solo, especially when they can revive each other. I found it interesting that they also enchant their swords with lightning, which is a common theme with Vendrick's guards.

Plus, Throne Watcher's got some slick moves! Not to mention that the Defender's Shield is amazing too.

Onemic

Start getting that ADP up, high AGL is extremely useful.

Yeah but if you're trying to get to the castle quickly those 4000 souls add up. As a one time fight it's negligible, but if you're fighting him a lot of times it would probably help significantly. That's true, and probably quicker for melee since you don't need to wait for attacks.

Wow, I had no idea there was an agility stat in this game and that adaptability raises it. I thought it was only for certain resistances.

wiibomb

I've been using a basic broadsword and a basic halberd (never upgraded neither, I know, it sucks) most of the time, if you know of some nice weapons I could have missed, please let me know, I got a twinblade, and while its pretty awesome, I need to put my shield away to use it well and.. I'm not prepared to let go of my shield lol.

I would look for weapons, but I feel that will spoil me a lot of upcoming things

Thanks I'll head that way since I'm kinda suffering from my weapons in the Heide's Tower

I've been using a basic broadsword and a basic halberd most of the time, if you know of some nice weapons I could have missed, please let me know, I got a twinblade, and while its pretty awesome, I need to put my shield away to use it well and.. I'm not prepared to let go of my shield lol.

I would look for weapons, but I feel that will spoil me a lot of upcoming things

Thanks I'll head that way since I'm kinda suffering from my weapons in the Heide's Tower

The weapon I used was the mace, strike damage in DaS 2 is super nice since many enemies and bosses aren't very strong against it. Be warned though you have to get up close to the enemies butt for it to hit. Use a weapon which has a moveset you're comfortable with, for me I'm semi-decent with dodge rolling so I power-stanced maces which was pretty good.

Mistel

Banned
That's a fair point I don't believe this the first time GulAtiCa has done it either. Rotten is far easier boss too once you've got the moveset down.
Episode 25, myself vs. Throne Defender & Watcher: https://youtu.be/NkiV8CDdH74

This is a decent fight, but I wouldn't want to do it solo, especially when they can revive each other. I found it interesting that they also enchant their swords with lightning, which is a common theme with Vendrick's guards.
It's not just lightning the twins have their own elements with Defender as lightning and Watcher being magic. Their allegiance isn't likely to belong to Vendrick either as they're actually guarding the throne he never took, another tidbit is they've got souls corrupted by dark similar to the other beings corrupted by dark or of dark themselves.
It really won't do that at all.

I've only died once on the way there, and that was on my first time without a map.
Summon the three NPCs and it's super easy.

1200 damage seems like a lot, I'm using Mastodon Greatsword+10 with Ring of Blades and 40 STR and I hit for 400.

I've only died once on the way there, and that was on my first time without a map.
Summon the three NPCs and it's super easy.

1200 damage seems like a lot, I'm using Mastodon Greatsword+10 with Ring of Blades and 40 STR and I hit for 400.

I wanna beat em solo :p. I'm a sort of masochist in that sense lol.

Yeah, it's because I have 75 STR, 45 DEX and I'm power-stancing a Kings Ultra Greatsword +5 and a Fume Ultra Greatsword +5. It hurts em a lot.

GulAtiCa

And Platinum achieved!

Killing The Rotten is so much easier, and by end each kill got me like 300k. Not to mention the 2 Soul items for like 75k ish. Old Iron Kind would have been 1 less bonfire ascetic for sure at very least. But the time to get all the way there would have been way more then the 3 minutes it takes to use bonfire ascetic, go to boss gate, kill the boss, repeat.

In the end it took me 80 hours to do this. Fun little side note, on the original Dark Souls 2 on PS3. It took me about 150 hours to do so. And that was without the DLCs. Heck, took me 100 hours to beat the game (first time playing a Souls game at that point).

Onto Dark Souls 3! Not sure if I'll keep playing and just invade people or take a break. Prob take a break from the game to not be worn out by time game comes out.

And Platinum achieved!

Killing The Rotten is so much easier, and by end each kill got me like 300k. Not to mention the 2 Soul items for like 75k ish. Old Iron Kind would have been 1 less bonfire ascetic for sure at very least. But the time to get all the way there would have been way more then the 3 minutes it takes to use bonfire ascetic, go to boss gate, kill the boss, repeat.

In the end it took me 80 hours to do this. Fun little side note, on the original Dark Souls 2 on PS3. It took me about 150 hours to do so. And that was without the DLCs. Heck, took me 100 hours to beat the game (first time playing a Souls game at that point).

Onto Dark Souls 3! Not sure if I'll keep playing and just invade people or take a break. Prob take a break from the game to not be worn out by time game comes out.

I kinda want to 100% SotFS. I 100% DaS 1 on xbox, then again on GFWL. I then 100%ed DaS 2, and I'm planning on 100%ing SotFS but fuck me the tigers are a pain. Not sure if I'm being put through some kind of time anomaly, but the left paw swipes change in how long it takes. They're the last boss I need to beat, and I wanna do it solo, it also happens to be a place where From tried to force their co-op.

RiggyRob

It's not just lightning the twins have their own elements with Defender as lightning and Watcher being magic. Their allegiance isn't likely to belong to Vendrick either as they're actually guarding the throne he never took, another tidbit is they've got souls corrupted by dark similar to the other beings corrupted by dark or of dark themselves.

I thought he put them there to protect the throne from
Nashandra
? That would make sense why their souls are corrupted with Dark, like Velstadt was.

