• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Mike M

Nick N
*First time through Dragon's Sanctum*
*Have a bunch of nigh invulnerable ghosts on my ass*
*Jester Thomas invades*
*Manage to bob and weave and kill Jester Thomas*
*Enter the mist and see giant slime monsters in knee-deep water*
*Still being chased by ghosts*
*See a bonfire in the distance*
*Light the bonfire just as one of the lizard things kills me*

KingBroly

Banned
Beat the boss of No Man's Wharf. That was a nice fight. It looped me back to where I was before, so I guess that's where I should be now, right?

Mike M

Nick N
Seriously, fuck Dragon Sanctum. Establishes early on that you have to destroy the statues to make the ghosts vulnerable, but then fucking hides the statues in the next encounter so you have them up your ass while looking for them (which I still haven't found, because hey, it's hard to explore and pay adequate attention to your surroundings when you have invincible ghosts up your ass).

RiggyRob

Episode 29, myself vs. Aava, the King's Pet: https://youtu.be/94ajp6G-DWw

Finally got around to editing some of the DLC fights, they're a pain mainly because they end up being a lot longer than the bosses in the main game. Aava just takes a bit of patience and slowing down your dodges to match her (his?) delayed swipes.

I actually had no idea that Aava is invisible for this if you don't stop the blizzard first, I think I just headed right from the entrance of Frozen Eleum Loyce and never looked the other way! Makes sense why Aava is semi-transparent now.

*Jester Thomas invades*

At least you managed to get it lit!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm looking for a good hex user build(for PvE)
Anyone knows one?
Pure caster?
Raise int and faith to 30 each at least, use the dark-infused Sunset Staff, dark-infused Caitha's Chime (later Chime of Want, earlier than that, I think the Archdrake Chime is fine), raise ATT pretty high to attune dark orb, dark hail (or whatever it's called), resonant soul, and maybe darkstorm. Pew pew your way to victory.

The only melee weapon my casting hexer used was a dagger, to backstab the lions in Shaded Woods. :)

Meccs

I have a question regarding the DLC that I bought but never played. I'm planing on doing so after I've finished DS3. I'm at NG+ in Dark Souls 2 and have a Mage that I would like to respec to a melee class since I'm so used to it now after Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

I can't remember how you respec in this game though. You did this at the witch in the first zone if I remember correctly but do I have to play NG+ to a certain point to do this or could I do it right away and get into the DLC?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have a question regarding the DLC that I bought but never played. I'm planing on doing so after I've finished DS3. I'm at NG+ in Dark Souls 2 and have a Mage that I would like to respec to a melee class since I'm so used to it now after Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

I can't remember how you respec in this game though. You did this at the witch in the first zone if I remember correctly but do I have to play NG+ to a certain point to do this or could I do it right away and get into the DLC?
You just need a Soul Vessel and talk to the old lady at the beginning.

I murdered Maughlin in Majula...like it was nothing. Solely for his clothing, man i am cold. Haha.

Will this have any repercussions later on? That's the thing with these games, you take a risk. Man i remember in Dark Souls when i had no idea how these games worked and i thought i was going to be able to just reload a savegame and all would be good again....i had tried to kill that knight that sits at Firelink Shrine. I was just fooling around, trying things out, i like to do that in a lot of games.

Well i had to start a new game, because i wasn't going to survive that fight and it was no fun not being able to explore that area in peace. Learned my lesson the hard way. :)

Pure caster?
Raise int and faith to 30 each at least, use the dark-infused Sunset Staff, dark-infused Caitha's Chime (later Chime of Want, earlier than that, I think the Archdrake Chime is fine), raise ATT pretty high to attune dark orb, dark hail (or whatever it's called), resonant soul, and maybe darkstorm. Pew pew your way to victory.

The only melee weapon my casting hexer used was a dagger, to backstab the lions in Shaded Woods. :)

Thanks. But why do i need 2 weapons?

