• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Entered the Shadow Woods and then went on to the Shrine of Winter which was a dead end for me at this point. Anyways, was those dlc-shrines there originally? Pretty teasing for those of us who do not own the dlc :( Also, will I get back to the entrance building to Shadow Woods (where the girl was petrified). Seemed like there were some stuff on the second floor which I couldnt get to at this point.

END for more stamina and some VIT for higher equipload therefore faster stamina regen.

Ah ok, so you can't exactly reduce the amount of stamina that is 'cut' each time i fire an arrow?

Oh and as for how fast my sword attacks are, ADP improves that, right?

Oooh and i am planning on using a bonfire ascetic for some souls farming. My only question is, does this only increase the difficulty for that area or the whole game from that point on?

Entered the Shadow Woods and then went on to the Shrine of Winter which was a dead end for me at this point. Anyways, was those dlc-shrines there originally? Pretty teasing for those of us who do not own the dlc :( Also, will I get back to the entrance building to Shadow Woods (where the girl was petrified). Seemed like there were some stuff on the second floor which I couldnt get to at this point.

You don't have SotfS?

Mistel

Banned
Ah ok, so you can't exactly reduce the amount of stamina that is 'cut' each time i fire an arrow?

Oh and as for how fast my sword attacks are, ADP improves that, right?

Oooh and i am planning on using a bonfire ascetic for some souls farming. My only question is, does this only increase the difficulty for that area or the whole game from that point on?

You don't have SotfS?
No to the first two things and ascetics only raise the difficulty in that are but you could join champions again for farming. Morfeo has the vanilla version.
There's nothing on the second floor, and only the shrine in the shrine of winter was there in vanilla I believe.

Morfeo

You don't have SotfS?

Im actually playing the vanilla Dark Souls 2 on the PS3 since I dont have a PS4, and dont intend to get one for a long time. Will probably replay the game in SotfS when I eventually get that
or a PC
though.

No to the first two things and ascetics only raise the difficulty in that are but you could join champions again for farming. Morfeo has the vanilla version.

There's nothing on the second floor, and only the shrine in the shrine of winter was there in vanilla I believe.

Ok, thanks! Guess Im the only one still playing the vanilla version at this point :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I was really enjoying the Iron King DLC until this underground cave area after the Fume Knight. What the fuck is up with this place? They make you wade through a bunch unfair and frustrating encounters each time you want to attempt the magic Smelter Demon?

Even getting through the so-called shortcut seems entirely luck based. If get hit once (shield or not) you don't make it in time before the gates close.

edit: got him by running through the enemies with summoned NPCs... None of that felt fair or fun. Just a frustrating area.

RiggyRob

Episode 30, myself vs. Lud & Zallen: https://youtu.be/46yWOyrgndc

While I do think this sort of cheapens the Aava fight, I'm ok with it because the idea of the Ivory King having a horde of ice tigers as pets is pretty epic.

Their souls mention there being seven of them, so I wonder what happened to the rest?

Man, I was really enjoying the Iron King DLC until this underground cave area after the Fume Knight. What the fuck is up with this place? They make you wade through a bunch unfair and frustrating encounters each time you want to attempt the magic Smelter Demon?

Even getting through the so-called shortcut seems entirely luck based. If get hit once (shield or not) you don't make it in time before the gates close.

edit: got him by running through the enemies with summoned NPCs... None of that felt fair or fun. Just a frustrating area.

Welcome to the challenge areas of the DLC, where doing it on your own is just not worth it!

Oh damn, that;s too bad. Because for my liking my moves with swords and other weapons like the claws (i completely respecced myself for these weapons) are a bit slow. Especially compared to those annoying headless guys in Earthen Peak, their attacks are fast as hell. But i guess that's not going to be it.

As for my usage of the bonfire ascetic, it would be to respawn some boss fights again, because that should bring me some good souls for sure. Plus i haven't yet found a very ideal farming spot.

Morfeo

Oh damn, that;s too bad. Because for my liking my moves with swords and other weapons like the claws (i completely respecced myself for these weapons) are a bit slow. Especially compared to those annoying headless guys in Earthen Peak, their attacks are fast as hell. But i guess that's not going to be it.

