• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Neoweee

Also, I heard a while ago that the PC version has a Durability glitch of some kind, so I'm wondering if that got fixed or if I should go download an infinite durability mod of some kind.

It was in all versions of SOFTS, and has since been fixed. It was 2x loss to durability when hitting walls or corpses, which was a serious issue for specific weapons and weapon types.

After getting to near the end of No Man's Wharf I'm a bit perplexed at what I'm supposed to do next. I have the shortcut back, and I've met the Sorcerer, but...how to get to the boss?
There's a bell near the top of the level with a switch.

If i join the Covenant of Champions, the game will become harder, right? But if i were to leave the covenant after a while, will the difficulty go back to what it was? Cause if not, joining them simply for farming and hoping to find the Heide Sword is not going to be worth that i think.

EDIT

Nevermind, i googled it. Should be ok again when i leave the covenant.

Anyway, as we speak i found the Heide Knight Sword, awwww yessssss. Now for some uprading at the blacksmith.

Ok i just compared the stats, the Fire Longsword +6 does a physical ATK of 125 while the Heide Knight Sword (base) does 75. Of course i upgraded the Fire Longsword quite a few times, so that makes sense. And the fire damage of the Fire Longsword is of course a lot better. But in terms of reduction, the Heide Knight Sword is a lot better indeed. Does this only apply when i hold the sword with two hands and block or at all times?

I'm going to upgrade it as much as possible now and then i infuse it as well. What is a good infusion for this sword?

Mistel

Banned
So. Double Great Machete looks like a tremendously fun moveset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKb-uv92peQ
Yeah it looks fun but they're rather finicky and rarely work that well and rather low durability. If you want light STR weapons and don't want maces then broadswords, drakekeeper swords, bandit axes, dragon slayers crescent axes, estocs, manikin claws (very fun moveset), and maybe if you want do something completely out there shadow daggers or bandit knives.

Haha, good fucking luck

Haha, well I gave it a shot. I managed to kill several baddies, until i came to this small building with insect kind of things, its poison got to me and broke all my equipment. Which meant i had to go back.

I have upgraded the Heide Knight Sword to +8. I now need three Titanite Chunks to upgrade it further. Is it recommended to put any elements on this sword?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have upgraded the Heide Knight Sword to +8. I now need three Titanite Chunks to upgrade it further. Is it recommended to put any elements on this sword?
Lightning infusion works well especially if you have a high faith stat, but probably not that good otherwise. Or at least get a backup weapon that does pure physical damage in case you meet something resistant to lightning.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I really didn't like that area, probably my least favorite in the game to be honest, just seemed cobbled together with no real thought behind it. Shrine of Amana and Black Gulch aren't too great either but at least they looked really unique and the latter was easy enough to run through.

I liked the theme (vikings) and the fact that there were at least two ways of tackling the area, with or without the lights. But yeah, its nowhere near the top of Souls-levels for sure.

The Gutter was like "let's take Blighttown, put the whole thing on stilts, and also annoy you really early on by showing you a bonfire and then pulling the rug right from under you when you try to get to it."

the black gulch area is only slightly less annoying in comparison

though if they did away with all poison areas in souls games i would totally be okay with it

Hmm? I had no problem finding the first bonfire in the Gutter? Edit: And Blighttown 2.0? More like Valley of Defilement 3.0 amirite?

Lightning infusion works well especially if you have a high faith stat, but probably not that good otherwise. Or at least get a backup weapon that does pure physical damage in case you meet something resistant to lightning.

Ah nice. My faith is at 21 and i want it at least at 22 so i can use the lightning spear. Perfect. What is a good way to earn some nice amounts of souls? Any particular equipment or places?

Morfeo

Haha, well I gave it a shot. I managed to kill several baddies, until i came to this small building with insect kind of things, its poison got to me and broke all my equipment. Which meant i had to go back.

What is the physical damage when you get it to +8? Might consider upgrading mine too, as a suplementary weapon.

Neoweee

Ah nice. My faith is at 21 and i want it at least at 22 so i can use the lightning spear. Perfect. What is a good way to earn some nice amounts of souls? Any particular equipment or places?

Lightning Spear is disappointing. You need a lot of Attunement for it to get a decent number of casts per stack.

What is the physical damage when you get it to +8? Might consider upgrading mine too, as a suplementary weapon.

