• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Mistel

Banned
I noticed that my fire longsword isnt really hurting the Black Gulch boss much, but it makes sense, since his whole area has fire and what not. So he clearly has resistance to it. What kind of element would work nicely against him?
Lightning is the Rotten's main elemental weakness, I'm surprised you're still using a fire longsword at this point.

Yeah..i'm done for today.

This fucking invader was gone, dead, vanquished, you name it. Well guess what? He just keeps coming back in this area. It's becoming ridiculous now and i;ve never had it before with an invader. His name is Woodland Child Victor.

Lightning is the Rotten's main elemental weakness, I'm surprised you're still using a fire longsword at this point.

Yep. Upgraded to + 6

I haven't really yet found a new weapon that i can go with for a while now, this sword is still doing quite nicely. I went for Ricard's Rapier for a while, but it's just not ideal for every fight, while the fire longsword definitely handles most.

Tarkus

I can't wait until the DS3 OT thins out and the one-timers go away. The thread now is just drive by posts and questions going unanswered. So many people are re-posting posts to get help because they're looked over. I wish I was far enough along to help them :(

Mistel

Banned
I thought there were just two Woodland Child invaders, like twins or something. You kill one, the other might show up, but you're OK after that.

They're not particularly hard anyway.
Victor and Gully are twins more less with identical equipment other than one having Orma the other having Reeve
Yep. Upgraded to + 6

I haven't really yet found a new weapon that i can go with for a while now, this sword is still doing quite nicely. I went for Ricard's Rapier for a while, but it's just not ideal for every fight, while the fire longsword definitely handles most.
There's the heide knight sword that you can get as a drop in heide which is stronger than the fire longsword you might enjoy. Ricard's really depends on how you use it to be effective but as you say it's quite situational.

Victor and Gully are twins more less with identical equipment other than one having Orma the other having Reeve

There's the heide knight sword that you can get as a drop in heide which is stronger than the fire longsword you might enjoy. Ricard's really depends on how you use it to be effective but as you say it's quite situational.

Exactly man. I used the rapier just now for the boss fight and killed him with it. When he did his attack, i went in with three nice strikes, great weapon for that fight. If i had went with my Dragonrider twinblade it would have never worked, way too slow. I also tried it with a whip, Simon Belmont style, but nope. The whip is great for those statues though

I recently sold all my unused weapons to Gavlan and a heide knight sword was probably among it. Probably not a good move by me. But i'll go and see if they drop.

Mike M

Nick N
I only sell dupes, and even then not frequently. The prices you get for anything is a laughable pittance, it's not exactly worth the effort.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im actually using the Magic Mace (now +4) that I found in the poison mists of Harvest Valley. think it works decently enough, and its slightly better than the Longsword I used to enjoy earlier.

So, Ive been exploring Earthen Peak, and I like this area. Lots of items that seems hard to find, and while I have found the boss fog, Im still just going around looking for those last three or four items that i havent found yet.

Anyways, nice to finally find the
mimic
. I have been paranoid of that ever since meeting the first guy way back in
Sens Fortress
, meaning I always make a hit first. I even ended up destroying
one chest because of this, and picked up some rubble. Quickly googled and found out that it had been some sweet upgrade material

I only sell dupes, and even then not frequently. The prices you get for anything is a laughable pittance, it's not exactly worth the effort.

Yeah true man. But i also did it to make the inventory a bit less cluttered.

Anyway, with Black Gulch done, i might go check out one of the DLC areas tomorrow. Since it's quite close.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ugh... I'm still stuck on Black Gulch god I really hate this place. The Rotten seems like he should be pretty easy but a combination of not getting my roll timing right, sometimes bad camera angles, and the fire pits always do me in.

Anyways, got some questions about infusing weapons. Here is what my dex build is right now:
VGR 18
END 20
VIT 15
ATN 4
STR 23
DEX 20
ADP 20
INT 3
FTH 6

My main weapon has been Falchion +7 that is giving me 204 ATK. I also have Ricard's Rapier +6 for 128 ATK. I have Leo Ring and Ring of Blades but I'm unsure to tell how much more ATK I'm getting out of those.

Right now I have a Bolt stone, Poison Stone, and Bleed Stone. It looks like all of those would drastically reduce the ATK of my Falchion. Best I can tell that is because all of those stones reduce my scaling from B to C. Is that right? Also would that reduction be made up for due to the new damage of the sword?

What confuses me is that when I look at infusing Ricard's Rapier each of those stones keep my scaling at an S level but if infused my ATK goes down from 128 to 89. What am I missing?

