• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Really not liking this "alerting one enemy alters the horde" deal they're doing in SotFS. In Iron Keep right now, and I aggro enemies that aren't even in my line of sight. See one on the bridge lure him out to a safer place to fight, turn around and see 3 other enemies that I had no idea were there. Challenging!

Also, what do these new NPC invasions do? Been invaded by
ForLorn
a couple times, and two new ones in Iron Keep. Do they have new drops?

tuna_love

Banned
Really not liking this "alerting one enemy alters the horde" deal they're doing in SotFS. In Iron Keep right now, and I aggro enemies that aren't even in my line of sight. See one on the bridge lure him out to a safer place to fight, turn around and see 3 other enemies that I had no idea were there. Challenging!

Also, what do these new NPC invasions do? Been invaded by
ForLorn
a couple times, and two new ones in Iron Keep. Do they have new drops?
Everytime you beat
forlorn
you unlock gear to buy at straid

MilkBeard

Just a tip about durability, as a dual wielder I haven't really had much issue at all with it. In power stance it seems the usage is less. Even without powerstance, you can just alternate with right>left>right, etc.

That limits your build options, but it makes your weapons last a lot longer.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if this has been posted yet but someone over on Reddit posted a durability fix for the DX11 version. Haven't tried it yet but might be worth a try for those people who are not enjoying this bug/feature.

So did they take out the ring of life protections and only leave the soul one? That's pretty sweet actually, repairing it was a huge garbage dump for your SM if you PVP at all anyway

Hey GAFfers, i'ma be streaming the ps4 version of SOTFS for a few hours, come say hello or talk souls/BB with me :D

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

Anyone know of a good beginners guide to this game? I'm just looking for something that explains what things are, mechanics, etc things like that. Dont want a walkthrough or anything.

Preferably with pictures.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So far preferring this to bloodborne, skipped it 1st time around. Maybe its the frame rate. Playing both on PS4

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
For anyone playing on the xbone how are the controls? Are the top bumpers block and primary or is it the triggers? And how does it feel?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone playing on the xbone how are the controls? Are the top bumpers block and primary or is it the triggers? And how does it feel?

I'm playing on PC with an XB1 controller. Bumpers are primary/block and triggers are power attack/parry. However, I downloaded a handy dandy program that allows me to flip those buttons, so I'm blocking/attacking with the triggers now, which feels great.

SRTtoZ

Fantastic game so far, about 6 hours in. So whats everyone doing with the Boss souls? I hoarded them back in vanilla but I never really bought anything with them. Wondering if I should just absorb them.

Also, since ive gotten the ring that helps with durablity I havent had an issue, but this time I'm running with 3 weapons just for fun, Fire Longsword +6, mace +6 and large club +6. I like the chance of pace each weapon gives.

BadTaste

I was in the area with the 2 Flame Salamanders before the Last Giant and I quickly looted the corpses in there while avoiding the 2 Salamanders. One corpse had Rebel's Greatshield and something else on it but I was too hasty in grabbing it that I didn't notice. I can't find what it is in my inventory either. What was it?

tuna_love

Banned
I was in the area with the 2 Flame Salamanders before the Last Giant and I quickly looted the corpses in there while avoiding the 2 Salamanders. One corpse had Rebel's Greatshield and something else on it but I was too hasty in grabbing it that I didn't notice. I can't find what it is in my inventory either. What was it?
A key for dlc or a flame defense ring

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fantastic game so far, about 6 hours in. So whats everyone doing with the Boss souls? I hoarded them back in vanilla but I never really bought anything with them. Wondering if I should just absorb them.

Also, since ive gotten the ring that helps with durablity I havent had an issue, but this time I'm running with 3 weapons just for fun, Fire Longsword +6, mace +6 and large club +6. I like the chance of pace each weapon gives.

