• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

The durability thing has been making me think about play styles. I've read people in this thread say they haven't had an issue with weapons that always give me trouble. Like katanas, rapiers, and some of the great hammers for example. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I two hand most of my weapons and maybe the others who didn't have a problem do not? I recently started a new character and my estoc couldn't even make though No Man's before it was ready to break and I had to switch to the hand axe but I usually two hand my weapons so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. It would explain why others on the pc have no issue and I can barely get through an area like No man's (which doesn't even have that many enemies honestly) without having to change my weapon out.

now Imagine someone trying to dual wield in these areas. This is my 3rd dsII character and I wanted to try one of the more interesting additions to the game, but it's impossible. These *nice lovely people* telling me to carry extra weapons....guess what I am carrying and upgrading 6 weapons total and still having trouble getting through from 1 bonfire to the next in certain situations or certain areas. Tell me please, tell me again that is working as intended.

addyb

Yeah if you kill him there then you won't face him in his "proper" boss arena. It's past the proper boss arena where you will find the armor.

You might be thinking of a small room that has 4 ballistas pointing towards the main entrance. That's not the boss arena I'm talking about. You get to the boss arena by unlocking a door in the room that has
a giant sword sticking out the side of the wall that you can run up.

Ok mate I will have another look thanks :)

def sim

The durability thing has been making me think about play styles. I've read people in this thread say they haven't had an issue with weapons that always give me trouble. Like katanas, rapiers, and some of the great hammers for example. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I two hand most of my weapons and maybe the others who didn't have a problem do not? I recently started a new character and my estoc couldn't even make though No Man's before it was ready to break and I had to switch to the hand axe but I usually two hand my weapons so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. It would explain why others on the pc have no issue and I can barely get through an area like No man's (which doesn't even have that many enemies honestly) without having to change my weapon out.

I double hand weapons as well and it hasn't been a problem for me. Carrying multiple weapons is a must, absolutely, though a scenario where I'm left with no viable weapons has never been a thing to worry about.

Carlius

Banned
Again, you are making exuses for the issue. Why are people being such apologists?? I'm just not really in the mood to hear 'get better, adapt your playstyle, it's not a problem' apologist bullshit nonsense when it comes to this issue. how about instead of blaming the player, we all agree it is a bug that needs fixing. Why is this so hard for some of you obnoxious fucks?

and we are not in the mood to hear about the durability issue over and over in the thread. how bout you get over it and just play the game? its really not that hard. if you cant play the game because of it, then thats fine, but to come here and constantly whine about it isnt going to do you any good.

either way am done with the issue. i dont have any issues regarding durability, so go insult someone else.

gogosox82

I double hand weapons as well and it hasn't been a problem for me. Carrying multiple weapons is a must, absolutely, though a scenario where I'm left with no viable weapons has never been a thing to worry about.

Well I do have back ups like the hand axe but I only want to use when I feel its a better option than the estoc, not because my estoc is breaking and if I swing one more time, the damn thing will break. I do tell new players to upgrade a few weapons just in case since that's what I do and some weapons are better in certain situations than others but I wanted to focus on playstyles and if this issue will effect certain playstyles. I think it does but probably not for the reasons from intended. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of weapons do or did you use and are you a more aggressive player or are you more passive?

now Imagine someone trying to dual wield in these areas. This is my 3rd dsII character and I wanted to try one of the more interesting additions to the game, but it's impossible. These *nice lovely people* telling me to carry extra weapons....guess what I am carrying and upgrading 6 weapons total and still having trouble getting through from 1 bonfire to the next in certain situations or certain areas. Tell me please, tell me again that is working as intended.

Well yes, like I say above this will effect the way you play but I have a feeling not in the way From intended. I think they will address it in the same way they addressed the SM issue which is to buff the durability of certain weapons which, just like SM, just puts a band aid on the problem but doesn't really address it and could potentially create new unintended problems.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Or the game is designed to work correctly at 60 FPS.

I don't know how you can say that with a straight face when your weapon can go from "fine" to "at risk!" to "broken!" in the same swing at 60 FPS (when hitting corpses). You think that sort of behavior was intended by From? It's absurd.

Meneses

Or the game is designed to work correctly at 60 FPS. At 30 FPS, weapons break only half as fast as intended, rendering the mechanic mostly useless.