As for my usage of the bonfire ascetic, it would be to respawn some boss fights again, because that should bring me some good souls for sure. Plus i haven't yet found a very ideal farming spot.

Iron Keep is amazing for farming. Easy enemies, that quickly drop a ton of souls. Also, you can use a lever to sink three enemies into the lave for about 2500 souls without even a fight. I was going to progress here - but always had so much souls that I just had to go back and spend them - and continued doing that untill there were no more enemies in the area lol.

Mistel

Banned
They're some of the faster weapons but claws are the worse of their class so you might want to use manikin claws they're faster and generally better.

Iron Keep is amazing for farming. Easy enemies, that quickly drop a ton of souls. Also, you can use a lever to sink three enemies into the lave for about 2500 souls without even a fight. I was going to progress here - but always had so much souls that I just had to go back and spend them - and continued doing that untill there were no more enemies in the area lol.

Yeah i think I'm going to stick around in Iron Keep for a while. :)

They're some of the faster weapons but claws are the worse of their class so you might want to use manikin claws they're faster and generally better.

Ah shit, I should have asked it here. But someone on Reddit gave me the advice to get the claws and infuse them with poison. But it's never too late to change that. It seems i can find these claws close to the Covetous Demon according to the wiki, but if that's the case for Scholar I'm not sure.

Otherwise I am going to have to keep killing those baddies that wear em.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Started Crown of the Sunken King earlier today and got really frustrated with how hard the first area is. Archers, ambushes with high health enemies, corrosive bugs. What a freaking pain. Gave up on it for a few hours then came back and made it through to the second bonfire and into the temple.

I'm on the fence about the difficulty level of this DLC so far. I appreciate a bit of challenge but this just seems excessive.

Neoweee

Started Crown of the Sunken King earlier today and got really frustrated with how hard the first area is. Archers, ambushes with high health enemies, corrosive bugs. What a freaking pain. Gave up on it for a few hours then came back and made it through to the second bonfire and into the temple.

I'm on the fence about the difficulty level of this DLC so far. I appreciate a bit of challenge but this just seems excessive.

The starting area is really hard, but there are a lot of shortcuts and tricks, etc. Are you doing it roughly end-game, or earlier?

Just go from bonfire to bonfire, if you need a guide dont be ashamed. this shit is stupidly annoying and not all that enjoyable really.

Jake2by4

Think I ran into a bug ps4 sotfs. Drangleic castle door won't open even next to the first bonfire even when the statues are both up and lit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The starting area is really hard, but there are a lot of shortcuts and tricks, etc. Are you doing it roughly end-game, or earlier?

End of game. I've done everything except the final area.
I've collected all the Giant Souls, although I haven't gotten the Dragon Soul because I can't be bothered to fight my way back through Brightstone Cove Tseldora.
I'm level 148 I think.

Just go from bonfire to bonfire, if you need a guide dont be ashamed. this shit is stupidly annoying and not all that enjoyable really.

Yeah I watched a YouTube video to help me through the first stretch, but I'm going to try to do the rest of the DLC blind. We'll see how long I last though.

I saw a dude using the Tseldora outfit and had upgraded it to like +8 or so. Why? Does it actually increase the effect of souls increasing as well?

RiggyRob

End of game. I've done everything except the final area.
I've collected all the Giant Souls, although I haven't gotten the Dragon Soul because I can't be bothered to fight my way back through Brightstone Cove Tseldora.
I'm level 148 I think.

Yeah I watched a YouTube video to help me through the first stretch, but I'm going to try to do the rest of the DLC blind. We'll see how long I last though.

Fight through Tseldora again? Psssst, use your torch! Makes things faaaaaar easier.

So, can you farm the Souls of a Giant from the giants in Black Gulch if you use a Bonfire Ascetic?

Used a bunch of the Giant Souls thinking they were just nice free souls to use : /

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The bonus areas in the DLCs are pretty much designed with coop in mind. They are fun enough to coop, but are kind of frustrating to solo.

Iron Passage is my least favourite area of the whole game. I really hate it, and the boss being an outright reskin pissed me off.