That's a blossom kite shield, you probably want to try using a magic infused havels gretshield for dennis should get rid of all your problems.

It is the total amount collected so far if you've passed a certain threshold then there are other options but I don't know your soul memory.

Havel's shield requires 45 strength, i have 20 strength. So i won't be using it properly if i equip it.

As for souls memory.

I am all out of Human Effigies. Best way to get some?

I finished the Sunken King DLC. Meh. I didn't like the area at all and found the combination of ghost enemies along with poisonous enemies to be a pain in the fucking ass. Also, the area itself wasn't much of a looker nor was the design of it all that creative though i enjoyed seeing the return of shortcuts after there being so few of them in the actual game.

I loaded up the Crown of the Old Iron King DLC and holy shit, if you told me this area was pulled from DS3 I would believe it. It looks amazing. I hear it can be hard as shit though so maybe i'll come to it in the future as the sunken king stuff tired me out

Mistel

Banned
Havel's shield requires 45 strength, i have 20 strength. So i won't be using it properly if i equip it.

As for souls memory.

I am all out of Human Effigies. Best way to get some?
Well then you can just skip straight through the shrine of winter as your soul memory is above one million.
Thanks. But why do i need 2 weapons?
Chime and staff hexes require separate spell tools.
I murdered Maughlin in Majula...like it was nothing. Solely for his clothing, man i am cold. Haha.

Will this have any repercussions later on?
It can do.

Well then you can just skip straight through the shrine of winter as your soul memory is above one million.

Chime and staff hexes require separate spell tools.

It can do.

I went there and opened the door and used the fountain. It brings me to a place with some stones and a huge door that is closed.

That's dlc not the main progression route you go through the shrine to progress.

Ah i think i see what you mean. I went through the other door of that building and eventually ended up at
Drangleic Castle

The woman there tells me lots of suffering and pain awaits me there. :)

Odd though that i don't see a lot of summon signs when i have that big of a souls memory.

Mike M

Nick N
Odd though that i don't see a lot of summon signs when i have that big of a souls memory.
Not odd, that's how Soul Memory works. By the time you have enough to open the Shrine of Winter without all four Great Souls, you're above the memory level of a lot of players.

The area around the King's Gate bonfire is usually pretty active across a lot of levels, though.

Mistel

Banned
Ah i think i see what you mean. I went through the other door of that building and eventually ended up at
Drangleic Castle

The woman there tells me lots of suffering and pain awaits me there. :)

You did leave champions right? That's where you're meant to end up.

Neoweee

Still trying to find a good dual-wield build for a CoC run. Nothing's really clicked yet. A few standouts, but kind of meh:

- Bandit's Axe RH, Dragonslayer Crescent Axe LH. Great moveset options between the three stances.
- Claymore RH, Broadsword LH. I actually really like the Claymore's moveset, and I had never used it before. The combo has a bit more reach than the double-axe.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I just killed the Old Iron King - without taking damage. The fight looked very overwhelming at first, and of course I ended up falling straight into that hole in the ground. With his incredible slowness, it was pretty easy to dodge him though (as long as you didnt roll into the hole), so I once again two-handed the mace and killed him like a boss. And lighted the second primal bonfire i guess. Awesome game still!

Edit: And just went through Belfry Sol, that seemed pretty pointless?

Neoweee

So I just killed the Old Iron King - without taking damage. The fight looked very overwhelming at first, and of course I ended up falling straight into that hole in the ground. With his incredible slowness, it was pretty easy to dodge him though (as long as you didnt roll into the hole), so I once again two-handed the mace and killed him like a boss. And lighted the second primal bonfire i guess. Awesome game still!

Edit: And just went through Belfry Sol, that seemed pretty pointless?

Belfry Sol is a PVP zone.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Reinstalled this game last night since I'm riding the DS3 hype train but I don't plan to buy DS3 anytime soon. Realized I was in the final 5% of the vanilla game, so I'm going to try to finish up the G
iant
M
emories
tonight and maybe try to find all the keys to the DLC areas. I haven't touched any of the DLC zones yet so I'll probably work on those over the next few weeks. I've heard good things so I'm excited to check them out.

