• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I never had any problem with weapons beaking in vanilla DS2 on PC (aka at 60) so.../shrug?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So basically team PC got used to the lowered durability and a few console players are finding it hard to adjust? If so I have nothing to worry about personally seeing as I had weapons break on me a grand total of 6 times in vanilla on PC. Good to know.

ship it

So basically team PC got used to the lowered durability and a few console players are finding it hard to adjust? If so I have nothing to worry about personally seeing as I had weapons break on me a grand total of 6 times in vanilla on PC. Good to know.

nice stealth brag?

Point is, it's not intended. There is no reason not to fix it by adjusting durability values on weapons. It's an easy fix.

baphomet

My local game store had the console version out for sale today. Not my type of game, but if anyone in Denver is looking for it pm me.

Point is, it's not intended. There is no reason not to fix it by adjusting durability values on weapons. It's an easy fix.

Doesn't this bug punish people who want to play the game at max settings and get the most out of their PC? Think I read something about weapons degrading faster when you ran the game at 60fps back when it intiailly came out for PC. If so, that shit shouldn't fly. Or is this just a general downgrade in weapon durability across the board regardless of what framerate you run this game at now?

Sorry if its already been mentioned, but can anyone confirm the Xbox 360/PS3 versions have the DLC actually on disc - not like, a one-time code thing.

Just checking before I hit BUY!

Im seconding this, can anyone confirm if DLC is on disc or is it a code? Im inclined to assume everything is on the disc considering the game itself has been altered (enemy placement, etc.), but I'd like some assurance before I pull the trigger.

NBtoaster

It really isn't, because if you're not running at 60fps (like if your pc isn't good enough, or frequently the xbox version) you're getting too much durability.

Abylim

this durability complaint is getting out of hand to be honest...You have THREE weapons slots, use them. why play with one weapon all game? its like using the drake sword in ds1, such a bullshit weapon.

i have absolutley no issue carrying repair powder or even going back to repair my weapons. hell, ive gotten to the point where i broke all three swords and i had to go back. whats the issue again?

This isnt how any of the Souls game played, even Dark Souls 2.

Thats the issue.

If its as intended, why wasnt it in Bloodborne?

Someone posted earlier saying they could get to the second bonfire in the PC version without their weapon breaking. That person couldnt do it in this.

Having to level up 2 or more weapons at all times is ridiculous. Being punished for killing enemies is ridiculous.

Jesus Christ, I dont get how this is being defended, and how the people that are not ok with it are being attacked in here.

wickfut

Banned
Everytime you enter a new room, the brightness is adjusting. I dont think this happened in the original release?

yes it did.

It was weird on the original release as you could see into dark rooms from the outside and as you stepped inside the room went darker.

This time it's sort of the opposite, the room is dark and as you enter it it gets slightly brighter, simulating your eyes with dynamic HDR.

It'd be better if they just set the light levels correctly and didn't need some auto adjust lighting eye adaption thing.

alazz

Scholars is much better than vanilla.

My plan was to initially rush to the DLC areas, but I'm really enjoying the remixed world. I've only beaten the first few bosses but I think the enemy placement is in most cases fairer and more fun. It doesn't at all seem to be big gank mobs. They definitely upped the difficulty in a few areas of FotFG, like the crossbow room and the room after Pate, but it seems as if they've taken away a number of enemies, too. However, I love that they made Heide Knights more common. They're fun and tense as hell to duel, and way harder to endlessly parry and back stab than the Black Knights from DS1.

Any tips on fighting
Licia inside the Huntsman's Corpse/Heide switch room
with bad equipment? I equip 3 Broken Short Swords and spam them as much as possible, but all it takes is one heal to undo 5 minutes worth of damage.

Neoweee

Well, even on a computer lower than the minimum requirements, the performance is much better than the PS3 version. 60fps when out of combat, but dips when fighting multiple enemies. Low settings, but I'm ordering a new computer soon.

It's an easy fix, but not the one you suggest. It isn't a raw factor of two to net durability because under "regular" circumstances 30 fps behaves the exact same way as 60 fps.

