• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

MrMatt555

Currently working on a power stance build for my swordsman class. I just recently got enough points in both strength and dexterity and am able to run around with more powerful attacks. However, I want to know what weapons to aim for as I have over 10 titanite shards but don't see myself sticking with the starter swords through the rest of the game, so I'm holding on to them.

Hugstable

Banned
OH SHIT, guys I just messed up big time I think :(. I went to go help out a buddy with something really quick while I left Dark Souls 2 on in No Man's Wharf, and forgot I had my torch out. My Torch time went down from 45 minutes left to like 15 minutes left. Is there anyway to easily get back torches, or is it just the drops they give you every once in a while. My torch is so useful, I don't know what I will do without it. Is there anyplace to buy more? I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to reset those last 30 minutes, I'm sad now about my torches :(

Kalnos

Banned
OH SHIT, guys I just messed up big time I think :(. I went to go help out a buddy with something really quick while I left Dark Souls 2 on in No Man's Wharf, and forgot I had my torch out. My Torch time went down from 45 minutes left to like 15 minutes left. Is there anyway to easily get back torches, or is it just the drops they give you every once in a while. My torch is so useful, I don't know what I will do without it. Is there anyplace to buy more? I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to reset those last 30 minutes, I'm sad now about my torches :(

There's an enemy near the beginning of No Man's who is using a torch and I got a torch drop off of him. May be able to farm him for them if you need more.

Dynasty8

People really hated this game? Sure it's not Dark Souls 1, but this has still been amazingly fun for me. No Man's Wharf is so great now, I actually feel like I need to light all the torches now because of how Dark it is. This game is great, all the hate is now confusing the hell outta me. Does the game fall off after a bit and just get bad, or does the quality of the first few areas keep up throughout?

Yeah...the game is amazing. It's criminally underrated among the Soul's fans in my opinion. I would place this slightly higher than the rest.

This version as well is the perfect remaster... 1080p/60FPS (very much needed here), all 3 awesome DLC's, huge world with added shortcuts, added enemies with new elements/placements, improved multiplayer, and more.

orborborb

It actually gets better and better, provided you're enjoying what you're playing at the moment. DS2 is definitely front-loaded with its weakest areas.

No Man's Wharf and The Lost Bastille are the only areas in Dark Souls 2 that measure up to the best levels of Dark Souls 1 for me. Forest of Fallen Giants, Huntsman's Copse, Earthen Peak, and The Iron Keep and the first DLC were as good as some of the more middling Dark Sous 1 areas, and better than all the Demons Souls and Bloodborne levels excepting Boletarian Palace and Forbidden Woods. Most of the other Dark Souls 2 areas I thought were fairly unmemorable (though nothing was ever as bad as the boring combat of much of Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith or The Duke's Archives).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this fucking ghost guy just destroyed a chest :(

Dimmle

No Man's Wharf and The Lost Bastille are the only areas in Dark Souls 2 that measure up to the best levels of Dark Souls 1 for me. Forest of Fallen Giants, Huntsman's Copse, Earthen Peak, and The Iron Keep and the first DLC were as good as some of the more middling Dark Sous 1 areas, and better than all the Demons Souls and Bloodborne levels excepting Boletarian Palace and Forbidden Woods. Most of the other Dark Souls 2 areas I thought were fairly unmemorable (though nothing was ever as bad as the boring combat of much of Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith or The Duke's Archives).

I really enjoy the final stretch of DS2 versus the way Dark Souls 1 sorta peters out after Anor Londo.
Drangleic into Amana into the tombs and Aldia into Dragon Aerie were very memorable sequences for me.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What are important stat placements here? Endurance still king for all classes? Gotta be. I just started a sorcerer.

I know DS2 is pretty polarizing, but im working my way through forrest of the fallen giants right now and the changes are small but damn if im not having a blast doing it.

I know im enjoying a game a ton when im sitting at work thinking about what im gonna do when i get home and play.

masterkajo

Have been playing Dark Souls 2 about halfway through on release. Got cought up in work. Returning now. Is it worth it to upgrade to the new version? Or should I stick with the old one and use Durante's GeDoSaTo?

DX11 vs DX9+Durante?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck ran out of statue juice and one is blocking a chest >_<

friday

So for someone who loved DS1 and liked DS2 but never played the DLC, should I pick this up? I have heard a lot of good things about the DLC.