I played it at 30fps when it came out and the durability management was noticeable (especially compared to DS1) and definitely not useless. It was a fair game mechanic.

I always had 3 upgraded weapons ready to use (one of them being the main one, at a higher level than the others). I would sometimes get Risk warnings when I over-relied on one of them, so it seemed to be working fine.

The 60fps version feels indeed worse and, in my opinion, doesn't seem like something that was intended. If it was, I think it is bad design.

Lanrutcon

Or the game is designed to work correctly at 60 FPS. At 30 FPS, weapons break only half as fast as intended, rendering the mechanic mostly useless.

Yes, the fact that the weapon degeneration speed is framerate dependent is a bug and needs fixing.

Fixing so that it always works as it does for 60 FPS :p

Pretty sure you're just baiting people right now, which is poor form.

Regarding the permanently aggroed Heide Knights...according to forum posts I saw elsewhere, supposedly they all become aggroed after
you defeat the Dragonrider

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know how you can say that with a straight face when your weapon can go from "fine" to "at risk!" to "broken!" in the same swing at 60 FPS (when hitting corpses). You think that sort of behavior was intended by From? It's absurd.
Don't hit corpses.

def sim

Well I do have back ups like the hand axe but I only want to use when I feel its a better option than the estoc, not because my estoc is breaking and if I swing one more time, the damn thing will break. I do tell new players to upgrade a few weapons just in case since that's what I do and some weapons are better in certain situations than others but I wanted to focus on playstyles and if this issue will effect certain playstyles. I think it does but probably not for the reasons from intended. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of weapons do or did you use and are you a more aggressive player or are you more passive?

I'm using a mace +6, craftsman's hammer, and a large club +6 in my current play through. I brought ADP up considerably and only have the bare minimum strength to hold onto the club two handed. Aggressive.

The first two are exclusively for regular enemies and the club is for everything, depending on how close I am to a bonfire.

Durante

Pretty sure you're just baiting people right now, which is poor form.
What are you even talking about? I simply disagree. I have been disagreeing since back when it was only the PC version running at 60 FPS, and people thought I was crazy. Now we have 4 out of 6 versions of the game displaying the same behavior.

If From will pass this as a "feature", it's only because they can't find a way to fix this bug, since it's related to 60 fps.
It could be somewhat difficult to make it framerate independent depending on how it was implemented, but merely making it work at 60 FPS the way it works at 30 FPS would be trivial. The fact that they haven't done so points to a different conclusion.

wickfut

Banned
It could be somewhat difficult to make it framerate independent depending on how it was implemented, but merely making it work at 60 FPS the way it works at 30 FPS would be trivial. The fact that they haven't done so points to a different conclusion.

Lazyness.

Like the way they didn't bother to make DS1 resolution higher than 720p

dissa9

Neo Member
After 30 odd attempts and then a day off I finally beat the
Pursuer
, first attempt in less than 30 seconds.

Parried his first attack right in front of a ballista, got the shot off, dodged three lunges, each followed with a hit from me and game over for the annoying twat.

I now feel really pathetic for struggling so badly, after all the pain it was ridiculously easy.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Don't hit corpses.

An easy thing to say, much harder to follow when fighting multiple opponents (and it would seem that this SotFS edition is just packed to the brim with those scenarios) or using a multi-hit weapon, like halberds or twinblades.

Uhu, no. I played Bloodborne, in example, even if only one hour. There's nothing like that on it. Hell, there's nothing like that in Demon and DS1 too.

It's simply a faulty thing, because the only thing this bug does it making the game frustrating. There's no reason you can't reach the second bonfire from the first without breaking your weapon, as I read here.

If From will pass this as a "feature", it's only because they can't find a way to fix this bug, since it's related to 60 fps.

There are also some games with similar bugs, one is Resident Evil 4 in which one QTE in the mine is almost impossible if you play with 60 fps enabled, unbelieveble easy if you play on locked 30 fps.

It's not just the durability. Window time for guard breaks, Foward R2 and parries are reduced. When I used a F310 gamepad, It was impossible for me to perform any of of the things I mention above until I capped the FPS to 30. For some reason switching to the 360 controller fixed the issue using guard break at 60fps

It's a bug

What are you even talking about? I simply disagree. I have been disagreeing since back when it was only the PC version running at 60 FPS, and people thought I was crazy. Now we have 4 out of 6 versions of the game displaying the same behavior.

