• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

King_Moc

Banned
It's certainly got more visual variety than BB, even if the levels aren't anywhere near as intricately designed in that wonderful looping back in on themselves sort of way (barring the boss shortcuts).

And yeah, I loved the look of the game even on release. It's gorgeous on PC. Almost tempted to get the new release but I've played it to death already, DLC included...

Bloodborne is amazingly well designed, though i've just got to the point right before the end boss in around 23 hours, so a little short in comparison. The improvement (imo) to combat means I still think it's the better game though.

My save file corrupted when I got to castle Drangleic on my previous DS2 run through, and I didn't start back up, so everything after that is new to me. Looking forward to it.

After playing Bloodborne I will give this a go at some point. I hope they do a Demon souls remake because I hear that is most similiar to BB.

I feel BB is gonna give me at least 100 more hours though and I will not want to move right into another souls game after 200 some odd hours. It will be time to finish Type-0 then P4G.

Good sword but upgrades with Twinkling Titanite, which is a pain in the ass to scrounge up early in the game... Hell, for all the game. The Claymore is much better and can be gotten early given that you can get a Fragrant Branch of Yore.

I mean if you're DEX focused, then maybe it's a better option.
On twinkling

The new Pursuer rematch encounters drop twinkling. He appears twice in Lost Bastille, so that + Duff = 3. I have no clue if he appears again after that though, but it's a tad more forgiving early game now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is the drangleic set and sword still down that hole after you kill pursuer or did they change that? I remember that being a huge early boost

Tarkus

Has it been nerfed in this version at all? I used it pretty much through my first playthrough last time, hits very hard.
Not that I know of. Trying to gather a total 15 twinkling titanite to fully upgrade it is not worth it IMO. The Claymore is just a better weapon with less stat requirements, easier to upgrade, moveset, longer reach etc. I think the Claymore in this game is the best version of the sword across all 3 Souls game.

How do I get the claymore earlier? That was my weapon of choice in vanilla
I hope this still applies to new item placements.
The quickest way IMO. Defeat Dragonrider at Heide's and get the miracle lady to open Huntsman's Copse. Defeat one of the bosses and open Harvest Valley. Fragrant Branch is near first bonfire in a poison pit. Fragrant branch lets you unpetrify the lady blocking the Shaded Woods. There's an NPC (whats left of him) there that sells the Claymore for 3000 souls near the beginning. Also a much needed melee ring is there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just saw a pic of the claymore, that's not I used in vanilla at all :(

I used a big ass sword that looked like it was made of stone

This durability thing is throwing me for a loop. It feels a lot worse than the old PC version. Killing two enemies takes off like 15% of the durability. Ridiculous. Remember lordran? They had good blacksmiths. Good times.

Tarkus

I predict the number of Red Iron Twinblade
WINBLADE
users goes through the roof because of this durability issue. Its durability is 175 and a damn fine weapon.

Rhaknar

Probably the greatsword yeah. It's not the blue one from the dwarf I never had that

Gestahl

Good sword but upgrades with Twinkling Titanite, which is a pain in the ass to scrounge up early in the game... Hell, for all the game. The Claymore is much better and can be gotten early given that you can get a Fragrant Branch of Yore.

I mean if you're DEX focused, then maybe it's a better option.

I don't know why, after From finally fixed a lot of grinding issues in DS1 through patches by making twinkling buyable, they keep regressing so much on this. Blood chunks aren't much better in BB and there's literally one slab equivalent in the main game outside of the NG+++ chalice dungeons.

Neoweee

I predict the number of Red Iron Twinblade
WINBLADE
users goes through the roof because of this durability issue. Its durability is 175 and a damn fine weapon.

It has 175 because FROM adjusted that high it after complaints about the durability penalty at 60 fps. It hits the ground constantly, so 175 is somewhat "normal".

Mman235

Is the Drangleic Sword still worth it?

Assuming it's not rebalanced/placed the Drangleic Sword is basically this game's Drake Sword; it's pretty easy and quick to get when you know how, and way beyond most other stuff at the start, but it doesn't really hold up compared to other weapons in the mid-late game at all. Although I think it does hold up a little better than the Drake Sword overall.

Alebrije

I know Souls games are not about the graphics but gameplay, but for the ones that played it on PS3 (like me) how does the PS4 versión improves besides the 1080p and 60fps.

Also for the ones that own Bloodborbe how DS remasters graphics compare to Blodborbe ? Do they look far inferior ?

Abylim

This durability thing is throwing me for a loop. It feels a lot worse than the old PC version. Killing two enemies takes off like 15% of the durability. Ridiculous. Remember lordran? They had good blacksmiths. Good times.

Not much point even posting about it, no ones going to think you are legit.

I just got the Ring that reduces degradation, it feels almost normal now.

Its
guarded by Pursuer in Lost Bastille, behind two illusary walls, the floor below the boss souls weapon trader.

