• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

BumRush

After absolutely loving DeS and DkS, I never really gave DS2 a fair shake (not sure why). Having an absolute blast with BB right now, and definitely going to give this a shot. Question...why are people so negative on it?

I ended up just ordering the regular CE version of DS2 for PC, since its discounted on amazon I get to complete my set of artbooks for demon souls, dark souls 1 & bloodborne.

I played but didnt finish DS2 on PS3 so I would love to get the PS4 edition of this scholar but without an option to play on the older setup (ie easier) I'd rather play the PC edition of the original game.

It really is a shame since to me it seems a no brainer to make a definitive edition that has the new setup AND an OPTION for playing using the old enemy placements/difficulty. But having only played DS2 in PS3, I think the original PC edition will end up a big improvement at 1080/60

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It is very difficult. BB's moment to moment gameplay is so riveting and in my opinion the best game for melee build lovers unequivocally. It will take a while to get back to the flow of shield based gameplay. I however feel it is unfair to retrospectively criticize the more passive gameplay of Souls. I am glad this difference exists though so we can have two parallel IP's that can grow into different beasts.

I didnt critize DS more passive gameplay. I critize its use of stats for example. I already hated that there was a stat solely for item load when I played vanilla, and now recently ive learned that the adaptability stat governs iframes on rolls and healing item speed usage, both are backed in into BB for example.

usp84

I've given 210 euros to this game (got the overpriced superspecial edition), as if that matters anyhow. I'd like to talk about changes to this edition, not hear endless complaining about something that may or may not be fixed depending on whether From considers it a bug or if they'll change it anyway to cater to the vocal minority.

I'm up to Gutter and Tseldora, and I finished the other two initial lines. So far, only a few subareas are mostly unchanged. Pretty impressive, so far. I like how
Shaded Woods feels like an extension of the earlier version, where the lion guys have been beaten back by the basilisks and the invisible rangers.

I like how there are more NPC invasions and also more summonable NPC:s that weren't there before.

I also noted that someone summoned me and two others, but we were unable to heal. Is that a consequence of getting three phantoms? It might be a good idea not to, in that case. Without healing you don't last long.

The point is that i can complain about anything i want at least when its something like this.As i said dont read this thread if you dont like it or simply ignore these comments.Very simple.

Also there is no way to know that people complaining about the durability are a minority.

Demon's Souls,Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 in consoles are games that you could kill more than 15(!) enemies with a single weapon adn still be able to use it on the boss.This cannot happen in th Scholar of the First Sin.Not with the mace,rapier and several other weapons i tried.

It is an issue as much as you want to ignore it.Again very simple

JGLS

Just one question, the reduced price to upgrade for previous owners of DSII is permanent, correct? If I wish to buy the game later, I'll still have it, right?

Divius

Couple of hours in and still really struggling with the controls of combat and movement. I just can't seem to get the hang of it and it is stopping me from truly getting into the game. Dying in Dark Souls 1 was because I was being stupid, in Dark Souls 2 it is (mainly) because of weird rolling/dodging, funky camera stuff or just me not understanding the new mechanics.

The game itself so far is alright. Aesthetically it is beautiful. The gameplay I am still on the fence about. The locations and enemies are fine.

Up to the
Lost Bastille
area and the triple
ruin sentinel
bossfight. Tried to solo them (no luck) and with 2 NPC summons (also nope) and with a phantom (that guy died even sooner than me). Should be fine though, I'll get it eventually.

Also found the
blacksmith
by pure luck, was just wondering when I would come across one. :p

Neoweee

Couple of hours in and still really struggling with the controls of combat and movement. I just can't seem to get the hang of it and it is stopping me from truly getting into the game. Dying in Dark Souls 1 was because I was being stupid, in Dark Souls 2 it is (mainly) because of weird rolling/dodging, funky camera stuff or just me not understanding the new mechanics.

The game itself so far is alright. Aesthetically it is beautiful. The gameplay I am still on the fence about. The locations and enemies are fine.

Up to the
Lost Bastille
area and the triple
ruin sentinel
bossfight. Tried to solo them (no luck) and with 2 NPC summons (also nope) and with a phantom (that guy died even sooner than me). Should be fine though, I'll get it eventually.

Also found the
blacksmith

Which BS? You may have missed one.

Up to the
Lost Bastille
area and the triple
ruin sentinel

Also found the
blacksmith

Level up adaptability until you get 105 agility and watch as your controls suddenly make sense again.

def sim

I didnt critize DS more passive gameplay. I critize its use of stats for example. I already hated that there was a stat solely for item load when I played vanilla, and now recently ive learned that the adaptability stat governs iframes on rolls and healing item speed usage, both are backed in into BB for example.

Ah I agree that ADP and item load not being part of endurance are an unnecessary bit of nuance in DkS2. I hope these changes are scrapped for the third game.

