• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I still find funny a lot people didn't played the game as the walking armory that I was. 3 different weapons, a long range weapon, shield and pyromancy flame.

It actually made me very conscious of my equipment's weight and to be able to adjust to different playstyles on the fly.

Neoweee

I still find funny a lot people didn't played the game as the walking armory that I was. 3 different weapons, a long range weapon, shield and pyromancy flame.

It actually made me very conscious of my equipment's weight and to be able to adjust to different playstyles on the fly.

I really liked the interplay between managing weapons and roll distance. I'm really not a fan of the DeS and DS cutoff weights.

I love Drangleic Castle. I feel so fatigued going through most of the areas in the game, but this one is really nice. If they removed like 40% of the awful generic uninteresting areas and bosses before this, added the DLC (From what I've heard, anyway.) to the base game, and kept all the places after this...Dark Souls 2 would be quite a game!

I may be in the minority on this but I just think Dark Souls 2 has way too much stuff in it. Adding hours to the game is great for back of the box quotes but I just find a lot of the game super boring because of it. Boring boss, check, boring area, check, boring boss again, etc etc etc until you get to Drangleic Castle and it feels like the game's actually starting up again.

theDeeDubs

I platinumed the game on PS3 before they apparently gutted lightening spears. Had a lot of fun then as a Faith Archer. I mixed it up with archery and mainly used lighting spears on certain bosses that archery was annoying to use on. I'm bummed people are saying they overnerfed them. Might mess around with a mace in one hand pyro in the other this time through, as I didn't use pyro at all in DS2. I've been standing in Majula staring at the level up screen for an hour now.

Has anyone on PS4 figured out a way to put gestures on touchpad and options on the fucking Options button like Bloodborne?

The decision to swap this on DS2 is maddening.
Haha glad I am not the only one. After coming from bloodborne I keep hitting options as well.

Lanrutcon

I platinumed the game on PS3 before they apparently gutted lightening spears. Had a lot of fun then as a Faith Archer. I mixed it up with archery and mainly used lighting spears on certain bosses that archery was annoying to use on. I'm bummed people are saying they overnerfed them. Might mess around with a mace in one hand pyro in the other this time through, as I didn't use pyro at all in DS2. I've been standing in Majula staring at the level up screen for an hour now.

Completely nerfed the holy hell out of them. From really, REALLY don't want people using lightning.

Mogwai

I may be in the minority on this but I just think Dark Souls 2 has way too much stuff in it. Adding hours to the game is great for back of the box quotes but I just find a lot of the game super boring because of it. Boring boss, check, boring area, check, boring boss again, etc etc etc until you get to Drangleic Castle and it feels like the game's actually starting up again.
I'm done with most content except for the DLC areas and I'm losing the desire to continue. There is indeed a shitload of content. I should probably let the game rest for a few days :)

Beaulieu

DS2 is easily the best of the series for a pure magic run because of the increase in the amount of spells. Go Hex build and you can use all 4 types of magic.

Ive never played Ds2, completed Ds1 and BB without using magic.
Would you recommand a Hex build as a beginner ? Are some spells available from the start ?

Chitown B

created character. that's as far as I am.

I beat DS1 1000/1000

But I bought and then never played DS2 on x360. So now I'm starting on X1.

Robot Pants

God harvest valley and earthen peak are such shitty boring areas. Lows of the whole series.
Anyway, in the warp menu, what's this orange border around certain locations mean?

zewone

God harvest valley and earthen peak are such shitty boring areas. Lows of the whole series.
Anyway, in the warp menu, what's this orange border around certain locations mean?

The bonfire warp selection screen will now highlight the top three areas where players will have the best change to connect with other players online.

Mogwai

It highlights the best areas for "connecting with other players online." Which probably is both coop and PVP.

Started a dual-cestus build for SOTFS, it's actually a ton of fun. I do a surprising amount of damage after pumping up STR a bit. I'm at the wharf now and haven't had too much trouble as of yet.

theDeeDubs

Started a dual-cestus build for SOTFS, it's actually a ton of fun. I do a surprising amount of damage after pumping up STR a bit. I'm at the wharf now and haven't had too much trouble as of yet.

Dual-caestus is pretty fun, but it took a bit to get it going for me. I found I had to pump points into adapt first at the expense of damage. Once you got both going and can dual stance them with some extra str, it really took off though. Hit boxes on some bosses could be quite the pain in the ass though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think I am going to buy this even though I own all the DLC, just for the new enemy placement. DS2 is one of my favorite games of all time so I figure another $20 for a slightly fresh new playthrough is worth it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This game really took off for me. Starting out was rough as hell, didn't help I started as a deprived. Weapon durability is still a little bit of a nuisance, but it's getting easier.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Raw stone still the way to go for a +10 greatsword because of the scaling right?

I'm pure str build btw

wrongway

Pretty perplexed that they still haven't dealt with the durability nonsense after all this time, but I'm still sorely tempted to pick this up. Got pulled away from the vanilla version before DLC was out and never played it as a result (or started NG+), so it'd be fun to start a fresh run.