Morfeo

Belfry Sol is a PVP zone.

I kinda guessed that, considering the covenant leader was sitting there. Still thought there would be something for us non-pvp players though. Surprisingly didnt get invaded when I was there.

Btw, down in The Gutter now, and I kinda like this area. Its fun to light the torches and you really feel the progress when you do. Anyways, just got invaded, which kinda sucks here, since I had to unlight the torch to use my shield again. At least I vanquished the disturber, having pretty good stats now, by winning 4 out of the last 5 invasions (lost one in Iron Keep a few hours ago).

Neoweee

I'm getting fucking wrecked. I don't know what it is. Is CoC harder than I remember it? Are physical builds really drastically worse than than caster builds? Is this really that different from DS3?

I am getting ruined. I've lost so many souls. Combo'ed to death in every zone, while being almost certainly over-leveled. WTF.

EDIT: In hindsight, both of my previous CoC characters were casters, so I guess that explains it. I'm really not used to having to be this careful when fighting.

Is there any way to replenish spells without visiting bonfires?
I found the amount of dark orbs(23) i have is just not enough, and I didn't find another worthwhile hex yet.

Mistel

Banned
EDIT: In hindsight, both of my previous CoC characters were casters, so I guess that explains it. I'm really not used to having to be this careful when fighting.
After the lightning nerf not really but if you've only done caster actual fighting might be a larger step as it requires a lot of planing
Is there any way to replenish spells without visiting bonfires?
I found the amount of dark orbs(23) i have is just not enough, and I didn't find another worthwhile hex yet.
There's several consumables amber herb, twilight herb, whilted dusk herb, rouge water, and crimson water.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, fuck Dragon Sanctum. Establishes early on that you have to destroy the statues to make the ghosts vulnerable, but then fucking hides the statues in the next encounter so you have them up your ass while looking for them (which I still haven't found, because hey, it's hard to explore and pay adequate attention to your surroundings when you have invincible ghosts up your ass).

I hated that part. The whole Sunken King DLC was pretty shitty in my opinion. I'm liking Iron King a lot more.

Morfeo

The Gutter was pretty fun, came to the boss door and then homewarded back. Anyways, I have two questions, first, when I dont have the torch up, you can often see items as shining lights in the distance, and it seems like there are a lot I didnt get that are slightly above the general level in the gutter. Will the road take me back up after the boss, or is this a case of me simply overseeing a lot of roads? Second, there was this huge and probably poisonous monster in what appeared to be an empty cave, was there anything else there, or is this just a case of bad level design that this special monster leaded to a dead end?

RiggyRob

The Gutter was pretty fun, came to the boss door and then homewarded back. Anyways, I have two questions, first, when I dont have the torch up, you can often see items as shining lights in the distance, and it seems like there are a lot I didnt get that are slightly above the general level in the gutter. Will the road take me back up after the boss, or is this a case of me simply overseeing a lot of roads? Second, there was this huge and probably poisonous monster in what appeared to be an empty cave, was there anything else there, or is this just a case of bad level design that this special monster leaded to a dead end?

He's your friend!

As for items, you might want to hug the walls as much as possible so you see alternate paths/structures you can jump to.

Enemies in Sunken King are waaaay tougher than Iron Keep, I think. I was at Iron Keep ages ago and able to poise break and stun lock the knights to death relatively easily at the time. Now, many soul levels later, I've got a Sun Sword+10 and Espada Ropera+10 in either hand and 50/50 STR/DEX, and the Sanctum Guards still put up a tougher fight.

*Jester Thomas invades*

Seriously, it feels like something that was cut out of the game for not being up to the quality of the rest of the game but then repurposed for DLC so as to not have wasted that dev time.