If you're going to play DS2, you need to read this, don't care if it's a spoiler free new run or not:

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/agility

Takeaway: Get your Adaptability up enough to raise your Agility to 100. Doing so will give you faster item usage and if you get it to 105, you have exactly the same iframes as the fast roll in DS1. 99 is really close, 100 gives you the quicker item usage.

Code:
Agility	iFrames
85	5
86	8
88	9
92	10
96	11
99	12
105	13
111	14
114	15
116	16

Another thing, anything up to 70% weight burden is totally fine - it'll lower the distance you can roll as it increases (and very slightly increase falling damage), but it does not affect your iframes, you still have the same invincibility period.

TLDR: Raise your agility to improve dodge roll iframes and item use speed, do it now.

Rolls in DkS2 are considerably worse than in any Souls games, as noted above. Placing points into ADP is a must if you want the original feel.

Neoweee

Why do i have a feeling that heide's tower is not the right place to go as a newb?

It can be very very good to do first. For sorcerers or people with blunt weapons, it can be a giant easy payday, and you can run right to the (appropriately) easy boss killing 0 enemies.

There is a really great item in one of those chests, too.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Was doing some jolly co-operation in Heide on PC and ran into a Nibel. Is that you, GAF Nibel? It was about as smooth as a boss run could have gone!

It blows my mind how big a deal people are making about the durability 'issue'. It has barely even effected my playthrough, only in the first couple areas would I notice a weapon getting low and simply switch weapons. It is so negligible that it seems like if they were to 'fix' it then the entire system would become useless and they might as well remove it.

Mogwai

Did FromSoft nerf the Rat Authority fight?

I went in and succeeded in first try with my trusty falchion. I really didn't expect to survive. Back at release, that fight was ridiculously dependent on a swipe weapon and luck.

Up to the
Lost Bastille
area and the triple
ruin sentinel

Also found the
blacksmith

While I came away from DS2 still really enjoying it, I think my biggest issue with the game was the weird rolling/ADP stat addition and the reliance of ganksquad rooms. The difficulty often felt like a blunt instrument being used to keep you from progressing. Group combat was never great in Demon's or Dark Souls, but 2 really highlighting how ill-equipped the player is in these games to deal with masses of enemies. I still shudder thinking about that one room in the Bastille where those soldiers bum rush out of that little room onto that tiny bridge.

Bloodborne's addition of more sweeping strikes in melee attacks and ability to stun aggressively is something I hope carries on to the next Dark Souls game. I'm not against having to fight lots of dudes, but at least make a few more tools available besides "hope you can pull like a raid tank."

Durability bitching = BAN
If I was a mod

What about bitching about durability bitching?

levyjl1988

Banned
Two questions:

1. Does dragon fire go through the walls in Dragon Aerie?

2. Are there brand new areas not available on the last gen games? I've heard there are new shortcuts.

dissa9

Neo Member

Up to the
Lost Bastille
area and the triple
ruin sentinel

Also found the
blacksmith

I'm really enjoying the game so far but it can be jarring coming off Bloodborne and also even DS1 which I've been playing in recent months.

There is definitely a much bigger delay between actions than DS1, stamina penalty is also very high. Every attack really needs to be considered, I've been slaughtered so many times when ive been over aggressive.

Neoweee

While I came away from DS2 still really enjoying it, I think my biggest issue with the game was the weird rolling/ADP stat addition and the reliance of ganksquad rooms. The difficulty often felt like a blunt instrument being used to keep you from progressing. Group combat was never great in Demon's or Dark Souls, but 2 really highlighting how ill-equipped the player is in these games to deal with masses of enemies. I still shudder thinking about that one room in the Bastille where those soldiers bum rush out of that little room onto that tiny bridge.

Bloodborne's addition of more sweeping strikes in melee attacks and ability to stun aggressively is something I hope carries on to the next Dark Souls game. I'm not against having to fight lots of dudes, but at least make a few more tools available besides "hope you can pull like a raid tank."

I think Bloodborne's "Charge" attacks made a huge difference for handling groups of enemies. You can charge for a brief moment and let loose at the right moment to hit several enemies at once and get a little bit of hit-stun out of it. An extra move for each weapon, as well as a little bit of extra range when powerstancing, could make a huge difference.

Hey, I can confirm that Toys R Us was totally willing to break street date. The guy ringing me up realized what was up, but since he had already confirmed to me on the phone that they were selling it, he let me check out. He told someone after I bought it that they ought to pull the game until Tuesday.

I'm speaking about SotFS for PS4.

Banned

Which one is that?

The Apostles of the Blue. You wear a ring and when a Way of the Blue guy gets invaded, you get summoned to aid him (or get both killed by a bloody asshat invader). You can also hunt down sinners as a blue police dude.

I've had a blue guy come to my aid to get rid of an unholy invader who had the lack of tact to invade me while I was playing "keep your balance in the giant-long iron chain" on the road to Brume Tower.