Mistel

Banned
I thought he put them there to protect the throne from
Nashandra
? That would make sense why their souls are corrupted with Dark, like Velstadt was.
They're more just there really Nashandra knows she needs the kinship anyway. They might even been there since Vendrick or before there's not anyway to tell.

Onemic

Guts sword from Berserk is in this game? Yooooo.

How good is the greatsword compared to other ultra greatswords? Should I bother upgrading it?

Buraindo

They're more just there really Nashandra knows she needs the kinship anyway. They might even been there since Vendrick or before there's not anyway to tell.

Shame we didn't get any more info on them with SOTFS.

Guts sword from Berserk is in this game? Yooooo.

How good is the greatsword compared to other ultra greatswords? Should I bother upgrading it?

Yeah it's really strong if you're going for a STR build.

I just want to confirm that I should do the Heides Tower of Flame area before trying to get past the Ruins Sentinels in Lost Bastille, right?

Because i spent 4 hours last night trying to kill those 3 fuckers and now im out of human effigies and have probably overleveled so that I can't even summon human shades into my game anymore : /

GulAtiCa

I just want to confirm that I should do the Heides Tower of Flame area before trying to get past the Ruins Sentinels in Lost Bastille, right?

Because i spent 4 hours last night trying to kill those 3 fuckers and now im out of human effigies and have probably overleveled so that I can't even summon human shades into my game anymore : /

Yeah. Technically Heides Tower of Flame comes before Lost Bastille. I can only guess you took a shortcut from the Forest of Fallen Giants to there.

Yeah. Technically Heides Tower of Flame comes before Lost Bastille. I can only guess you took a shortcut from the Forest of Fallen Giants to there.

I mean i didn't mean to take a shortcut, I just killed the floating knight there and then I found a bird's nest and suddenly i was at the lost bastille lol.

I guess I'll go back to the tower then, I wasn't trying to play the game out of order it just happened. I'm trying to not use a guide at all but after hours(!) of trying to fight those 3 Sentinels I figured I must've fucked up somewhere

GulAtiCa

I mean i didn't mean to take a shortcut, I just killed the floating knight there and then I found a bird's nest and suddenly i was at the lost bastille lol.

I guess I'll go back to the tower then, I wasn't trying to play the game out of order it just happened. I'm trying to not use a guide at all but after hours(!) of trying to fight those 3 Sentinels I figured I must've fucked up somewhere

Well, really no real order for most part. So you were doing fine, if anything maybe a little under leveled. What level are you anyways?

Also. tip:
Destroy the 1st guy on that ledge before dropping down

Well, really no real order for most part. So you were doing fine, if anything maybe a little under leveled. What level are you anyways?

Also. tip:
Destroy the 1st guy on that ledge before dropping down

yeah i know, believe me i know lol. my problem is then tackling the two guys below.

I think i'll just go to the tower anyhow, i could always just mess up all of those slow knights and grind them out if it comes to that so that I just end up brute forcing the sentinels later down the line

Buraindo

Im going for a Dark Warrior build. So 40/40/30/30 STR/DEX/INT/FAITH. Will it still be good?

With 40 STR yeah, plus a buff like Dark/Resonant (I think it was nerfed) Weapon it should deal a good deal of damage. Might be worth looking for something more suited to a build like that I reckon, like a Crypt Blacksword. I'm not big on elemental builds so maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

Mike M

Nick N

The dogs drop effigies of you need to farm. Pilgrim Bellclaire's summon sign is in one of the prison cells on the approach to the sentinels (though for me, it sometimes wouldn't show unless I saved and restarted.), she's pretty useful in the fight.

Neoweee

Yes.

There's five paths out of Majula. You are trying one. The paths don't overlap completely in difficulty, but are staggered-- the Lost Bastille bosses are harder than the first bosses on each of the other five paths.

I think a lot of complaints about difficulty and i-frames come from people not poking around the non-linear world more. Explore!

Mistel

Banned
Shame we didn't get any more info on them with SOTFS.
It is really but it's just another in a long line of unanswered things in this game.
Im going for a Dark Warrior build. So 40/40/30/30 STR/DEX/INT/FAITH. Will it still be good?
Like Buraindo says you really want a crypt blacksword of that sort of build but as that's primarily STR related build like a majority of the ultras are although you could use those points of DEX better or at least limit to 30 for Fume ultra.

today finally platinum baby....120 hours LOL :)

I'm almost at 100 hours and still in NG. But only because I spent a buttload of time co-oping with people. I wanna 100% SotFS but this last boss is a dick anus.

There's NPC summons that can help you with that fight if you want.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, you can power-stance it with any fist weapon. Power-stance and L2 it lol

It's so good for pvp. I have a greatsword on my right hand, rock fist in the second hand. Most people don't notice the fist at first and roll towards me when i swing the sword, and i punish them when they do. Now that i discovered that i can power stanced it, i have even more of a moveset to confuse people and a kamehameha to finish people off or punish healing :D

Got invaded by a cheater for the first time last night, while on the way to Ruin Sentinels. Totally invincible fireball tossing invader. Several times. Super annoying. Is there anything to do besides report em through Steam and move on? I tried to steer them towards a cliff edge but they weren't having it.

RiggyRob

Episode 26, myself vs. Darklurker: https://youtu.be/ayvIIQucHAk

I was so happy to be done with this fucking boss after respeccing to 50 Int, and I went balls out - maxed out the Rebel's Greatshield suited up in Agdayne's gear and used Twilight Dusk Herbs for the first and only time during my playthrough.

30 Human Effigies, just pissed away. I'm lucky that NPC invasions give you so many effigies, I couldn't imagine having to be careful with them when having to do multiple Dark Chasm runs is so fucking bullshit.

Top Bottom