I can't even pull the freaking cord! Dammit wi-fi! But seriously, invaders in DkSII are mostly hackers anyway, so yeah I want to skip all of that. No way to play offline here, really?
On the PS4 it's:

Settings -> Network -> Connect to the Internet

Unless I'm missing something.

gelf

I really enjoy the final stretch of DS2 versus the way Dark Souls 1 sorta peters out after Anor Londo.
Drangleic into Amana into the tombs and Aldia into Dragon Aerie were very memorable sequences for me.
If Dark Souls 1 went into the end levels of DS2 after Anor Londo while keeping some DS1 bosses and leaving out the
giant memories
it would be near perfect for me.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
My biggest issue will forever be the enemy respawn limit. No, bonfire ascetics aren't a good alternative.

I read that the Covenant of Champions will now enable unlimited respawns, but I lose summoning white phantom NPCs. Normally, I'm totally fine not summoning, but will I miss out on NPC lore/rewards if I never summon them?

Rhaknar

totally forgot how good
vengarl's set
is

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My biggest issue will forever be the enemy respawn limit. No, bonfire ascetics aren't a good alternative.

I read that the Covenant of Champions will now enable unlimited respawns, but I lose summoning white phantom NPCs. Normally, I'm totally fine not summoning, but will I miss out on NPC lore/rewards if I never summon them?

I noticed this last night in Hilda's castle,or whatever. Are they gone for good or for a set time?

Mogwai

Why do you want to farm the same enemies so much? Just wondering.

Sullichin

Well, it's only a matter of time before I buy this. I have DS2 on Steam already so I can get the discounted price, but I kinda want it on PS4 for some reason...

If Dark Souls 1 went into the end levels of DS2 after Anor Londo while keeping some DS1 bosses and leaving out the
giant memories
it would be near perfect for me.

Yeah, DS2 has the opposite problem DS has. DS1 is incredible but takes a bit of a nosedive after Anor Londo, but DS2 gets astronomically better after Lost Bastille (with the only real dips after that being N64 Woods and Blighttown 2.0 and one really shitty part of spider town).

A weird remix/remaster where you step out of Anor Londo into Huntsman's Copse or Drangleic Castle would be awesome.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Why do you want to farm the same enemies so much? Just wondering.
I don't ever farm*. I like exploring, and I like taking risks. Sometimes, I'll see a far away platform (like that item on the rock in the Forest you have to jump after climbing the ladder into the Heide Knight area) and I don't mind dying 3 or 4 times trying to get to it. Maybe I want to see how far I can get through a new area with a new weapon just to try it before upgrading (as I don't farm, so titanite is limited).

With the respawn limit, I don't like taking those risks anymore. Even if I probably won't hit the 10? spawn limit, it's always in the back of my mind that my deaths will irrevocably change the world. I hate the empty landscapes that used to be filled with life. It makes me play safe and boring.

*I may try to farm a dude for their cool drop like the candlestick from Dark Souls 1.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I think I fucked up
Lucatiel's
sidequest/story.

I had only summoned her twice (once for The Rotten and once for The Smelter Demon). I know that I have to summon her at least once more to unlock the ending of her sidequest. The thing is I have already beaten both The Lost Sinner and The Rotten without summoning her. I went back to Black Gulch, used an Ascetic to reset The Rotten and proceeded to get my ass fucking wiped in a matter of seconds. It was so easy the first time... I can't believe how much damage output it gets.

Anyways, did I screw up?
Do I have to beat three bosses in a row without her dying to be able to complete her sidequest? I've heard that it was a requirement for Benhart's quest. And for his quest, can I just respawn The Magus and Congregation boss, which is the easiest boss fight to summon him?

Where can I get more Bonfire Ascetics, by the way? I only had one, and I bought it from
Chloanne

Mogwai

I don't ever farm*. I like exploring, and I like taking risks. Sometimes, I'll see a far away platform (like that item on the rock in the Forest you have to jump after climbing the ladder into the Heide Knight area) and I don't mind dying 3 or 4 times trying to get to it. Maybe I want to see how far I can get through a new area with a new weapon just to try it before upgrading (as I don't farm, so titanite is limited).

With the respawn limit, I don't like taking those risks anymore. Even if I probably won't hit the 10? spawn limit, it's always in the back of my mind that my deaths will irrevocably change the world. I hate the empty landscapes that used to be filled with life. It makes me play safe and boring.

