• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

HeelPower

i am dieing all the time in this game,not kidding it feels like 10 times harder,sometimes a huge amount of mobs come at me and there is nothing i can do about it

Draw enemies out with Arrows..They're a must in this game.

Otherwise huge enemy hordes will be alerted(DS2 has tons of these)

In fact its probably better to kill some of them with arrows than face them head on.

Is there any way to get Pursuer's
Sword AND Shield in a single playthrough? If I remember right it's one or the other in vanilla

Can you not just burn a thingy at a bonfire to turn the area to NG+ and get both?

Draw enemies out with Arrows..They're a must in this game.

Otherwise huge enemy hordes will be alerted(DS2 has tons of these)

In fact its probably better to kill some of them with arrows than face them head on.

IMO a weapon with a good dazing cleave like powerstanced falchions is invaluable.

WTF??

I think most Bloodborne bosses are tougher than Pursuer (single).

I'm actually totally with him. Or at least I died more to Pursuer (4 times) during my recent run than I died to any boss in Bloodborne (3 times for Cleric Beast and Chosen Reborn, every other boss was first or second try).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing with an X1 controller on the DX11 version, but I'm wondering if there is a way to remap the block/attack buttons to left/right trigger, and the power attacks to the bumpers? Using the bumpers for my regular attacks feels uncomfortable.

There is a menu for remapping keys but as far as I can tell it only lets you remap keyboard controls. Is there a mod that would let me remap the controller buttons?

Neoweee

What are some pretty good mage builds? I never played casters in any of the souls games before and want to try on for this playthrough. Any tips?

Magic Builds:
- Sorcerer (INT) can be its own thing. Make sure you upgrade your staves!
- Miracles (FAITH)are slightly supplemental. Fewer damage spells, (but pretty good), a bit more utility. Likely to be supplemented with physical attacks and a shield more than Sorc.
- Dark Magic (Min of INT and FAITH, so you need to level both). Powerful with the greatest stat commitment. The basic damage spell, Dark Orb, is easily the best of the low-tier damage spells.
- Pyromancy (Max of INT and FAITH, so it fits with either). Supplemental magic. Much shorter range, fewer casts, but can be powerful per hit.

Max HP matters for all builds, but Weight, AGI, and the physical damage stats will differ from build to build. Dark Souls 2 is the king of build variety, and hybrid builds.

Sorcerer is the one that lets you hit the ground running since it gives you a staff and and a spell with a lot of casts. I suggest doing the OTHER starting zone than Forest of the Fallen Giants first, as staying at range will really help kill guys that give a shitload of souls per kill.

You can equip duplicates of a spell to increase the # of casts you have. Sitting at any bonfire restores all of your magic to full, so it is like your version of weapon durability.

Dimmle

I'm playing with an X1 controller on the DX11 version, but I'm wondering if there is a way to remap the block/attack buttons to left/right trigger, and the power attacks to the bumpers? Using the bumpers for my regular attacks feels uncomfortable.

There is a menu for remapping keys but as far as I can tell it only lets you remap keyboard controls. Is there a mod that would let me remap the controller buttons?
I'd like to know this as well. Using a Wii U pro controller with a Mayflash adapter and the dual wield and item buttons are swapped.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yo fuck the new Heide's tower

these
knights
are a pain in the ass

also that
dragon

(I actually like the changes so far)

on the plus side, I've managed to get the parry timing pretty much down, which I somehow never managed the entire time I played DS2 vanilla

Adaren

Stamina mechanics are WAY different. Roll before you runout,as there is a penalty to regen for a moment when stamina hits zero.

If I remember correctly, DaS lets you go into "Stamina debt". So if you're at 60 Stamina, and a roll costs 100, rolling will put you at -40, which you'll have to regen. You won't be able to do any Stamina-costing actions until you regen up to 1 again.

That's just kind of the details of the mechanic, though. Stamina is certainly more important in DaS compared to BB, and managing it is a big part of the gameplay.

Cob32

So I'm thinking of trying a rapier build for my first character in this version.

Looking around I've got it down to 2 potential builds. Chaos rapier/Pyromancy or full dex and dual wield physical rapier.

Does anyone have experience with rapiers and can advise?

I wonder if they'll patch the durability on PS4/Xbone. I noticed it on my last PC playthough, it felt like all my weapons were at risk super fast. It's manageable, but you regularly find yourself getting to a boss and having your weapon run out of durability mid-fight, and if you don't have a backup weapon you're screwed. It seems like it would be an easy fix.

UberLevi

I tried to recreate my original character.

V7tHJPK.png

Something about the new visuals seems off. I feel like the contrast makes my character appear sickly.

HF2014

Hey, is this game out on ps4 yet? At walmart here in montreal, canada, i saw it on the shelf for sale , didnt bought it because i wanted to read the review, but came here and realise that the release date is april 7???

Did walmart made a mistake and put it too early?

Neoweee

I wonder if they'll patch the durability on PS4/Xbone. I noticed it on my last PC playthough, it felt like all my weapons were at risk super fast. It's manageable, but you regularly find yourself getting to a boss and having your weapon run out of durability mid-fight, and if you don't have a backup weapon you're screwed. It seems like it would be an easy fix.

