• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so what the fuck at the
dragon
in hilde's tower? o_O

I tried dashing, no way to get to him before he knocks me back and eventually kills me

Beepos

I hate to be that guy, but practice, practice practice. Lure one at a time, and even with a Dagger you can easily move forward. It just takes longer.

GRaider81

Im new to this coming from BB. Enjoying what little I have played do far.

Thinking of starting again though, does anyone have any tips for very beginning of game. Are there any items or weapons I should look for in first area?

What is a good class for a noob?

Also where should I go at first? I went down to where the dragon guy is at first but then found the forest (?) area.

I do want to explore myself but would be good to get off on the right foot

Beepos

Im new to this coming from BB. Enjoying what little I have played do far.

Thinking of starting again though, does anyone have any tips for very beginning of game. Are there any items or weapons I should look for in first area?

What is a good class for a noob?

Also where should I go at first? I went down to where the dragon guy is at first but then found the forest (?) area.

I do want to explore myself but would be good to get off on the right foot

First area is Forest of Giants. It has a few extra solders along the way to deal with, so go slowly. Also you need to open up the shortcut connecting the citadel bonfire so stock some firebombs with yourself. (purchase off witch it you don't have any).

demonkaze

Wondering if I'm a bit over levelled for the point I'm at in the game as Its been so long since I played this. I'm Lv 103 and have got 3 primals done, going for a dex build. I've been using a Ricard's rapier + 10 and a regular Rapier + 10, what's good to infuse these with and what's a good light armor set to go with?

Also when should I take on the dlc, when I have the last boss unlocked?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Shoot it with an arrow from level below then we he flies in the sky run to its platform.

bah. well ok then :p

another thing, were there so many torches you could light up in no mans wharf before? the regular ones, not the
big device one

they make the zone look awesome when you light them along the way. I know peeps hate that zone but I really like it /shrug

Rhaknar

is mah old weapon, my lovely
Greatsword
still in
No Man's Wharf
?

please say yes :(

Rhaknar

good, im there now. not that I can use it atm, but Im feeling the game again, and I miss it :p

I forget what shield I used... actually, I think when I finished the game and was about to hit ng+ (before any dlc was out) I was fat rolling with full
havel
including the shield.

Lanrutcon

Caved and bought it. Can't tell what's different visually, but I'm used to Durante's mod. Got to the area where the first Heide knight used to be, killed a mass of enemies and then accidentally swung my weapon once too many times to kill an enemy.

...durability bug in full effect. Sword broken.

addyb

I need some advice. Ok I've finished the forest and have beaten
dragonrider
at the tower of flame and headed to no man's wharf and got a bit wrecked.

So far I've mainly been using the fire longsword and a shortsword upgraded to +2.

I hear there is a ring that improves durability. Any idea where this is or can I not access it until further into the game. As for weapons the 2 I've mentioned are breaking in no man's wharf and it appears my others aren't that good or I'm not levelled enough to use them.

I also have a spear, halberd, bastard sword, morning star and a couple of soldier swords. Now should I be levelling so I can use the halberd or bastard sword? Or upgrading the ones I have better? I don't mind farming to get better stuff. I'm getting wrecked by the big old knights around tower of flame.

KainXVIII

Gaf, help me with Dex build, i want finally to use it, which weapons to use, what stats to upgrade, weapon with shield, dual-wielding or two-handed?

Wondering if I'm a bit over levelled for the point I'm at in the game as Its been so long since I played this. I'm Lv 103 and have got 3 primals done, going for a dex build. I've been using a Ricard's rapier + 10 and a regular Rapier + 10, ?

You fight dual-wielding?

Mogwai

I hear there is a ring that improves durability. Any idea where this is or can I not access it until further into the game. As for weapons the 2 I've mentioned are breaking in no man's wharf and it appears my others aren't that good or I'm not levelled enough to use them.
You can find the ring in the Lost Bastille.

