• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Spoo

So, I'm kinda upset that the PC version of this doesn't have Keyboard/Mouse prompt images. Vanilla did, apparantly, and when I went through the game the first time I didn't have an issue with the controls, and now I'm feeling a little annoyed figuring out everything :\

Will they patch this? It's the only thing right now that is hurting my enjoyment, I feel like this version of the game should at least be AS GOOD as vanilla.

Kssio_Aug

Tagyhag

If someone wants to join the Covenant of Champions for infinite respawns, you better get really good at backstabbing, because with the decreased durability your weapons will break FAST.

Still, I'm having fun, and the durability forces me to keep more than one weapon at hand unlike DeS and DS where I just steamrolled through everything with one main weapon.

Neoweee

So, how is performance compared to Dark Souls 1 with DSfix? I can run that fine, and I heard that the DX9 version ran better, but the new system requirements look really high.

So, I'm kinda upset that the PC version of this doesn't have Keyboard/Mouse prompt images. Vanilla did, apparantly, and when I went through the game the first time I didn't have an issue with the controls, and now I'm feeling a little annoyed figuring out everything :\

Will they patch this? It's the only thing right now that is hurting my enjoyment, I feel like this version of the game should at least be AS GOOD as vanilla.

Incorrect.

I doubt they will do anything about it honestly. You need AHK or something for keyboard and mouse if you want it to be perfect. It works great imo if you set it up to your liking, but I doubt there are many who will put down the 20 min required to achieve that.

Oh god I want to buy this but I don't want to at the same time!

I'm doing a NG+ run of Bloodborne atm - For Bloodborne players, how does it feel like going back to Souls?

MattyG

Banned
Wait, they didn't fix the durability bug?

mysmilie_4698.png

What the fuck FROM.

wickfut

Banned

I'm doing a NG+ run of Bloodborne atm - For Bloodborne players, how does it feel like going back to Souls?

ha. it looks like shit. it plays too slow and I got bored and wanted to play bloodborne.

I'll play through it another day, maybe

Atlus

Banned

Most likely someone will mod the game to use the mouse + keyboard prompts before From fixes it. (Since there already exist mods for the vanilla version that changes the UI, including one that changes the prompts to support dualshock controllers)

Respect

ha. it looks like shit. it plays too slow and I got bored and wanted to play bloodborne.

I'll play through it another day, maybe

Going from the fastest "souls" combat of BB to the slowest in DaS 2 has me the most worried about diving in right now.

EDIT: This durability bug isn't very encouraging either.

dissa9

Neo Member
Jesus, I'm getting absolutely destroyed on this in the FoFG, feels a lot harder the DaS1. The ganking enemies aren't helping and coming straight from Bloodborne I've forgotten how to be patient.

I wasted two human effigies trying to restore my health at a bonfire, didn't realise you had to use them, not burn.

On a positive note, the game like looks gorgeous on the ps4, the lighting and 60fps really give the game a great feel.

Hope I can get my head around the combat, I've been surprised how difficult I've found the first area.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
OK. I have to be honest here. The durability issue is real.

I've tried 6 times to make the Majula -> FotFG 2nd bonfire run without having the broadsword break without being successful.

See video below of my first attempt:
Broadsword durability test demonstration

I even tried skipping the big tree area with all the new enemies and only killed those that I actually knew were from vanilla DS2 - and it still broke in, or just after the tunnel leading to the bonfire. You shouldn't be forced to skip enemies just to avoid having weapons break on you every 5 mins or less.

If they can't fix it actually depleting due to being hardcoded they need to increase the durability of all weapons. Patch 1.15 wasn't enough.

What's Bamco's or FROM's official twitter accounts?

wickfut

Banned
Going from the fastest "souls" combat of BB to the slowest in DaS 2 has me the most worried about diving in right now.

I don't know if this new version has a raised difficulty level or I'm trying to play like I do in bloodborne. I can usually go about 4 bosses without dying.. I've died about 15 times already (5 by basilisks in the start statue area) and I've only done the first 3 bosses. The enemy ganking in the new version is really starting to piss me off too.

dissa9

Neo Member

I've tried 6 times to make the Majula -> FotFG 2nd bonfire run without having the broadsword break without being successful

I had the same issue, my shortsword hilt broke very early into the level, was surprised how quickly it broke. I had to battle through the tree area with a dagger, fortunately, there is
a shortsword up the ladder to the right of the large tree area

I've since stocked up on weapons at the
first merchant who isn't too far away from the tree area

Tagyhag

https://twitter.com/bandainamcous

While I agree that the durability of the weapons should be increased by at least 25%, watching your video, you only backstabbed 1 enemy out of all of them, and you did a couple of extra swings after killing some.

Now, that's not an excuse for the durability, especially the already dead enemies hurting the weapon (If someone thinks it's intended, they're crazy), but if you played the game more like a Souls game, you'd have over 50% durability in the weapon left.

Vitten

I've tried 6 times to make the Majula -> FotFG 2nd bonfire run without having the broadsword break without being successful.