I dunno....you have a point but I still feel like dark souls 2, even the next gen versions, are based on the xbox 360 version which was the lead platform....which was designed to run at 30 fps. I don't feel like it' working as intended. add to this issue the other issues resulting from framerate like unreasonably fast enemy attacks and basically impossible parry/ riposte animations that are drastically harder than the last gen versions.....I think it's an issue. Unless you're just kidding around in which case....hahaha.

As a side note I'm wondering if you folks can help me. I've set the game to run at 30fps as a workaround but the camera frequently has a minute, rapid shaking visual to it now and background scenery has this horrible shimmer that is nearly impossible to look at. I put on triple buffering and set adaptive vsync on in nvidia control panel. What am i doing wrong here?

Artorias

Banned

Its hard to believe you're being serious. You think the fact they haven't patched a bug points to it being intentional? Lol...

gogosox82

I'm using a mace +6, craftsman's hammer, and a large club +6 in my current play through. I brought ADP up considerably and only have the bare minimum strength to hold onto the club two handed. Aggressive.

The first two are exclusively for regular enemies and the club is for everything, depending on how close I am to a bonfire.

I don't remember the mace's durability but I don't remember having that much of an issue with durability with when I used it near launch when it was really broken. So do use the mace for most enemies and use the large club for bossess or really tough enemies? I always felt like I could use the large club would degrade on me very quickly. Would you say your selective with how you use the large club?

Don't hit corpses.

That not fair to say when the game has enemies you can clearly see as corpses. It makes sense to take them out before they get up and attack you. Also weapon animations go through enemy animations when you've killed them leading to the game registering the animation as you hitting a dead body even though you haven't. Whips in particular have an issue with this. You kill an enemy with a whip but because the animation of the whip isn't finished when the enemy dies, you get a degradation penalty added onto your weapon so its not as easy as saying "don't hit corpses".

usp84

So now the durability thing is a "feature"?What the hell?lol

You cant even get to the Ruin Sentinels without breaking your weapon if you kill 15 enemies on the way.

You must be mad to think this is intended and if it is then the developers are mad.

I dont see how anyone can defend this thing.

Furthermore the new enemy placement is absolute shit.I wouldnt recommend this version to anybody.Its amazing how fucked up some areas like Iron Keep are.I really hope they havent changed anything to the DLCs.

So now the durability thing is a "feature"?What the hell?lol

You cant even get to the Ruin Sentinels without breaking your weapon if you kill 15 enemies on the way.

You must be mad to think this is intended and if it is then the developers are mad.

I dont see how anyone can defend this thing.

Furthermore the new enemy placement is absolute shit.I wouldnt recommend this version to anybody.Its amazing how fucked up some areas like Iron Keep are.I really hope they havent changed anything to the DLCs.

I agree with you about the durability issues but I'm having no problems with the enemy placement. I'm loving it. Granted I haven't reached iron keep yet due to my build (dual wield) being basically impossible to use because of durability problems. I almost want to restart the game but I'm pretty deep into it :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was all for the "theres 3 weapon slots, use it" theory, until I remembred there is item load, and worst, a stat just for item load. So im struggling to get under 70% with just 1 weapon, let alone 3... so yeah.

there are other things bothering me coming from BB, not just that, and I was one of the "few" DS2 defenders last year. Hard to come back to it (and I imagine DS1 tbh) after BB tho, who would have thought especially since I was a big shield guy

I was all for the "theres 3 weapon slots, use it" theory, until I remembred there is item load, and worst, a stat just for item load. So im struggling to get under 70% with just 1 weapon, let alone 3... so yeah.

there are other things bothering me coming from BB, not just that, and I was one of the "few" DS2 defenders last year. Hard to come back to it (and I imagine DS1 tbh) after BB tho, who would have thought especially since I was a big shield guy

again, 3 weapon slots is a lot less appealing when you're dual wielding. Does that mean I need to be carrying around 6 fully upgraded enchanted weapons at all times? not too feasible considering the limited resources and nearly non existent farming capability.

def sim

I don't remember the mace's durability but I don't remember having that much of an issue with durability with when I used it near launch when it was really broken. So do use the mace for most enemies and use the large club for bossess or really tough enemies? I always felt like I could use the large club would degrade on me very quickly. Would you say your selective with how you use the large club?

