• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

NoWayOut

Wow, that is shocking. This is definitely going to annoy me. How can people honestly say it's a game design for your sword to break before the next bonfire? It's laughable considering how close bonfires are to each other in DS2 as well.

It's frankly indefensible for your favourite weapon to constantly break before you can finish off an area.

I played the vanilla version on PC and I don't remember being this bad. When I started I didn't even realize that durability was a factor until later in the game, but looking at that video things may be have got worse with the update.

Bl@de

How does it compare to the original PC version?

The same. It was always like that. Rest at every bonfire, fight clever (backstabs), get the durability ring and you're good for the game. But now that more people notice the bug (due to 60fps multiplattform), maybe FROM will fix it (more repair powder drops, even higher durability for weapons)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well, debate over how much they could/should have upgraded the visuals aside, I do think it looks pretty good. Flipped back and forth between vanilla DS2 on PC and DX11 in Majula and Forest of the Fallen Giants. Contrast is richer and there's some nice dark areas on the DX11 side. Seems to be more dynamic light sources and HDR or such when going from shadow into light.

The new enemy placement is interesting. I don't feel it's overly cheap, but I'm not rushing as if I know the areas. Going slowly it seems the enemy positions are designed to trigger new ambushes and discourage pulling a ton of enemies and just running blindly. Suckers will follow you now.

So far there are a few nice scenarios too, environmental tools set up to take out groups or new big enemies placed early.

Bear in mind, I always really liked DS2 and platinumed it on PS3. For me this is great to properly play through the DLC with refreshed enemies to make things interesting again.

Neoweee

Are Dex builds any good? I have always played Souls games with shields but I am looking for something a little different to keep this play-through fresh.

Dex builds are much more viable. The new roll mechanics help a ton. Lighter = longer rolls.

Anyone messed with magic much in the game yet? I've never rolled a magic character in souls games and think I might give it a go. People have said that magic has gotten nerfed or are they just overreacting?

duck_sauce

I love Dark Souls 2 and immidiatly bought the PS4 version, but man.....after playing Bloodborne it feels kind of slugish and slow. Am i the only one feeling that way?

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
How does it compare to the original PC version?

I just started up the original DS2 version as I haven't played it in a long time to do the same run and yeah, to be honest it seems to be pretty much the same rate of durability "decay".

The difference is the amount of new enemies with SOTFS. They didn't take that into account enough so now it's basically worse than how it was before.

Skii

I played the vanilla version on PC and I don't remember being this bad. When I started I didn't even realize that durability was a factor until later in the game, but looking at that video things may be have got worse with the update.

Yeah, it seems like they haven't accounted for the increase in enemies in certain areas which is so silly. It's like no one play-tested this before going gold.

I don't really understand why durability is a factor anymore. It doesn't really promote any tactical response from the players. If people like a weapon, just let them use it.

void666

Banned
Playing through heide's tower of flame. Amazing how they made it even more boring and unfair.

They added
heide knights all over the place. Enemies will follow you through the level if you try to run past them. But even if you do there's a dragon with a huge AoE fire breath waiting for you.

About the lost bastille:
they changed the initial bonfire. And once you've progressed through the level you can't go back to this bonfire. At least i couldn't. Great design here. Unless i'm wrong.

The more i play SOTFS the more i feel like going back to bloodborne.

Neoweee

Cool, thanks for the good news. I was finding the thought of going back to the same old shield build less appealing after Bloodborne.

There's a few ways to go. Light Dex with one weapon, switching between regular and powerstancing as needed, is a bit like the transforms in BB (and likely partial inspiration).

My best build was powerstancing a boss spear, and a lighter rapier when needed, each with different elements imbued. You usually need two weapons to account for the durability mechanics, but there are a ton of light & powerful options if you are Dex focused.

Skii

I love Dark Souls 2 and immidiatly bought the PS4 version, but man.....after playing Bloodborne it feels kind of slugish and slow. Am i the only one feeling that way?

It felt sluggish and slow going from Dark Souls/Demon's... It's going to take time to adjust I guess.

Foffy

Banned
Wow, that is shocking. This is definitely going to annoy me. How can people honestly say it's a game design for your sword to break before the next bonfire? It's laughable considering how close bonfires are to each other in DS2 as well.

It's frankly indefensible for your favourite weapon to constantly break before you can finish off an area.