Is it even worth it to infuse weapons or am I better off just continuing to reinforce them?

Morfeo

Ugh... I'm still stuck on Black Gulch god I really hate this place. The Rotten seems like he should be pretty easy but a combination of not getting my roll timing right, sometimes bad camera angles, and the fire pits always do me in.

Anyways, got some questions about infusing weapons. Here is what my dex build is right now:
VGR 18
END 20
VIT 15
ATN 4
STR 23
DEX 20
ADP 20
INT 3
FTH 6

My main weapon has been Falchion +7 that is giving me 204 ATK. I also have Ricard's Rapier +6 for 128 ATK. I have Leo Ring and Ring of Blades but I'm unsure to tell how much more ATK I'm getting out of those.

Right now I have a Bolt stone, Poison Stone, and Bleed Stone. It looks like all of those would drastically reduce the ATK of my Falchion. Best I can tell that is because all of those stones reduce my scaling from B to C. Is that right? Also would that reduction be made up for due to the new damage of the sword?

What confuses me is that when I look at infusing Ricard's Rapier each of those stones keep my scaling at an S level but if infused my ATK goes down from 128 to 89. What am I missing?

Is it even worth it to infuse weapons or am I better off just continuing to reinforce them?

The thing with magic, poison, fire, bolt, bleed effect, is that enemies have various resistance to it, meaning 50 damage in for instance magic, may give both a better or worse effect than 50 point in physical, depending on the enemy. I like to give varied damage though, in case of some nice weaknesses, so i try to upgrade various weapons with those abilities, and then you can test it out on a hard boss or something if you have trouble.

VGR 18
END 20
VIT 15
ATN 4
STR 23
DEX 20
ADP 20
INT 3
FTH 6

Hey man. What I did was two summons, which I rather not do because I want to be able to do it without help too, but I was just tired of this place. Become human and summon the two guys, you should see the signs if you come from the first bonfire.

I used Richard's Rapier +6 and used gold pine resin on it. Go to the boss and immediately run away from him and let the two summons distract him. Use the Rapier as a two hander and do the heavy attack on his back. Watch his pattern of attacks. When unsure, move away. Make sure you keep your health up. Let the summons do their thing while you do the three strikes on his back. Mix the heavy attacks with light attacks and especially don't get greedy. Like I did and I died twice because of that.

I am sure there are plenty other good strategies. I tried magic but didn't work for me. You should be able to avoid all his attacks except for one if you keep standing close to him. Good luck man. Oh and make sure you find that second bonfire, very handy.

Lumine

I found the trick to the Rotten was (as a Melee) to not be constantly locked-on to him. Circle-strafing around while being locked on was too slow. So I would lock on as soon as I noticed he would strike at me to make sure I would block his attack. Then I would disable the lock-on so I could run to his backside much faster. At least that's how I managed to get him. Hope that helps!

Mistel

Banned

VGR 18
END 20
VIT 15
ATN 4
STR 23
DEX 20
ADP 20
INT 3
FTH 6

Ricards Rapier loses a large part of its physical damage once infused but it keeps S scaling on DEX whilst the Falchion keeps physical damage but losses the scaling more or less. Leo ring is thrust counter damage so it's not directly giving you more ATK but it does improve your output the ring of blades is +20/30/50 depending on the version. Just out of interest if you're doing DEX why is it only 20 when ricards requires 25 which is reducing the damage you deal?

DietRob

The thing with magic, poison, fire, bolt, bleed effect, is that enemies have various resistance to it, meaning 50 damage in for instance magic, may give both a better or worse effect than 50 point in physical, depending on the enemy. I like to give varied damage though, in case of some nice weaknesses, so i try to upgrade various weapons with those abilities, and then you can test it out on a hard boss or something if you have trouble.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to upgrade a couple of weapons with various magic. I'll look into that.

Hey man. What I did was two summons, which I rather not do because I want to be able to do it without help too, but I was just tired of this place. Become human and summon the two guys, you should see the signs if you come from the first bonfire.

I used Richard's Rapier +6 and used gold pine resin on it. Go to the boss and immediately run away from him and let the two summons distract him. Use the Rapier as a two hander and do the heavy attack on his back. Watch his pattern of attacks. When unsure, move away. Make sure you keep your health up. Let the summons do their thing while you do the three strikes on his back. Mix the heavy attacks with light attacks and especially don't get greedy. Like I did and I died twice because of that.

