• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Ysiadmihi

Banned
lol, not really, considering I was one of the people doing it. Vanilla DS2 on PC is great. It was hard coming back from 60fps to BB.

It's when people start suggesting that maybe it's intentional, or From prefers it this way, that I start scratching my head. It's the unwillingness of some people to even admit it's a problem in the remotest that I find absurd.

When the tone is "Okay, we have an issue here, but here's how to work around it", I'm good. When the tone is "I can't believe you people are actually having a problem with this, you must be crazy", it reeks of blind apologetics. You can recognize that a game is flawed without admitting it's awful, you know.

I don't think the reaction would be so strong if those complaining weren't being so hyperbolic. Everyone understands it's a bug but they can still think people screaming "THIS IS UNPLAYABLE!" are nuts.

EDIT: I bet the actual 30FPS durability was the real bug and this 60FPS version is it working as intended. Why? Because you NEVER had a weapon break, or even come close to breaking on PS3 or 360. Why have a mechanic in the game and not even have to worry about it? On the PC release, it became more noticeable but really wasn't an issue. There are also rings you can equip that basically make most weapons indestructible at that point if it really bothers you.

Alright, regarding this. If you can explain to me why, exactly, corpses subtract twice the durability from your weapon as living targets (either through lore or design theory), I will accept your answer as true and shut up about it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think the reaction would be so strong if those complaining weren't being so hyperbolic. Everyone understands it's a bug but they can still think people screaming "THIS IS UNPLAYABLE!" are nuts.
I will criticise every poor aspect of DkS2 and BB until the cows come home. The fact is, this durability 'bug' barely affects the game. It just gives you one more thing to consider, isn't game breaking, and frankly no-one even noticed it on PC until a long time after release.

I wouldn't be defending it as adamantly if wasn't seeing people actively giving up on the idea of buying the game because they think it sounds like an incredible chore. And the people complaining about it are blowing things well out of proportion.
Yup. This. It's really a non-issue for me, after playing on console, I didn't even notice it. I used the occasional repair powder, usually later in the game where bonfires are more scarce, but that's it.

Alright, regarding this. If you can explain to me why, exactly, corpses subtract twice the durability from your weapon as living targets (either through lore or design theory), I will accept your answer as true and shut up about it.
It's obviously a bug, but you aren't meant to hit corpses anyway, but again, so what if it's a bug, it's not a game-breaking one? Again, most people wouldn't even notice it.

Personally the most annoying bug for me, that has been present since Demon's, is how ripostes often fail in staircases. It's still there in Bloodborne for crying out loud!

Uthred

I never had any problem with weapons beaking in vanilla DS2 on PC (aka at 60) so.../shrug?

Basically my response as well, durability was never an issue, they give you multiple weapon slots for a reason and even then you dont need to switch up that often. Without the "bug" durability would be entirely pointless, like it is in Bloodborne for example.

Hugstable

Banned
I played the vanilla game on PC and got to No Man's Wharf before I stopped and now I'm confused about all these durability issues I keep hearing. I always had 2 weapons with me, but they repair every bonfire and there are a fuckton of bonfires. I mean yeahs it's a dumb bug they need to fix, but those saying it makes the game unplayable are being a bit ridiculous.

Abylim

I will criticise every poor aspect of DkS2 and BB until the cows come home. The fact is, this durability 'bug' barely affects the game. It just gives you one more thing to consider, isn't game breaking, and frankly no-one even noticed it on PC until a long time after release.

I wouldn't be defending it as adamantly if wasn't seeing people actively giving up on the idea of buying the game because they think it sounds like an incredible chore. And the people complaining about it are blowing things well out of proportion.

I am not blowing anything out of proportion.

My weapon breaks on the way to a boss, from killing the guys along the way.

Someone earlier said I was spreading rumours, then made a video to prove me wrong, and he ended up not being able too, and admitted there was a problem with durability.

There is an issue with durability. Its fair that its shitty enough to turn people off buying the game. I'm still on the fence myself, I think I'm going to return it, and pick it up later.

Its insulting when people like you act like I am lying or misleading others. I am posting what I am because its what I am experiencing. Its shitty that I cant do that here without being told to git gud, or I'm a full of it.