Mistel

Banned
So, can you farm the Souls of a Giant from the giants in Black Gulch if you use a Bonfire Ascetic? Used a bunch of the Giant Souls thinking they were just nice free souls to use : /
You cant do that so your out of luck.
I saw a dude using the Tseldora outfit and had upgraded it to like +8 or so. Why? Does it actually increase the effect of souls increasing as well?
It doesn't raise the souls bonus at all.
Ah shit, I should have asked it here. But someone on Reddit gave me the advice to get the claws and infuse them with poison. But it's never too late to change that. It seems i can find these claws close to the Covetous Demon according to the wiki, but if that's the case for Scholar I'm not sure.

Otherwise I am going to have to keep killing those baddies that wear em.
Without actually knowing what he/she wrote I can't really say what they were going for unless they were going for the whole poison raises attack and bleed as well angle.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. I never bothered with the side stuff in Sunken King after i got the crown because meh.

Shit. I thought the dragon Sinh was the end of that DLC! I guess I didn't quite finish it, then. Gonna have to go back...

The bonus areas in the DLCs are pretty much designed with coop in mind. They are fun enough to coop, but are kind of frustrating to solo.

Iron Passage is my least favourite area of the whole game. I really hate it, and the boss being an outright reskin pissed me off.

Yeah, reskinned Smelter Demon was pretty lame. For whatever reason, that's always been one of the hardest boss fights for me. I've never beat him completely solo.

Morfeo

Been going around alot in that fog-part of the forest with the ghost, and think I have all items now. Really irritating area, especially the part about those ghosts seemingly respawning forever, and jumping around all over to get the backstab. One of the most annoying areas in the game so far for sure.

Morfeo

So, whats up with the huge crab-thing in Shaded Forest? And is there any point in holding on to the fragrant yores, or should I just unpetrify all the creatures in Shaded Forest?

Edit: Ops, double post.

Mistel

Banned
So, whats up with the huge crab-thing in Shaded Forest? And is there any point in holding on to the fragrant yores, or should I just unpetrify all the creatures in Shaded Forest?

Edit: Ops, double post.
Tark? He's an NP that can aid you if you've got the ring of whispers. There's only one important on but you need one for later on.

Morfeo

Tark? He's an NP that can aid you if you've got the ring of whispers. There's only one important on but you need one for later on.

Ok, so not important for me since I dont use summons for the boss fights. The scorpion boss was killed one the second try by the way. Tried melee first, but got destroyed, and then tried ranged, which took time, but worked fine so that was fun. Anyways, I have leveled intelligence up to 10 to use a staff, and now want to use my 8 simpletons spice for Great Magic Weapon, but man was that unnecessary hard :( Anyways, in Doors of Pharros now, how much more of the game is left? Should be closing in on the end soon, or what?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so not important for me since I dont use summons for the boss fights. The scorpion boss was killed one the second try by the way. Tried melee first, but got destroyed, and then tried ranged, which took time, but worked fine so that was fun. Anyways, I have leveled intelligence up to 10 to use a staff, and now want to use my 8 simpletons spice for Great Magic Weapon, but man was that unnecessary hard :( Anyways, in Doors of Pharros now, how much more of the game is left? Should be closing in on the end soon, or what?

You've still got a very long way to go, even if you don't do the DLC. Probably around 60% through the game by that point, maybe a bit more.

Morfeo

You've still got a very long way to go, even if you don't do the DLC. Probably around 60% through the game by that point, maybe a bit more.

Nice to know! Anyways, will I ever get unlimited Pharros Stones, or should I actually consult a guide to know which contraptions to activate?

Btw, I feel like this game is quite a step down from both Dark Souls 1 and especially Demons. I simply think the levels are a bit to uninspired and more often than not, easy, compared to the earlier games, and for the bosses too, only a few of them really stand out on the level of Demons and Dark. The lore/world-building aspect also feels much weaker this time around. Where is the interesting pantheon where you could only speculate on the relationship between the characters from Dark Souls? Still an amazing game for sure, and probably my third favorite on the PS360 (after Demons and DS1), but just not as good - so far!

deim0s

I have a PS3 version and played it before, but let's say my experience with DS2 is quite... forgettable. I can't remember much of what I did or happened in the game, so I'm willing to fix that.

Read that PS4 re-release has a lot of changes plus the DLC, so is it really different now - basically is it way better or worse?