I am sure there are plenty other good strategies. I tried magic but didn't work for me. You should be able to avoid all his attacks except for one if you keep standing close to him. Good luck man. Oh and make sure you find that second bonfire, very handy.

I've summoned Lucatile from her sign by the second bond fire but she was pretty useless and died relatively quick. For now I've just left the area and went back to explore a bit more in the Bastile now that I had a branch of yore to get that statue out of the way. I was able to win the boss fight there thankfully.

Ricards Rapier loses a large part of its physical damage once infused but it keeps S scaling on DEX whilst the Falchion keeps physical damage but losses the scaling more or less. Leo ring is thrust counter damage so it's not directly giving you more ATK but it does improve your output the ring of blades is +20/30/50 depending on the version. Just out of interest if you're doing DEX why is it only 20 when ricards requires 25 which is reducing the damage you deal?

I think I transposed STR and DEX. After my exploration last night I was able to level DEX up to 30. I also found a soul vessel last night so I could go back to the old ladies at the start and reallocate. If I do that what would your recommendations be on point allocation ?

Mistel

Banned
I think I transposed STR and DEX. After my exploration last night I was able to level DEX up to 30. I also found a soul vessel last night so I could go back to the old ladies at the start and reallocate. If I do that what would your recommendations be on point allocation ?
If you're staying DEX then just drop STR to the minimum requirements is pretty much all I'd suggest without knowing how you want to progress build wise but I suggest that you invest in getting to dual wield its a good boost for DEX builds damage wise and will give you more variety.

DietRob

If you're staying DEX then just drop STR to the minimum requirements is pretty much all I'd suggest without knowing how you want to progress build wise but I suggest that you invest in getting to dual wield its a good boost for DEX builds damage wise and will give you more variety.

Thank you I'll have to look through my weapons and see how low I can take strength. I'm not around my PS4 right now but I think I should be able to safely take it down to 15 or so.

After dumping STR should I split those levels between DEX/ADP/END or what?

Mistel

Banned
Thank you I'll have to look through my weapons and see how low I can take strength. I'm not around my PS4 right now but I think I should be able to safely take it down to 15 or so.

After dumping STR should I split those levels between DEX/ADP/END or what?
DEX/VIT/END and ADP if you've not got at least 100 agility. If you want to dual wield then DEX/STR/END/VIT.

DietRob

DEX/VIT/END and ADP if you've not got at least 100 agility. If you want to dual wield then DEX/STR/END/VIT.

I don't think I'll want to dual wield I've been trying to get better at rolling to avoid attacks but I still rely on my shield a lot. I've also never been able to parry and when I do it's almost always just me getting lucky. Last night I went back to the starting areas to practice parry on the weak guys laying around that tree.

I can't wait until the DS3 OT thins out and the one-timers go away. The thread now is just drive by posts and questions going unanswered. So many people are re-posting posts to get help because they're looked over. I wish I was far enough along to help them :(

I'm just avoiding it because I know some people are reckless and post spoilers without tagging. I'm nearing the end of the game though so I might hop in.

I got ~200k souls from selling all the crap I acquired. I put everything I like in my box, took everything I want to sell out of my box, and sold everything. Weapons, armour, consumables I will never use, etc. Albeit I was at a point where I needed 300k souls to level up, but still, helped me get there.

VGR 18
END 20
VIT 15
ATN 4
STR 23
DEX 20
ADP 20
INT 3
FTH 6

He is a very, very slow boss. Just take your time with him. Speaking of tar pits, one time I had him down to about 10% health, and I was low on health too, so I rolled back to heal...right into a tar pit of fire :(.

Well, lightning scales with faith I'm pretty sure, so using a bolt stone would reduce your regular damage, increase your lightning damage, which would then go up with your faith. Bleed & Poison I think reduce your attack because with bleed when you do enough hits and fill up the enemies bleed bar they take massive bleed damage, and poison does damage overtime. So I guess it's to compensate for those factors. I just strafe around him and roll then attack, he's really slow like I said :p

What is the benefit of ADT? I dont think Ive spent a single point in it yet.

ADT & ATT increase your Agility. The higher your agility, the quicker you use items(like estus, stones, etc) and you also get more iframes when rolling. You might roll a bit further too, I'm not entirely sure, but drinking estus quicker and more iframes are really important.