Speaking of DLC...
Is the invader "Forlorn" an NPC or just another cheap opportunist, bloody bastard who 1-shot'd me with a giant scythe? (This happened at Frozen Eleum Loyce by the way.)

More talk about the game:

Did anyone face the giants in Black Gulch? I went to visit them and I think there are more than 2 now!?!? Can anyone confirm this? 2 was overkill so if they put more I'll go crazy, there is no way I can beat them in melee...

Relaxed Muscle >
She's further inside the Wharf, inside a house now. Another of the many changes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Where's Lucatiel?

Can't find her on No Man's Wharf. Don't want to miss her questline.

In a tower at the start of
lost bastille

Was that a
dragon
I saw in the distance in heide tower? Se orange thing on the way to the boss in the cathedral. Sure looks like a
dragon
from far away

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
In a tower at the start of
lost bastille

Was that a
dragon
I saw in the distance in heide tower? Se orange thing on the way to the boss in the cathedral. Sure looks like a
dragon
from far away

Yeah, but it's not actually that hard to deal with. Just stick close to its feet.

Abylim

Nearly done with the main game, did my first foray into the DLC lastnight, holy shit!

Didnt realize that
platforms could be moved, in the first DLC, so I went ages without finding a bonfire.

Ghost guys you cant damage destroyed me, until I found their corpses, then they destroyed me slightly less.

Made my way down to Dragons Rest, fighting off all those knights with sexy armor, made it to the boss, and she destroyed me.

Does DLC get affected by ng+? I'm thinking I should do it later, I'm doing much less damage to things then I was even at D
ragons Aerie

Durability still an issue at times, even with Bracing Knuckle Ring+1. I have to switch it up sometimes with a backup weapon, still. Especially in U
ndead Crypt, before Velstad
t. It's nowhere near as bad as it was in the beginning though!

How many hours/ soul levels are you have in? What is your build?

Well, I started out as Deprived and am lvl 35, so I barely would be considered a strength build (two-handing the fire longsword). I realized that I should level up elsewhere and come back later, primarily due to getting fatigued/low on Estus near the
Heide Knight with the spear
and the
Drake

Somewhat of a humbling experience, considering I started out as Deprived, played through entirely with the Company of Champions Covenant, and beat every boss (minus DLC, because that wasn't out yet at the time) in my first playthrough of the original version.

Augustiner

Neo Member
Does anyone have any impressions of the Xbox 360 version of this game? I know it doesn't have any graphical updates, but how is the performance compared to Dark Souls I?

Neoweee

So, after a lot of struggling starting as a Deprived and joining The Company of Champions, I finally have a good foothold on my build as it comes together. A good, upgraded, Lightning Short Sword for melee-ing, followed by half-assed Miracles and full-assed pyromancy. I finally have some decent HP and Armor, but I need to start pumping Stamina and Weight.

This is definitely the version of the game to get. People will dwell on a few changes here or there, but there are hundreds and hundreds of changes to the game, the vast majority of which help the game be the fuller experience. About ten hours in, I've gotten the durability warning three times. One at the start of FotFG before I started using the R2 "strong" attack, which was a thrust with the weapon at the time, and twice on really extended journeys from bonfires, clearing several "sections" between rests.

And performance notes: I am, for now, below the minimum requirements but performing well enough on Low.

I'm not really a fan of the NPC invasions they've added. There's like 3 in a row at the gulch place with the statues shooting poison at you. None of them are very hard (though that magic spamming one was annoying, dealing with magic is my biggest weakness) but I just find them really uninteresting. All they give you for beating them are humanity. feels like they should have dropped some armor or weapons with lore stuff on them by now.

Also, I'm pretty far along now but I've yet to run into any new NPCs or hear any new dialogue. Is that normal? Not sure where the new NPCs are.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Seems that you no longer need to deal with belfry gargoyles to get the bastille key,
you can find it in the lost bastille now.

JerkShep

Played 6ish hours, the experience has been mostly positive. There are some bullshit moments (Heide after killing Dragonrider is a mess), but they improved many other instances (Sinner's Rise bonfire for example, new shortcut in No Man Wharfs etc). I'm not sure if blocking paths with stone people is a good idea, I'll have to wait and see.

I know they are the same that in vanilla but man the bosses are unremarkable in this game coming from Bloodborne. Last Giant, Dragonrider, Old Dragon Slayer, Flexile Sentry...my god :\. I personally like the stuff they're doing with Pursuer so he's a plus in my book.

Blue Sentinels is the covenant where you're supposed to warp in to save people in the Way of Blue (first available covenant) from invaders.

Assuming you already talked to her in Lost Bastille, she's in one of the houses in No Man's Wharf now.

Yeah, found her later.

Not sure why they changed her spot.

Beepos

Just triple checking... to fight the
Executioner's Chariot
, there are no shortcuts from the closest bonfire? You literally have to go through 6 of those assholes every time from Huntsman Corpse?

Top Bottom