• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

So the trash before
Smelter Demon
makes me want to just quit the game, you can't just run past it and enter the mist in DS2 apparently and they're never ending.

I just put on the ring that gives you extra souls and farmed them until they were gone. I had the exact same problem.

I click enter the mist and the mobs just cancel the animation.

Maybe they changed it in SotFS then. I remember hating that area too and just sprinting past everything. The only guy that ever canceled me going in is the one right in front of the gate, and you can just sprint -> kill him -> fog gate -> own the easy ass boss

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Killed him, the trash has literally sucked the fun out of the game for me. They always do this, they put in an area that isn't necessarily hard but leaves you wanting to log out.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
And while I'm raging, can the fucking game use my Estus when I press square? So many times it just doesn't do it for some reason, I never had this happen in DS3 or BB.

Neoweee

Killed him, the trash has literally sucked the fun out of the game for me. They always do this, they put in an area that isn't necessarily hard but leaves you wanting to log out.

Have you done all of the other main bosses yet? That zone is definitely the hardest of the four great souls, IMO. Unless you're way late in the game, there's always going to be other bosses and zones for you to try. No need to get frustrated.

Smelter is optional, for what it is worth.

So the trash before
Smelter Demon
makes me want to just quit the game, you can't just run past it and enter the mist in DS2 apparently and they're never ending.

You mean the enemies in that area? I did kill them all before entering the mist, but you can't enter it while they are there? Not sure what you mean.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Well you can but it is as part of a covenant if you're asking because of Pharros itself most of them are for traps for PvP.

Why not use sunlight blade instead?

Thanks for the tip, just went through Pharros without wasting more stones then. About the Sunlight Blade, right now im using a magic mace+10, so i dont think i can use sunlight blade with that? Also, the required faith is pretty high, which is why i went with great magic sword instead.

About the discussion on Iron Keep/Smelter Demon above, that area is amazing for grinding, so I was just listening to podcasts, killing them all untill they were gone, and leveling up like crazy. But i thought the boss itself was pretty hard for some reason, definitely among the top three hardest Ive tackled so far (along with the Chariot and the Belfry Gargoyles).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Raise your agility.

You mean the enemies in that area? I did kill them all before entering the mist, but you can't enter it while they are there? Not sure what you mean.

Agility is at 104, aiming for 105.

Yeah, just endless waves of fucking knights. I killed him though, and the boss after and I've just stopped in the
Shaded Woods
. I also built the
ladder in base and I'll do that area tomorrow
. Overall my least favourite session thus far and I have a headache so I'm getting off for the day!

Tarkus

Agility is at 104, aiming for 105.

Yeah, just endless waves of fucking knights. I killed him though, and the boss after and I've just stopped in the
Shaded Woods
. I also built the
ladder in base and I'll do that area tomorrow
. Overall my least favourite session thus far and I have a headache so I'm getting off for the day!
105 is really PvP level stats. The game is great with just 99.

Mistel

Banned
You can't enter a fog gate whilst being attacked that's it.
Thanks for the tip, just went through Pharros without wasting more stones then. About the Sunlight Blade, right now im using a magic mace+10, so i dont think i can use sunlight blade with that? Also, the required faith is pretty high, which is why i went with great magic sword instead.
You can't but if you've using a lightning infused mace with sunlight blade is stronger generally as more things are weaker to lightning more overall.
105 is really PvP level stats. The game is great with just 99.
100+ minumum is what you want 99 is lacking really 120 is PVP.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What level do people finish the main game and then DLC at? Roughly.

Holy crap, I'm gonna assume that i just entered a area that wasn't meant for me yet, Belfry Sol. Because while these little baddies were no problem, there were these other enemies, looked like invaders but as if they were metallic. Well, i used my Smelter sword on them about two or three times and i already saw the warning about the sword being at risk and then it broke.

Oh grear, a few attacks with RT with it and it's already at risk again.