I quit playing already and i am about to leave the house. I'm playing it tomorrow again, if nobody has told you yet, i'll let you know. :)

Lightning Spear is disappointing. You need a lot of Attunement for it to get a decent number of casts per stack.

Oh that's a really good thing know, thanks. I might just not do that at all then. I'll probably up my ADP some more, that's never a bad thing.

Iron keep is really good when you get to it.

I have Iron Keep on my fast travel menu, so i can definitely give that a shot tomorrow. I was planning on giving the Crown of the sunken King DLC tomorrow, but if that turns out to be too tough, i can check out Iron Keep.

Neoweee

Oh that's a really good thing know, thanks. I might just not do that at all then. I'll probably up my ADP some more, that's never a bad thing.

I should clarify:

Lightning Spear is disappointing if your goal is to get 22 Faith to use it as a supplemental spell.

Miracles and Pyromancies benefit much more from Attunement than Sorceries and Miracles. At 50 Attunement, you get 3x the base number of casts for Lightning Spear, and 4x the base cast for Flame Swathe, and you can double or triple those by just equipping more of the spells to your slots.

You can always respect to shuffle things around.

Morfeo

So, been trying about 8 times on the boss in Iron Keep. He seems perfectly beatable, but I do very little damage each time, and he basically kills me if i do one mistake. So even when i block/dodge more or less perfect, i can screw up in one situation and die. Anyways, this means i now have an awesome bloodstain in the boss room, probably about 90k souls, so naturally, i can not fuck up on the way, which is pretty hard to do really, with the pushovers guarding the way. There is one threat though, invasion, and of course I did get invaded on my way to the boss. I dont know what happens to my bloodstain if I die in an invasion, but i imagine i will loose it, so i kinda panicked and did something ive never done before. I unplugged my ps3. So, i guess i need to know, will that give the invader an automatical win? Will i loose my bloodstain in the boss room, and maybe most interestingly, what would have happened to the bloodstain if i had actually gotten killed by the invader?

Neoweee

True Story: I just died to Covetous Demon, Company of Champions, twice. Fighting it as my... 5th? boss. His tail whack was a 1HKO.

So, been trying about 8 times on the boss in Iron Keep. He seems perfectly beatable, but I do very little damage each time, and he basically kills me if i do one mistake. So even when i block/dodge more or less perfect, i can screw up in one situation and die. Anyways, this means i now have an awesome bloodstain in the boss room, probably about 90k souls, so naturally, i can not fuck up on the way, which is pretty hard to do really, with the pushovers guarding the way. There is one threat though, invasion, and of course I did get invaded on my way to the boss. I dont know what happens to my bloodstain if I die in an invasion, but i imagine i will loose it, so i kinda panicked and did something ive never done before. I unplugged my ps3. So, i guess i need to know, will that give the invader an automatical win? Will i loose my bloodstain in the boss room, and maybe most interestingly, what would have happened to the bloodstain if i had actually gotten killed by the invader?

Which boss? There's one optional and one required in there.

You should get to your corpse and Homeward Bone out. For the love of all that is holy. Spend those souls! #1 rule of Souls game is don't lose souls.

Morfeo

Which boss? There's one optional and one required in there.

You should get to your corpse and Homeward Bone out. For the love of all that is holy. Spend those souls! #1 rule of Souls game is don't lose souls.

Optional. Didnt even think about this option, thanks!

Mike M

Nick N
I have Iron Keep on my fast travel menu, so i can definitely give that a shot tomorrow. I was planning on giving the Crown of the sunken King DLC tomorrow, but if that turns out to be too tough, i can check out Iron Keep.
Enemies in Sunken King are waaaay tougher than Iron Keep, I think. I was at Iron Keep ages ago and able to poise break and stun lock the knights to death relatively easily at the time. Now, many soul levels later, I've got a Sun Sword+10 and Espada Ropera+10 in either hand and 50/50 STR/DEX, and the Sanctum Guards still put up a tougher fight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fume Knight continues to hand my ass to me over and over again.

I wish potion drinking wasn't so excruciatingly slow in this game.

edit: got the bastard! Damn that was tough.

Enemies in Sunken King are waaaay tougher than Iron Keep, I think. I was at Iron Keep ages ago and able to poise break and stun lock the knights to death relatively easily at the time. Now, many soul levels later, I've got a Sun Sword+10 and Espada Ropera+10 in either hand and 50/50 STR/DEX, and the Sanctum Guards still put up a tougher fight.
That reminds me, should I even bother leveling up DEX after my STR hits 50 if I plan to exclusively stick to Greatswords and Great Hammers?
Fume Knight continues to hand my ass to me over and over again.

