• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Neoweee

I don't think it's the roll speed that's affected by equip load. I'm pretty sure it's just the distance of the roll. Just staying under 70% gives you the fast roll.

Well, the roll "duration" is the same 70% and below, so the distance is proportional to the "speed".

Or at least that's how I'm viewing it. I guess he could be referring to what you're saying.

Manus

Did they not add any more weapons or armor sets at all in this? I havent played it yet, its currently downloading on Steam and I havent played the DLC either. Did they atleast add new weapons and armor in the DLC?

Yeah new sets and weapons from the DLC.

Neoweee

Did they not add any more weapons or armor sets at all in this? I havent played it yet, its currently downloading on Steam and I havent played the DLC either. Did they atleast add new weapons and armor in the DLC?

There's a shitload of new stuff in the DLC that has been remixed into the main game now.

acsn

Well, the roll "duration" is the same 70% and below, so the distance is proportional to the "speed".

Or at least that's how I'm viewing it. I guess he could be referring to what you're saying.

I'm kind of confused about rolling in general. I wasn't aware that there was roll speed and distance. I've only played Demon's and Dark 1.

Neoweee

I'm kind of confused about rolling in general. I wasn't aware that there was roll speed and distance. I've only played Demon's and Dark 1.

Yeah. they split it up. Most of your defensive "skills" start lower than they did in DkS1, but if you specialize in them, they'll end up better. If you want the old ninja roll, it requires some stat commitment.

Tarkus

Fat roll with equip load above 70% is a slow ugly, painful looking roll. Under 70% is a smooth roll. The less equip load you have, the farther you spring forward when rolling. The most important thing is the invincibility frames of your character which are determined by the agility stat.

Faabulous

Fat roll with equip load above 70% is a slow ugly, painful looking roll. Under 70% is a smooth roll. The less equip load you have, the farther you spring forward when rolling. The most important thing is the invincibility frames of your character which are determined by the agility stat.

That's arguable, anything above 50% for me might as well be fat.

I don't know if I like these new enemy placements. It feels like they put random tougher enemies to make it more difficult.

For example
The 3 Pursuers in Lost Bastille
mentioned before. What's the point of having them there??

knitoe

Can't believe I just bought this game again. I must have spent hundreds of hours trying, and finally, accomplishing NO DEATH RUN. Don't want to do that any, but knowing me, going to wasted plenty of time again.

alazz

I don't know if I like these new enemy placements. It feels like they put random tougher enemies to make it more difficult.

For example
The 3 Pursuers in Lost Bastille
mentioned before. What's the point of having them there??

That spoiler makes sense, though. I remember a lot of people expressing desire in having it actually do its namesake act rather than only appear 3 times, or whatever. I thought that'd be frustrating but now I kind of dig it.

Sullichin

That spoiler makes sense, though. I remember a lot of people expressing desire in having it actually do its namesake act rather than only appear 3 times, or whatever. I thought that'd be frustrating but now I kind of dig it.
Do you get
ring of blades from them still?

Roll speed has nothing to do with AGL (which is incrased by adaptability, or attunement at a lower rate). AGL controls how invincible you are during rolling (you start at like 0.6x of Dark Souls 1's ninja roll, but can exceed DkS1 by something like 30% by the end? Not sure on the exact numbers.

Equip Weight controls roll speed, or more specifically, % of the load that you are at. It is a continuous, but non-linear spectrum. There is a fat roll animation change at 70%.

What % are you at, and what % are you comparing to?

This and ADP put together is the reason why I feel the game seems janky when it comes to dodging.

The first part means that I couldnt really adjust to a good roll speed like I could in Dark Souls 1. In DaS there was a clear cut boundary between the 2 rolls (not counting fat roll and no roll). You either rolled fast or you rolled slow. Consequently you could get used to a certain rolling speed and dodge accordingly. By the time you were halfway through the game, it was almost muscle memory. I-frames were tied to the same thing and it always felt consistent.

Now your rolling speed isnt split quite so clearly and I could never really get used to rolling and dodging attacks like I could earlier. Combine that with iframes being tied to AGL and its all a cluster fuck. You never really get any consistency.