The real solution is to adjust the durability penalty down when hitting a corpse or a wall down, not increasing the overall durability, because general durability loss is not the issue. That should still be any easy fix, but instead, over the last year, there have been a shitload of buffs to specific weapon durability, focused on the weapons that hit the ground/walls, but they did that rather than adjusting the raw durability for whatever reason.

EDIT: For those trying to figure out how much durability loss you are taking or how long a weapon will last, it is ~1 durability per hit against an enemy, and ~2 per hit to a corpse a wall. You don't get a bonus for hitting a weakness other than the enemy dying in fewer hits. Hitting a corpse and a wall in the same swing is fucking devastating.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
yes it did.

It was weird on the original release as you could see into dark rooms from the outside and as you stepped inside the room went darker.

This time it's sort of the opposite, the room is dark and as you enter it it gets slightly brighter, simulating your eyes with dynamic HDR.

It'd be better if they just set the light levels correctly and didn't need some auto adjust lighting eye adaption thing.

I thought the new effect looks pretty good. A lot of games use HDR to take the effect of your eyes adjusting into account. For all that people demand exacting realism in their lighting and such, it's an improvement.

L.O.R.D

this is DX 11 ?

8A881394F7A301406AF1C8AE79466612FAEAAC91

08ACA58B1F26B7597E3A879F18B5CDA00C8F5179
where is the shadows here ?
i really can't find the difference in the graphics

also , inside the ship
http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/39745478548597800/2D10B9F4A783A2487EEA77F4D93B359DBF5FA7D5/

the water level goes up ???

also , i found a corp that can run from me very fast

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Having to level up 2 or more weapons at all times is ridiculous. Being punished for killing enemies is ridiculous.

You should have multiple weapons anyway, for enemies that have different weaknesses.

It really isn't, because if you're not running at 60fps (like if your pc isn't good enough, or frequently the xbox version) you're getting too much durability.

Were the last gen console releases getting too much durability? If From adjusted durability values for weapons down in the last gen versions to match what was happening on PC then it was intended. I'm pretty sure they didnt.

Did from also intend for running speed and jumping distance to be affected by playing Dark Souls 1 at 60 fps? It's not intended. It's an issue for many games that tie physics to framerate. This has long been a problem for PC gaming and it is never intended.

It's an easy fix, but not the one you suggest. It isn't a raw factor of two to net durability because under "regular" circumstances 30 fps behaves the exact same way as 60 fps.

The real solution is to adjust the durability penalty down when hitting a corpse or a wall down, not increasing the overall durability, because general durability loss is not the issue. That should still be any easy fix, but instead, over the last year, there have been a shitload of buffs to specific weapon durability, focused on the weapons that hit the ground/walls, but they did that rather than adjusting the raw durability for whatever reason.

You're right. Dont know why I didnt think about it that way. But I would guess that fixing the real issue is impossible due to the engine.

Mogwai

yes it did.

Seems like I've forgotten plenty of things about the game already :O

I really like the lighting in rooms lit by sconces. The fiery glow and shadows look pretty damn good on the PS4. I'm excited to see the infamous hallway leading up to the
Mirror Knight

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Durability aside, it never personally occurred to me to try and go through the entire game without ever working on more than one weapon. There's way too many enemy types, elemental weaknesses, and upgrade paths.

I mean, if you do it for the personal challenge, sure. But saying it's somehow inherently unreasonable to have to manage, customize, or reinforce more than one weapon seems strange. The game is not designed that way, and acquiring materials for medium level upgrades isn't that hard.

Carlius

Banned
This isnt how any of the Souls game played, even Dark Souls 2.

Thats the issue.

If its as intended, why wasnt it in Bloodborne?

Someone posted earlier saying they could get to the second bonfire in the PC version without their weapon breaking. That person couldnt do it in this.