I love Souls games. Massive fan of them. I know its hard, and challenging, and unforgiving. This isnt my first rodeo.

zma1013

Yup. This. It's really a non-issue for me, after playing on console, I didn't even notice it. I used the occasional repair powder, usually later in the game where bonfires are more scarce, but that's it.

It's obviously a bug, but you aren't meant to hit corpses anyway, but again, so what if it's a bug, it's not a game-breaking one? Again, most people wouldn't even notice it.

Personally the most annoying bug for me, that has been present since Demon's, is how ripostes often fail in staircases. It's still there in Bloodborne for crying out loud!

I dunno if that's a bug so much as they just didn't seem to design the combat system to work on severe inclines. That's why it's really easy to fight enemies on stairs because their swings never take into account an angle. My preferred method for fighting giant enemies because most of their swings go over my head and I hit their feet.

Not everyone.

It is almost like they intend it to be that way.
EDIT: I bet the actual 30FPS durability was the real bug and this 60FPS version is it working as intended.
Maybe From is happy with it as it is?
You were, as is he.
Never had a problem on PC at 60, it's easy to see who's on PS4 now though.

And that's just in this thread.

the durability bug happens when you hit a dead body ?

Yes. Weapons degrade twice as fast when contacting corpses as they fall to the ground, for reasons.

It's not even the bug, so much as the people who deny its existence (those people are objectively wrong) or those who say it's a feature (god i hope those people are wrong). So in otherwords, not you (since you clearly see it's an issue).

I intend to buy SotFS, which will be the third time I've bought the game. I'd tell anyone else to do the same. But I don't think skirting around this issue is really helping anyone. I don't think it's petty to hope that From eventually fixes it. A lot of people disagree with that, for whatever reason.

I played the vanilla game on PC and got to No Man's Wharf before I stopped and now I'm confused about all these durability issues I keep hearing. I always had 2 weapons with me, but they repair every bonfire and there are a fuckton of bonfires. I mean yeahs it's a dumb bug they need to fix, but those saying it makes the game unplayable are being a bit ridiculous.

Just doing a quick search through the thread, the only people mentioning "unplayable" are the people who are telling others to stop saying it. Which is...weird.

Same for me. I played for ~300 hours on PC and I had my weapon break maybe twice?

To create a disincentive people swinging at corpses or mashing attacks at enemies. To make durability be a resource that matters but rewarding good play by trivializing it.

That's a design theory. Might not be a great one, but there you have it :p

But seriously I have no horse in this race. I never personally experienced durability as a problem in DS2 but I'm not willing to completely dismiss those who are having problems with it. I feel like at the very least durability probably needs to be buffed on some early game items maybe?

Vitor711

I am not blowing anything out of proportion.

Someone earlier said I was spreading rumours, then made a video to prove me wrong, and he ended up not being able too, and admitted there was a problem with durability.

There is an issue with durability. Its fair that its shitty enough to turn people off buying the game. I'm still on the fence myself, I think I'm going to return it, and pick it up later.

Its insulting when people like you act like I am lying or misleading others. I am posting what I am because its what I am experiencing. Its shitty that I cant do that here without being told to git gud, or I'm a full of it.

I love Souls games. Massive fan of them. I know its hard, and challenging, and unforgiving. This isnt my first rodeo.

Use a second weapon. Sure, everyone has their favourite but if this is the game's attempt at forcing you to change up your playstyle, why is that so bad?

Also, according to another poster, you missed a bonfire on your boss run. If they were wrong about that, then fair enough. I still think that it's a minor issue though. It's not like DkS2 is short on loot drops, especially for weapons.

Uthred

Then use on of your other weapons? While its certainly a bug you're blowing it out of proportion and arguably trying to do it all with one weapon is playing the game "wrong"

But I don't think skirting around this issue is really helping anyone. I don't think it's petty to hope that From eventually fixes it. A lot of people disagree with that, for whatever reason.

Perhaps because while acknowleding its a bug they prefer the weight it gives to durability?
Just doing a quick search through the thread, the only people mentioning "unplayable" are the people who are telling others to stop saying it. Which is...weird.[/QUOTE]

Guess you missed some, just looking ath the last page. Which is...weird:

In the OP? You mean the original DS2 OT last year? I didn't go there much because I didn't play the game an awful lot. It is like this..... Demon's and Dark Souls are in my top 10 games ever and the durability thing was bad enough for me to stop playing the game.