Part of the reason why I love double handing weapons in Dark Souls 1 and hated it in Dark Souls 2.

NBtoaster

Game seems a little easier than the original version. You get the dull ember a lot earlier so you can buff your stuff and have access to infinite large titanite in the early game.

I'm only up to Earthern Peak, though this is a little harder because there are a lot more claw mannequins. Going sheildless with the falchion which seems like a crazy good weapon.

Voidguts

Game seems a little easier than the original version. You get the dull ember a lot earlier so you can buff your stuff and have access to infinite large titanite in the early game.

the game being easier has been my experience as well, the weapons do degrade faster but by the time I had enough souls to lvl 3-4 times I had 4~ish weapons to swap/dual wield.. so I don't really mind. when I played vanilla DS2, no DLC, it was all hexes/magic so the need to hit a bonfire to "refill" is still integral to my gameplay. i'd love a patch, though.

the "hdr" effect or whatever they have is pretty ridiculous, I made my dude fairly white+white stache and he's just a glowing blob whenever human and near a bonfire.

also, uh... how do you get infinite large titanite? spoiler tag pls and thanks

NBtoaster

the game being easier has been my experience as well, the weapons do degrade faster but by the time I had enough souls to lvl 3-4 times I had 4~ish weapons to swap/dual wield.. so I don't really mind. when I played vanilla DS2, no DLC, it was all hexes/magic so the need to hit a bonfire to "refill" is still integral to my gameplay. i'd love a patch, though.

the "hdr" effect or whatever they have is pretty ridiculous, I made my dude fairly white+white stache and he's just a glowing whenever human and near a bonfire.

also, uh... how do you get infinite large titane? spoiler tag pls and thanks

You get access to infinite large titanite from the Bastille blacksmith once you give him the dull ember, which you now get from a chest at the eagle entrance to the Bastille

Foffy

Banned
Do you actually think this is some sort of game breaking bug?

Haven't you wondered how people have been happily beating the game and PVPing on PC for nearly a year?

They were used to it. Two-thirds of the player base got a totally different experience, so this issue stands out a lot more to them. It's very obviously those players who see the difference, and see more bullshittery in it, as it makes most of the game stand out as being more tedious.

People who were used to it from the beginning are not going to see the types of flaws and issues it produces to the degree it goes without that contrast. It's why most people defending it seem to be users who stuck with the original PC release. They already combed a playstyle accommodating the bugs. You could legitimately play the PS3/360 release like any Souls game with two slots, so I'd be able to play with a primary set, and then a support set for using spells and the like. That's kind of gone in this version, at least really early on depending on your class. Now you sort of have to have two main weapons to swap between, because the first will very likely not last between locations...

Yes.

More important question: does it matter? No.

If the decay happens at the same rate as the original PC release, then it's not a problem. At all. People are complaining about something that only presents itself as an issue if you don't rest at every bonfire/hit walls constantly while fighting enemies. Nearly all weapons have a thrust move. Use it when fighting in tight corridors.

EDIT: I bet the actual 30FPS durability was the real bug and this 60FPS version is it working as intended. Why? Because you NEVER had a weapon break, or even come close to breaking on PS3 or 360. Why have a mechanic in the game and not even have to worry about it? On the PC release, it became more noticeable but really wasn't an issue. There are also rings you can equip that basically make most weapons indestructible at that point if it really bothers you.

Weapons got close, especially relic weapons with special R2s. Durability worked rather well on them: you can't spam the Moonlight Greatsword's beam of light, and that weapon did need repair powder just for regular areas on PS3. It also played a role with areas and effects that cause degradation, so there really were parts where durability was a factor in a way that made sense. That does not appear to be the case for what PC users got used to, though: they got really used to a system on steroids that makes the experience more tedious, if anything.

Now, every weapon has a kind of paper mache level of consistency, as the renamed title of the thread kind of suggests. I do hope From patches this, or we get confirmation that 30fps negates the problems. I do want the game, but I do not want to play it with this system, as I find it more of a problem than anything else. 30fps was the workaround last time around, so I would imagine it can be so again.

As an aside, there's already a controller fix for the game to improve gamepad support. Has this been an issue for anybody here? :p

Been waiting for that patch since the PC version first hit. The durability bug drives me nuts.