I know Souls games are not about the graphics but gameplay, but for the ones that played it on PS3 (like me) how does the PS4 versión improves besides the 1080p and 60fps.

Also for the ones that own Bloodborbe how DS remasters graphics compare to Blodborbe ? Do they look far inferior ?

60 fps is a pretty big advantage over Bloodborne, I also prefer the artstyle in Dark Souls 2. Though Bloodborne has really detailed environments while DS looks rather plain. (Speaking from a PC player point of view, haven't played Scholars of the first sin). I really miss 60 fps in bloodborne, the loading and stuttering is awful in it.

They tweaked a bunch of items, there's DLC and enemy placement has changed as well.

def sim

335300_2015-04-02_000eyo1w.png

335300_2015-04-02_000c5ufg.png

downsampling from 4K

i'm only using the steam uncompressed capture option because whatevs

purg3

slept with Malkin
Hmm not sure what build to go with this time around. Didn't realize my favorite weapon was nerfed to hell and back since the last time I played. Might go with some type of Hex/Dex build since I never used hexes in vanilla. I'm actually really looking forward to diving back in this after watching some streams earlier. Will probably 1000/1000 this for a second time.

Rhaknar

Slowpoke question

The reference in the OT looks more a reference to FFXIII:LR instead of Dark Souls 2 downgrade/nerf?

It's a pun on holy spells being nerfed (holy lightning) not the game. Are we really going to drag that downgrade shit out again? Fucking really?

Game looks pretty great, but anyone know a way to get some HBAO going? I remember having to do some tweaking with the original release but I don't know if that's all changed now.

Rhaknar

Oh the title is Lighting and not Lightning? Well shit, I judge you OP for dredging that back up >_>

Neoweee

I like the start of Dark Souls 2 more than any of the other openings. There's no BS in the way. No tutorial. No bosses before the game opens up, and "hard" enemies available from the start. If you want to take a Deprived, powerstance a dagger, and blitz Heide's, you can from the start with no gating. And once you beat one boss, the rest opens up.

AJLma

It does look a lot sharper than I recall.

Playing a mage, sidestep the durability bullshit until a patch hopefully hits.

Rhaknar

It's still painful, right? Hehe

Not really, because I was always in the "game's change during development" camp and thought the whole #youlied stuff was utterly ridiculous. But like I said, let's not drudge that back up :/

Not really, because I was always in the "game's change during development" camp and thought the whole #youlied stuff was utterly ridiculous. But like I said, let's not drudge that back up :/

How was it ridiculous when they were using that footage and screenshots even weeks before release? It's fine if you don't care, but they did clearly lie about what the final game was gonna look like.

And it's really sad they charged $20/did a whole remaster for the PS4 and still couldn't get the originally lighting and graphics to return.

Not sure what's worth a $20 fee so far. I get to use my weapons on all of 5 enemies before it breaks!

Rhaknar

How was it ridiculous when they were using that footage and screenshots even weeks before release? It's fine if you don't care, but they did clearly lie about what the final game was gonna look like.

I find every twitter campaign ridiculous :p

acsn

Can someone explain how roll speed works in this game? My equip weight doesn't seem to change much. I know it has something to do with adaptability.

Neoweee

Can someone explain how roll speed works in this game? My equip weight doesn't seem to change much. I know it has something to do with adaptability.

Roll speed has nothing to do with AGL (which is incrased by adaptability, or attunement at a lower rate). AGL controls how invincible you are during rolling (you start at like 0.6x of Dark Souls 1's ninja roll, but can exceed DkS1 by something like 30% by the end? Not sure on the exact numbers.

Equip Weight controls roll speed, or more specifically, % of the load that you are at. It is a continuous, but non-linear spectrum. There is a fat roll animation change at 70%.

What % are you at, and what % are you comparing to?

IIRC below 30% you fast roll (BB speed), 30 to 70% you normal roll, above 70% you fat roll

No, it doesn't use the cut-off system that the first two Souls games uses. There are more interesting gear decisions to be made here to fit your playstyle and current max burden.

Rhaknar

IIRC below 30% you fast roll (BB speed), 30 to 70% you normal roll, above 70% you fat roll

squadr0n

Did they not add any more weapons or armor sets at all in this? I havent played it yet, its currently downloading on Steam and I havent played the DLC either. Did they atleast add new weapons and armor in the DLC?

Tarkus

Roll speed has nothing to do with AGL (which is incrased by adaptability, or attunement at a lower rate). AGL controls how invincible you are during rolling (you start at like 0.6x of Dark Souls 1's ninja roll, but can exceed DkS1 by something like 30% by the end? Not sure on the exact numbers.

Equip Weight controls roll speed, or more specifically, % of the load that you are at. It is a continuous, but non-linear spectrum. There is a fat roll animation change at 70%.

What % are you at, and what % are you comparing to?
I don't think it's the roll speed that's affected by equip load. I'm pretty sure it's just the distance of the roll. Just staying under 70% gives you the fast roll.

Top Bottom