• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I don't see the issue about char creation. At the end, the body will be all covered by the the beautiful armor set.

You guys should be grateful about the GREAT EQUIPMENT DESIGN that the soul games have instead of moaning about the character design. Who cares?!

buuuuuut my waifuuuu

psy18

"New enemy placement"

I really wish From use this release to adjust some part of the original game where there are tons of tough enemies between bonfire and boss because its just cheap and frustating. (huntsman, heide, sinner)

Or do they actually want us to farm those enemies until they despawn?

PBY

Banned
Wait- there's a durability bug on the PS4?

I'm not at all okay w/ having to use a "backup weapon". That shits broken if so.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't see the issue about char creation. At the end, the body will be all covered by the the beautiful armor set.

You guys should be grateful about the GREAT EQUIPMENT DESIGN that the soul games have instead of moaning about the character design. Who cares?!
Well, you're not wrong, but I always try to leave the face visible, because I managed to make some pretty nice faces. :)

Some examples (sorry for the mega blur, I don't have a capture card so my friend took those using the binoculars on the PS3):

Qv4VLP.png
NCb4Fs.png

pF1BjO.png

9kth4q.png
bFS6LU.png

iRZ2F1.png

IGOq0C.png

And my two PC guys, Drizzt and Jarlaxe ;)

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, I finally sat down and played Scholar of the First Sin. I started as a Deprived, though I'm thinking I should restart either as a Bandit or Knight for a pure STR build. Quick impressions so far:

The upgrade in lightning is quite noticeable, even on PC.
The added particle effects look pretty good.
It runs at a rock solid 60 FPS on two SLIed 680s.
Some of the early changes are interesting:
the "statue" in Things Betwixt
the exploding barrel in the ruins where the other "statue" is located
)
God damn: the durability does go much quicker than what I remember of the first release. I noticed that there are some "sparks" coming out of the Hollows I'm hitting. Is this new or was it always there? Because it makes the same effect as when you hit a wall (which, AFAIK, triggers the "bug").

I'm a year older and wiser. I guess I'll stick with DkS2 to the bitter end this time.

Jin

Going back to DS2 after Bloodbourne is wrecking me. I'm spamming the dodge button and realize my stamina is gone after 2-3 rolls. After a week of BB I still have this aggressive mentality that's getting me killed. I love these difference between the two games.

Meneses

So, regarding changes in enemy/item placement, AI, etc what is the verdict so far?
Overall is it an improvement or not so much?
I've seen some posts about this but the thread is really focused on the durability issue so far.

Enemy placement is... weird.

Some of the changes / additions seem like they were made just "because". Not sure how to feel about it.

But at the very least it gives a little bit of a fresh feeling to most of us who played too much of the original version.

Vitor711

I just went through the first few bonfires on my new playthrough and never experienced any issue with durability, even knowing it existed. As long as people play conservatively (most do, as new players), shouldn't run into this too much.

This was my experience with the original PC release when running at 60FPS.

People are making a mountain of out a non-issue. The only downside to having two weapons equipped is that it affects encumbrance.

Avoiding the encumbrance issue by only ever having one weapon equipped so you didn't get the 'fat-roll' was always gaming the system and not a mechanic. At worst, it means you have to keep two weapons upgraded and switch them out in the menu instead of on the fly (which takes like 5 seconds at most). And if you didn't bother to look at your current durability rating before facing a tough enemy/boss, well then, that's hardly the game's fault. I mean, if you weren't ever meant to worry about durability, why even have the mechanic? And it's nowhere near as bad as some people claim. You can get between bonfires without having a weapon break unless you're checking every wall for an illusory door...

Honestly, if you only went around DkS2 with one weapon type, you were doing it wrong anyway. It's true that blunt took precedence due to the mass amount of armoured foes, but even then, I would switch up between large hammers and the lighter maces depending on the enemy. Never had a problem with the durability. If I did, it was because I had been playing poorly and hitting walls/dead bodies because I was button mashing out of frustration/panic/inattention.

Seriously, just equip one of the several +durability rings. It basically removes the entire mechanic from the game and you only sacrifice a single ring slot (one of four).

Skii

The dude above missed a bonfire. That's not the case at all.

Also, people are overlooking the fact that there are several durability rings in the came that basically negate that entire mechanic. I had one equipped when playing the original PC release and never had a weapon even come close to breaking.

They're not that hard to find/deep into the game either.

LOL what? He fought like 2 enemies between Majula and that bonfire. That is one of the most irrelevant bonfires in any Souls game. That is not an excuse for such a bug making its way into the final game.

Newboi

I guess the team decided that having enemies follow you forever wouldn't be too broken seeing that all enemies have limited spawns (referring to re-spawning after killing them), unless a bonfire ascetic is used to reset the spawn count.

Unless DSKII vets overwhelmingly say the new enemy layouts and multiplayer changes make dramatic improvements to the game, I'm not sure If I'll pick this up before a heavy sale.

I'm glad the impressions are mostly positive so far though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Avoiding the encumbrance issue by only ever having one weapon equipped so you didn't get the 'fat-roll' was always gaming the system and not a mechanic. At worst, it means you have to keep two weapons upgraded and switch them out in the menu instead of on the fly (which takes like 5 seconds at most). And if you didn't bother to look at your current durability rating before facing a tough enemy/boss, well then, that's hardly the game's fault. I mean, if you weren't ever meant to worry about durability, why even have the mechanic? And it's nowhere near as bad as some people claim. You can get between bonfires without having a weapon break unless you're checking every wall for an illusory door...

This entire paragraph reads like dry sarcasm

CHC

I never even noticed the durability issue. Sunk about 100 hours into the PS3 version and then at least twice that many into the PC version.