B-but backup weapons!

Seriously, the spin to justify this is almost laughable now. This is going to be an issue for literally every player jumping in on this version, as only a year ago only a third of the playerbase could even experience this change. How this got to the final game literally floors me. Maybe they only looked at areas, figured on how to spruce them up, and kind of forget the underlying mechanics of their game systems. If they did any tests, I would have to imagine it had to be on a "debug" player with no major setbacks.

For those who have the game, try running the starting segment and see if the game running at 30fps changes the durability. I would find it hilarious if that got botched, too.

I want to know more about multiplayer changes if any.

There were definitely multiplayer changes made like NG+++++ allowed to coop in NG and shit. I wanna know more about this and if invasions have been affected at all. If people have been able to invade well, etc.

I don't even know how to join the red covenant in this game. I never did learn seeing as I prefer blue.

Vitor711

The dude above missed a bonfire. That's not the case at all.

Also, people are overlooking the fact that there are several durability rings in the came that basically negate that entire mechanic. I had one equipped when playing the original PC release and never had a weapon even come close to breaking.

They're not that hard to find/deep into the game either.

Slixshot

Banned
So is the PS4 version going to be borked at launch with this durability problem and should I hold off? Or do you think it's only on PC and I'll be good to go?

Spoo

The dude above missed a bonfire. That's not the case at all.

Also, people are overlooking the fact that there are several durability rings in the came that basically negate that entire mechanic. I had one equipped when playing the original PC release and never had a weapon even come close to breaking.

They're not that hard to find/deep into the game either.

I just went through the first few bonfires on my new playthrough and never experienced any issue with durability, even knowing it existed. As long as people play conservatively (most do, as new players), shouldn't run into this too much.

After watching my friends PS4 twitch stream for 40 minutes I need the game now-like right-right now. Lighting improvements and geometry improvements are off-the-chain.

LOL
Jurassic-Park-2.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man Norman's Wharf is dark as fuck now, I actually used my torch to light the sconces so I could see. There's a new shortcut there now too which is pretty cool.

EDIT: As for the durability, it's exactly the same as it was in vanilla PC. The only zone I had to use repair powder in was in Norman's Wharf. It's really not that big a deal.

Never played any Dark Souls.

Which one is better and why? (PC version)

Start at Dark Souls 1. It's arguably the best in the series and regardless many of the mechanics in 2 build off from 1 anyway. And while there isn't exactly a story shared between them, there are some elements that link the two that will be more satisfying if you have played the original first.

Seanspeed

Banned
B-but backup weapons!

Seriously, the spin to justify this is almost laughable now. This is going to be an issue for literally every player jumping in on this version, as only a year ago only a third of the playerbase could even experience this change. How this got to the final game literally floors me. Maybe they only looked at areas, figured on how to spruce them up, and kind of forget the underlying mechanics of their game systems. If they did any tests, I would have to imagine it had to be on a "debug" player with no major setbacks.

For those who have the game, try running the starting segment and see if the game running at 30fps changes the durability. I would find it hilarious if that got botched, too.
Using a backup weapon once in a while is unbelievably simple and hardly game breaking.

As for it being an issue for absolutely everybody, there was nobody complaining that anything was broken until later on when this 'bug' was discovered. Everybody was getting on just fine before that.

Ridley327

Playing through heide's tower of flame. Amazing how they made it even more boring and unfair.

They added
heide knights all over the place. Enemies will follow you through the level if you try to run past them. But even if you do there's a dragon with a huge AoE fire breath waiting for you.

About the lost bastille:
they changed the initial bonfire. And once you've progressed through the level you can't go back to this bonfire. At least i couldn't. Great design here. Unless i'm wrong.

The more i play SOTFS the more i feel like going back to bloodborne.

About the second item: I think it's always been like that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Using a backup weapon once in a while is unbelievably simple and hardly game breaking.

As for it being an issue for absolutely everybody, there was nobody complaining that anything was broken until later on when this 'bug' was discovered. Everybody was getting on just fine before that.

It is one of the major reason I quit playing the game, before I ever really saw anyone say it was a bug.

Neoweee

It is more than simple. Two weapons helps deal with different and mor types and weaknesses

Seanspeed

Banned
It is one of the major reason I quit playing the game, before I ever really saw anyone say it was a bug.
I didn't see your complaint in the OP. Either way, *most* people did not find anything too troublesome, much less game breaking beforehand. Which makes sense since it was stupidly easy to deal with.

