• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Deku Tree

Will the official guide still be useful for this game on PS4 or did they change too much so that the guide is misleading? Is there a good online guide?

velociraptor

Is this a better game than the vanilla DS2? I have never played the original but I always prefer to play games in their "original form" - it's too bad there doesn't appear to be any option to do that in this remaster.

Am I better off sticking with DS2 or should I go for SOTFS?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is this a better game than the vanilla DS2? I have never played the original but I always prefer to play games in their "original form" - it's too bad there doesn't appear to be any option to do that in this remaster.

the new stuff Ive seen doesnt seem out of place, and actually adds to the lore (so far at least)

Neoweee

This is better, but a bit harder, but a bit more non-linear. Definitely the version to get. It is just a much more fuller world.

Just the amount of extra content you get with the added DLC makes Scholar of the First Sin superior-

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm curious regarding the DLC areas, any word on how they're integrated this time around? Still the serpent shrines?

Abylim

I say buy. The durability thing is a nuisance early on, but once you get a ring or two that helps, it becomes pretty trivial again.

This version is the definitive version. Its more open, and alive.

Shredderi

I might be way off with this, but I kinda wish to see something about Dark Souls 3 at this year's TGS or something. After bloodborne I really developed a hunger for these. Just started Dark Souls yesterday for the first time. Combined with From having to learn new hardware and doing this port they are propably not far enough in development to talk about DS3 this year though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lost bastille boss is those 3 cunts at the same time right? ugh

cleared forrest of giants, got mah house key, and another estus flash shard in the house woot woot. These Souls games man... even if you dont remember them, when you play them again, just like riding a bike huh?

well except the part where I die 20 times on the seocnd boss :p

Haven't played yet but this durability thing in the new game sounds horrible.

lost bastille boss is those 3 cunts at the same time right? ugh

cleared forrest of giants, got mah house key, and another estus flash shard in the house woot woot. These Souls games man... even if you dont remember them, when you play them again, just like riding a bike huh?

well except the part where I die 20 times on the seocnd boss :p

Yes at bastille.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Armorer Dennis.... any tips? =(

How are you dying to him? You can guard break him quite easily.

I fought him up on the platform where you loot the leather armor, and he did maybe two magic attacks and just strafed with his shield up.

Shredderi

Armorer Dennis.... any tips? =(

image.php

Randy42

Been playing some Scholar myself recently, I guess I can see why they got rid of shields in Bloodborne. They got a wee bit excessive in DS2, especially with this new one in Scholar http://i.imgur.com/qGxh9Zg.jpg

On a general note for gameplay tho, having done 4 or 5 areas now the only one I really don't like the changes to has been Lost Bastille
Four pursuer fights? Really? Was that necessary? Yes he's relatively easy but like four of them is taking it a bit too far.

I also don't like the changes to Belfry Luna, moving the Bastille Key has made it kind of pointless for any reason outside of Chunk grinding and allowing people to summon before they open the gate now is really lame (and they even gave a super tanky npc to do it with like come on)

How are you dying to him? You can guard break him quite easily.

I fought him up on the platform where you loot the leather armor, and he did maybe two magic attacks and just strafed with his shield up.

This is what I did too. Abuse the stairs to murder him.

@Hitbox discussion earlier this page I've noticed it too, hitboxes in scholar seem ridiculously weird compared to what I was used to from DX9 DS2. Like, I'm getting hit by attacks I'm sure I dodged and not getting hit by attacks I'm sure I got hit by. Its fucking ridiculous and annoying.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Wait so is this game a remastered version of DSII with the Scholar DLC or am I getting it wrong? I would love to play this after Bloodborne.

idonteven

how am i getting invaded ? im playing offline and sometimes some dude comes in and destroys me no matter what i try to kill him

Uthred

OH SHIT

I just got hit with that bullshit hitbox you guys keep showing in gifs haha. I dodged the blue sword curse thing, oh wait no I didnt, I teleport back to the stab animation... come on now From

I always find it vaguely amusing that people use this gif to complain about hitboxes, the problem isnt with hitboxes, the player gets hit. The problem is with canned animations.

I always find it vaguely amusing that people use this gif to complain about hitboxes, the problem isnt with hitboxes, the player gets hit. The problem is with canned animations.

That and it's mainly a problem of player hurtboxes, rather then enemy hitboxes.

Well he gets hit in the leg. How about still hurting the player but not getting him impaled on the sword.

I find it highly amusing that everytime that gif gets posted there are like 5 people defending it while everyone with some common sense would acknowledge that it's bullshit.

Is there anywhere further to go after Watchdog of the Old Lords, or am I done with this wing of the chalice dungeon? He drops the Central Pthumeru Chalice, so I figure I'm supposed to go use that now to move on, correct? Does every chalice dungeon include three bosses before you move on?

Wrong thread lol.

ironcreed

Banned
I was checking out some of the new gear from the DLC I missed on the Wiki and it's pretty nice. The game was already loaded, but I'm glad to be getting even more new stuff.

dugdug

Banned
Y'all pretending like that's a precise hit in that hitbox gif.

Come on, guys. Like, ok, sure, the sword kinda touches the inside of his right foot, but, the animation gliding to the right makes it pretty clear that it *wasn't* supposed to be a clean hit. Anyone would look at that gif, and, think the roll should have been a proper evade.

Orayn

Y'all pretending like that's a precise hit in that hitbox gif.

Come on, guys. Like, ok, sure, the sword kinda touches the inside of his right foot, but, the animation gliding to the right makes it pretty clear that it *wasn't* supposed to be a clean hit. Anyone would look at that gif, and, think the roll should have been a proper evade.

I think the biggest issue is that it's a grab (which are supposed to be more "sticky") that looks like a regular stabbing attack. It would be a lot less jarring if it didn't let the rest of the dodge animation play out.

Randy42

It really shows I'm sick at the moment...I believed you for a full 5 seconds while saying "whaaaaaa-" and then I understood..."oh."
I'm going back to bed after taking my medicine.
As long as I fooled one person for even one second then this screenshot was a success

why is dark souls 2 so damn ugly??

dark souls 1 and imo even demon's souls look so much better!
Dark 1 its debatable. Demon tho no way, its just DS2 has a couple odd textures that you're not expected to ever really super zoom in on (like a wall from that specific angle or a shield thats on one enemy you can't actually get)

DS1 on PC had fantastic textures/models and Demon Souls had a very bleak atmosphere. DS2 on PC for me was missing a bit of both. It's best areas had something to these effects I feel, such as Majula and Drangelic Castle (graphically speaking of course). Bleak atmosphere, the game did not have outside a couple of areas.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I realized yesterday after playing the game for a bit and taking a few screenshots that the game looks much worse in screenshots than it does in motion. I was actually pretty floored by Majula, but when I looked at the screenshot I took it looked downright boring. Not sure why that is.

Rhaknar

Stamina mechanics are WAY different. Roll before you runout,as there is a penalty to regen for a moment when stamina hits zero.

stamina is a lot worse (well not worse, but harder to manage), healing takes ages compared to BB, I also think its much harder than BB

Top Bottom