• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

VashTS

Is the gameplay effect like TGS?

Like, does it work as intended in the original reveal?

It's closer to the original idea, but the game still just applies a contrast correction filter as you enter a room, unlike the real lighting engine of the original reveal. Nothing you can't do with just an ENB mod or sweetFX on PC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
jesus christ I forgot how fast and smooth this is at 60 (yes yes another "coming from BB" comment, but its true)

nvm you need to light it at bonfires or other torches :D

No dynamic shadows being cast. I'm not happy. :p

Fine. With a torch up, dynamic shadows are being cast (from character, enemies and also from background objects like the boxes and pillars, even though it's not obvious from this picture).

2X9JNir.jpg

It's closer to the original idea, but the game still just applies a contrast correction filter as you enter a room, unlike the real lighting engine of the original reveal. Nothing you can't do with just an ENB mod or sweetFX on PC.

Can ENB or SweetFX apply effect on a room by room basis?

Pimpbaa

Something as simple as a durability bug still not being fixed makes me wonder if they will ever be able or willing to fix something more complicated as the loading in Bloodborne.

I just realized that now the Wiki's will have to be rebuilt.

I've seen a DX9 vsDX11 comparison. Has anyone posted a comparison between this and a good ENB like wickfuts?

Something as simple as a durability bug still not being fixed makes me wonder if they will ever be able or willing to fix something more complicated as the loading in Bloodborne.

It's not uncommon for games to have problems when the physics are tied to the framerate. This isnt just a From problem.

Bl@de

This. The game adjusts brightness when you enter marked "dark" areas. It's not a simple filter that makes the game darker. There is a little transition and suddenly it goes pitch black. I posted comparisons a couple of pages back.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Are Dex builds any good? I have always played Souls games with shields but I am looking for something a little different to keep this play-through fresh.

I've always played each souls game as a pure dex build. Never had issue beating any that way. Just prepare for lots of dodge rolls and learning patterns. If you avoid magic, just be sure to have a magic/elemental weapon to switch out as well for certain enemies. Fun play style overall.

Buburibon

Fine. With a torch up, dynamic shadows are being cast (from character, enemies and also from background objects like the boxes and pillars, even though it's not obvious from this picture).

2X9JNir.jpg

That's right, torches do cast dynamic shadows as they did originally in the DX9 version. I know it's too much to ask, but I was hoping every light (or almost very light) would now cast shadows in the "upgraded" Scholar of the First Sin. That, and native HBAO+ support which in my opinion is an inexcusable omission. I mean, they could've worked with Nvidia on this.

In any case, I'll pick it up sometime in the next few days once I wrap up BB.

wickfut

Banned

no. and that's why they can look great in some areas and completely mess other areas up.

If it could do that it would be a god send and it was what we were hoping for when Boris said he was continuing support for his .dll file, but he stopped due to not liking the game and being frustrated trying to debug certain things only to find it was the actual game code which was problematic rather than his own code .dll file.

in other news. fuck this game. I'm done with it. it's turned into a "surprise! you're dead" gank fest. I can't progress through to the ruin sentinels due to the statue blocking the building and me using up my branches of yore on the other added statues in the game. And also because they've sucked the fun and suspense clean out of it. It's basically zombie nation with a sword.

those shadows were in the original DS2 too.

Nere

Beat the last giant but can't seem to go through the fog for the pursuer its a blag fog and says you cannot pass am I missing something here? please help!!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I forgot there was a stat purely for item load, come on From >_<

also those fucking piglets in Majula, fuck off demon pigs from hell. Estus Flask shard still in the well, thats nice. Mace still in the ledge you drop down, ok. Its all coming back to me :)

anyway, was there always a statue blocking a fog door in the tutorial area? thts one of those statues that block various progress and you need a item to turn them back to human right? its all a blur to me lol

game looks great, but I cant tell you how much better it looks, as I only played vanilla at launch, so I look at it and think "yup its dark souls 2". the 60fps and load times coming from BB tho, goddamn...

rybrad

I've always played each souls game as a pure dex build. Never had issue beating any that way. Just prepare for lots of dodge rolls and learning patterns. If you avoid magic, just be sure to have a magic/elemental weapon to switch out as well for certain enemies. Fun play style overall.
Any suggestions on what would be good weapons to go for? I am sure moveset will end up determining what I use as usual but having an idea of "good" ones to try out would be helpful.

