• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

PauliusM

Neo Member
Did they add more summons? The place where the ship is i was able to summon 2 npc and they helped clear the ship and the boss on easy, I dont rememeber them seeing in the normal dark souls 2.

Neoweee

stamina is a lot worse (well not worse, but harder to manage), healing takes ages compared to BB, I also think its much harder than BB

Yup. There are more defensive, evasive, and healing options, but each alone is worse. There's a lot to learn, and managing stat gain is non-trivial (most builds get like 5 stats rather than 2/3).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yup. There are more defensive, evasive, and healing options, but each alone is worse. There's a lot to learn, and managing stat gain is non-trivial (most builds get like 5 stats rather than 2/3).

yup. all the stuff that made BB more streamlined also made it easier (im not bashing it, actually I like those changes, but im not hardcore)

I'll probably get this on PS4 despite not liking DaS2 that much and still having a ton of fun with Bloodborne.
Is there anything I'm losing by not getting the DX11 version instead?

Dimmle

The new enemy placements are terrifying but I am not on board with the random statues blocking certain routes. I can't remember where the earliest Fragrant Branch of Yore is; anyone?

Dimmle

Melentia has one now :p

Oh. Well, thanks. That certainly helps.

Anyone have any tips for a pugilist run through DS2? I'm rocking dual caestus at the moment and it works fine for solo encounters but the Rat Vanguard is weirdly difficult. My usual tactic of butt punching isn't working b/c too many butts to punch

Nyeh, I played some of the original version downsampled and while pretty it's not a deciding factor to me. I meant if there are any effects straight up missing in the PS4 version compared to DX11.

No one has done a direct comparison yet. PEven if you do not find IQ important, the PC version will have a more stable framerate.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm having so much fucking trouble with the Tower of Flame, it's not even fun anymore. Anyone can say that the hitboxes are fine and it's all my fault, but I swear that those big knights with the giant swords are hitting me from a mile away.

What's a good upgrade to the Morningstar for a STR character that can be gotten early in the game? I've only killed the
Last Giant
so far, and I found myself unable to beat the
Pursuer
, so I went to Heide's Tower of Flame instead.

who takes on persuer from the front? like guaranteed fail

edit:it clearly hits him in this gif and if you cannot accept that I don't know what to tell you

I always took them from the front and it worked fine even for the double persuer, and I don't even parry.

And his while that technically hit it looks completely stupid, it's fine for damage but for grab animations where you get teleported it's dumb as all fuck and they should either stop implementing grabs or give them more leeway.

Cuz it just looks janky like this and does them no favors.

I'm glad they added more pursuers though, by far my favorite non boss enemies in DS2 outside of phantoms, can never have too many. Is there a triple pursuer fight now?

stamina is a lot worse (well not worse, but harder to manage), healing takes ages compared to BB, I also think its much harder than BB

I prefer the more methodical pace of dark souls over bb as well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yes, but the items required to enter are elsewhere in the world (in places that somewhat make sense).

Did they put them:
After each of the Great Soul bosses? Like The Rotten drops the item for Shulva, etc? Or is it a bit more intricate?

Anung

Un Rama
Even with the high frame rate after playing Bloodborne it feels like this is in slow motion. Going to take some time to adjust to.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's a bit more intricate.

I take back what I said about seeming reasonable. Kind of hidden.

Yeah I read about the Dragon Talon. Yikes, I dreaded going there to get the item that was previously there too :(. I imagine it's gonna be pitchblack there now as well :lol.

FROM you sadistic assholes

Neoweee

Yeah I read about the Dragon Talon. Yikes, I dreaded going there to get the item that was previously there too :(. I imagine it's gonna be pitchblack there now as well :lol.

FROM you sadistic assholes

The other two are pretty nice at least, and no further in the game.

O.DOGG

I played OG DS2 back when it came out, finished it, got bummed by the number of invaders and stopped playing after my first playthrough. This upgrade may be a reason to play again as I never played any of the DLCs but I think I'll wait for a sale.

Skatterd

Did they put them:
After each of the Great Soul bosses? Like The Rotten drops the item for Shulva, etc? Or is it a bit more intricate?

Spoilers for new item locations
Pit in Majula, Salamander Pit in FOFG and Castle Drangleic

Neoweee

starting to think going mage was a bad idea

No. No.

Unlock the blacksmith. Upgrades to staves boosts power and speed.

Also, keep a shield or sword equipped for emergencies. Casters are great, but being one will still require real combat at times.

Don't do Forest first as a caster, IMO. The other starting zone has a better risk/reward ratio for casters.

No. No.

Unlock the blacksmith. Upgrades to staves boosts power and speed.

Also, keep a shield or sword equipped for emergencies. Casters are great, but being one will still require real combat at times.

Don't do Forest first as a caster, IMO. The other starting zone has a better risk/reward ratio for casters.