Mistel

Banned
Nice to know! Anyways, will I ever get unlimited Pharros Stones, or should I actually consult a guide to know which contraptions to activate?
Well you can but it is as part of a covenant if you're asking because of Pharros itself most of them are for traps for PvP.

Why not use sunlight blade instead?
I have a PS3 version and played it before, but let's say my experience with DS2 is quite... forgettable. I can't remember much of what I did or happened in the game, so I'm willing to fix that.

Read that PS4 re-release has a lot of changes plus the DLC, so is it really different now - basically is it way better or worse?
If you've never played any of the DLC most of it is far better than the base game especially the Old Iron King and the Old Ivory King, Sunken is a bit hit and miss really.

Shit. I thought the dragon Sinh was the end of that DLC! I guess I didn't quite finish it, then. Gonna have to go back...

Yeah, reskinned Smelter Demon was pretty lame. For whatever reason, that's always been one of the hardest boss fights for me. I've never beat him completely solo.

Pretty sure Smelter 2.0 got spoiled for me, I didn't get the season pass until a little after and the forum for Vanilla DaS 2 talked about it, o well. As a boss fight he's easy to dodge, I just hate how melee players take constant damage for being close to him.

All three DLCs have two main bosses and one optional boss just so you know.

Episode 30, myself vs. Lud & Zallen: https://youtu.be/46yWOyrgndc

While I do think this sort of cheapens the Aava fight, I'm ok with it because the idea of the Ivory King having a horde of ice tigers as pets is pretty epic.

Their souls mention there being seven of them, so I wonder what happened to the rest?

Welcome to the challenge areas of the DLC, where doing it on your own is just not worth it!

I hate Lud and Zallen, the tiger is an amazing fight, having two of em on you is a pain. The path to them is also just horrid.

What about making the enemies go extinct and just running through the shortcut all jolly :p?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really glad I bought this in the sale. I loved DS3 and BB but quit on DS1 (crap port, extremely slow and I just didn't find it fun) so it was a bit of a gamble but I'm enjoying it so far, about 11 hours in and no real complaints, it's far more enjoyable than DS1 for me (please no death threats). The main reasons I prefer it are it's a solid port that runs and looks great, it has proper fast travel and it's a bit quicker, and so far I haven't run into anything I'd consider anti fun which I felt was a problem in DS1. I know most people consider DS1 the holy grail but for me it goes DS3 > BB > DS2 > DS1.

shepard-is-very-angry-o.gif

ancient dragon got me like

I'm really glad I bought this in the sale. I loved DS3 and BB but quit on DS1 (crap port, extremely slow and I just didn't find it fun) so it was a bit of a gamble but I'm enjoying it so far, about 11 hours in and no real complaints, it's far more enjoyable than DS1 for me (please no death threats). The main reasons I prefer it are it's a solid port that runs and looks great, it has proper fast travel and it's a bit quicker, and so far I haven't run into anything I'd consider anti fun which I felt was a problem in DS1. I know most people consider DS1 the holy grail but for me it goes DS3 > BB > DS2 > DS1.

Glad you like it! DS2 has a lot going for it, despite the hate it seems to get. I've beat the game with many builds, and you're in for a treat when you get to the DLC areas. Not to mention the changes it gets going into NG+ forward.

Theres a lot to love about DS2.

Novocaine

Glad you like it! DS2 has a lot going for it, despite the hate it seems to get. I've beat the game with many builds, and you're in for a treat when you get to the DLC areas. Not to mention the changes it gets going into NG+ forward.

Theres a lot to love about DS2.

I think one of the few things that bummed me out about 3 was that they didn't do the additions to NG+ like 2 does. I'm going to go through at least NG++ anyway but it would have been nice to mix it up a bit.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What changes in NG? I never usually bother doing more than one run of these games as they're stressful and long :D

I think one of the few things that bummed me out about 3 was that they didn't do the additions to NG+ like 2 does. I'm going to go through at least NG++ anyway but it would have been nice to mix it up a bit.

I also heard 3 doesn't have powerstancing, what's up with that? Why remove some of the pretty much objectively good things 2 added?

Zocano

THIS GAME FEELS SO WEIRD AFTER EXHAUSTING 3.

