• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
holy nerf batman, is
royal rat authority
easy now or what? maybe I just remembered not to use lock on but damn, he has like no health

anyway thats
Door of Pharros
done, and gonna call it for today because I got work soon and the next zone is huge if I remember correctly

pager99

People really hated this game? Sure it's not Dark Souls 1, but this has still been amazingly fun for me. No Man's Wharf is so great now, I actually feel like I need to light all the torches now because of how Dark it is. This game is great, all the hate is now confusing the hell outta me. Does the game fall off after a bit and just get bad, or does the quality of the first few areas keep up throughout?
It generally keeps up and gets Better imo unlike dark souls 1 which falls off

addyb

So I'm level 65 and have done
forest, wharf, bastille, sinners rise and a tiny bit of shaded woods
is that about right level wise? Don't feel like it's too hard or easy so far and about to go to huntsman.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
btw guys there was no dlc key down with the fire lizards, I went back with arrows and only found a couple of rings and shit :/

Neoweee

So I'm level 65 and have done
forest, wharf, bastille, sinners rise and a tiny bit of shaded woods
is that about right level wise? Don't feel like it's too hard or easy so far and about to go to huntsman.

There's a ton of areas you could be doing for where you are. The end zones of each path are harder than the starting zones of others.

GRaider81

I know

They're perfect once you "get" their intended design.

Your fingers NEVER have to leave the triggers!

Excuse my ignorance but have MS explained thats how they should be used or have savvy gamers found a way?

I like the X1 controller but this way of holding seems crazy to me.

meanspartan

Just beat Bloodborne, my first Souls game.

Will this feel like a step back if I pick it up? Because I am itching for more of this style of game now (BB opened up an appetite I didn't know I had lol) but don't know if maybe this will feel "old" after BB?

addyb

There's a ton of areas you could be doing for where you are. The end zones of each path are harder than the starting zones of others.

Yeah it's all new to me so not sure what I should be doing after what ive already done. I mean those areas I mentioned where all linked to each other so I kind of progressed that way. How do I access the belfry luna? I heard it's via a pharros stone in bastille but I've only come across one and that was just some chests.

Dimmle

Will this feel like a step back if I pick it up? Because I am itching for more of this style of game now (BB opened up an appetite I didn't know I had lol) but don't know if maybe this will feel "old" after BB?

I think it's more of a lateral movement. It'll feel much slower, probably.

theDeeDubs

Excuse my ignorance but have MS explained thats how they should be used or have savvy gamers found a way?

It's how I've always used bumpers, and the controller just made it easier for me. Resting my fingers on bumpers/l1/r1 has never felt right to me.

CookTrain

The way it works for me... keep your fingers on the triggers with your knuckle resting on the bumper. When you need to press the bumper, squeeze with the base of your finger instead of the fingertip. It's certainly something to get used to, but once you do, it's really quite nifty.

Rhaknar

totally forgot how many zones DS2 has, and im talking about just the base game not the dlc

Joey Ravn

Banned
I believe you can burn a Bonfire Ascetic and summon her for any of those fights again to finish the quest. It doesn't have to be in a row.

You're going to find loads of bonfire ascetics, don't worry about that - there's a few as loot, some to buy from merchants and they can be farmed on one of the covenants.

You do need have Lucatiel and Benhart survive 3 boss fights total, it doesn't have to be in a row, but it has to be before your last meeting, at least in Lucatiel's case. If you speak to her at her final destination before summoning her and her surviving the 3 boss fights you will get a different end to that sidequest. So no you haven't screwed it up, just don't speak to her at
the first bonfire in Aldia's Keep
until you've summoned her. (IIRC, there's no difference in her loot whether you summon her 3 times or kill her - Melentia sells the equipment of murdered NPCs, heeheehee!

You might find it easier to ascetic and summon her for the boss in
No Man's Wharf
since it's an early boss and you might find it easier than the Rotten.

Thanks! I guess I'll farm some Bonfire Ascetics and tackle the
Flexile Sentry
. I assume that I can repeat the same boss with
Benhart
three times and it will also unlock the final stage of his quest, right?

Strife91

So I'm about to start a new character and I wonder which class will make the game the easiest. On my last character I got stuck on Smelter Demon and I don't want that to happen again.

Mogwai

How do I open the last door in the ruin sentinel room at the castle? Opened 5 doors but the last won't open.

Divius

Turns out there is a
button
for illusionary walls. Every time I saw a message I've been rolling and hitting it, thinking there were trolls everywhere.

13 hours in.

I wonder how many area's and sikrits I've missed.

CookTrain

Turns out there is a
button
for illusionary walls. Every time I saw a message I've been rolling and hitting it, thinking there were trolls everywhere.

13 hours in.

I only figured that one out myself after following a guy I'd shaded into a world of and watched him do it. Hmm, he didn't roll, he didn't attack... oh.

... oh.

Dimmle

Turns out there is a
button

13 hours in.

Yep. Same thing happened to me on the first time through. Really a wonderfully dirty mechanic to change.

Divius

I summoned someone and he kept pointing and rolling at the wall, there was also a message on the ground and I saw phantoms of other people walking through the wall. So I knew there had to be something there! Rolled against it, hit it 3 times and my sword broke (
durability joke
) and it turned out to be so simple...

I was worried about the same but I got the PS4 version yesterday and I love it. It is somewhat slower tho but it's not a big deal to me.

Dimmle

Which walls must be broken with physical attacks? There's a few that blow up or enemies can bash through, but I don't recall player breakable walls.

I remember one or two but it might just be a figment of my hazy memory.

...why did I come to Drangleic again?

zewone

Has anyone on PS4 figured out a way to put gestures on touchpad and options on the fucking Options button like Bloodborne?

The decision to swap this on DS2 is maddening.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Picked it up! I'm looking forward to going through this game again after spending time with BB. Pretty interested in the changes and also the dlc I didn't see on the old version :)

Get'sMad

God damn it....I'm still on the fence on wether I should get this or not...did 3 play-throughs on PS3 but never did the DLC so that's kind of enticing. I'm also still engrossed in Bloodborne even though I've beaten it twice and now doing Chalice dungeon stuff.

zewone

God damn it....I'm still on the fence on wether I should get this or not...did 3 play-throughs on PS3 but never did the DLC so that's kind of enticing. I'm also still engrossed in Bloodborne even though I've beaten it twice and now doing Chalice dungeon stuff.

BB and DS2 compliment each other well. BB with the amazing combat and DS2 with it's sheer variety.

The DLC for DS2 is also top notch. Some of the best areas and bosses can be found there.

Kazuhira

Which walls must be broken with physical attacks? There's a few that blow up or enemies can bash through, but I don't recall player breakable walls.

Maybe they're confused with the illusory walls from dark souls 1 or the walls with faces after using Pharros' lockstones.

Navy Bean

BB and DS2 compliment each other well. BB with the amazing combat and DS2 with it's sheer variety.

The DLC for DS2 is also top notch. Some of the best areas and bosses can be found there.

I really liked the areas in DS2, and certainly more than BB. Just bought DS2 again so it will be interesting to see how different combat feels. But, I am damn sure I will miss my Blunderbuss stun gun...

Top Bottom