I forgot there was a stat purely for item load, come on From >_<

also those fucking piglets in Majula, fuck off demon pigs from hell. Estus Flask shard still in the well, thats nice. Mace still in the ledge you drop down, ok. Its all coming back to me :)

anyway, was there always a statue blocking a fog door in the tutorial area? thts one of those statues that block various progress and you need a item to turn them back to human right? its all a blur to me lol

game looks great, but I cant tell you how much better it looks, as I only played vanilla at launch, so I look at it and think "yup its dark souls 2". the 60fps and load times coming from BB tho, goddamn...

It's blocking the sex-change coffin. No real reason why.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wow just watched the video, the durability is nowhere near as bad as people are complaining. It's basically the same as vanilla Dark Souls II PC. Suck it up, yall. Don't over swing, and place your hits well.

Nere

Help guys I can't go to the Pursuer the fog is black and says Cannot pass wtf is this?? any help would be appreciated.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Would anyone like to help test a DX11 DS2: SotFS SLI profile? We reckon mccompat10=0x880020F5 will work, but it'll take us a good long while to test a variety of game locations using different settings and different system configs.

With your help we can find a good profile far faster, and then get that out to every other player far quicker.

If you do test it, please post your findings along with your driver version and system config (a dxdiag posted to pastebin would be ideal).

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Andy
NVIDIA

Wow just watched the video, the durability is nowhere near as bad as people are complaining. It's basically the same as vanilla Dark Souls II PC. Suck it up, yall. Don't over swing, and place your hits well.

Even with the bug, it is not so bad. I think No Mans Wharf is the only section of the game where durability was an issue on my PC playthrough.

Having said that, it is still pretty embarrassing that From has not addressed it. It may not be game breaking, but it does make their programmers look incompetent. They made a cardinal programming sin by tying gameplay functions to framerate.

Less known bug is the Alonne Knight animations also tied to framerate. They attack soooo much faster on PC. I expect it is the same here.

Rhaknar

smooth birds gave me...a demon's hammer. The fuck am I supposed to do with a Demon's Hammer 10 mintues into the game you stupid birds!

Help guys I can't go to the Pursuer the fog is black and says Cannot pass wtf is this?? any help would be appreciated.

You didn't download the entire game yet (PSN, I presume)? I had that problem just now, can't get to Pursuer (although I killed him before), into the Shaded Woods entrance or past the Dragonrider bonfire. Guess I'll have to wait until it's properly downloaded.

Rhaknar

what are the soft caps in this again? completely forgot

got too much BB on the brain

Nere

Your game is downloading?

You didn't download the entire game yet (PSN, I presume)? I had that problem just now, can't get to Pursuer (although I killed him before), into the Shaded Woods entrance or past the Dragonrider bonfire. Guess I'll have to wait until it's properly downloaded.

Welp it was that stupid of a reason? I guess I will just have to wait for it to download then thanks for the replies=)

void666

Banned
I had forgotten how cheap this game is. I probably died more times in a few hours than i did in a full play through of bloodborne. I really hope B-team never touch anything souls related again.

I had forgotten how cheap this game is. I probably died more times in a few hours than i did in a full play through of bloodborne. I really hope B-team never touch anything souls related again.

Hitboxes and damage triggers are pretty awful. Like 5 times in my last session I got hit by dudes who were just staring at me. I guess their damage triggers at the very beginning of their attack animation.

Get a shield. Drangleic is best
Hold shield up.
Circle around enemy on lunges.
Backstab

Never die again

In all truth though DS2 is insanely cheap. So many random deaths

void666

Banned
Hitboxes and damage triggers are pretty awful. Like 5 times in my last session I got hit by dudes who were just staring at me. I guess their damage triggers at the very beginning of their attack animation.

I love how heide knights have moves without any sort of telling. I'm behind them and they have this instant turn around and hit move i can't dodge.