I wish potion drinking wasn't so excruciatingly slow in this game.

edit: got the bastard! Damn that was tough.
Adaptability affects item use speed.

Mistel

Banned
That reminds me, should I even bother leveling up DEX after my STR hits 50 if I plan to exclusively stick to Greatswords and Great Hammers?

Not really but if you're using any of the slightly DEX orientated greatswords then raise it.

Hmm? I had no problem finding the first bonfire in the Gutter? Edit: And Blighttown 2.0? More like Valley of Defilement 3.0 amirite?
well the one time i was approaching that bonfire I had the whole platform completely collapse so i never got to it lol. Made the whole thing much more tense as I had to make it to the second bonfire in one go.

the biggest pain in the ass now is that i want to go back to get Havel's set but since i never found the first bonfire in the gutter i have to start all the way back from Majula. Meh.

Neoweee

I went with double Halbered-type weapons (regular Halbered and Dark Scythe(?)). The Power Stance L2 is awesome. Does two-hand stance with Halberd have a greater coefficient change than compared to one-hand than most weapons do? There seems like a huge difference.

Thanks man!

Hey man. I have a screenshot of all it's stats here.

http://i.imgur.com/khopiA9.jpg

Hmmm, well i managed quite well there with the Heide Knight Sword +8. I got to the part with poisoneous insects that destroyed my equipment almost instantly. But those baddies with swords, spears, bows are actually pretty easy to kill for me.

Mistel

Banned
I went with double Halbered-type weapons (regular Halbered and Dark Scythe(?)). The Power Stance L2 is awesome. Does two-hand stance with Halberd have a greater coefficient change than compared to one-hand than most weapons do? There seems like a huge difference.
Two handed halberds are generally stronger two handed only some of the great axes and maybe the great hammers benefit as well to a halberd being two handed really. Although the powerstance moveset is dire for halberds/reapers.

Mike M

Nick N
Hmmm, well i managed quite well there with the Heide Knight Sword +8. I got to the part with poisoneous insects that destroyed my equipment almost instantly. But those baddies with swords, spears, bows are actually pretty easy to kill for me.
I didn't mean to imply they were hard, they just have more HP, poise, and damage output than Alonne Knights in Iron Keep.

I didn't mean to imply they were hard, they just have more HP, poise, and damage output than Alonne Knights in Iron Keep.

Ah I see, ok man.

I have a question about the weapon stats by the way.

Physical reduction on this sword for example is 50. Does that mean this stat applies to whenever i use the sword or only when i use it to block?

anyone taken on Vendrick without a giant's soul in your inventory? I popped all of my souls and now i can only get maybe 1-2 giant souls, wondering if that's even doable or worth the effort.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I raised it up to 32 (?) so I could get 105 Agility without touching Attunement, but it still feels super slow.

Maybe it's just because I played so much Bloodborne and Dark Souls III since the last time I played Dark Souls II.

Oh lord... Decided to visit iron keep again. Managed to kill the first invader pretty easily but the second one, Armorer Dennis is a huge prick with some very annoying magic. On top of that i do little damage to him. I wish there was a summon sign here but there's not. No problem killing the first enemy knight that comes running at me neither. Goddamn these invaders man, some of them that is.

Thought of infusing my Heide Knight Sword until i saw how much other stats it degrades. :(

Mistel

Banned
anyone taken on Vendrick without a giant's soul in your inventory? I popped all of my souls and now i can only get maybe 1-2 giant souls, wondering if that's even doable or worth the effort.
Well he'll have 32 X defenses with none and lowest at 8 X for you with two it's doable but'll take a while.
Thought of infusing my Heide Knight Sword until i saw how much other stats it degrades. :(
It really doesn't degrade that much at all other than the DEX scaling which isn't what you should be relying on for scaling on a quality weapon.

When you block.

Hmm, in that case it won't mean much for me. Because i block with my shield. Now and then I use my sword two handed though.

Well he'll have 32 X defenses with none and lowest at 8 X for you with two it's doable but'll take a while.

It really doesn't degrade that much at all other than the DEX scaling which isn't what you should be relying on for scaling on a quality weapon.

There's something I don't fully understand. When i look at the physical attack of my sword it says : 135 + 62. The 62 is blue but what does it stand for? This is probably a very basic question but i really have no idea what it means.