It's okay, Dark Souls 1 is trash anyway.

Not really, but it was the only one of the 5 that I actually took a break in because I wasn't feeling it

RiggyRob

I hate Lud and Zallen, the tiger is an amazing fight, having two of em on you is a pain. The path to them is also just horrid.

What about making the enemies go extinct and just running through the shortcut all jolly :p?

Oh I couldn't be fucking arsed doing that, I'd just find the direction I want to go and keep running.

At least there's nothing amazing as a reward for exploring Frigid Outskirts, I'm still annoyed that the Scorpioness Najka arena has an item that's impossible to get if you kill her before it gets knocked down.

Each time i fire this game up i see this awesome looking character and it makes me wonder, do we get this armor in the game?

https://images-eds-ssl.xboxlive.com...Xpmd.gWCHD.J9uGngZP91fs_J.prBWYNk-&format=jpg

Oh and as for poise, the 'rule' is that you should stay under 60% for the normal roll, right? Because i found this really cool looking Alonne Captain armor and currently i'm also weilding the Smelter sword and Tower shield i believe. This easily makes it far above 60%, but putting some souls into VIT should take care of that right?

RiggyRob

Each time i fire this game up i see this awesome looking character and it makes me wonder, do we get this armor in the game?

https://images-eds-ssl.xboxlive.com...Xpmd.gWCHD.J9uGngZP91fs_J.prBWYNk-&format=jpg

Oh and as for poise, the 'rule' is that you should stay under 60% for the normal roll, right? Because i found this really cool looking Alonne Captain armor and currently i'm also weilding the Smelter sword and Tower shield i believe. This easily makes it far above 60%, but putting some souls into VIT should take care of that right?

Looks like a stylised version of the Forlorn set to me - it's under 70% for the normal roll, but adding Vit will help.

Mistel

Banned
Poise and equip load are different things but if you're not two handing the smelter sword you're missing a lot of its moveset.

Poise and equip load are different things but if you're not two handing the smelter sword you're missing a lot of its moveset.

Ah yes, my bad. I meant Equip Load. Right now on the lower right of thr player status screen it says

63.1 / 70.0

90.2%

So if i up that VIT quite a bit (currently at 21) this should become a lot better right?

I'll probably use the Smelter sword only two handed then and when i need a shield, I'll go for a different sword.

It's entirely possible i'll go for a different armor eventually. I keep switching because there are so many nice looking ones. I just bought the Forlorn armor, really nice indeed. The equipment load is a lot better now as well. I might settle for this.

I was initially going for much lighter swords and maybe some claws, but damn the ultra greatswords are just too awesome. I think I'll go with them and only when needed I'll get the lighter swords. I'm thinking of upgrading the Smelter sword too.

Mistel

Banned
Ah yes, my bad. I meant Equip Load. Right now on the lower right of thr player status screen it says

63.1 / 70.0

90.2%

So if i up that VIT quite a bit (currently at 21) this should become a lot better right?
It will there's also the dragon crest and royal soldiers rings which will raise you equip load without stat investment.

It will there's also the dragon crest and royal soldiers rings which will raise you equip load without stat investment.

Ah yes, i think i even have that ring, nice! I am looking at my stats now and am considering respeccing. Dexterity for example is at 40,but DEX isn't all that crucial to my build now i think?

Mistel

Banned
Ah yes, i think i even have that ring, nice! I am looking at my stats now and am considering respeccing. Dexterity for example is at 40,but DEX isn't all that crucial to my build now i think?
Not really at all unless you're using the DEX ultra but that's considerably weaker than the STR scaling ones.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So the trash before
Smelter Demon
makes me want to just quit the game, you can't just run past it and enter the mist in DS2 apparently and they're never ending.

So the trash before
Smelter Demon
makes me want to just quit the game, you can't just run past it and enter the mist in DS2 apparently and they're never ending.

I ran past it every time?

You either don't have enough endurance, or you need to git gud. If the last dude by the gate is owning you, kill him only then go in. You can wait till he attacks, dodge it then go in without getting hit. But yea being hit as you go through fog is just one of the many things that they weren't thinking on in this game. Same with being able to get hit as you're backstabbing.

Top Bottom