Get a shield. Drangleic is best
Hold shield up.
Circle around enemy on lunges.
Backstab

Never die again

In all truth though DS2 is insanely cheap. So many random deaths

True. I guess i'll just forget this "play like it's bloodborne" and switch to my good old shielded cheese knight.

def sim

True. I guess i'll just forget this "play like it's bloodborne" and switch to my good old shielded cheese knight.

There's nothing wrong with shieldless runs. Bloodborne made it easy to do so, but it's always been a nice challenge in all the other Souls games.

Don't give up on it!

Rhaknar

im actually excited to play a big knight shield run after BB, change it up a bit

Abylim

OK. I have to be honest here. The durability issue is real.

I've tried 6 times to make the Majula -> FotFG 2nd bonfire run without having the broadsword break without being successful.

See video below of my first attempt:
Broadsword durability test demonstration

I even tried skipping the big tree area with all the new enemies and only killed those that I actually knew were from vanilla DS2 - and it still broke in, or just after the tunnel leading to the bonfire. You shouldn't be forced to skip enemies just to avoid having weapons break on you every 5 mins or less.

If they can't fix it actually depleting due to being hardcoded they need to increase the durability of all weapons. Patch 1.15 wasn't enough.

What's Bamco's or FROM's official twitter accounts?

So I'm not crazy? You guys we're making me feel like I was blowing it out of proportion earlier

Just got the new version of the game for £19 on PC! Now that is more in line with what I wanted to pay for this. Looking forward to giving it a shot after playing the first Dark Souls for hundreds of hours.

DeaviL

Banned
So I'm not crazy? You guys we're making me feel like I was blowing it out of proportion earlier

You were, as is he.
Never had a problem on PC at 60, it's easy to see who's on PS4 now though.

You guys are complaining about nothing. Didn't you know that corpses double in density and develop course, abrasive scales when their soul has left the body? This is observable in the real world. Y'all need to get good and appreciate From's attention to detail.

While you could still classify it as a problem....
Why exactly are you hitting corpses again?

You guys are complaining about nothing. Didn't you know that corpses double in density and develop course, abrasive scales when their soul has left the body? This is observable in the real world. Y'all need to get good and appreciate From's attention to detail.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Would anyone like to help test a DX11 DS2: SotFS SLI profile? We reckon mccompat10=0x880020F5 will work, but it'll take us a good long while to test a variety of game locations using different settings and different system configs.

With your help we can find a good profile far faster, and then get that out to every other player far quicker.

If you do test it, please post your findings along with your driver version and system config (a dxdiag posted to pastebin would be ideal).

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Andy
NVIDIA

I just came back from an hour-long session trying out a Bandit to go full STR. If I had seen this post before, I would have tried it :( I'll put the SLI bits in right now and try it in the morning.

Carlius

Banned
this durability complaint is getting out of hand to be honest...You have THREE weapons slots, use them. why play with one weapon all game? its like using the drake sword in ds1, such a bullshit weapon.

i have absolutley no issue carrying repair powder or even going back to repair my weapons. hell, ive gotten to the point where i broke all three swords and i had to go back. whats the issue again?

Robot Pants

Hahaha wtf at the Super Sonic Undead in the Huntsmans Copse

this durability complaint is getting out of hand to be honest...You have THREE weapons slots, use them. why play with one weapon all game? its like using the drake sword in ds1, such a bullshit weapon.

i have absolutley no issue carrying repair powder or even going back to repair my weapons. hell, ive gotten to the point where i broke all three swords and i had to go back. whats the issue again?
It's a legit complaint. I have no problem with the sped up decay of weapons in vanilla (30fps) DS2. But not it doubling.
And the weapon slots are meant to be used for different weapons for different situations, not to counter-act their durability bug.

I hear all these durability complaints, but I just think about my experiences managing equipment in Shadow Tower Abyss and feel like I'm more than prepared to handle this.

Exactly. People are complaining about a "bug" or an "oversight" when they should be grateful for a "feature" that From intentionally implemented to make them more mindful of their weapon's condition.

Resorting to weapons is kind of scrubbish to begin with. Remember folks, your fists never lose durability. Fill all six weapon slots with your fist.

Top Bottom