Lightning attack is 82 + 32.

When i go to Steady hand Mcduff and i go to infuse weapon and stand on lightning, it says my physical attack will go from 135 to 113. If i do this, what happens to that 62?

Lightning attack goes from 82 to 127. You are right about the reductions, most of them go from 50 to 48.7 and so on. Lighting defense improves by going from 35 to 45.

Would you say this is a worthy investment?

There's something I don't fully understand. When i look at the physical attack of my sword it says : 135 + 62. The 62 is blue but what does it stand for? This is probably a very basic question but i really have no idea what it means.

Lightning attack is 82 + 32.

When i go to Steady hand Mcduff and i go to infuse weapon and stand on lightning, it says my physical attack will go from 135 to 113. If i do this, what happens to that 62?

Lightning attack goes from 82 to 127. You are right about the reductions, most of them go from 50 to 48.7 and so on. Lighting defense improves by going from 35 to 45.
it the stat bonus from your skills, such as strength and dex. some weapons scale to your stats so if you have a weapon that does 100 but it scales to your strength stat then the blue number is the bonus youre getting from the weapon scaling to that stat.

it the stat bonus from your skills, such as strength and dex. some weapons scale to your stats so if you have a weapon that does 100 but it scales to your strength stat then the blue number is the bonus youre getting from the weapon scaling to that stat.

Ok, so if i were to infuse this sword that bonus won't go away? Because in the infusion menu i don't see the blue numbers at all for some reason which makes me afraid that this bonus will be removed.

Mike M

Nick N
Ok, so if i were to infuse this sword that bonus won't go away? Because in the infusion menu i don't see the blue numbers at all for some reason which makes me afraid that this bonus will be removed.
Infusing weapons generally comes at the cost of reduced scaling/base damage, but adds additional damage/build up of your chosen infusion.

Some weapons are best left uninfused, others can be pretty deadly.

Thanks guys. I infused the Heide Knight Sword with lightning, so that should be nice. I'm probably gonna go to Shaded Woods now because...heh,here we go again, this fucking NPC invader in Iron Keep, Armorer dennis keeps ruining my goddamn life. For some reason he seems incredibly OP for me. His attacks do massive damage, he can easily break through my shield and he has some pretty damaging magic. I just can't beat him, i just can't. Good lord what a prick.

Morfeo

well the one time i was approaching that bonfire I had the whole platform completely collapse so i never got to it lol. Made the whole thing much more tense as I had to make it to the second bonfire in one go.

the biggest pain in the ass now is that i want to go back to get Havel's set but since i never found the first bonfire in the gutter i have to start all the way back from Majula. Meh.

Ah that explains it then, bad luck :(

Hey man. I have a screenshot of all it's stats here.

http://i.imgur.com/khopiA9.jpg

Wow, thanks alot for this! Definitely going to start upgrading it when i get materials, and put it into my rotation.

Speaking of rotation though, I actually used the Magic Mace that i found in Harvest Valley to take down the Smelter Demon. This was by far the hardest fight in the game so far, but oh so fun! I ended up learning him pretty well, so I ditched the shield, two-handed the weapon for about 150 damage with each hit, and then just strafed/dodged and showed a ton of patience. Of course the fire damage simply for getting close to him, would be enough to kill me most times, but after probably 40+ tries where i always felt like I could get him, I finally did it just now - and it feels so freaking good man. Only used 4 estus flasks as well. Not a very original fight, but a very, very satisfying one!

Just summon someone then to help? Plus the stone ring to help stun him.

But how? There's no summon signs at all here, none whatsoever. I made sure i was human and i looked around everywhere in the starting area of Iron Keep. Only messages and bloodstains, but no summon signs at all. :(

Also...i keep having this incredibly annoying issue, i am playing the Xbox One version. I start the game up and when it says Retrieving latest calibrations it's taking ridiculously long to do that. It really does this every day now. If i had to guess it takes about 5 minutes to finally load it up and tell me there's nothing new...sigh.

I've tried a hard reset already and that didn't help it at all. There have been a few times that it would load it really quick but most of the time it takes ages. What can i do?

Morfeo

So, it seems I now have unlimited Large Titanite Shards, but i still havent found a decent source of the smaller shards. Will i never find that? A bit strange that i still havent got that imo.