Mistel

Banned
I don't think I'll want to dual wield I've been trying to get better at rolling to avoid attacks but I still rely on my shield a lot. I've also never been able to parry and when I do it's almost always just me getting lucky. Last night I went back to the starting areas to practice parry on the weak guys laying around that tree.
In that case you might focus on rolling more than parrying it might come more naturally to you than parrying.
ADT & ATT increase your Agility. The higher your agility, the quicker you use items(like estus, stones, etc) and you also get more iframes when rolling. You might roll a bit further too, I'm not entirely sure, but drinking estus quicker and more iframes are really important.
It doesn't increase the distance you roll that stays the same it's the I frames.

Since you guys recommended me to get the Heide Knight Sword, I've been farming in the area of Heide's tower of flame, hoping to get that sword but I've had no luck. If the Heide knights even drop an item it's their helmet. The bigger knights drop items a lot more often. Any other ways to get this sword and if not, what other swords are recommended after the fire Longsword +6 that i have been using up till now?

Or i am going have to wait until i meet Gavlan again and hopefully he has the sword in his inventory. There's a good chance i sold it to him. Stupid me.

Mistel

Banned
Since you guys recommended me to get the Heide Knight Sword, I've been farming in the area of Heide's tower of flame, hoping to get that sword but I've had no luck. If the Heide knights even drop an item it's their helmet. The bigger knights drop items a lot more often. Any other ways to get this sword and if not, what other swords are recommended after the fire Longsword +6 that i have been using up till now?
It will take a bit of time due to there not being a guaranteed drop anymore but it is worth it, but if you don't want to farm it you could use a Drangleic Sword, Sun Sword, Broadsword, Drakekeeper sword, Claymore, uninfused Longsword, Estoc, or a Bastard Sword. Some of those will take farming but most are available from merchants or as loot.

It will take a bit of time due to there not being a guaranteed drop anymore but it is worth it, but if you don't want to farm it you could use a Drangleic Sword, Sun Sword, Broadsword, Drakekeeper sword, Claymore, uninfused Longsword, Estoc, or a Bastard Sword. Some of those will take farming but most are available from merchants or as loot.

Thanks man. Yeah the thing is, i don't mind farming but the problem is that after having used the bonfire a lot here, several of these Heide Knights don't spawn anymore.

As for the swords you mentioned, I have a lot of NPCs in Majula now. I'm sure i will find one of those there.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks man. Yeah the thing is, i don't mind farming but the problem is that after having used the bonfire a lot here, several of these Heide Knights don't spawn anymore.

As for the swords you mentioned, I have a lot of NPCs in Majula now. I'm sure i will find one of those there.
Just join champions for farming equipment it'll mean they respawn again and wont despawn. Lenigrast has some of those weapons so pick which one you want others are further afield.

Morfeo

You could buy some standard sword from the blacksmith in majuula that all are better than the fire Longsword. Personally, I mostly use a regular Longsword or the magic mace from harvest valley, both which generally works better imo.

RiggyRob

Episode 28, myself vs. Vendrick: https://youtu.be/l7qXL3amK_4

Unfortunately I didn't realise the Ancient Dragon gives you the final Soul of a Giant to reduce Vendrick's health/defence, so I had to speed this fight up a little.

I'm not really a fan of 'endurance' bosses where you just have to be patient, keep dodging and hitting them when possible, I much prefer the high intensity fights. The soft music is a nice touch though.

Just join champions for farming equipment it'll mean they respawn again and wont despawn. Lenigrast has some of those weapons so pick which one you want others are further afield.

Oh you mean that covenant that is in Majula? I could do that and when i am done, i'll rejoin the covenant of the Blue again. Great idea. So imight just yet get that sword after all. I'll try this tomorow.

You could buy some standard sword from the blacksmith in majuula that all are better than the fire Longsword. Personally, I mostly use a regular Longsword or the magic mace from harvest valley, both which generally works better imo.

I read on sites that the Fire Longsword was great to use in the beginning, but i clearly have stuck a bit too long with it. It's clear i now really need something else. I am glad you guys told me, because there was a chance i was going to upgrade the Fire Longsword even more.

Morfeo

Oh you mean that covenant that is in Majula? I could do that and when i am done, i'll rejoin the covenant of the Blue again. Great idea. So imight just yet get that sword after all. I'll try this tomorow.

I read on sites that the Fire Longsword was great to use in the beginning, but i clearly have stuck a bit too long with it. It's clear i now really need something else. I am glad you guys told me, because there was a chance i was going to upgrade the Fire Longsword even more.

