• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

heringer

Got the vanilla version and installed GeDoSaTo (wow, big difference there).

Not quite feeling the game yet. I'm new to the Souls series, so maybe it will grow on me, we'll see.

Carlius

Banned
Got the vanilla version and installed GeDoSaTo (wow, big difference there).

Not quite feeling the game yet. I'm new to the Souls series, so maybe it will grow on me, we'll see.

give it some time man. you will after a little bit. just play it like its meant to be played, not rushing in and hacking everything.

HarryKS

Try to use pebbles to catch their attention and separate the enemy from the group, so you can kill them one by one.
You can do same in souls game with the bow/throwing knives.

I know that. I'm pretty good at Demon. They hide in Bloodborne. And they collaborate. Dogs+ villagers.

prudislav

It not going to be fixed. From the way I understand it, they have certain animations tied to framerate so it order to fix it, they would have to redo all the animations in the game and not tie them to framerate which probably isn't financially feasible. My suggestion, if your low on durability and you don't have repair powder, either switch to another weapon or just run past enemies to the next bonfire. I usually had to run past enemies to the next bonfire in the early game until I unlocked the ability to buy unlimitied repair powder.
seems like this guy fixed it on Steam DX9 version https://github.com/eur0pa/DS2Fix

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks. Been waiting for some good, high quality shot comparisons of other areas.

These are probably the first set of shots I can say that without a doubt look better than before. The new environmental detail is nice, but I think everything just stands out better in general. Looks good.

I tried to recreate my original character.

V7tHJPK.png

Something about the new visuals seems off. I feel like the contrast makes my character appear sickly.
And here is an example where I don't like the new brightness of the light sources. That's just way too much.

ghostjoke

Banned
This is my first time though DS2 (was waiting for a GOTY edition), em, does the game continue on this "trap" format. It feels like every area is just luring me in to screw me. DS1 one got that perfect level of difficulty vs forgiveness that kept you wanting to press on, rarely was there anything I felt I was unprepared for and only my lack of skill was to blame, but DS2 is making me want to drop it after 5 hours from frustration direct at it rather than myself, especially since the two bosses were piss easy and forgettable. Also, that 60fps:weapon degrading is pretty noticeable early on.

Basically does it get back on course or does it keep swaying from the original Dark Souls in weird mechanical ways? because this is not fun right now.

Dimmle

This is my first time though DS2 (was waiting for a GOTY edition), em, does the game continue on this "trap" format. It feels like every area is just luring me in to screw me. DS1 one got that perfect level of difficulty vs forgiveness that kept you wanting to press on, rarely was there anything I felt I was unprepared for and only my lack of skill was to blame, but DS2 is making me want to drop it after 5 hours from frustration direct at it rather than myself, especially since the two bosses were piss easy and forgettable. Also, that 60fps:weapon degrading is pretty noticeable early on.

Basically does it get back on course or does it keep swaying from the original Dark Souls in weird mechanical ways? because this is not fun right now.

There are a lot of ambushes but I wouldn't say it's any more or less than Dark Souls featured.

As for bosses, there's just a huge volume of them. It's a box of chocolates scenario. Some are lame and some are pretty great.

collige

Banned

The bosses get a lot better, especially in the DLCs. Nothing as good as Artorias, but way better than shit like The Last Giant. Unfortunately there are a few that are even worse than Bed of Chaos imo. The general design pattern stays the same, but some areas are a lot better than others as far as bs goes. Again, the DLC shine when compared to a lot of the base game.

This is my first time though DS2 (was waiting for a GOTY edition), em, does the game continue on this "trap" format. It feels like every area is just luring me in to screw me. DS1 one got that perfect level of difficulty vs forgiveness that kept you wanting to press on, rarely was there anything I felt I was unprepared for and only my lack of skill was to blame, but DS2 is making me want to drop it after 5 hours from frustration direct at it rather than myself

What kind of traps are you referring to? Do you feel like in any of these scenarios if you had been going through a bit slower and carefully would you have been able to survive them? I don't feel like DS2 has significantly more "trap" scenarios than DS1. It's just all about making it through the area slowly and analyzing the threats around you. Don't just run into any room without peeking around corners and looking up and down. Pay attention to blood stains and messages, they can be life savers.