What are some pretty good mage builds? I never played casters in any of the souls games before and want to try on for this playthrough. Any tips?

idonteven

keep running from clifs and all...think i lost like 50k souls just from that,hell i think i died only once from falling in bloodborne

Alebrije

keep running from clifs and all...think i lost like 50k souls just from that,hell i think i died only once from falling in bloodborne

Yep, the firsth time I felt in BB I thought "well I am going to die and lost my echoes" and surprisiling were still alive,time to remember that after all BB is not a souls game

Servbot24

Banned
Haven't gotten this yet, but yeah Souls in general is much harder than BB imo. BB was hard at first because I had to change my style, but now it feels pretty easy.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Has anyone found the new location for the bastille key? It's not past the gargs anymore.

EDIT: NM I found it.

idonteven

Haven't gotten this yet, but yeah Souls in general is much harder than BB imo. BB was hard at first because I had to change my style, but now it feels pretty easy.

i am dieing all the time in this game,not kidding it feels like 10 times harder,sometimes a huge amount of mobs come at me and there is nothing i can do about it

i am dieing all the time in this game,not kidding it feels like 10 times harder

I think it depends on what style of games you play. Some of my favorite games are the DMCs and Ninja Gaidens so BB was a little more up my alley since it's more responsive IMO. The Soul's games are slower and sometimes people like me get impatient you probably fall into the same boat as I do. Coming directly off BB is going to throw you off too since you're accustomed to that style of play.

I *really* want to pick this up, but a question to those of you who have taken the plunge thus far (if you picked up the DX11/64-bit version).

How do you find the co-op summons/being summoned? My big worry was that they split the playerbase. My favourite part of these games is the co-op portion. Not just for a boss I need to do, I would frequently spend a significant amount of time dropping my summon in front of bosses to help other people, this is a lot of fun. On vanilla it wasn't too bad, but I was worried that now I'll be waiting a much longer time to get a summon due to less number of players. Has anyone been taking a look at this side of the game?

Servbot24

Banned
i am dieing all the time in this game,not kidding it feels like 10 times harder,sometimes a huge amount of mobs come at me and there is nothing i can do about it

Dunno if this is your first Souls game but if so, patience, extreme caution and luring enemies into 1v1 situations is generally the best strategy.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Is there any way to get Pursuer's
Sword AND Shield in a single playthrough? If I remember right it's one or the other in vanilla

dan2026

Has there been any word on plans to port the first game?

Porting/remestering Dark Souls 2 seems weird. When it was the first game that was a technical mess.

Anyone else having trouble with the shortcuts at
the cardinal tower and the second blacksmith
? I've used a couple of my own firebombs and even kited the enemies to throw their own at the walls. For the latter,
the barrel that rolls down the stairs isn't even explosive for me, just a plain barrel :(. Maybe it was a temporary glitch or something
. It was so easy a long time ago lol.

Also, I died the
second time fighting the Pursuer
... I'm hoping he doesn't drop anything amazing on the casual encounters :(.

So, is it worthy?, i have the dx9 version, but no dlcs, but man, 30 bucks...

That's where I was at, but I went ahead and dove in. The dlc is still full-price for the whole thing at $25 so you're paying an extra $5 for slightly better graphics with dx11, new enemy placement, etc. Worth it so far IMO. For those who already have all the dlc though, it's a worse deal.

I *really* want to pick this up, but a question to those of you who have taken the plunge thus far (if you picked up the DX11/64-bit version).

How do you find the co-op summons/being summoned? My big worry was that they split the playerbase. My favourite part of these games is the co-op portion. Not just for a boss I need to do, I would frequently spend a significant amount of time dropping my summon in front of bosses to help other people, this is a lot of fun. On vanilla it wasn't too bad, but I was worried that now I'll be waiting a much longer time to get a summon due to less number of players. Has anyone been taking a look at this side of the game?

Well according to Steam Stats Scholar of the First Sin has had either the same or more players than Dark Souls II, so if that's anything to go off of you shouldn't have any issues with player numbers. As long as you're fine with working around the Soul Memory vs. Soul Level mechanic you should be fine.

So, is it worthy?, i have the dx9 version, but no dlcs, but man, 30 bucks...

If it's $30 then I assume you don't have the DLC, so it is definitely worth it. Really the only big issue I've seen so far is people who have already purchased the season pass are getting a pretty bad price point ($20) versus those that didn't.

Mogwai

Anyone else having trouble with the shortcuts at
the cardinal tower and the second blacksmith
? I've used a couple of my own firebombs and even kited the enemies to throw their own at the walls. For the latter,
the barrel that rolls down the stairs isn't even explosive for me, just a plain barrel :(
. It was so easy a long time ago lol.
Maybe you actually need a key for the shop now?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Wow, the added stuff in Earthern Peak makes it look really nice, the hazy colour grading in Harvest look really nice too. Gotta love the abundant blood stains from people who got too greedy trying to reach the items too :lol

The added lighting looks especially good, gives some much needed depth to the textures, unless they added that as well.

Top Bottom