Honestly, its my first time playing so i dont really know, but the Fire Longsword has been in my rotation, and i was disappointed by it all the times I used it - which is why I wrote what I wrote. Progressed to the Iron Keep now btw, after killing the Medusa-like boss in Earthen Peak. Pretty weak girl overall, but this Iron Keep is seriously some epic stuff, maybe i overlooked something, but i actually had to use my first homeward here because i was both empty of estus', and had both my main weapons at risk. Really cool area though, and so looking forward to a ring that lets me survive some more heat!

Mistel

Banned

It isn't really that great compared to the Heide knight sword which is available just as early as the fire Longsword. And yes Champions is one of the covenants in Majula.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like I'm stuck again. I've beat 2 bosses, the Last Giant and the Pursuer. I'm in the Lost Bastille, and I'm faced with another boss (I know what it is) but I don't feel like I should be facing this one yet. So I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

Mistel

Banned
I feel like I'm stuck again. I've beat 2 bosses, the Last Giant and the Pursuer. I'm in the Lost Bastille, and I'm faced with another boss (I know what it is) but I don't feel like I should be facing this one yet. So I'm not really sure what to do at this point.
If you go to Heide you can access another path which you'll probably find easier.

Morfeo

I fought him...but I didn't beat him. That area is kinda hard, especially with those White Knights running around.

EDIT: So, I ended up beating him pretty easily this time, and I got down to No Man's Wharf. I kinda like this area.

Sounds like you are on the right path! No Mans Wharf is fun :)

Neoweee

I'm looking to do a Strength-based, light-weight shield-less dual-weild build that makes use of switching between Power Stance, one-handing, and two-handing, and Company of Champions. I've already got about 5 hours in, and I'm not liking my choices so far (the Power Stance double-Mace move set is complete trash, even if R2 is a staggering monster).

Suggestions?

I fought him...but I didn't beat him. That area is kinda hard, especially with those White Knights running around.

EDIT: So, I ended up beating him pretty easily this time, and I got down to No Man's Wharf. I kinda like this area.

The White Knights aren't awake until you beat the Dragon Rider. They are completely passive until then.

Definitely grab the item in the chest in front of the boss room, if you haven't. By far one of the most used rings in the game, so much that they basically made its effect baseline in DS3.

god, i hate that there are like 20 enemies that spawn on the way to having some chit chat with Vendrick. Luckily, I seem to not have much to say to him until i bring him his crowns so i wont be back for a while!

Sounds like you are on the right path! No Mans Wharf is fun :)
I really didn't like that area, probably my least favorite in the game to be honest, just seemed cobbled together with no real thought behind it. Shrine of Amana and Black Gulch aren't too great either but at least they looked really unique and the latter was easy enough to run through.

The Gutter was like "let's take Blighttown, put the whole thing on stilts, and also annoy you really early on by showing you a bonfire and then pulling the rug right from under you when you try to get to it."

the black gulch area is only slightly less annoying in comparison

though if they did away with all poison areas in souls games i would totally be okay with it

Jake2by4

The Gutter was like "let's take Blighttown, put the whole thing on stilts, and also annoy you really early on by showing you a bonfire and then pulling the rug right from under you when you try to get to it."

though if they did away with all poison areas in souls games i would totally be okay with it

The gutter kept me on my toes to make sure I didn't make a wrong move to fall off.

I actually liked the Gutter, it was Blighttown 2.0 yeah but lighting the torches was cool and the framerate was above 15 fps :)

I actually didn't like the Lost Bastille which seems to be a bit unpopular, the branching paths seemed more of an annoyance than good design and I thought it was pretty ugly. Ruin Sentinels was a good bossfight though.

Neoweee

I'm looking to do a Strength-based, light-weight shield-less dual-weild build that makes use of switching between Power Stance, one-handing, and two-handing, and Company of Champions. I've already got about 5 hours in, and I'm not liking my choices so far (the Power Stance double-Mace move set is complete trash, even if R2 is a staggering monster).

So. Double Great Machete looks like a tremendously fun moveset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKb-uv92peQ

KingBroly

Banned
The White Knights aren't awake until you beat the Dragon Rider. They are completely passive until then.

Nope. There were 2 along the left path at the fork that were always awoken by my presence. I thankfully got out of there before the Dragon killed me.

After getting to near the end of No Man's Wharf I'm a bit perplexed at what I'm supposed to do next. I have the shortcut back, and I've met the Sorcerer, but...how to get to the boss?

And I do like No Man's Wharf. Except the Spider Men.

Also, I heard a while ago that the PC version has a Durability glitch of some kind, so I'm wondering if that got fixed or if I should go download an infinite durability mod of some kind.

Top Bottom