• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Oh, also, enemies seem to be disappearing after quite a few clears, for some reason I thought they took that out for this version.
Dont know whether I like it that way, or wish I could just farm for my gear.

Did patches tweak the Company of Champions?

I believe the Company of Champions covenant now enables infinite enemy respawns, but it also makes them harder like before. Not sure if there's anything else tweaked there.

I'm still on the fence on the enemy placements, although it feels a bit refreshing to go through the game again with these variations. I wonder if NG+ has yet another change on enemy placements and whether they've changed placements in the DLC as well.

Can't believe they left the durability bug though, ffs. I've played vanilla DS2 on PC for around 200 hours, got used to the durability and it kinda becomes obsolete in NG+ onward since you can easily stack up on repair powders, but it still feels broken and wrong. I'm not really sure why some people mention the 3 weapon slots though. The Souls games rely heavily on your encumbrance and the ability to roll faster, so equipping 3 weapons simultaneously destroys your speed and evasiveness. Yeah, you can carry them in your inventory instead of the slots and that's a more valid strategy, but it requires better planning and isn't as quick, especially in tight situations.

Even with the durability bug, I usually only used a secondary weapon from the inventory from time to time, never carried more weapons in the slots (except for a bow at times) and still I think the 60 fps durability is bullshit. Swinging your halberd on a pile of corpses and loosing a third to a half of its durability is ridiculous.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got my PS4 copy. Kinda eager to get started, but still have loads left to do in Bloodborne. One soul-crushing experience at a time...

They're all blocked off by vanilla content that requires significant effort so you won't be doing them too early. You should have a good handle of the game before you're even close to accessing any of the DLC.

You'll definitely know whether you're at a DLC area, they're really separated from each other and the main game.

Ok, thanks!

nded

So is the weapon durability the same or worse than vanilla PC? Never really had a problem with it on PC to be honest. I used repair powder, like, twice.

Bl@de

I really love the dark areas now. Pitch-black. Complete darkness. The gutter will be like a new area now because you will definetly need a torch or something like that.

Nabs

So is the weapon durability the same or worse than vanilla PC? Never really had a problem with it on PC to be honest. I used repair powder, like, twice.

It's the same. They even made some weapons more durable with a recent patch.

Mogwai

Same here. I got around 80hrs with the PC version and I can count the repair powder used with one hand. Would have been worse without the ring, though.

Oh look I invaded someone in the first try with the cracked orb from the newbie area.

How nice to play a game again where invasions aren't locked behind more bullshit. Too bad it doesn't have infinite uses.

No way the dagger kills everything from Majula to the second bonfire and doesnt break.
Not wthout powder, or bonfiring in between.

When I played last night, I got to the second bonfire using only the broken sword starting weapon. It was low on durability by the end but it was the only thing I used.

The durability is exactly how it has always been on PC.

prudislav

and how about iframes during rolls , friend of mine sad they are halved now which supposedly makes Smeltr demon more annoying than ever

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to start my first Dark Souls 2 run tonight after I get home from work, and knowing nothing about the game I'm trying to figure out what class/build I should go with. I chose Pyromancer in Dark Souls 1, which was great because I mainly fought melee but having a ranged nuke to fall back on saved me quite a few times.

Is there a Pyromancer class in DS2? And is it a good melee/magic hybrid class?

and how about iframes during rolls , friend of mine sad they are halved now which supposedly makes Smeltr demon more annoying than ever

I hear that rumor occasionally but I am pretty certain it has never been confirmed. If it is actually a thing it would be a far bigger deal than durability.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't believe this.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh look I invaded someone in the first try with the cracked orb from the newbie area.

How nice to play a game again where invasions aren't locked behind more bullshit. Too bad it doesn't have infinite uses.

Bloodborne is amazing, but the multiplayer right now is indeed half-working. I definitely prefer the Souls series in that regard.

prudislav

I hear that rumor occasionally but I am pretty certain it has never been confirmed. If it is actually a thing it would be a far bigger deal than durability.

well i didnt saw anyone trying to prove it on PC, so hopefully someone now with 60fps being on consoles aswell.
Kinda curious ;-)

GulAtiCa

Bloodborne is amazing, but the multiplayer right now is indeed half-working. I definitely prefer the Souls series in that regard.

Same. I love almost everything of Bloodborne over Dark Souls 2 so far (400 hours in DkS2) except for PvP & invasions. Prefer the way Dark Souls 2 does it.