It's awful. It looks terrible, it's full of annoying ghost enemies that basically fuck you up while you're trying to get around traps and spells being cast at you (yes i know how to kill them but they put their armor in a shitty place), and the boss fights are meh.

I kept hearing about how the DLCs are some of the best parts of DS2 and after getting the sunken crown i was like wtf are you people on?

But then I started playing the Iron Crown DLC and i now see what they mean. That DLC is so much better it's not even funny

RiggyRob

For real? Did I just kill another npc? :(

Nah, I was just kidding. It's completely non-aggressive, and the cloud it emits actually gets rid of poison, it doesn't poison you at all.

But other than that, it's worthless. You can't talk to it like other NPCs that look like monsters.

Morfeo

Is there any penalty for disconnecting my internet after being invaded?

I did this a few days ago, and no, there was no penalty for me at least.

Nah, I was just kidding. It's completely non-aggressive, and the cloud it emits actually gets rid of poison, it doesn't poison you at all.

But other than that, it's worthless. You can't talk to it like other NPCs that look like monsters.

Ok thanks, glad I didnt fuck up by killing another one. Already took out Gavlan by accident in No-Mans Wharf :(

Morfeo

It does corrode your equipment though so it's a catch 22 situation if you use the ant.

Doesnt sound like something for me then. I didnt really have trouble with poisoning there as I feared. Had way more trouble (as always) with the durability. And now Im at the next bonfire anyways :)

Mike M

Nick N
I hated that part. The whole Sunken King DLC was pretty shitty in my opinion. I'm liking Iron King a lot more.

Seriously, it feels like something that was cut out of the game for not being up to the quality of the rest of the game but then repurposed for DLC so as to not have wasted that dev time.

It's awful. It looks terrible, it's full of annoying ghost enemies that basically fuck you up while you're trying to get around traps and spells being cast at you (yes i know how to kill them but they put their armor in a shitty place), and the boss fights are meh.

I kept hearing about how the DLCs are some of the best parts of DS2 and after getting the sunken crown i was like wtf are you people on?

But then I started playing the Iron Crown DLC and i now see what they mean. That DLC is so much better it's not even funny

I kind of like the Sanctum City with the platform gimmick once you get beyond the gank squad camped just past the bonfire (and that hill full of archers is a chore too). Very Zelda-esque.

Neoweee

So I'm dual-wielding Katanas, I guess. They don't seem to have much poise damage, unfortunately.

CoC is really, really punishing for melee builds. I don't know what the general consensus is right now on PvE balance, but I'd definitely give the edge in CoC to caster builds, including Faith/Pyro/Melee hybrid builds.

Mistel

Banned
So I'm dual-wielding Katanas, I guess. They don't seem to have much poise damage, unfortunately.

CoC is really, really punishing for melee builds. I don't know what the general consensus is right now on PvE balance, but I'd definitely give the edge in CoC to caster builds, including Faith/Pyro/Melee hybrid builds.
Well hybrids are far more versatile for sure but its going to be harder if you're doing DEX.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of like the Sanctum City with the platform gimmick once you get beyond the gank squad camped just past the bonfire (and that hill full of archers is a chore too). Very Zelda-esque.

I did like using arrows to lower and raise platforms. Definitely reminded me of Zelda, too.

Morfeo

Killed the boss in Black Gulch, once again a guy that looked way harder than he actually was, and who was easily avoided by some well-placed dodges. I guess the biggest challenge was to not dodge into the fire, but i managed it on my fourth try. Another win for the two-handing/dodge tactic then. So I guess there is only into the forest with the petrified woman left to pursue!

Edit: But what was really hard was those two giants down below, at least I got a new key for my trouble, and access to another (useless?) npc. Also got the Great Magic Sword-spell, which was a favorite of mine in Dark Souls, so guess its time to take my dex-turned-str build into some attunement and intelligence to be able to cast it!

When i use my bow naturally it takes away from my stamina bar, but it's actually quite a lot. How can i reduce that? Which attributes am i looking at for that?

Top Bottom