Mistel

Banned
Holy crap, I'm gonna assume that i just entered a area that wasn't meant for me yet, Belfry Sol. Because while these little baddies were no problem, there were these other enemies, looked like invaders but as if they were metallic. Well, i used my Smelter sword on them about two or three times and i already saw the warning about the sword being at risk and then it broke.
They're bell guardians as it's their PvP area like Belfry Luna it's optional but decent rewards.
What level do people finish the main game and then DLC at? Roughly.
It varies rather dramatically but 100 upwards really I've know some to crest 250 there's not really anyway to see anymore.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
OK thanks. I think my plan of action tomorrow is to do the fountain area and find the boss weapon vendor, apparently I missed him, I've been saving a couple of souls that I want to convert but I've been swallowing most of them. I've been doing all the bosses solo and blind but I've had to use the wiki a couple of times, some things I just would have never known and I've gotten lost twice. I'm definitely missing having all the vendors in one spot, that's a beautiful change in DS3, and not being able to sell is just odd. I'm planning to finish DS2 + DLC then go back to DS3 for a second run if I have enough time before Uncharted 4 hits, DS3 really deserves more than one run.

They're bell guardians as it's their PvP area like Belfry Luna it's optional but decent rewards.

It varies rather dramatically but 100 upwards really I've know some to crest 250 there's not really anyway to see anymore.

Ah i see. Yeah i won't be going much there, i want to finish the story and then start with DS3.

I killed the
Old iron King
in Iron Keep and from there i went into a smaller door and then some kind of fountain. Bume tower if i remember correctly. This is DLC right?

As for the Smelter sword. It's exactly the RT attack that really ruins the sword damn quickly. So i think I'm just going to use it now and then, maybe for a boss sometime. Luckily there are plenty of great swords but the previous boss was ended with my trusty Heide Knight Sword with lightning on it.

I think I'll be sticking with that one till the end.

Mistel

Banned
Ah i see. Yeah i won't be going much there, i want to finish the story and then start with DS3.

I killed the
Old iron King
in Iron Keep and from there i went into a smaller door and then some kind of fountain. Bume tower if i remember correctly. This is DLC right?

As for the Smelter sword. It's exactly the RT attack that really ruins the sword damn quickly. So i think I'm just going to use it now and then, maybe for a boss sometime. Luckily there are plenty of great swords but the previous boss was ended with my trusty Heide Knight Sword with lightning on it.

I think I'll be sticking with that one till the end.
You can use the bracing knuckle ring to increase its durability by slowing degradation, that's not suprising Heide Knight Swords have been endgame viable since the get go.

Morfeo

You can't but if you've using a lightning infused mace with sunlight blade is stronger generally as more things are weaker to lightning more overall..

Nice to know, just started upgraded a Heides sword so that i have a decent lightning-based weapon.

Anyways, just killed two easy bosses, the Royal Rat Authority and the two magicians in the church above, Prowling Magus and Congregation. While I died three or four times on the Royal Rat before defeating him (actually hitting those legs was harder than it seemed at first), the Prowling Magus and Congregation was slow, easy to dodge, and had almost no health. Probably the weakest boss Ive seen in the game so far.

Nice to know, just started upgraded a Heides sword so that i have a decent lightning-based weapon.

Anyways, just killed two easy bosses, the Royal Rat Authority and the two magicians in the church above, Prowling Magus and Congregation. While I died three or four times on the Royal Rat before defeating him (actually hitting those legs was harder than it seemed at first), the Prowling Magus and Congregation was slow, easy to dodge, and had almost no health. Probably the weakest boss Ive seen in the game so far.

More rats to come? And here i was thinking that one in the pit would be the only one, haha.

You can use the bracing knuckle ring to increase its durability by slowing degradation, that's not suprising Heide Knight Swords have been endgame viable since the get go.

Oh nice, that's good to know. I'll make sure to equip that tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm currently using a Battle Axe +6, are there any weapons I should keep my eyes open for? I prefer to use it as a 2h. I haven't tried an actual 2h as they seem extremely slow.