I am selective, yeah. The large club needs some watching out for. It's how I assumed the game naturally is since the PC version is the only way I've played DkS2. The durability mechanic becomes noticeably lax later on with certain items so maintaining multiple weapons becomes less of a requirement.

def sim

You don't need to slot every weapon you use. I equip items as needed to keep weight down.

As for the BB and Dark Souls, they are different enough to be their own thing even if the former is still Souls in foundation. It's not a matter of one game being made outdated and I'd really rather not have Bloodborne become the standard for Souls games.

usp84

Is it possible to filter NeoGAF? I'd like to remove all posts containing "durability"...

Why?

I think as someone who has given 130 euros to this game in 1 year i think i have the right to complain about something.If you dont wantt to read about it then dont visit this thread.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat D
ragonrider
and O
ld
D
ragonslayer
in Heide. Man that first boss is stupid easy, just circle strafe to the right and spank him in the butt when he attacks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's not a matter of one game being made outdated

that is exactly what it is to me, sorry. Well, im not sorry, its my opinion, which matters to one person, and that person is me :p

Game4life

Banned

It is very difficult. BB's moment to moment gameplay is so riveting and in my opinion the best game for melee build lovers unequivocally. It will take a while to get back to the flow of shield based gameplay. I however feel it is unfair to retrospectively criticize the more passive gameplay of Souls. I am glad this difference exists though so we can have two parallel IP's that can grow into different beasts.

As I remember from playing DkS2 on PS3 right during release, it wasn't locked at 30FPS, but it couldn't run above that most of the time unless you were staring at the sky or you were in certain small places with few light sources and assets.

With that said, is Durability supposed to work correctly as it is on 60FPS or 30FPS and below? Does that mean that the developers are using Fixed time-steps?

It is very difficult. BB's moment to moment gameplay is so riveting and in my opinion the best game for melee build lovers unequivocally. It will take a while to get back to the flow of shield based gameplay. I however feel it is unfair to retrospectively criticize the more passive gameplay of Souls. I am glad this difference exists though so we can have two parallel IP's that can grow into different beasts.

Demon's Souls was quite fast too; rolling had kinda ridiculously fast recovery. I personally liked how fast was DeS, and I hated DkS1 for being kinda slower, even though I liked the game later on. After playing DeS and DkS1, I kinda wanted a combat-oriented souls game that is faster, more polished/precise (in terms of combat and attack mechanics), and most importantly more balanced (having less emphasis on "weak" equipment versions and RPG elements/stat abusing). Too bad BB is the closest thing to that spin-off that I always wanted--since I want both formats to run individually, but it is freaking sub 30fps console exclusive, which buying a PS4 won't solve the problem of bad frame-timing and other console-related issues. I will still play BB because it looked damn good, even though I was turned off by it initially.

def sim

So would say this game is worth the $30 for someone who played PC version but no DLC? Or wait for sale?

Do you want to play Dark Souls 2 all over again and are you curious to see the changes? If yes, then this is still $5 too expensive, but you'll get to satisfy your curiosity and see what that DLC is all about. Apparently they're good.

Why?

I think as someone who has given 130 euros to this game in 1 year i think i have the right to complain about something.If you dont wantt to read about it then dont visit this thread.

I've given 210 euros to this game (got the overpriced superspecial edition), as if that matters anyhow. I'd like to talk about changes to this edition, not hear endless complaining about something that may or may not be fixed depending on whether From considers it a bug or if they'll change it anyway to cater to the vocal minority.

I'm up to Gutter and Tseldora, and I finished the other two initial lines. So far, only a few subareas are mostly unchanged. Pretty impressive, so far. I like how
Shaded Woods feels like an extension of the earlier version, where the lion guys have been beaten back by the basilisks and the invisible rangers.

I like how there are more NPC invasions and also more summonable NPC:s that weren't there before.

I also noted that someone summoned me and two others, but we were unable to heal. Is that a consequence of getting three phantoms? It might be a good idea not to, in that case. Without healing you don't last long.

Top Bottom