RPGam3r

I'm playing with an X1 controller on the DX11 version, but I'm wondering if there is a way to remap the block/attack buttons to left/right trigger, and the power attacks to the bumpers? Using the bumpers for my regular attacks feels uncomfortable.

There is a menu for remapping keys but as far as I can tell it only lets you remap keyboard controls. Is there a mod that would let me remap the controller buttons?

I thought the X1 controller would problematic so I canceled my X1 preorder for PS4. Turns out my concern may have been accurate.

Victrix

*beard*
Does this game run pretty well?

I've got an older pc (i5, radeon 6850), and DS1 with dsfix runs beautifully at 1080@60, should I expect similar or worse performance in DS2?

ghostjoke

Banned
There are a lot of ambushes but I wouldn't say it's any more or less than Dark Souls featured.

As for bosses, there's just a huge volume of them. It's a box of chocolates scenario. Some are lame and some are pretty great.

It might just be the finite feeling of everything that makes them feel annoying this time around, but I remember in 1 there was a chance of turning it around if you were good enough; DS2 is more bang, you're dead. Well I blasted through the first 2 so hopefully the good ones are the challenging ones and the bad can fall by the wayside.

The bosses get a lot better, especially in the DLCs. Nothing as good as Artorias, but way better than shit like The Last Giant. Unfortunately there are a few that are even worse than Bed of Chaos imo. The general design pattern stays the same, but some areas are a lot better than others as far as bs goes. Again, the DLC shine when compared to a lot of the base game.

I've heard that about the DLC. Oh jeez The Last Giant, I thought I glitch'd him at first, although definitely better then Bed of Choas, barely counts as a boss. I'll hold out for a while longer and see. I just don't remember feeling his frustrated at 1 (which was my first souls games) when I was in the learn-to-get-good opening few hours.

What kind of traps are you referring to? Do you feel like in any of these scenarios if you had been going through a bit slower and carefully would you have been able to survive them? I don't feel like DS2 has significantly more "trap" scenarios than DS1. It's just all about making it through the area slowly and analyzing the threats around you. Don't just run into any room without peeking around corners and looking up and down. Pay attention to blood stains and messages, they can be life savers.

It's stuff like here's an archer at a place you're not going to be able to get to while the big tank enemy is still walking, so deal with it, or here's a large enemy with massive push back ability on a tiny island surrounded by water. I'm well aware of how to Dark Souls but in first one I remember if I got ambushed I could mostly savour something if I was good enough. Hellkite was the only thing I remember in Dark Souls been a complete WTF moment in terms of frustration, every other time I felt like I had failed. It makes pressing on unappealing at times and grinding out enemies tempting (but I hate grinding, never had to do it in 1).

I'll keep at it for a while, see if I'm just missing something. I heard there were enemy location changes in this version; I'm hoping that it's nothing to do with that. I really want to have another Dark Souls experience, that first one just ate my life for a month.

Dimmle

I'll keep at it for a while, see if I'm just missing something. I heard there were enemy location changes in this version; I'm hoping that it's nothing to do with that. I really want to have another Dark Souls experience, that first one just ate my life for a month.

Having played the original DS2, I can say that the enemy placement in this version is much meaner. It's sort of meant to shake veteran players who have memorized every area.

For example, in Forest of the Fallen Giants, there are many more "turtle knights" in conspicuous places. It's definitely more challenging than the original in that regard at least.

phoenixyz

That's exactly what I thought playing this. I was really excited for SotS because I loved Dark Souls and enjoyed Demon Souls and haven't played DS2 before. But game design wise this is worse in pretty much every regard compared to DS1. How the healing mechanics work, soul memory, weapon durability and especially level design. The really good people at From probably worked on Bloodborne and couldn't spend much time on DS2, let alone SotS.