Mistel

Banned
So I'm currently using a Battle Axe +6, are there any weapons I should keep my eyes open for? I prefer to use it as a 2h. I haven't tried an actual 2h as they seem extremely slow.
Drangelic greatsword, Mace, Claymore, Estoc, Bandit Axe. I doubt you'd like any of the ultra or great weapons?
This one looked more like a big, ugly dog though.
It's literally a dog rat.

Morfeo

Drangelic greatsword, Mace, Claymore, Estoc, Bandit Axe. I doubt you'd like any of the ultra or great weapons?

It's literally a dog rat.

How is the Claymore in DS2? I used it for basically the whole of DS1, and have finally found a merchant selling it in DS2 as well.

Chitown B

looking for a summon sign at The Pursuer on X1 SOTFS. If anyone wants to join? SLVL29

Soul Memory level - 64765

Tier 6.

edit: got him, thanks!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Do you do less damage to bosses if you're under level? I'm wiping on
The Rotten
and I'm only hitting him for 50, I looked at a video to see if I was missing something but they're hitting him for 200, if I was hitting him for that much he'd be long dead.

Edit: NVM, my fucking axe is broken, never had that before.

Edit: Down

Arkanius

Guys like I said in the DS3 OT, I feel a giant void right now and I'm having the giant urge to go back to DS2 (My favorite)

I only played the vanilla game on PC, no DLC's

Should I pay the upgrade the price? Is it worth it ?

I always play as a Knight build, wanting to mix it this time around. Should I go sword + pyromancy? Or full faith?

Tarkus

Guys like I said in the DS3 OT, I feel a giant void right now and I'm having the giant urge to go back to DS2 (My favorite)

I always play as a Knight build, wanting to mix it this time around. Should I go sword + pyromancy? Or full faith?
Me too. The PvP is this game is fantastic. I want to come back, but I just can't put DS3 down.

wiibomb

so... pretty similar to how it happened to me in my playthrough in the main game, I'm now stuck at another boss..

and it is the blue smelter demon... I truly hate these 2 fuckers, they have become easily my most hated bosses, so unfair and overpowered.

the worst part of this is that I have been through hell going to even the boss gate without getting nuked by everyone on the way.

can anyone help me with some coop with this part? I got struck there since saturday and I give no fucks about that part, but I need to continue.

Neoweee

so... pretty similar to how it happened to me in my playthrough in the main game, I'm now stuck at another boss..

and it is the blue smelter demon... I truly hate these 2 fuckers, they have become easily my most hated bosses, so unfair and overpowered.

the worst part of this is that I have been through hell going to even the boss gate without getting nuked by everyone on the way.

can anyone help me with some coop with this part? I got struck there since saturday and I give no fucks about that part, but I need to continue.

It is a purely optional "challenge" boss. No reason to get stuck against it unless it is literally your 40th boss and you're trying to finish everything.

Scholar is definitely better. The Upgrade price is basically the Season Pass price, but it goes on sale as well, and it may be cheaper to grab Scholar without it being the upgrade (depending on sales).

IMO, it is definitely better. There's like 100-200 changes, and like 3 or 4 of them are worse and the rest are sidegrades or improvements.

wiibomb

It is a purely optional "challenge" boss. No reason to get stuck against it unless it is literally your 40th boss and you're trying to finish everything.

you are telling me that I've been stuck in a part that wasn't even mandatory?

that I wasted my time in this stupid area???

ha.. ha ha.. hahahahaa

excuse me while I'm going hollow

GulAtiCa

I was like lv 150 when I beat the game earlier this year when I replayed all (As a Pyro) of the game (including everything in NG). Lv 200 by time I finished NG++ to get platinum. Though, didn't really need to be lv 200. 175 would have been fine. I just did it to get like 94 Attunement. Having 8 total Forbidden Suns (2 stacked together), was awesome for invasions, lol.