Certain hyperbolic language is amazing, though, ie; "literally floors me". Better call someone to help you back up there

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
So, can I replace 32-bit DS2 on my Steam wishlist with this one?

It looks like things have changed and people don't like some of it.

I guess the team decided that having enemies follow you forever wouldn't be too broken seeing that all enemies have limited spawns (referring to re-spawning after killing them), unless a bonfire ascetic is used to reset the spawn count.

Unless DSKII vets overwhelmingly say the new enemy layouts and multiplayer changes make dramatic improvements to the game, I'm not sure If I'll pick this up before a heavy sale.

I'm glad the impressions are mostly positive so far though.

I've just cleared out Forest of the Fallen Giants. TONS of changes so far. I wouldn't say all of them make for a better game, but they do mix it up. Overall maybe slightly more enemies, but they're mostly redistributed. No turtle near the exploding barrels, but there's one in the outer hallway (with the gigantic sword into the wall). A visiting troll to surprise you. Last enemies before Pursuer replaced with guests from the next level.

And it's pretty hilarious - they DID add the E3/TGS lightning back for the side corridor which was in the first demo. It's now dark, but you can light it with sconces while you fight... other enemies than before. And then you move into that side area which now has an invader...

The layout makes a pretty dramatic difference so far. I've done this place a million times but I need to be careful again and look around.

One useful addition is that there are several basic level weapons spread around, so you can get started on them a bit earlier. I went with my trusty Bastard Sword for now.

Oh, and I only came near to breaking my weapon on the first stretch to Cardinal Tower when I killed everything. Haven't had a problem since. Issue completely overblown - as expected.

Bl@de

SotFS is definetly superior in my opinion and the definite edition. Enemy placement, lightning and everything improves the game. I won't be going back to my old DS2 version anymore. But note that I "only" played 5h today. So it's still an early impression.

Manus

I'm loving the changes, but I'm not to picky since I just love the Souls series. All the new enemy placements are great and are making for a good surprise. I've also had no problems with items breaking quick, but I always carry one or two extra weapons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why is the resolution defaulting to a weird 2715 X 1527?

I haven't been reading every page of the thread, but can anyone confirm or deny whether the hitbox issues are still present? I don't really care to re-ignite the argument over whether it's an issue or how bad it is, just a simple yes, no, or the jury is still out would be fine.

I haven't been reading every page of the thread, but can anyone confirm or deny whether the hitbox issues are still present? I don't really care to re-ignite the argument over whether it's an issue or how bad it is, just a simple yes, no, or the jury is still out would be fine.

Yes.

derwalde

i cannot get ANYONE into my game. every summon attemp fails after a few seconds. on the other hand i can get summoned just fine.

can anyone please help me :/ (PS4)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm I didnt even know about those DSR settings. aparently I only had 1 box checked in the various resolutions, I checked them all now (in the nvidia control panel, had to watch a video because im a noob) and now Dark Souls defaults to 3840 X 2160 so...ok then?

guess Ill try it?

def sim

i'm excited to start this up later tonight

i ended up clearing the last few steam achievements for vanilla dks2 the other day. bloodborne had me really wanting to dive back into souls :O

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
I've just cleared out Forest of the Fallen Giants. TONS of changes so far. I wouldn't say all of them make for a better game, but they do mix it up. Overall maybe slightly more enemies, but they're mostly redistributed. No turtle near the exploding barrels, but there's one in the outer hallway (with the gigantic sword into the wall). A visiting troll to surprise you. Last enemies before Pursuer replaced with guests from the next level.

And it's pretty hilarious - they DID add the E3/TGS lightning back for the side corridor which was in the first demo. It's now dark, but you can light it with sconces while you fight... other enemies than before. And then you move into that side area which now has an invader...

The layout makes a pretty dramatic difference so far. I've done this place a million times but I need to be careful again and look around.

One useful addition is that there are several basic level weapons spread around, so you can get started on them a bit earlier. I went with my trusty Bastard Sword for now.

Oh, and I only came near to breaking my weapon on the first stretch to Cardinal Tower when I killed everything. Haven't had a problem since. Issue completely overblown - as expected.

Also just cleared it, and the part in bold sums up my feelings on the placement changes so far.

I disagree though with durability decay being completely overblown. 25% increase of durability on most weapons(especially starter) would be enough to counter the new additions of enemies. There's 4-5 in places where there were only 1-2 now.

I carry 3 sets of weapons and lots of repair powder so no longer an issue for me either.

First hour was irritating when I was testing different starting weapons durability, but afterwards it's been a breeze. I'm really having a good time and there's an incredible amount of summoning signs pretty much everywhere. Finding them in corners here and there, so I guess people are trying to hook up with friends.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Confirmed, I'll start playing this come Monday!

Shiokazu

this little thing just happened to me

http://gyazo.com/db3e83b40db2e848d296c6f644166f56

bug. a real persistent one too. I was in forest of lost giants, luring a mob inside the second bonfire. then tought i fell to the ground but everything simply vanished. exepcept light elements for some reason.

died, teleported to majula and then it was the time i took this screenshot.

right now im trying to verify the game cache on steam, if it doesnt solves the problem i'll post it into the community.

i tried quitting the game too. didnt solved. worst case scenario is: having to make a new character ( no big deal really. )

That's too bad, because you can do the same thing with easilly modded vanilla dark souls 2.
BLS63he.png

Well, that didn't stop people from demanding FROM's heads on stakes (and neither will my picture, obviously).

As for hitboxes, trolls are still wonky. One grabbed me when I was way off to the side. Didn't have a problem with Pursuer, but I back well away when he does that move.

Top Bottom