For my playstyle unfortunately nothing matches the good old
Greatsword
, so most weapons you can get with them are useless to me. I got the
pursuer great shield
and not only is it not that great compared to what I already have (I'm not using it), the shield from
havel's set
destroys it (again for my style)

On top of that most of those weapons need petrified dragon bones to upgrade which aren't that plentiful.

I haven't been popping them for souls yet because I some really need a oils and i forget if you need them for something else. I know you need...giant souls or something?

A key for dlc or a flame defense ring

I didn't get any key down there, only rings and shit, and i cleared it :/

Don't consume them. They can be used to purchase weapons and spells later. You will need multiple copies to obtain them all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Remind me, does going down the well lead to anything other than the
gutter/gulch
and then you fuck off, or does it continue (not counting the dlc I'm saving that for the end)?

I stopped at
Brightstone Cove
earlier but I can't remember if that one is also a "dead end" or not. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, aren't both zones "dead ends" with the last 2 primal bonfires?

So it shouldn't matter which one I do right? I just want my
Havel
set :(

gutter/gulch
and then you fuck off, or does it continue (not counting the dlc I'm saving that for the end)?

I stopped at
Brightstone Cove
earlier but I can't remember if that one is also a "dead end" or not. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, aren't both zones "dead ends" with the last 2 primal bonfires?

Havel

They are "dead ends" in terms of area progression outside of dlc. The Primal Bonfires are the goal.

CISphil

Neo Member
gutter/gulch

I stopped at
Brightstone Cove

Havel

The well in Majula? There's a door about halfway down you need a certain item to open with some goodies inside. It also leads to the
Rat covenant... whatever their name is again.
But nothing essential otherwise.

Hugstable

Banned
gutter/gulch

I stopped at
Brightstone Cove

Havel

I want those items and it never seems like that big of a drop, but I die everytime I try. I wanna know what those damn items are!

Rhaknar

I want those items and it never seems like that big of a drop, but I die everytime I try. I wanna know what those damn items are!

There's a dude you find that
sets up 3 ladders from you to go down there safely

They are "dead ends" in terms of area progression outside of dlc. The Primal Bonfires are the goal.

I thought so! And level wise I'm already at 100 or so, so it doesn't really matter what zone I do now I think

Hugstable

Banned
Hey how do I blow open the crack in the wall with the bonfire behind it in Lost Bastille? I just through a Firebomb at it and heard an explosion, but nothing happened and the wall with the crack is still there.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Loving this right now, definitely seems a bit harder early on than I remember, just beat the last giant. Summoning seems much better too

tuna_love

Banned
Hey how do I blow open the crack in the wall with the bonfire behind it in Lost Bastille? I just through a Firebomb at it and heard an explosion, but nothing happened and the wall with the crack is still there.
That mummy guy rolls a barrel down. Or you can kill him and roll it yourself.

Rhaknar

The guy at the top of the stairs has a barrel. Roll yhat brrel down the stairs near the wall and then use a firebomb (or just hit it wit a weapon now maybe?)

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm playing on PC with an XB1 controller. Bumpers are primary/block and triggers are power attack/parry. However, I downloaded a handy dandy program that allows me to flip those buttons, so I'm blocking/attacking with the triggers now, which feels great.

Nice, probably can't change control setup on xb1 though can you?

TEH-CJ

Banned
I have tried to like this game but its god fucking awful. The level design is terrible, the enemies are cheap, the hitboxes are just beyond awful and the controls are unresponsive.

Coming from Bloodborne this seriously feels like its 2 gens behind. Even in comparison to demon souls.....its really fucking bad. I will try to stick with it and hope it gets better but I doubt it.

why am I fighting the controls? why are the controls so clunky and unresponsive? why can't a hit those bit turtle knights when they are stunned on the ground? I have to wait for him to get up, shake him self off and then I can continue to fight. Its fucking stupid.

There is so much wrong with this game on a fundamental level its mind blowing. This is coming from a massive Demon/ Dark souls fan.

njean777

So I just got done with no mans wharf, and got to lost Bastille but the door to the sentinels is blocked... So should I just go to sinners rise now or what? Also it seems branches are needed more now, is there somebody that sells them now?