Neoweee

you are telling me that I've been stuck in a part that wasn't even mandatory?

that I wasted my time in this stupid area???

ha.. ha ha.. hahahahaa

excuse me while I'm going hollow

Each DLC has a Challenge boss that is a reused asset. It's there only to be something really really hard for players to topple, or for it to be an actually decent fight when summoning help.

I've been exploring Brume Tower but one thing is clear, the Smelter Sword is useless here. Way too slow for these axe wielding baddies that come in packs. Back to the Heide Knight Sword it is. I've been trying to lure these guys out one by one but nope, all three come at me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Why does my Butcher's Knife keep breaking? I've not had it long and it has broken twice. My Battle Axe has only broken once the entire playthrough.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It is a low durability weapon and depends on the attacks you do.

Damn that really sucks, so there's nothing I can do about it? I'm just using R1 in 2H mode. I'm really glad they scrapped this mechanic in DS3. I'll just use the Battle Axe then...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Seems I have only the DLC and final area to go, my friend is telling me to do the DLC first so I will. So far I'm enjoying the game so much more than DS1, although I have gotten lost a few times and had to consult the wiki, I feel like the game isn't great at guiding you at all, you don't want it to be extremely linear but at the same time I don't want to be left with my pants down wondering where the fuck I'm supposed to go, and I have no idea how people found the DLC keys on their own, I just found the first one and you have to
fall off a random ledge that's pitch black
, I wouldn't have found that in a million years without a guide.

I feel the bosses are far too easy though, maybe it's just because I'm used to the series now and I'm playing this after finishing DS3 so I'm fresh but I've killed every boss sub 5 tries, most of which were one shots. In DS3 I wiped for 2 hours on both
Dancer
and
Abyss Watchers
, with 5 - 10 wipes on a couple of others but I haven't had anything like that thus far in DS2. I hear the DLC is much harder though so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm so glad I got the Fire Longsword. It's been great in early game.

Wait till you kill yourself with it ;)

Mistel

Banned
I'm so glad I got the Fire Longsword. It's been great in early game.
It's not that great it's like the drake sword 2.0
Damn that really sucks, so there's nothing I can do about it? I'm just using R1 in 2H mode. I'm really glad they scrapped this mechanic in DS3. I'll just use the Battle Axe then...
Use a bracing knuckle ring to slow degradation and try to avoid hitting scenery and corpses its still there in DS3.

Morfeo

It's not that great it's like the drake sword 2.0

Use a bracing knuckle ring to slow degradation and try to avoid hitting scenery and corpses its still there in DS3.

Never understood the love for the drake sword, and didnt like the fire longsword either, so guess i agree with this.

I never like it when in games like these you get thrown into a room with nowhere to go really (yeah a lever opening a big ass door, but you won't make that in time) with plenty of baddies and also a damn strong one and.....good luck. With Souls games i always try my best to take these baddies one by one. Not going to happen here.

It's after the second bonfire in Brume Tower. I'll come back after i've finished a few other locations and then we'll see about this part. It's the first DLC and it's fun, but not amazing. I heard nothing but praise about the DLC.

RiggyRob

Episode 31, myself vs. Burnt Ivory King: https://youtu.be/Y07R4OCu6hY

Spoilering in case people don't want to see/read:
Descending from the throne room of Eleum Loyce and plunging down into the depths of The Old Chaos to kill the Charred Loyce Knights with your own retinue of Loyce Knights was cool already, but I was not expecting the Burnt Ivory King to step out of Hell to duel with you.

The backdrop was fantastic, and it felt like an epic battle with your own personal army against the Burnt Ivory King's dead soldiers. Eventually all of the Knights died and it was just a straight 1v1, no summons and no gimmicks. The music fit perfectly, and the fight was challenging without being frustrating.

This is, I feel, the best boss fight in the entire game DLC included.

Top Bottom