...Somehow I don't think it's coming.

I dont think they're going to change it, either. I mean if they wanted and intended to, i would think they'd have done it already.

It's been a year.

Gbraga

explain why? - edit: not trying to be like SOURCE?! just wondering why you'd prefer one over the other.

The new item placement is kinda fun, rediscovering everything and all that, but every change of enemy placement and the new enemy aggro range was for the worse, imo.

The game also not only isn't a notable upgrade, but looks worse.

Fuck that bloom.

Swuabino

This has been pretty fun so far, but what the hell did they do to Iron Keep? They somehow managed to make the most poorly designed area of the game even worse.

I've definitely seen a few cases of lazy artificial challenge throughout the rerelease, but the
five hundred infinite-aggro-range Alonne Knights and Archers definitely take the cake. I think it took me 30 tries to even reach Smelter Demon, and I used to be able to make that run in my sleep. If Amana got the same treatment, I think DkS2 and I are done speaking.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I had an hour to play Dark Souls 2 today, and having never played the game before, I spent 50 minutes on the character creation menu.

wrpOPJv.jpg

Worth it.

I have to say, the graphics look amazing so far. The lighting is great and the textures, for the most part, are crisp.

Also I died to the first hippo guy you come across within 2 minutes of booting the game up. Good stuff.

Navy Bean

Finishing Bloodborne made me realize how much I liked DS2 (even if it was my least favorite of the Souls' games). Looking forward to joining a covenant and taking down bosses...

duck_sauce

I reallycant decide between a Dex, Faith or Int build. Im not really sure how viable, or fun to play they are. Any thoughts from Gaf?

What is a fun build for DS2?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I must be one of the few people on gaf that doesn't spend any time in a Souls game character creator :/

I'm never not going to use a helmet do I don't see the point. For me of course, to each it's own.

I must be one of the few people on gaf that doesn't spend any time in a Souls game character creator :/

I'm never not going to use a helmet do I don't see the point. For me of course, to each it's own.
Same here. At most I just go through whichever hair and color options I like, but don't touch any of the sliders.

Bl@de

I had an hour to play Dark Souls 2 today, and having never played the game before, I spent 50 minutes on the character creation menu.

Worth it.

This time I took my time to and didn't make some kind of hideous freak^^ Even if it is an hideous freak 99% of the time anyway because you're a ghoul.

2015-04-02_00011rjk1x.jpg

Not really, because I was always in the "game's change during development" camp and thought the whole #youlied stuff was utterly ridiculous. But like I said, let's not drudge that back up :/

I thought it was pretty lame because the game initially looked way better graphically (lighting, more environmental detail). But you know... it didn't stop me from buying and enjoying the game.

I'm trying to decide if I will get this on PC or PS4. I'll probably go PS4 for convenience.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It did. I would guess either you're misremembering or the new brightness levels are just making it a more obvious effect now.
They intensified the effect to create some truly dark rooms, so you're right, even Dark Souls 1 did it. Very noticable when entering Blighttown

i always spend about 10 minutes. not more. i think Dragon's Dogma was an exception.

I'm a big fan of the changes so far. The enemy placement feels very logical and environments feel really well paced. I'm only a few hours in but I'm already having a ton of fun.

I feel like I had a really hard time on the Pursuer, more so than usual. Died about 4-5 times. I do think that's a really fun fight though. The thought of facing him a few more times actually is pretty exciting to me as I get better geared to deal with him.

Rizzi

There's a
petrified statue
in the tutorial now? How early do you find a
fragrant branch of yore
now?

There are two things this new version is supposed to have that it doesn't seem to be confirmed in the comments here.

One is that there should be new weapon types and armors scattered around. Not just the DLCs stuff, but entirely new. Is this true or not?

And the other is that with the enemy placements there should also be changes to the areas. They said new shortcuts and all that. So?

I'm also wondering about graphics. I remember at the original release there was lots of arguing about one of the enemies that was really shiny on the trailers, but lost the effect in the actual game and only showed it when walking on some broken pillar.

What happened since then? Are the armor shaders working now? Any changes on those shaders with the move to DX11?

Top Bottom