*I may try to farm a dude for their cool drop like the candlestick from Dark Souls 1.

Fair enough. I personally never cared much about the respawn limit. There's always a new area to explore or test your gear on.

The Gutter is actually a pretty awesome area in SotFS. They removed most of the annoying enemies and torches are nearly required to actually illuminate it to know where to go next which adds a neat element to it.
+1 It's a great area. I love the transistion from full darkness to the point where you can see sconces burn all over the place.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I noticed this last night in Hilda's castle,or whatever. Are they gone for good or for a set time?
They're gone for good unless you burn a bonfire ascetic, but that makes them stronger too.

This brings up a good question. Anyone know if the covenant retroactively respawns despawned enemies?

It doesn't work like that. You can kill any given enemy about 12-15 times before they go away. The entire area doesn't clear automatically because you died that many times yourself.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
It doesn't work like that. You can kill any given enemy about 12-15 times before they go away. The entire area doesn't clear automatically because you died that many times yourself.
I know how it works. In the first example, I'm killing the enemies up to the item so I don't randomly die to some dude that is chasing me without me knowing. That danger is twice as high in SotFS with the added enemies and increased aggression.

I think I fucked up
Lucatiel's
sidequest/story.

I had only summoned her twice (once for The Rotten and once for The Smelter Demon). I know that I have to summon her at least once more to unlock the ending of her sidequest. The thing is I have already beaten both The Lost Sinner and The Rotten without summoning her. I went back to Black Gulch, used an Ascetic to reset The Rotten and proceeded to get my ass fucking wiped in a matter of seconds. It was so easy the first time... I can't believe how much damage output it gets.

Anyways, did I screw up?
Do I have to beat three bosses in a row without her dying to be able to complete her sidequest? I've heard that it was a requirement for Benhart's quest. And for his quest, can I just respawn The Magus and Congregation boss, which is the easiest boss fight to summon him?

Where can I get more Bonfire Ascetics, by the way? I only had one, and I bought it from
Chloanne

I believe you can burn a Bonfire Ascetic and summon her for any of those fights again to finish the quest. It doesn't have to be in a row.

Braag

jesus christ at these fucking
fire lizards
in FotG (
using the iron key
). is there even anything worth going down there for? died twice now >_>

Use a bow... and bring plenty of arrows.
I think there was a Key for one of the DLC areas there which in the original version appeared in your inventory automatically if you owned the DLC

I think I fucked up
Lucatiel's
sidequest/story.

Anyways, did I screw up?

Chloanne
You're going to find loads of bonfire ascetics, don't worry about that - there's a few as loot, some to buy from merchants and they can be farmed on one of the covenants.

You do need have Lucatiel and Benhart survive 3 boss fights total, it doesn't have to be in a row, but it has to be before your last meeting, at least in Lucatiel's case. If you speak to her at her final destination before summoning her and her surviving the 3 boss fights you will get a different end to that sidequest. So no you haven't screwed it up, just don't speak to her at
the first bonfire in Aldia's Keep
until you've summoned her. (IIRC, there's no difference in her loot whether you summon her 3 times or kill her - Melentia sells the equipment of murdered NPCs, heeheehee!

You might find it easier to ascetic and summon her for the boss in
No Man's Wharf
since it's an early boss and you might find it easier than the Rotten.

CrovaxPSO

When I played Dark Souls II when it came out last year at release, I never got invaded once (which is totally fine by me since I don't like PvP). Have things changed for this release where I should expect to be invaded now?

Mogwai

When I played Dark Souls II when it came out last year at release, I never got invaded once (which is totally fine by me since I don't like PvP). Have things changed for this release where I should expect to be invaded now?
I've played 24hrs so far. Mostly in human form. I haven't been invaded once. I wasn't even invaded at the grave of saints.

Edit: PS4 Worldwide network settings

GulAtiCa

Invasions works via a hierarchy of who gets invaded. If you are a sinner, expect to be invaded often. If you are not, well you will mostly be safe.

In all my characters for original DkS2 on PS3, I made them sinners so that I would get invaded often. Sometimes by same people in a row.

psy18

Really loving this game. With the main game "fixed", the whole package from start to finish and dlc never have a dull moment
except for those flame salamanders which are still lame >:|

Cleared one of the dlc areas within hours. Used to take me days and many deaths against bosses. Now can clear them all in one try even
solo vs ganking trio

Top Bottom