Always have two weapons, or a weapon and magic, equipped. That was the point if durability, even in the old console versions.

Robot Pants

ITS THE WAY FROM INTENDED IT.
DONT QUESTION THEIR METHODS
THREE WEAPON SLOTS
GET GUD
etc

Still haven't run out of durability on any of my weapons yet in my current playthrough. I've just been using a handaxe and it hasn't ever gone below 1/3 of its durability between any of the bonfires killing every enemy between them.

DeaviL

Banned
THREE WEAPON SLOTS
GET GUD
etc

Are we really going to be salty about this?
I for one am really truly sorry that there are people who are fine with the durability as it is now.
How must we show repentance?

Neoweee

THREE WEAPON SLOTS
GET GUD
etc

Jesus fucking Christ dude. I want them to address it. There is no reason corpses should give extra durability loss. But don't pretend like it is some giant departure from the PS3 version. Even at 30 fps you needed more than a single weapon for damage.

Ohhhh yeah, sweet. I guess I never burned the NG+ item. Does the game stay NG+ or does it eventually return to normal difficulty?

Stays forever.

Furthermore IIRC if you go into NG+, that area is going to be set to NG++

I could be wrong on that but I feel like that's the case.

HarryKS

Dunno if this is your first Souls game but if so, patience, extreme caution and luring enemies into 1v1 situations is generally the best strategy.

Actually, playing Demon Souls allowed you to get into 1 on 1 situations easily. Bloodborne is different. Enemies swarm you. They attack as mobs.

gogosox82

It not going to be fixed. From the way I understand it, they have certain animations tied to framerate so it order to fix it, they would have to redo all the animations in the game and not tie them to framerate which probably isn't financially feasible. My suggestion, if your low on durability and you don't have repair powder, either switch to another weapon or just run past enemies to the next bonfire. I usually had to run past enemies to the next bonfire in the early game until I unlocked the ability to buy unlimitied repair powder.

Carlius

Banned
Jesus fucking Christ dude. I want them to address it. There is no reason corpses should give extra durability loss. But don't pretend like it is some giant departure from the PS3 version. Even at 30 fps you needed more than a single weapon for damage.

theyre not going to address it, seriously, deal with it. this argument is all this thread is about. use the three weapon slots and play thte game.

-Snooze-

Banned
Loved Dark Souls 1, was awful at it. Really enjoying Bloodborne so thought I'd dive into DS2... It's incredibly just how difficult it is in comparison to BB.

I had to summon two helpers just to beat some random giant stone dude at the very start, only to die and lose all 25k souls I had. Raged after that and plan to start again tonight.

I think I like it more than BB already though.

Neoweee

theyre not going to address it, seriously, deal with it. this argument is all this thread is about. use the three weapon slots and play thte game.

I know they won't change it, because they've said this was intended and have made balance changes around the issue. But I'm getting jumped on and ridiculed for suggesting people use two weapons, something that is the case for any version of the game.

Loved Dark Souls 1, was awful at it. Really enjoying Bloodborne so thought I'd dive into DS2... It's incredibly just how difficult it is in comparison to BB.

I had to summon two helpers just to beat some random giant stone dude at the very start, only to die and lose all 25k souls I had. Raged after that and plan to start again tonight.

I think I like it more than BB already though.

You can level up in Majula. This isn't BB, the level woman is there from the start. Also gives you the healing item.

Is the DLC balanced to be done as soon as you have access to it? I only ever played through them on my character that had done everything aside from entering NG+, and they were still fairly challenging then, so I imagine it'd be even more difficult entering immediately after gaining access to them.

So I sucked at Dark Souls 1 and couldn't get past the Bell Gargolye. I like the game though and want to try it out again, should I pick this one up for Xbox One?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Actually, playing Demon Souls allowed you to get into 1 on 1 situations easily. Bloodborne is different. Enemies swarm you. They attack as mobs.

actually you get more swarmed here now too. example:

remember the
gate that closes after Pate in Forest of Giants? now when the gate closes behind you, ALL the 6 mobs that were inside the corridor come rushing out to gank you

Kazuhira

Try to use pebbles to catch their attention and separate the enemy from the group, so you can kill them one by one.
You can do same in souls game with the bow/throwing knives.

Loved dark souls 1 but stopped playing 2 just after
entering a black and white area inside a tree I think and killing a giant
I spent too much time invading and got burnt out. How far into the game was I?

Neoweee

Yesterday i was very frustrated. Getting rekt left and right. Now i'm doing a little better. Still shieldless.

Even if your goal is to be shieldless, you can still keep a light shield with low rate suction on it.

One of the keys to the game is "think hybrid". You can dip your toes in other playstyles for some benefit without diving in.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Loved dark souls 1 but stopped playing 2 just after
entering a black and white area inside a tree I think and killing a giant
I spent too much time invading and got burnt out. How far into the game was I?

near the end

Top Bottom