Then use on of your other weapons? While its certainly a bug you're blowing it out of proportion and arguably trying to do it all with one weapon is playing the game "wrong"

Just doing a quick search through the thread, the only people mentioning "unplayable" are the people who are telling others to stop saying it. Which is...weird.

Did a keyword search for "unplayable" and reported my results.

Does "this was bad enough to make me stop playing" necessarily equal "unplayable"? You'd have to ask him. There's lots of reasons that would make someone stop playing a game like DS2. That doesn't necessarily mean someone's calling it "unplayable".

See, I'm seeing posts calling out hyperbole by calling the game "unplayable" resort to hyperbole themselves by putting hyperbolic words in people's mouths. This is dumb.

the durability bug happens when you hit a dead body ?

As I understand it, it happens all the time, hitting anything really. Hitting walls and especially dead bodies gives more drastic results, but the bug is there the whole time because of the doubled framerate (60 fps vs 30 fps), that's how I've always understood it anyway.

I don't really know how the damage system works in DS2, the very code I mean, but it looks something like the damage is calculated per frame, so 1 frame of the weapon hitting a living enemy, dying ragdoll enemy, dead body or a wall receives a set amount of calculated durability reduction, depending on various factors and modifiers for the weapon and the character stats. The devs have fine tuned these calculations to work as intended at 30 fps. The PC version works at 60 fps thus the number of frames a weapon travels through an object is doubled. This doesn't necessarily have to mean that the durability reduction is exactly doubled, but it's most definitely increased drastically.

They added the durability reduction when hitting ragdolls and dead bodies to penalize button mashing, forcing you to carefully execute every hit. As I understand it, the same thing happens on consoles (never played it on them) but the penalty isn't as drastic.

It's a similar issue (though inverted) to versus fighting games like SF4. Every move has a set number of frames and it's crucial that you perfectly time your moves to execute combos, at 60 fps. If your rig isn't good enough, the game will have frame drops and make executing combos much harder or impossible (I might be wrong on all of this).

In any case, it seems to me that From Software made DS2 with these frame calculations in mind at 30 fps, without any planning on making the game work at higher fps. And as to why they haven't just increased durability on all weapons (or reduced penalty for that matter) I don't know. Maybe there's all kinds of stuff happening in the code during the calculations that might screw up other things, or it's just too problematic to have two sets of balancing stats in their production pipeline, I don't really know.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Not everyone.

And that's just in this thread.

Only one of those quotes is suggesting this isn't a bug (and it seems like a joke at that).

We all understand it's a bug. Most people don't care and some of us like the unintentional results. If From felt it was a big deal and were unhappy with it, it would have been fixed on PC ages ago.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Anyone needs help somewhere? (PC) I'm pretty op now. Lemme know if you are having trouble finding summoning signs and I'll come running.

Zzzz another page another set of 20 durability posts. MY SANITY IS AT RISK!!!

Anyway the new coop limit is hilarious. For fun on the first boss I grabbed a few guys and it was just chaos really. Two people got stomped by the giant right at the start while another guy was running around like a headless chicken.

I'm not really sure what the point of raising it was, they added another invader slot right?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It isn't unplayable. It certainly was annoying enough to drive me to stop playing. One of the reasons, anyway

Zzzz another page another set of 20 durability posts. MY SANITY IS AT RISK!!!

Anyway the new coop limit is hilarious. For fun on the first boss I grabbed a few guys and it was just chaos really. Two people got stomped by the giant right at the start while another guy was running around like a headless chicken.

I'm not really sure what the point of raising it was, they added another invader slot right?

I've solo'd the bosses in DS2 enough. In SotFS I'm going to amass an army for every boss just because I can. It'll be sublime.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The loading times are crazy! If you're coming from the PS3/XBOX360 it's going to be a revelation.

You can like the durability thing or whatever but good lord, I killed the enemies from the creek bonfire at the Forest Of Fallen Giants, climbed the ladder, killed the enemies there, and now it's at risk of breaking lol.

I feel like I'm renting these weapons. Should have made this version Free to play, microtransactions for 5 more swings $1.99

I do like the change of enemies there that won't trigger unless you run around and get them all at once.

This has probably been asked and answered a million times, but I am REALLY REALLY enjoying Bloodborne. Should I get this?

