• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Divius

Five
gargoyles
, huh? That's no fun. From, the strength of the Souls games are not in fighting large(r) groups, yet you have been forcing this on me. Stop it.

Guess I'll go farm a bit and upgrade my weapon since I am hardly doing any damage.

psy18

Just reached
Shrine of Amana

Oh my... I think the added even more enemies in this area. Aggroed tons at the same time because I was carrying a torch to see the ground (not sure if this torch thing also happens in the original). Houses and pillars are your savior in this area!

dissa9

Neo Member
First time im playing this game but is the first boss suppose to be this easy?

If you fight
Pursuer
next you might not find him easy at all. I'd not played DS2 before and had an absolute mare beating him, well over 30 attempts, probably says more about me but see how you go. The giant was possibly easiest souls boss I've ever faced, including Pinwheel.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Just reached
Shrine of Amana

Oh my... I think the added even more enemies in this area. Aggroed tons at the same time because I was carrying a torch to see the ground (not sure if this torch thing also happens in the original). Houses and pillars are your savior in this area!

Yes, carrying a torch in that area aggroed enemies in vanilla.

duck_sauce

What are your opinion on weapon enchantments? Im really not sure.....the weapon gets a lot weaker and im not sure the added effect damage is worth it half the time.

So how about your? Are you enchanting weapons? What enchantments are worth it?

Abylim

What's the consensus on b
oss soul
weapons?
Most seem weak, some could be great. Currently rocking the d
ragon swords, the ultra and curved. 610 damage
on stat sheet for it!

Carlius

Banned
oss soul
weapons?
on stat sheet for it!

am going DUAL ULTRA SWORD. it just looks so badass.

Neoweee

It seems like a lot of people are pushing through The P****** and the following zone rather than exploring. There's a ton of other zones and bosses you could be doing by that point. Sticking to a single path can have a BRUTAL difficulty curve.

Aces&Eights

Getting ready to pick this up (as soon as I finish Bloodborne) and am wondering if someone can give me an honest opinion about this whole weapon degradation thing. I skipped DS2 on PS3 since I knew they would remaster so I have no reference for it.

I get that weapons deteriorate over time. I am just wondering if the folks saying, "I killed 5 guys then my sword broke!" are full of hyperbole or if it really is an issue. I know there is repair powder and stuff and I actually like that sort of mechanic but how does it play out in this game? Is it "once a level you need to repair" or "once every 30 seconds you need to repair? Also, does it really do much more damage for hitting a wall or a corpse?

Neoweee

Getting ready to pick this up (as soon as I finish Bloodborne) and am wondering if someone can give me an honest opinion about this whole weapon degradation thing. I skipped DS2 on PS3 since I knew they would remaster so I have no reference for it.

I get that weapons deteriorate over time. I am just wondering if the folks saying, "I killed 5 guys then my sword broke!" are full of hyperbole or if it really is an issue. I know there is repair powder and stuff and I actually like that sort of mechanic but how does it play out in this game? Is it "once a level you need to repair" or "once every 30 seconds you need to repair? Also, does it really do much more damage for hitting a wall or a corpse?

The issue only comes into play when you hit a corpse or a wall, which costs double the durability of what it did on PS3. Regular hits work as usual. Corpses and walls always had a durability penalty.

Durability is fundamentally different than the other games. It is lower, but restores to max at every bonfire for free and automatically like your Estus and spell uses, as long as it didn't go all the way to 0 durability. You would need to repair it at a smith if it fully broke. You get a low durability warning when something is close to breaking.

Aces&Eights

The issue only comes into play when you hit a corpse or a wall, which costs double the durability of what it did on PS3. Regular hits work as usual. Corpses and walls always had a durability penalty.

Durability is fundamentally different than the other games. It is lower, but restores to max at every bonfire for free and automatically like your Estus and spell uses, as long as it didn't go all the way to 0 durability. You would need to repair it at a smith if it fully broke. You get a low durability warning when something is close to breaking.

OK, thanks. That seems reasonable. The only issue I guess is I sometimes do a swing after the previous hit killed an enemy. Kind of sucks that I get a penalty for defending myself in the heat of battle lol. I assume this is what you mean by hitting a corpse as I can't see any reason why someone would just start wailing on an already dead guy.

Vitor711

oss soul
weapons?
on stat sheet for it!

They're mostly trash. Best weapons in the game are blunt due to the excess of armoured enemies. Some of the DLC ones are decent
Hi there Fume Knight Great Sword

The giant club? Pretty OP once you get it to +10. That and the Dragon Tooth are still my go-to's. Best scaling/damage output in the game I think if you're going a Str build.

