• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Nephtes

I've noticed some drops but no tearing. Its a great experience and I recommend it. I'm sure from will patch it up to improve performance too.
I gave had the game crash on me like 4 times now though... don't know if that's uniform across all versions.

I find the Xbox version plenty smooth, but likewise I gave seen a muddy frame rate here or there. Nothing like the hyperbole going on about the XOne frame rate in the DF thread. Knock on wood. No crashes yet.

I don't like the controller for a souls game like I liked the PS4 controller for Bloodborne ... But dammit, achievements are worth more to me than trophies.

phoenixyz

(Lost Bastille question)
I am stuck in Lost Bastille. I think I explored everywhere but I have no idea where to continue. I've unlocked three bonfires (the one in the cell at the beginning, the one you get when travelling via eagle and the one at the smith) and had two pursuer encounters. Halp pls.

pager99

I'm back from a week or so ban and I deserved it lesson learnt anyway having a blast playing dark souls 2 but I'm sure I haven't really being doing things in chronological order as I'm just discovering things as I go, I'm currently working my way tru earthen peak I think and I currently have 8 estus flasks at +2 and have put over 20 hrs so far my impressions so far are that this game has a stronger second half than 1 but a weaker first, oh btw I killed the miracle lady who switches the path before heides tower should I have done that?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I started over and the game is much easier now that I am not limited to a dagger that breaks in 7 minutes flat only.

Caja 117

It doesn't really matter. There's no su ch thing as class in Dark Souls, especially Dark Souls II where you can change you characters stats using a rare item. The only difference is starting items and spells.
I know that down the line it doesn't matter, I planing to do a STR/INT build, but checking the starting Attributes Swordsman seems to be better.

Soodanim

Something weird just happened: the whole screen went black, then white. The game was still running. Restarted the game and all was fine. Is that common? (970 stock).

335300_2015-04-08_000iljr7.png
2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

Not pictured: Four other ghosts

Fisty

Anyone else not having issues with durability? I think its pretty good overall, makes you juggle weapons and makes combat a bit more interesting. I started with deprived and within 30 minutes i had a sword for each slot.

Then again ive never played vanilla ds2

(Lost Bastille question)
I am stuck in Lost Bastille. I think I explored everywhere but I have no idea where to continue. I've unlocked three bonfires (the one in the cell at the beginning, the one you get when travelling via eagle and the one at the smith) and had two pursuer encounters. Halp pls.

Have you beaten the boss of the area? It's fairly straightforward to reach from the bonfire you reach when you travel from the forest. If you have beaten the boss, keep exploring the area past it.

Navy Bean

I've now completed all 4 "Souls" games and I've never done a pure magic build. Is it viable in DS2? I think it would be a nice change of pace...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What are you using to help keep the breaking down to a minimum?

It is hard as a swordsman. I remember last year I played as one. You can't keep the breaking down because the game is stupid. You have to find and use other weapons. It is as simple as that. Pick up new stuff, equip it and rest at bonfires because you have to. After a couple upgrades and few new weapons you will be ok but it really, really sucks starting out.

OMG... Just wasted 12,000 souls on a Fragrant Branch of Yore which I used super early to
de-petrify the pyromancy vendor

Of course she doesn't sell the pyromancy flame. D:
You could've got both a pyro flame and a branch of yore free by spending about the same amount of souls on
the cat ring so you can get down to the Gutter and pick both up
. That is still the best use for that item early though, so it's not wasted.

I've now completed all 4 "Souls" games and I've never done a pure magic build. Is it viable in DS2? I think it would be a nice change of pace...
DS2 is easily the best of the series for a pure magic run because of the increase in the amount of spells. Go Hex build and you can use all 4 types of magic.

Mogwai

It is hard as a swordsman. I remember last year I played as one. You can't keep the breaking down because the game is stupid. You have to find and use other weapons. It is as simple as that. Pick up new stuff, equip it and rest at bonfires because you have to. After a couple upgrades and few new weapons you will be ok but it really, really sucks starting out.

Also, backstabbing and parrying/riposte whenver possible. That costs you zero durability.

phoenixyz

Have you beaten the boss of the area? It's fairly straightforward to reach from the bonfire you reach when you travel from the forest. If you have beaten the boss, keep exploring the area past it.

No I haven't. I found the way to sinners rise but not the boss :D

(Lost Bastille question)

Option 1 (easy)
Start from the cell bonfire and follow the path towards the bastille. Get down to the open space with the crossbow men and some dogs. You should find a boarded up hole in the wall (opposite of the path that goes to the blacksmith). Go inside and if you explore a bit you should find a large dark room with some chests. It has two exits, one with stairs and the other with a lift. Take the lift.

Option 2 (hard)
Start from the eagle bonfire and follow the path towards the blacksmith. You should enter a small tower where an NPC is/was. After that tower, go left towards some knights. You need a fragrant branch of yore to depetrify the statue.

phoenixyz

In that case you actually don't even need to fight the boss in Lost Bastille anymore. Just go to Sinner's Rise and find the boss there. (If you already have then you're done in that area.)