Mogwai

I forgot how bad the character creator is in DS2. Wow, it's so difficult to make normal looking character. And those haircuts, jeez.

No it wouldn't. The game is already built. The lighting "was" already in place. All that would be needed would be the lighting engine placed back into the game and each areas lighting codes altered. Then to spruce it up , add some extra clutter, higher quality textures (they'll already have these anyway) and improve the parallax mapping to textures.

Look at Skyrim. Choose an ENB, choose a texture mod and choose a flora mod. It completely revamps the game and is probably the combined work of 8 people over 5 months - and is still a hell of a lot more work than DS2 would need.

This is lazy. This is a cash in.

Yeah, it's exactly like applying ENB.

Holy jesus.

Lanrutcon

It's a bug, not a 'bug'.

But please, keep spinning to defend it. You seem very good at it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yeah, it's exactly like applying ENB.

Holy jesus.

I am not sure if this is the same wickfut, but his ENB made DS2 looks DRAMATICALLY better. They seriously could have just applied one of his many ENB presets and the game would be vastly improved.

I didn't see your complaint in the OP. Either way, *most* people did not find anything too troublesome, much less game breaking beforehand. Which makes sense since it was stupidly easy to deal with.

In the OP? You mean the original DS2 OT last year? I didn't go there much because I didn't play the game an awful lot. It is like this..... Demon's and Dark Souls are in my top 10 games ever and the durability thing was bad enough for me to stop playing the game.

After a few hours played so far of just playing naturally like I normally would, durability is still not an issue for me. I keep two weapons on hand at all times. Between the two I never run out of durability. Those weapons sort of fill different "roles" regardless so I'd be using two different weapons anyway. I guess this is a big issue for some people but I just am not having it.

Welp, I've succumbed and bought it from PSN.

Please don't be shit compared to Bloodborne. I didn't complete the last DLC on the PS3 so I'm looking forward to this.

I forgot how bad the character creator is in any souls game ever. Wow, it's so difficult to make normal looking character. And those haircuts, jeez.
You are correct sir :)

My Bloodborne character looked like some kind of harpy librarian and that was the best I could do after a good 15 minutes of tweaking values.

Actually I did like the look of my first Dark Souls 2 character. But outside of that... yeesh. I'm glad that you just end up covering them up in armor all the time anyway.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The incessant crying about the durability "bug" is getting annoying. 4 of 6 versions of the game are now using the system we see here. Unlike DeS, DkS1, and BB, DkS2 allows you to run three load-outs.

Use 'em.

More impressions, please. The wait until next week hurts. And BB isn't a good consolation prize. Can't wait to plat this all over again.

butman

You are correct sir :)

My Bloodborne character looked like some kind of harpy librarian and that was the best I could do after a good 15 minutes of tweaking values.

Actually I did like the look of my first Dark Souls 2 character. But outside of that... yeesh. I'm glad that you just end up covering them up in armor all the time anyway.

I don't see the issue about char creation. At the end, the body will be all covered by the the beautiful armor set.

You guys should be grateful about the GREAT EQUIPMENT DESIGN that the soul games have instead of moaning about the character design. Who cares?!

Seanspeed

Banned
I am not sure if this is the same wickfut, but his ENB made DS2 looks DRAMATICALLY better. They seriously could have just applied one of his many ENB presets and the game would be vastly improved.

In the OP? You mean the original DS2 OT last year? I didn't go there much because I didn't play the game an awful lot. It is like this..... Demon's and Dark Souls are in my top 10 games ever and the durability thing was bad enough for me to stop playing the game.
Sorry to hear that. Most people got along fine, though. Again, it was stupidly easy to deal with.

Anyways, I wasn't ever a fan of any of the ENB's I saw. And I'm still unsure whether or not the new look is any better, too. Wish we could some good(lossless) comparisons.

So, regarding changes in enemy/item placement, AI, etc what is the verdict so far?
Overall is it an improvement or not so much?
I've seen some posts about this but the thread is really focused on the durability issue so far.

mdzapeer

Got the DX11 version since I didnt have any DLC.

Really enjoying the game the new enemies really freshen things. The lighting and the better HDR is doing wonders for the look of the game.

Top Bottom