Having played the original DS2, I can say that the enemy placement in this version is much meaner. It's sort of meant to shake veteran players who have memorized every area.
What a super great idea for a GOTY edition.

ghostjoke

Banned

For example, in Forest of the Fallen Giants, there are many more "turtle knights" in conspicuous places. It's definitely more challenging than the original in that regard at least.

Ah, thanks. Anyone know if there's a way to use original enemy layout without buying Dark Souls 2: non-Scholar edition? I don't so much mind having more, stronger enemies but if they're placed in ways to catch you out, not such a fan of.

Neoweee

Ah, thanks. Anyone know if there's a way to use original enemy layout without buying Dark Souls 2: non-Scholar edition? I don't so much mind having more stronger enemies but if they're placed in ways to catch you out, not such a fan of.

I recommend exploring if you ever feel stuck. The game is much less linear, and more rewarding of exploration, and makes it easier via fast travel.

My apologies if this has been hyperlinked already, but there's a PS4/DX11 comparison video right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwVWY2bdG_0

Wow very minimal differences. Only thing the PC has over the console versions is downsampling and closer to a locked 60fps (depending on hardware). I'll have to pick up the PS4 version next week as well. Quaddruple dip.... and I haven't even finished the game once. I have a problem someone halp pls.

usp84

The durability issue is a joke.I love this game and i played 300 hours on ps3 and i never had a weapon broken after killing a few enemies.

I hope a patch fixes this soon

def sim

Wow very minimal differences. Only thing the PC has over the console versions is downsampling and closer to a locked 60fps (depending on hardware). I'll have to pick up the PS4 version next week as well. Quaddruple dip.... and I haven't even finished the game once. I have a problem someone halp pls.

It's also cheaper on PC if you own the original already. It can't be said enough how easy it is to run this game.

ghostjoke

Banned
I recommend exploring if you ever feel stuck. The game is much less linear, and more rewarding of exploration, and makes it easier via fast travel.

The problem is that all three paths I've taken (giants, forest, city on water) have had similar level design/enemy set ups, and unlike in the original where I'd go "right, I'm not good enough for this area yet" and wander off somewhere else I just feel like this is going to continue to frustrate, and I want to drop it and go find someone with a PS4 and Bloodbourne.

gogosox82

seems like this guy fixed it on Steam DX9 version https://github.com/eur0pa/DS2Fix

I was talking more about why from won't fix it with a patch but this is interesting. Has anyone tried it seen if its made a difference?

Damn that is quite noticeable so maybe its worth it?

Does this game run pretty well?

I've got an older pc (i5, radeon 6850), and DS1 with dsfix runs beautifully at 1080@60, should I expect similar or worse performance in DS2?

This game could run on a toaster. I had amd 6300 3.5 ghz and a 750ti and it ran great, you should be ok.

cant that get u banned on steam though?

Not banned from steam but vac banned meaning you couldn't play online but technically GeDoSaTo could get you banned and I used it all the time (and still do) and never got banned. So I honestly wouldn't worry about it that much.

Tagyhag

It not going to be fixed. From the way I understand it, they have certain animations tied to framerate so it order to fix it, they would have to redo all the animations in the game and not tie them to framerate which probably isn't financially feasible.

Occam's Razor.

Double the durability of weapons.

Playing through with an INT build as I do on my second run of each of the souls games. I'm having a lot more fun not depending on a shield this time through.

What's a good weapon to aim for with a mage? I was thinking the moonlight great sword but I heard it was heavily nerfed. I'm also a little worried that I'll be screwed when it comes to the DLC. I haven't played through any of them but I also heard that the enemies are very resistant to magic.