I played the first Dark Souls, but I got distracted from it when the PS4 came out. I was enjoying it but not as much as Bloodborne.

This has probably been asked and answered a million times, but I am REALLY REALLY enjoying Bloodborne. Should I get this?

I played the first Dark Souls, but I got distracted from it when the PS4 came out. I was enjoying it but not as much as Bloodborne.

My advice would be to play Demon's/Dark Souls 1 first, then definitely come to this.

Depends on what you like about Bloodborne.

Finish Dark Souls 1. Then you should absolutely get this.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
My advice would be to play Demon's/Dark Souls 1 first, then definitely come to this.

I never understand this. These games in terms of how they play - while sharing the same DNA - are still so different than playing one out of order of the others isn't really a problem.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If Bloodborne had the reduced durability it would be hailed as a great feature

Dat Miyazaki tax :p

Depends on what you like about Bloodborne.

I just love the atmosphere and sense of mystery. I like feeling accomplished when I figure something out or kill a huge enemy. I like not knowing what the hell to do next. But Bloodborne is pretty linear. I'm guessing Souls is not?

Finish Dark Souls 1. Then you should absolutely get this.

Yeah, I do have the copy sitting on my shelf. I just don't like dusting off my PS3, and since I stopped in the middle, I'd have to start all the way over again. Not sure if I want to do that.

Plus: GRAFFIX

I never understand this. These games in terms of how they play - while sharing the same DNA - are still so different than playing one out of order of the others isn't really a problem.

Coming from Bloodborne, I feel like Demon's/Dark Souls 1 will be a bit easier to get into than dark Souls 2. dark Souls 2 feels really slow at the start because you have very little agility. In Demon's (and I THINK 1) your character moves a bit faster. That's my reasoning. They use like the same exact engine and stuff too for how your character moves and stuff. Dark Souls 2 uses a slightly different one so it will feel "off" compared to Dark/Demon's/BB until you get used to it.

Tarkus

Is the Drangleic Sword still worth it?
Good sword but upgrades with Twinkling Titanite, which is a pain in the ass to scrounge up early in the game... Hell, for all the game. The Claymore is much better and can be gotten early given that you can get a Fragrant Branch of Yore.

I mean if you're DEX focused, then maybe it's a better option.

Good sword but upgrades with Twinkling Titanite, which is a pain in the ass to scrounge up early in the game... Hell, for all the game. The Claymore is much better and can be gotten early given that you can get a Fragrant Branch of Yore.

Thanks, not played the game in a while. Do you select like 3 skills that you're going to level up?

Jin

Just wanted to add that I, too, am noticing my weapon durability goes down faster than the DX9 version. My broadsword got the "at risk" message before I reach the second bonfire in forest level. I haven't gotten far enough to test other weapons and I'm hoping it's just that sword. I didn't really mind this durability bug in DX9 version. I maybe used one or two repair powder throughout the whole game. But if the DX11 has it going down faster and I'm forced to use 2-3 weapons then it's just a pain in the ass that I can do without.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

How do I get the claymore earlier? That was my weapon of choice in vanilla

Abylim

Has it been nerfed in this version at all? I used it pretty much through my first playthrough last time, hits very hard.

King_Moc

Banned
Even with the last gen graphics, this looks pretty fucking spectacular in downsampled 4k at 60fps. And I was literally just playing BloodBorne. Shame I don't have access to all of the GeDoSaTo effects now though.

Rhaknar

Is dark souls 2 the one with the awesome looking fire sword from the Spider lady boss or was that dark souls 1? It's all a blur :(

Tarkus

Thanks, not played the game in a while. Do you select like 3 skills that you're going to level up?
If you're playing melee, then everything but ATN, INT, and FTH are important with VGR, END, STR and DEX needing the most attention. ADP is great too for i-frames, but you can get by if you're shield player early in the game.

Vitor711

Even with the last gen graphics, this looks pretty fucking spectacular in downsampled 4k at 60fps. And I was literally just playing BloodBorne. Shame I don't have access to all of the GeDoSaTo effects now though.

It's certainly got more visual variety than BB, even if the levels aren't anywhere near as intricately designed in that wonderful looping back in on themselves sort of way (barring the boss shortcuts).

And yeah, I loved the look of the game even on release. It's gorgeous on PC. Almost tempted to get the new release but I've played it to death already, DLC included...

Top Bottom