Just letting you know!! The toys r us in my town HAS THEM on the shelf right now. My buddy just picked me up a copy on the Xbox One. Once I get back from the gym I will post pictures with the receipt next to it. When he rung it up nothing unusual happened either. Has toys r us every broken the street date this early? I am so stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its Virginia by the way.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Vid of durability test Majula -> FotFG is inc soon. Sorry for the delay. Big security breach that I had to investigate and deal with so literally dropped everything and went afk.

So if I have a PS4 and PC, is PC version just the way to go? I honestly would prefer to play on PS4 and on my TV but if PC is the overall better experience, I will go that route.

Just letting you know!! The toys r us in my town HAS THEM on the shelf right now. My buddy just picked me up a copy on the Xbox One. Once I get back from the gym I will post pictures with the receipt next to it. When he rung it up nothing unusual happened either. Has toys r us every broken the street date this early? I am so stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its Virginia by the way.

interesting- will check my local on way home-

ironcreed

Banned
Same. I love almost everything of Bloodborne over Dark Souls 2 so far (400 hours in DkS2) except for PvP & invasions. Prefer the way Dark Souls 2 does it.

When I finally got an invasion to actually work it was pretty laggy as well. Not a good experience. I'll stick to single player on Bloodborne until it is patched up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They fucking what?

Ugh that's a terrible change. Who thought that was a good idea?

This has been debunked like 100 times already. ENEMIES DO NOT FOLLOW THROUGH FOG GATES.

The nob who posted that should edit it out as people keep bringing it up over and over and over.

I'm going to start my first Dark Souls 2 run tonight after I get home from work, and knowing nothing about the game I'm trying to figure out what class/build I should go with. I chose Pyromancer in Dark Souls 1, which was great because I mainly fought melee but having a ranged nuke to fall back on saved me quite a few times.

Is there a Pyromancer class in DS2? And is it a good melee/magic hybrid class?
There's no Pyromancer class, but fire damage scales with magic and faith now, so it's worth putting points into those stats (as well as upgrading the pyro flame just like in DS1).

If you're putting points into INT/FTH then that also opens up to be a jack of all trades Hexer, using hexes (dark magic) as well as magic and miracles. You're spoilt for choice really.

This has been debunked like 100 times already. ENEMIES DO NOT FOLLOW THROUGH FOG GATES.

The nob who posted that should edit it out as people keep bringing it up over and over and over.
Yeah they don't follow you through fog gates but they will remain aggressive and stay there until the boss is dead. If they can path their way through to boss area they will enter the boss area. I saw this on a stream.

So you're safe DURING the boss fight, but not after.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Thanks for the clarification man. So what exactly do they do behind the fog? Just camp until you beat the boss? I mean, why would the articles lie about the "new addition"?

Enemies will follow you more tenaciously, even through fog gates — a terrifying, potentially ruinous side effect of PS4’s expanded RAM pool.
The above quote was used in many sites pre-launch.

I love so many things about Bloodborne... but there are a few really critical areas it falls short on for me. For one, it never feels like exploration in that game is actually rewarded with anything of substance (yay more insight items...) which makes exploring its beautiful world feel somewhat dull and for two builds and playstyle options feel extremely limited. Dark Souls 2 does both of these really really well which is one of the reasons I'm so stoked to go back to it after playing Bloodborne. They're both very similar yet so different in design philosophy that I feel like one almost compliments the other.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
There's no Pyromancer class, but fire damage scales with magic and faith now, so it's worth putting points into those stats (as well as upgrading the pyro flame just like in DS1).

If you're putting points into INT/FTH then that also opens up to be a jack of all trades Hexer, using hexes (dark magic) as well as magic and miracles. You're spoilt for choice really.

OK wow, so I have to put points into INT/FTH in addition to STR or DEX, as well as VIT/END? Man, it was so much easier in DS1 when I only had to pump points into STR/VIT/END.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like it. How are you supposed to contemplate death and living with only a 2 second load time?

Bloodbourne's loading times have been driving me slowly insane lately, so I'm quite happy that DS2 still has the uber-fast loading times (on PC, at least)

creyas

PS4 EU servers seem to be down. 'You have signed out of PSN. Returning to Title Menu.' Siiiigh. Don't really want to play offline.

Top Bottom