I also really enjoyed the axe that you get in
Pharros
but that was mostly for aesthetics, not practicality.

Still, if you like a weapon, add a lightning gem if it's a blade or keep it raw if it's blunt. Both will maximise the damage since most enemies are weak to one of the two (or both).

Neoweee

OK, thanks. That seems reasonable. The only issue I guess is I sometimes do a swing after the previous hit killed an enemy. Kind of sucks that I get a penalty for defending myself in the heat of battle lol. I assume this is what you mean by hitting a corpse as I can't see any reason why someone would just start wailing on an already dead guy.

Yeah, its an issue that some weapons kind of hit guys on their way down. The issue dsiproprtinally hurts a few weapon types. Learning to use your thrust attacks helps a ton.

With or without the durability issue, you should have two weapons equipped if you are a pure physical build, because that is the intent of the bonfire-centered durability mechanics. The first area us among the worst for durability.

Aces&Eights

Yeah, its an issue that some weapons kind of hit guys on their way down. The issue dsiproprtinally hurts a few weapon types. Learning to use your thrust attacks helps a ton.

With or without the durability issue, you should have two weapons equipped if you are a pure physical build, because that is the intent of the bonfire-centered durability mechanics. The first area us among the worst for durability.

Oh yeah, two at least. I'm a little concerned because the Giant Club is a weapon I will use predominantly and that has a 3 swing combo from what I can tell. If the first 2 kills the enemy then that 3rd, over the head smash is going to make me wince every time. Regardless, the game looks so good so in the end I'm not that worried. I'm used to Souls games adding something in the mix to jack you up, lol

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
TLG isn't "easy" if you've never played the game before. It's easy to get baited into his multi-stomp, when you think he's just going to do one stomp.

Same with the "second" boss you're likely to encounter.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What class is recommended for a hand 2 hand build, I wanna fight things with my mitts

Explicit classes don't really matter in Dark Souls. The class you pick at the beginning is basically just starting stat alignment and starting equipment. You can pretty much change it at a moments notice, and the game has an item that lets you respec all your stat points as well.

If you want to use big, slow, heavy weapons to whop on enemies with, strength will be your attack stat.

If you want to use quick, agile weapons that are weaker but hit more often, dexterity will be your attack stat.

And of course, some weapons will require an investment to a certain degree in both. Find a weapon you like, then get stats that let you equip it well.

idonteven

im stuck :/ in drangleic castle
i need to kill the soldiers in stone to be able to use the lever but none of the soldiers are waking up

all youtube videos show it working but nothing happens for me...

im stuck :/ in drangleic castle
i need to kill the soldiers in stone to be able to use the lever but none of the soldiers are waking up

all youtube videos show it working but nothing happens for me...

In
the room adjacent to it there are 2 monsters. Lure them to that room and kill them close to the statue.

Willectro

Banned
I own and enjoy both PS4 and XBO. I would prefer to play this on XBO, but apparently they framerate isn't as stable as PS4. Thoughts on if this will be patched so both versions will be similar?

addyb

Ok so parrying. Is it easier or harder with a shield or weapon? Only been practicing with a shield so far.

Alebrije

I own and enjoy both PS4 and XBO. I would prefer to play this on XBO, but apparently they framerate isn't as stable as PS4. Thoughts on if this will be patched so both versions will be similar?

Hard to tell, From usually takes lot of time to patch games by example the framerare issue on PS3 Dark Souls 1.

If the framerate is important I would go for the PS4 versión.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Im dual wielder :'(

That guy's easy, just stick to his legs and circle strafe to the right. He should never be able to hit you. To be safe, you can also dodge towards his back once he winds up his overhead attack. At that point you can wail away at his back a few times before he's able to turn around.

That guy's easy, just stick to his legs and circle strafe to the right. He should never be able to hit you. To be safe, you can also dodge towards his back once he winds up his overhead attack. At that point you can wail away at his back a few times before he's able to turn around.

Ooh i might try that, i just run by them out of pure frustration, also any tips
against those white armored knights?

Hystzen

Does the bullshit room in Drangelic Castle still exist where every door is a ruin sentinel and if you die you aggro all 6 of them

IndustryX

K OG souls noob, but I just finished up with the Bloodborne story going to finish up my chalice dungeons and grab platinum on that first, but im going to jump in on this tomorrow and try out the original souls series. What build do you recommend to be able to play in a similar fashion to Bloodborne?

Top Bottom