How's the PC version aside from durability? No new weirdness I assume?

pager99

Getting my ads handed to me in iron keep now, I keep getting invaded by npcs and then get ganked so I asked for forgiveness and no longer get invaded but I've lost patience with this area

Maybe they're confused with the illusory walls from dark souls 1 or the walls with faces after using Pharros' lockstones.

Which walls must be broken with physical attacks? There's a few that blow up or enemies can bash through, but I don't recall player breakable walls.

Almost all Illusory walls are interactive. There is one playet breakable wall in No Man's Wharf however. Just some loot inside. Wierd inconsistency.

Seems like From decided to punish players for going full magic. You can't target those phantom enemies, like...wtf?

I don't remember being that way on the original DS2.

I'm playing a light build for the first time across 3 souls playthroughs, and I have to say all of the anti-shield elitists have a point. It makes many of the encounters (especially against huge, poise destroying guys like the Smelter Demon) substantially easier and the gameplay feels more dynamic. Plus backstabbing is one of the most satisfying things in video games and now I can pull them off regularly.

I still enjoy the stamina management focused gameplay that comes with shields, but this is a truly refreshing way to play a souls game.

Completely nerfed the holy hell out of them. From really, REALLY don't want people using lightning.

They over nerfed them by "mistake" and never buffed them back to what they should have been. Even with Lightning Clutch ring, it sucks.

It was fun hurling Lightning Spear, I get why the nerfed it, but now they are pointless. Even 50+ Faith, Lightning Dragon Chime +5 and half the charges as before and you can't do shit for damage.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really want my
Havel
, there's no reason I shouldn't / couldn't do
The Gutter
before the
Spider zone
(I forget the name, the one after
Door of Pharros
) correct? I'm probably already overlvled for most zones anyway (but it feels so good :3).

Which enemies? Red Phantom npc or something else?

Full mage was kinda easy mode...

The ghost guys that look like player ghosts, like the ones in shaded woods for example

You can't lock on to them, Greatsword stupid long reach sweep came in handy for them :)

Kinda wondering if I should have bought this on PS4. I got the PC version, but I've been so glued to my PS4 lately since Bloodborne and getting my Bravia that I can't imagine playing on my PC for a while. Kinda just want to sit here and play...

Which enemies? Red Phantom npc or something else?

Full mage was kinda easy mode...

The ghost guys that look like player ghosts, like the ones in shaded woods for example

You can't lock on to them, Greatsword stupid long reach sweep came in handy for them :)

Yeah, those.

Is really stupid, I understand if they had a really short lock-on distance, but if you're a mage, you're (almost*) fucked.

*You can use the binoculars to aim, but still very hard

Divius

Kinda wondering if I should have bought this on PS4. I got the PC version, but I've been so glued to my PS4 lately since Bloodborne and getting my Bravia that I can't imagine playing on my PC for a while. Kinda just want to sit here and play...
Hook your PC up to your Bravia, use your PS4 controller!

Ive never played Ds2, completed Ds1 and BB without using magic.
Would you recommand a Hex build as a beginner ? Are some spells available from the start ?
Not right from the start there's no Hexer starting class, but no magic starter class has much at the start other than one basic spell. All the basic magic trainers are available very early though, you'd only have to kill one very early, very easy boss to open all four magic paths up (by talking to the 4 NPCs). The magic and hex trainers have minimum stat requirements before they sell to you (same as DS1), so putting points into the required stats is the perfect use for the souls you get from killing said boss.

Go hexer if you want more offensive options, spells means more long range options, buffs etc. You can still have a melee weapon so it's a very flexible build and you get to play with all the tools the game has to offer on the same character.

Have any of the flask locations been changed or new ones added? They seem placed in the same areas so far but I'm guessing at least a few would have been shifted around.

Yes. There's one in the
tutorial area
now, for instance.

Oh cool! Not going to complain with having extra resources sitting on the doorstep. I doubt I'd have ever gone back to look for anything there either so probably would have missed it all together.

taoofjord

What are a few of the most fun weapons to use? I used a spear and shield that last time I played DS2 (and through all of DS1) and I'd like a change. It seems most people love the 2-handed great swords so maybe I should try that?

Jobbs

Banned
the moving of dull ember is one of many intelligent changes in this game. the original location of it was mystifying given what it is, when in the game you'd logically expect it, and how important it is.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Two quick questions:

1. Is there any way to get back to the upper parts of Tseldora if I've reached the fog gate of the boss of the area,
the Duke's Dear Freja
? If there's any way, I'm not seeing it. It's 1 AM here right now, though...

2. Is there any "checklist" of the "important" items and sidequests to get during a playthrough? Embers, souls, personal quests, things that change boss battles, etc. I'd love to be able to get a quick glance at something like that and see what I'm missing before moving forwards.

wutwutwut

What are a few of the most fun weapons to use? I used a spear and shield that last time I played DS2 (and through all of DS1) and I'd like a change. It seems most people love the 2-handed great swords so maybe I should try that?
The claymore is pretty damn awesome.

Top Bottom