Jesus Christ, I dont get how this is being defended, and how the people that are not ok with it are being attacked in here.

thats just not true honestly. I got to the the third bonfire without my wapon breaking..cause i used more than one you know...not being punished for killing enemies is dumb as well. playing the game with ONE weapon is even dumber. maybe its all subjective, the FACT is, thats its in the game, its part of the game and ocmplaining about it is not gonna do anything. might as well just play the game, and lets be honest, BB is a tad more casual than dark souls. also, the people defending it are getting attacked as well, dont try to make this a one way argument when it obviously isnt.

Neoweee

If you try to play this like Dark Souls 1, you will have a really, really bad time. You will need to adjust your rolls. You will need to adjust how you judge armor. You will need to adjust how much you value poise. And you will need to re-consider using more than weapon. The per-fire durability system, even without the bug, was added to encourage using multiple weapons, so you couldn't just rely on a single powerful weapon the entire game like you could in Dark Souls 1.

Were the last gen console releases getting too much durability? If From adjusted durability values for weapons down in the last gen versions to match what was happening on PC then it was intended. I'm pretty sure they didnt.

Did from also intend for running speed and jumping distance to be affected by playing Dark Souls 1 at 60 fps? It's not intended. It's an issue for many games that tie physics to framerate. This has long been a problem for PC gaming and it is never intended.

You're right. Dont know why I didnt think about it that way. But I would guess that fixing the real issue is impossible due to the engine.

Somewhere in the code, there is a coefficient that they could tweak. I don't believe for a second that anything is an innate aspect of the game engine.

Akai XIII

I had the + durability ring on:
0.5 lost on a wall
3 lost on a corpse

Broadsword

Checking during battle is a little harder. Guess you could count your hits and divide the loss by that...

I've played the PS3, 360 AND PC versions. this seems worse than all of them. The durability does drop quicker than the other versions. It's annoying, especially in the early stages where you can only upgrade one weapon. If the repair powder was cheaper and unlimited stock then this wouldn't be a massive issue.

It's worth having a back up weapon - clear the trash with your weaker weapon and save the other for the boss/harder enemies.

Abylim

You should have multiple weapons anyway, for enemies that have different weaknesses.

I am gud, bro. Just come of platt'ing Bloodborne, have done so for every Souls game.

Got through the Defiled Chalice, which halves your hp for the dungeon.

Someone who needs to "git gud" wouldnt be able to get through that.

In Dark Souls 2, SotFS I just took out Pursuer on the platform in FotFG. and
again in Lost Bastille when he ambushed me for opening a chest.

This isnt about "git gud", this is about adapingt to annoying, unfun mechanic that requires me to put more into a stat to carry more, or switch weapons in my inventory, or waste souls on repair powders.

No thanks. Didnt do it in the first version, or any other souls game.

def sim

I think bugs should be fixed. Being fine with the durability is a different conversation.

Durability is a dumb stat anyway, should just remove it completely, that would be the best fix.

I suppose this would be the best case scenario. Fixing the bug would trivialize it completely, anyhow.

Ayt

Banned
Something as simple as a durability bug still not being fixed makes me wonder if they will ever be able or willing to fix something more complicated as the loading in Bloodborne.

It is almost like they intend it to be that way.

Vitor711

re-asking- is the durability bug on ps4 too?

Yes.

More important question: does it matter? No.

If the decay happens at the same rate as the original PC release, then it's not a problem. At all. People are complaining about something that only presents itself as an issue if you don't rest at every bonfire/hit walls constantly while fighting enemies. Nearly all weapons have a thrust move. Use it when fighting in tight corridors.

EDIT: I bet the actual 30FPS durability was the real bug and this 60FPS version is it working as intended. Why? Because you NEVER had a weapon break, or even come close to breaking on PS3 or 360. Why have a mechanic in the game and not even have to worry about it? On the PC release, it became more noticeable but really wasn't an issue. There are also rings you can equip that basically make most weapons indestructible at that point if it really bothers you.

Abylim

thats just not true honestly. I got to the the third bonfire without my wapon breaking..cause i used more than one you know...not being punished for killing enemies is dumb as well. playing the game with ONE weapon is even dumber. maybe its all subjective, the FACT is, thats its in the game, its part of the game and ocmplaining about it is not gonna do anything. might as well just play the game, and lets be honest, BB is a tad more casual than dark souls. also, the people defending it are getting attacked as well, dont try to make this a one way argument when it obviously isnt.