Mistel

Banned
So, it seems I now have unlimited Large Titanite Shards, but i still havent found a decent source of the smaller shards. Will i never find that? A bit strange that i still havent got that imo.
Chloanne sells them later on in unlimited supplies.
But how? There's no summon signs at all here, none whatsoever. I made sure i was human and i looked around everywhere in the starting area of Iron Keep. Only messages and bloodstains, but no summon signs at all. :(
There's a lot of summon signs but your soul memory range is probably outside of the summoning range for them. You could also swap your armor to something stronger which will let you live for a bit longer.

Chloanne sells them later on in unlimited supplies.

There's a lot of summon signs but your soul memory range is probably outside of the summoning range for them. You could also swap your armor to something stronger which will let you live for a bit longer.

Yeah i tried it with Havel's armor, i tried it with Auromos armor, but this invader is just terrible. Man i'd kill for a summon sign right now....kind of. :)

I wasn't aware that the reason i am not seeing summon signs is because of my soul memory. I love the Dark Souls games, but man...at times i'm like....''a little bit of explanation here and there can't hurt From, really.''

Soul memory is what i have collected in total so far, right? Not the amount i have on me right now, correct?

Morfeo

I actually have a rule that I never use summons, since I think that kinda detracts from the experience of mastering the game fully. Remember using a summon in Demons Souls (for Penetrator) and that made the fight a complete joke, so i never did it again.

Mike M

Nick N
In my experience, dealing with caster invaders is a matter of waiting for a spell wind-up, then stabbing them with a rapier sword to break their poise (Maybe with the Stone Ring for good measure.). Armorer Dennis does some melee, though, so maybe get a shield with 100% physical blocking and good stability, hang close and block until he goes for a spell?

I actually have a rule that I never use summons, since I think that kinda detracts from the experience of mastering the game fully. Remember using a summon in Demons Souls (for Penetrator) and that made the fight a complete joke, so i never did it again.

Dude i can see where you're coming from, but for me....sometimes a summon is nessecary. If it's going to come to a point where the game becomes annoying, frustrating the hell out of me and ruining my fun...that summon is going to happen.

At times it's very tempting to summon someone before a boss, because i just want to press on and eventually finish it. I'm also somewhat in a hurry to start playing Dark Souls 3, i really want to play it but not before i finish this one. :)

In my experience, dealing with caster invaders is a matter of waiting for a spell wind-up, then stabbing them with a rapier sword to break their poise (Maybe with the Stone Ring for good measure.). Armorer Dennis does some melee, though, so maybe get a shield with 100% physical blocking and good stability, hang close and block until he goes for a spell?

Hmmm....not a bad idea. I have to admit that i haven't experimented a whole lot with different equipment for this little fight. I was using the metal shield with the pink rose on it, forgot the name. Has been my shield for a long time in the game now, since his magic and physical attacks really get to me, a different shield is probably not a bad idea. I'll look into this tomorrow.

If all else fails, i'll just go soul farming for a while somewhere, level up some more and beat his annoying ass. Or i could just visit a different location and come back later to this.

Mistel

Banned
Hmmm....not a bad idea. I have to admit that i haven't experimented a whole lot with different equipment for this little fight. I was using the metal shield with the pink rose on it, forgot the name. Has been my shield for a long time in the game now, since his magic and physical attacks really get to me, a different shield is probably not a bad idea. I'll look into this tomorrow.
That's a blossom kite shield, you probably want to try using a magic infused havels gretshield for dennis should get rid of all your problems.
Yeah i tried it with Havel's armor, i tried it with Auromos armor, but this invader is just terrible. Man i'd kill for a summon sign right now....kind of. :)

I wasn't aware that the reason i am not seeing summon signs is because of my soul memory. I love the Dark Souls games, but man...at times i'm like....''a little bit of explanation here and there can't hurt From, really.''

Soul memory is what i have collected in total so far, right? Not the amount i have on me right now, correct?
It is the total amount collected so far if you've passed a certain threshold then there are other options but I don't know your soul memory.

Morfeo

Dude i can see where you're coming from, but for me....sometimes a summon is nessecary. If it's going to come to a point where the game becomes annoying, frustrating the hell out of me and ruining my fun...that summon is going to happen.

At times it's very tempting to summon someone before a boss, because i just want to press on and eventually finish it. I'm also somewhat in a hurry to start playing Dark Souls 3, i really want to play it but not before i finish this one. :)

For sure, everybody has their style, nothing wrong with that. :)

Top Bottom