I even tried skipping the big tree area with all the new enemies and only killed those that I actually knew were from vanilla DS2 - and it still broke in, or just after the tunnel leading to the bonfire. You shouldn't be forced to skip enemies just to avoid having weapons break on you every 5 mins or less.

If they can't fix it actually depleting due to being hardcoded they need to increase the durability of all weapons. Patch 1.15 wasn't enough.

Pfff.. I was looking forward to diving into Drangleic again on PS4 after platting the game on PS3 but this really makes me doubt if I should bother just for the nicer graphics... Does NOT sound fun at all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

BRB watching.

mnannola

FROM really needs a new technical director. I don't want to call any developers lazy because I'm sure they are super busy, but how can this stuff not be resolved? How is it that the lighting shown in the original DS2 trailers did not make it into this remake?

dreamlock

https://twitter.com/bandainamcous

While I agree that the durability of the weapons should be increased by at least 25%, watching your video, you only backstabbed 1 enemy out of all of them, and you did a couple of extra swings after killing some.

Now, that's not an excuse for the durability, especially the already dead enemies hurting the weapon (If someone thinks it's intended, they're crazy), but if you played the game more like a Souls game, you'd have over 50% durability in the weapon left.

Thanks.

The video is only my first attempt trying to play it like a new player would for the first time. Furthest I got was killing the first enemy after the tunnel and then I had to switch to shortsword again. I did play DS2 vanilla, but I don't recall it ever being this quick to break.

Sure, you could be running multiple sets in DS2, but the durability does seem to need a slight boost.

EDIT: I'll do a backstab only run and report back.

EDIT2: 11 enemies backstabbed, 2 slashes to finish two off. Skipped enemies in the tree area completely. Sword still broke after the tunnel and I didn't even hit any walls...

Be my guest if you want to try it yourself. It seems impossible with the standard Broadsword though.

FROM really needs a new technical director. I don't want to call any developers lazy because I'm sure they are super busy, but how can this stuff not be resolved? How is it that the lighting shown in the original DS2 trailers did not make it into this remake?

Because those assets where only made in early development and scrapped when the game was rebuilt

That level of fidelity was never created for the whole game in the first place so they would have to go back and rebuild the game again with that level of fidelity across the board

The team and director mentions this in the recent interview/postmortem

wickfut

Banned
Because those assets where only made in early development and scrapped when the game was rebuilt

That level of fidelity was never created for the whole game in the first place so they would have to go back and rebuild the game again with that level of fidelity across the board

The team and director mentions this in the recent interview/postmortem

It's not like this new version is free. We have just paid them more money.. why didn't they do this?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just watched it. Nothing has changed. The reason why the durability is lower than it would've been in vanilla DkS2 is because there are more enemies from x to y bonfire to fight now.

They haven't adapted the durability-thing to the amount of new enemies.

That's the issue here.

void666

Banned

It's very slow and clunky if you try to play it like bloodborne. You can't move fast enough. Every move spends loads of stamina. It's like trying to run with iron balls chained to your legs.
When i go back to bloodborne it's so good. It just flows. So smooth.

It's not like this new version is free. We have just paid them more money.. why didn't they do this?

Because it would require the resources necessary to basically build the same game twice instead of just remaster what was already a complete game

As sad and angry as I am that the game was never completely built in the original style we have the late/cross gen limitations to blame for it and its a done deal

The good news is that now that cross gen is on its way out you can expect any new souls games going forward to look at least as good as Bloodborne

Meneses

The lower durability was indeed a feature on the original version, requiring you to have more than one weapon with you. I played dozens of hours and it never felt cheap, it actually added to the challenge.

However, the 60 fps versions are indeed worse than the original, so this can't be the intended effect.

Tagyhag

Thanks.

The video is only my first attempt trying to play it like a new player would for the first time. Furthest I got was killing the first enemy after the tunnel and then I had to switch to shortsword again. I did play DS2 vanilla, but I don't recall it ever being this quick to break.

Sure, you could be running multiple sets in DS2, but the durability does seem to need a slight boost.

EDIT: I'll do a backstab only run and report back.

Ah ok gotcha, yeah that makes more sense.

Even if FROM didn't know how to fix the bug, all they have to do is double the durability of all weapons and call it a day. (I know some of the weapons had some added from the recent changelog but it wasn't all of them and it wasn't too much)

My guess is that PC players in the original didn't know it was different from the consoles while playing, and not enough people spoke about it that they decided to change anything. Now with console players added into the mix, the vocal group should be big enough that they might actually do something about it.

Because if someone is coming from BB or hell, even Dark Souls, the change is big enough that they might have to switch to a playstyle that they're not comfortable it and don't find fun.

Mogwai

Yep. Lazy developers is a bit of an unpopular term these days. But honestly, FromSoft has had time since range PC release and still haven't fixed it. I would dare to say that it's a bit lazy not to have implemented a solution by now.

Because it didn't happen in the PS3/360 versions. Stop defending the durability bug.

PSN is messed up right now. My install is starting and stopping all the time.

Geez, I was just curious. I don't like it either and I'm not trying to defend it.