Neoweee

The problem is that all three paths I've taken (giants, forest, city on water) have had similar level design/enemy set ups, and unlike in the original where I'd go "right, I'm not good enough for this area yet" and wander off somewhere else I just feel like this is going to continue to frustrate, and I want to drop it and go find someone with a PS4 and Bloodbourne.

There are many more paths by where you are in the game. Tons of stuff to do, and the primary gating is your skill and build rather than areas you can try but can't possibly win until later. The water city doesn't have any major additions in the way of its first two bonfires. The forest is a bit steeper in difficulty now, but an extra path is now open earlier.

Keep getting owned by the new invader in Huntsman's Copse. I think it's more to do with me just coming back from bloodborne and getting used to the slower Dark Souls movement again.

ghostjoke

Banned
There are many more paths by where you are in the game. Tons of stuff to do, and the primary gating is your skill and build rather than areas you can try but can't possibly win until later. The water city doesn't have any major additions in the way of its first two bonfires. The forest is a bit steeper in difficulty now, but an extra path is now open earlier.

But what I'm saying is is that the basic design choices (for whatever reason - I'm guessing Miyazaki not working on it has something to do with it because Bloodbourne doesn't have this issue) are based around unfairness and are everywhere, annoying to point of frustration at the game instead of the standard Dark Souls frustration at yourself for not being good enough. Basically summed up by something I'm talking to atm "Dark souls was a hard game. Dark souls 2 just puts you in unfair situations and calls itself a hard game" and he played vanilla version which is worrying to me.

And the forest was actually the least bullshitty place I've been to.

Having so much fun with my STR+DEX build, already have 10 hours.

Also, i never played the dlcs, only the original dark souls 2, can anyone tell me how (and where) to access the dlc areas?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so uh

Lucatiel is not in the second place she's supposed to be

Do I have to do something different to advance her storyline this time?

ship it

so I was able to run dark souls 2 at 60 fps no prob, but Scholar of the First sin is stuck hovering around 25-30? wtf?!?

I bought it to support From on PC even though it was mad overpriced. now I'm just pissed. I even put everything on low to see if something would make a difference.

Rolfgang

Was going in this game with a plan to only use a bow and miracles (Lightning Spear and the rest of Zeus' arsenal) and thinking I would race to the Last Giant. Boy, was I wrong! Those new enemy placements makes it feel like a totally different game, I have to watch every corner again, seeing if there is a new enemy waiting for me.

But ah well, still haven't died yet and only used the bow - well, alright, not exactly since I started as Cleric, but after opening Lenigrast's shop I've only used the bow.

so I was able to run dark souls 2 at 60 fps no prob, but Scholar of the First sin is stuck hovering around 25-30? wtf?!?

I bought it to support From on PC even though it was mad overpriced. now I'm just pissed. I even put everything on low to see if something would make a difference.

What are your specs?

Swuabino

I am going into this as a souls newb, having only ever played the first few hours of ds1, how should I level up my character?

For a first timer, I'd say a straight melee build is pretty viable for completing the game and majority of optional content. You can always respec later on if you need, say, magic to take down a particular boss.

If you do go melee, I'd recommend focusing on STR and DEX up to the point where you can wield whatever weapon you want to use. Then I would put points into VIG, END, and VIT to boost your HP, stamina, and equip load respectively.

It's a fairly controversial stat, but I like to put a good amount of points into ADP initially too. This increases the speed at which you use items and the number of iFrames when rolling. For a new player, this can make a huge difference. I'd work on boosting your ADP until you have at least 99 agility, possibly 105.

Oh man I can't believe they actually buffed the Chaos Blade. Increased the counter damage from 150 to 160 and it's still the strongest of the lot with S scaling.

Mogwai

This game keeps surprising me. I died several times on the
pursuer mobs
, but I went in and KO'ed the
Ruin Sentinels
with a 2h falcion in first attempt. Guess old muscle memory still remains to some extent :)

Top Bottom