And yet, you are the one throwing around words like dumb, and dumber (lol)

No, the ones being attacked are pretty much the peeps defending this.

You honestly think its bad to not be punished for killing enemies??! So, you are winning, by taking out hordes of monsters, but thats negative, and deserving of punishment?

Ridiculous.

Do you actually think this is some sort of game breaking bug?

Haven't you wondered how people have been happily beating the game and PVPing on PC for nearly a year?

lol, not really, considering I was one of the people doing it. Vanilla DS2 on PC is great. It was hard coming back from 60fps to BB.

It's when people start suggesting that maybe it's intentional, or From prefers it this way, that I start scratching my head. It's the unwillingness of some people to even admit it's a problem in the remotest that I find absurd.

When the tone is "Okay, we have an issue here, but here's how to work around it", I'm good. When the tone is "I can't believe you people are actually having a problem with this, you must be crazy", it reeks of blind apologetics. You can recognize that a game is flawed without admitting it's awful, you know.

zma1013

Even in Dark Souls 2 for PS3 durability was something that you actually had to account for. Weapons wore down and broke quite quickly in it to the point where I'd make sure I always carried backup weapons and repair powder.

Is the bonfire repair box still a thing in this game like the first Souls game? That may go some way to tolerate the stupid bug. Copy is on the way through Amazon now, kinda glad I only paid £19 for this game now.

What's a good Dex weapon to get early on in the game? Going through Heide's Tower Of Flame currently. Will do the forest of fallen giants later.

Last I played through this I did a strength build with that ridiculous longsword. Want to try something a bit different this time.

Is the bonfire repair box still a thing in this game like the first Souls game? That may go some way to tolerate the stupid bug. Copy is on the way through Amazon now, kinda glad I only paid £19 for this game now.

Weapons repair themselves automatically at bonfires anyway, so you won't need one.

What's a good Dex weapon to get early on in the game? Going through Heide's Tower Of Flame currently. Will do the forest of fallen giants later.

Last I played through this I did a strength build with that ridiculous longsword. Want to try something a bit different this time.

Pick up a falchion.

zma1013

Your weapons are automatically repaired anytime you rest at a bonfire, of which there are many quite frequently. However, if your weapon breaks 100% completely, then you must visit the blacksmith to repair it. I don't remember if the repair powder can fix a 100% broken weapon.

dissa9

Neo Member
well i think i am going to pass until its cheap. This durability "feature" is not appealing to me.

It's really not that bad, you certainly need to be aware of it there is no doubt but I've yet to beat the first boss and have a shortsword, dagger, axe, club, halberd and bastard sword already.

While I don't have the stats to use two of those weapons yet, variety is the spice of life, you'll be missing out, game looks and plays great.

If they still act like they do in DS1, then rapier's are great fun. All about getting in that sheild parry on your enemy and returning massive damage. A great way to learn parrying and it's deadly against most humanoid enemies. Worth having one as a side weapon.

Vitor711

lol, not really, considering I was one of the people doing it. Vanilla DS2 on PC is great. It was hard coming back from 60fps to BB.

It's when people start suggesting that maybe it's intentional, or From prefers it this way, that I start scratching my head. It's the unwillingness of some people to even admit it's a problem in the remotest that I find absurd.

When the tone is "Okay, we have an issue here, but here's how to work around it", I'm good. When the tone is "I can't believe you people are actually having a problem with this, you must be crazy", it reeks of blind apologetics. You can recognize that a game is flawed without admitting it's awful, you know.

I will criticise every poor aspect of DkS2 and BB until the cows come home. The fact is, this durability 'bug' barely affects the game. It just gives you one more thing to consider, isn't game breaking, and frankly no-one even noticed it on PC until a long time after release.

I wouldn't be defending it as adamantly if wasn't seeing people actively giving up on the idea of buying the game because they think it sounds like an incredible chore. And the people complaining about it are blowing things well out of proportion.

Top Bottom