Mogwai

Ok thanks. Is that accessible via the birds nest? Does it really improve it? I've not had any issues until I got to no man's wharf.
You'll have to defeat the Bastille boss if you take the bird nest route. If you go from the wharf you can grab it without any boss fight. I really like the ring, even as the base version. But the +2 is much better for weapon durability as it has 50% reduced wear compared to 20% for the base version.

addyb

You'll have to defeat the Bastille boss if you take the bird nest route. If you go from the wharf you can grab it without any boss fight. I really like the ring, even as the base version.

Ok thanks for the tips. So I need to make a decision. Risk no man's wharf with my weapons or beat the Bastille boss.

Mogwai

Ok thanks for the tips. So I need to make a decision. Risk no man's wharf with my weapons or beat the Bastille boss.
If you can sniff out a route to the boss, it'll be quite simple to just sprint to the boss in the wharf. That'll save you a lot of enemies, time and broken weapons. You can always go back and collect any items you've missed :)

demonkaze

Gaf, help me with Dex build, i want finally to use it, which weapons to use, what stats to upgrade, weapon with shield, dual-wielding or two-handed?

You fight dual-wielding?

Yeah dual-wielding and so far so good, although I had to pump early levels into Adp to get my agility (iframes) up to 105 so that I could actually use my roll properly.

addyb

If you can sniff out a route to the boss, it'll be quite simple to just sprint to the boss in the wharf. That'll save you a lot of enemies, time and broken weapons. You can always go back and collect any items you've missed :)

Yeah I'm not sure how close I got to the boss. I plodded along a fair bit and got past some weird monkey type creatures and then died. Maybe I will just do some trial sprints and see how I get on.

Fitts

I haven't played DS2 since its initial release and am, therefore, unfamiliar with the patches that have been implemented since that time. I just read in another thread that Royal Rat Authority had been nerfed since initial release. I was also told by a co-worker some time ago that Lost Sinner (one of my favorite boss fights from the game) was nerfed. He also told me that they reduced the difficulty of Shrine of Amana somehow. (one of my favorite areas)

What other bosses/etc. have been nerfed since DS2 launched?
Also... why!?

Xeilyn

Some of these new enemy placements are so dumb.. Why the hell is there a syan knight in huntsmans copse? Feels like no thought at all went into it

Rhaknar

Where was
havel
set and shield again? That green poison zone right?

NBtoaster

I haven't played DS2 since its initial release and am, therefore, unfamiliar with the patches that have been implemented since that time. I just read in another thread that Royal Rat Authority had been nerfed since initial release. I was also told by a co-worker some time ago that Lost Sinner (one of my favorite boss fights from the game) was nerfed. He also told me that they reduced the difficulty of Shrine of Amana somehow. (one of my favorite areas)

What other bosses/etc. have been nerfed since DS2 launched?
Also... why!?

They were too frustrating before. I'd say Amana is even easier in this release too. And Dragon Shrine is much easier.

addyb

Well never thought this would happen. Started this yesterday morning and also had a session last night and not even thought about going back to bloodborne even though I like BB more? I guess the more crushing difficulty on this is keeping me here as I'm more determined to beat where I get stuck. I say crushing difficulty but in reality it's just my lack of a decent gameplan that leads to my downfall most of the time. The variety of weapons is also keeping me here. Some I'm just a little short stat wise of using them so want to get levelled so I can try them out.

Just seen this and oh man....
0b4.jpg

Nibel

Was doing some jolly co-operation in Heide on PC and ran into a Nibel. Is that you, GAF Nibel? It was about as smooth as a boss run could have gone!

Unfortunately nope, breh. Didn't play DS2 in months but plan to continue soon since I still have 2 DLCs to finish.

DeaviL

Banned
Recently found about 6 bloodstains around a chest, they tried to kill the mimic before it's grab activated by all attacking it at the same time...

Top Bottom