I'm just saying, since the PC-version was the "main-platform" during development, chances are it's intentional. It's not impossible.

When you miss your targets and hit a wall, you'll be punished.
When you spam RT/R2, you'll be punished.

Maybe it's their way to encourage people to handle the game better?

Maybe it's there to encourage people to try new weapons? Maybe they want people to rely on several weapons instead of one, for the sake of variation?

I'm just trying to figure it out, because this issue should be really easy to fix (which they already have, but to a very limited degree) if it really is a bug.

Arent there consumable items you can buy and find that restore durability?

Sounds like we just need to have a stock of those from now on

Tarkus

Even if FROM didn't know how to fix the bug, all they have to do is double the durability of all weapons and call it a day. (I know some of the weapons had some added from the recent changelog but it wasn't all of them and it wasn't too much)
It was mainly the weapons with special attacks that consumed durability when used like the Drakewing Ultra Greatsword.

dreamlock

Arent there consumable items you can buy and find that restore durability?

Sounds like we just need to have a stock of those from now on

Yeah, like in DS2 vanilla on PC 60 fps repair powder is very much necessary. Already started building my stock until they increase the durability to adjust to the amount of new enemies. :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My PC builds used dual scimitars and dual rapiers. Durability wasn't much of an issue.

I wonder if it's a problem due to the new enemy placement, really.

Any reason why you chose to skip resting at the first bonfire?

Vitten

The lower durability was indeed a feature on the original version, requiring you to have more than one weapon with you. I played dozens of hours and it never felt cheap, it actually added to the challenge.

However, the 60 fps versions are indeed worse than the original, so this can't be the intended effect.

The only place were I remember my weapon ever being in danger on the original was near the end of No-Mans Warf after clearing out the entire place.

Nabs

Welp. I think I'm going to buy this again =\

Geez, I was just curious. I don't like it either and I'm not trying to defend it.

I'm just saying, since the PC-version was the "main-platform" during development, chances are it's intentional. It's not impossible.

When you miss your targets and hit a wall, you'll be punished.
When you spam RT/R2, you'll be punished.

Maybe it's their way to encourage people to handle the game better?

Maybe it's there to encourage people to try new weapons? Maybe they want people to rely on several weapons instead of one, for the sake of variation?

I'm just trying to figure it out, because this issue should be really easy to fix (which they already have, but to a very small degree) if it really is a bug.

That's how I saw it. I don't know, I just adapted and didn't have a problem in my 70 hours with the game.

wickfut

Banned
Because it would require the resources necessary to basically build the same game twice instead of just remaster what was already a complete game

As sad and angry as I am that the game was never completely built in the original style we have the late/cross gen limitations to blame for it and its a done deal

The good news is that now that cross gen is on its way out you can expect any new souls games going forward to look at least as good as Bloodborne

No it wouldn't. The game is already built. The lighting "was" already in place. All that would be needed would be the lighting engine placed back into the game and each areas lighting codes altered. Then to spruce it up , add some extra clutter, higher quality textures (they'll already have these anyway) and improve the parallax mapping to textures.

Look at Skyrim. Choose an ENB, choose a texture mod and choose a flora mod. It completely revamps the game and is probably the combined work of 8 people over 5 months - and is still a hell of a lot more work than DS2 would need.

This is lazy. This is a cash in.

NoWayOut

How does it compare to the original PC version?

AmyS

Will be getting DSII for the first time with the PS4 version.

But I sure hope the development of Dark Souls III (or whatever Souls game is made next) goes a lot better and they decide to include lighting & detail that doesn't have to take into account last-gen consoles. Just PS4, XB1 and DX11 / DX12 PCs.

Skii

Wow, that is shocking. This is definitely going to annoy me. How can people honestly say it's a game design for your sword to break before the next bonfire? It's laughable considering how close bonfires are to each other in DS2 as well.

It's frankly indefensible for your favourite weapon to constantly break before you can finish off an area.

Meneses

The 60 fps version was the lead platform.

Well, the first version that came out was 30 (well, that's being a bit generous) and the durability thing was fine.

So, maybe either:

- It was a terrible design decision from the very start that for some reason got unexpectedly mitigated when the game was released at a lower frame rate;

- Or it is a fundamental flaw / bug in their system that they couldn't fix yet.

Both are bad, in my opinion.

dreamlock

My PC builds used dual scimitars and dual rapiers. Durability wasn't much of an issue.

I wonder if it's a problem due to the new enemy placement, really.

Any reason why you chose to skip resting at the first bonfire?

I wanted to see if it was possible to make the 2nd bonfire without restoring durability on the way. I did make more attempts though from that bonfire instead of running from Majula as that was tedious.

Just try it yourself. You won't make it to the next bonfire with the weapon intact if you avoid skipping enemies and backstab as often as you can. You are forced to either skip mobs or carry another weapon (which is I always do - only did this for testing after all.).

rybrad

Are Dex builds any good? I have always played Souls games with shields but I am looking for something a little different to keep this play-through fresh.

Top Bottom