But I'd really like to. Don't really want to skip a boss!

edit:
Option 1 (easy)
Start from the cell bonfire and follow the path towards the bastille. Get down to the open space with the crossbow men and some dogs. You should find a boarded up hole in the wall (opposite of the path that goes to the blacksmith). Go inside and if you explore a bit you should find a large dark room with some chests. It has two exits, one with stairs and the other with a lift. Take the lift.

Option 2 (hard)
Start from the eagle bonfire and follow the path towards the blacksmith. You should enter a small tower where an NPC is/was. After that tower, go left towards some knights. You need a fragrant branch of yore to depetrify the statue.

I followed option 1 and ended up in sinner's rise. Is there no way to save the branch?

takriel

Just coming off Bloodborne back to this game (i had the PS3 version but didn't get too far).

I really liked Bloodborne but I miss Dark Souls. It feels good having both these games to jump into at anytime.

Also, the soundtrack in this game is my favorite out of the two.
Okay how can you say that? How can you find this OST better than Bloodborne's?

That's what I figured. lol Also it seems like trying to go magic route early on in this game would be a pain in the ass.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Anyone else not having issues with durability? I think its pretty good overall, makes you juggle weapons and makes combat a bit more interesting. I started with deprived and within 30 minutes i had a sword for each slot.

Then again ive never played vanilla ds2

Zero issues, got a little dicey in Heide's right before
Old Dragonslayer
but just used a repair powder. Even there, it was me checking on what it was at rather than getting a "Weapon at risk" message. I play pretty carefully though and never waste attacks by swinging wildly, so I can see some newcomers finding it problematic.

Edit: For reference, I am running shieldless, two-handed hand axe.

Question about the new recurring npc invader
Forlorn
and its drops. I fought it
twice in the Bastille, but lost one fight. When I reached Straid he sold the invaders headpiece. Encountered and killed the invader in Huntsmans Copse. When I went back to Straid he had the gloves in his inventory. So my guess is that you can buy more equipment for each win?

I followed option 1 and ended up in sinner's rise. Is there no way to save the branch?

I think you have to use the item.

Hugstable

Banned
People really hated this game? Sure it's not Dark Souls 1, but this has still been amazingly fun for me. No Man's Wharf is so great now, I actually feel like I need to light all the torches now because of how Dark it is. This game is great, all the hate is now confusing the hell outta me. Does the game fall off after a bit and just get bad, or does the quality of the first few areas keep up throughout?

Dimmle

People really hated this game? Sure it's not Dark Souls 1, but this has still been amazingly fun for me. No Man's Wharf is so great now, I actually feel like I need to light all the torches now because of how Dark it is. This game is great, all the hate is now confusing the hell outta me. Does the game fall off after a bit and just get bad, or does the quality of the first few areas keep up throughout?

It actually gets better and better, provided you're enjoying what you're playing at the moment. DS2 is definitely front-loaded with its weakest areas.

And yeah, I wish I could explain the hate but it's pretty hard to pin down. Seems to be fueled by very specific criticisms and personal anecdotes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm I dont remember this
fountain thing after the old king
primal bonfire so I assume thats one of the DLCs?

Terra

I bought this game as a first entry. I am in some kind of wood, then I came into some kind of orange tinted deserted town with a few houses. I fought some enemies in a mist. Then I fell down in the water five times. I have no idea what I am doing. The only thing I know is that I am dual wielding.

Dimmle

I bought this game as a first entry. I am in some kind of wood, then I came into some kind of deserted town with a few houses. I fought some enemies in a mist. Then I fell down in the water five times. I have no idea what I am doing. The only thing I know is that I am dual wielding.

you're doing really well

Any mods working with SotFS, and is it safe to use? I remember DS2 when first released, it wasn't - so I refrained from doing so, and haven't kept up but I heard they disabled VAC. VAC disabled with SotFS as well?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
jesus christ at these fucking
fire lizards
in FotG (
using the iron key
). is there even anything worth going down there for? died twice now >_>

Feeroper

Man, playing this version on PS4 has really reignited my interest in DS2. I initially felt let dowwn baxck when it was released on PS3 due to the visual downgrade and terrible performance back then. It really hampered my experience, combined with the fact that I didnt feel it was quite as good as DS1 or DeS.

However now that it performs like a champ, looks a little better (not to the extent it did in the pre-release footage mind you), my expectations were tempered this time and I am really enjoying the game. I kinda thought I wouldnt as much as Im playing BLoodbourne quite a bit too.

I would really love to see them put out DeS and DS1 on current gen platforms now, those games have so much replayability and it would certainly be benefitcial for people who maybe didnt get into the series until now with Bloodbourne or with DS1. Considering the amount that Xbox 360 users have adopted the PS4, a DeS remaster wuld be great to bring that experience to those that missed it first time around.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Yeah, it gets a lot of spite amidst the genuine criticism. I still prefer Dark Souls, but have spent more time with DS2 overall. And yeah, the game gets better and better later on, not even including the DLC.

Top Bottom