I have tried to like this game but its god fucking awful. The level design is terrible, the enemies are cheap, the hitboxes are just beyond awful and the controls are unresponsive.

Coming from Bloodborne this seriously feels like its 2 gens behind. Even in comparison to demon souls.....its really fucking bad. I will try to stick with it and hope it gets better but I doubt it.

why am I fighting the controls? why are the controls so clunky and unresponsive? why can't a hit those bit turtle knights when they are stunned on the ground? I have to wait for him to get up, shake him self off and then I can continue to fight. Its fucking stupid.

There is so much wrong with this game on a fundamental level its mind blowing. This is coming from a massive Demon/ Dark souls fan.

Controls are fine to me, just have to adjust. What fundamental problems are there?

Rhaknar

So I just got done with no mans wharf, and got to lost Bastille but the door to the sentinels is blocked... So should I just go to sinners rise now or what? Also it seems branches are needed more now, is there somebody that sells them now?

Witch sells one, the vendor dude in iron keep sells another. The rest I've found along the way. That being said there was a chest I missed because I ran out but I'm sure I'll find more

Kalnos

Banned

Vendor in FOTFG sells one, there's one in the Bastille right around there IIRC.

Hugstable

Banned
Hmm did the NPC from Heides that sells the miracles move or soemthing? Wanted to go blow my souls on something, and she doesn't seem to be in Heide's Tower of Flame anymore?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Baffling to me, honestly. I fucking love the shit out of Dark Souls, its still my favorite, but just never had an issue adjusting to the controls of DS2. Never felt them unresponsive or clunky. I just don't know how to relate to that.

Kalnos

Banned
Hmm did the NPC from Heides that sells the miracles move or soemthing? Wanted to go blow my souls on something, and she doesn't seem to be in Heide's Tower of Flame anymore?

Go to Majula and then head back towards Heide's on foot and you will run into her on the way.

So how's the performance on ps4? Any significant (sub 50) frame drops?

There are plenty of performance analyses out there, from what I understand in their tests, only 1% of frames tested dropped below 60fps. I've got the game, I haven't perceived any drops whatsoever. The improved framerate, lighting, textures, contrast, DOF, and other little flourishes have really brought this game to life. I dreaded playing it on PS3 because of its lacking performance, but on PS4 it's finally the game I've been waiting to play all this time.

Is there a way to get the old enemy placements if we missed DSII the first time around? I think I'd like to play it both ways if I can.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Two weapons at +10 and I can't even kill a dragon in one of the DLC without both of them breaking...

If that's Sinh, its because you are hitting the wrong parts of his body. Hit his head/neck if you don't want his scales to break your gear. Its part of the fight.

tuna_love

Banned

You playing with your feet dude?

njean777

Well
lost sinner
was easier then I remember. Beat her my first try without lighting the two torches to help you see her. Also got a branch from her lol.

Jobbs

Banned
one of the of the giants at heide's tower just dropped "old knight ultra greatsword". has a moveset similar to zeihander from DS1. req 24str 10 dex, C str E dex scaling.

I don't remember this at all from original game.

Hugstable

Banned
Baffling to me, honestly. I fucking love the shit out of Dark Souls, its still my favorite, but just never had an issue adjusting to the controls of DS2. Never felt them unresponsive or clunky. I just don't know how to relate to that.

Yeah it feels like it controls better to me, if not more responsive on my PS4 due to being 60fps. The games level design is fine too, I'm honestly not seeing the hate for it. The new enemy placements are great too, and I haven't ran into anything I would call unfair yet.

Kazuhira

Oh well,time to visit the shittiest areas in the game: shaded woods, shaded ruins,doors of pharros and tseldora.
Let´s see what´s different with those places now.

Ghazi

one of the of the giants at heide's tower just dropped "old knight ultra greatsword". has a moveset similar to zeihander from DS1. req 24str 10 dex, C str E dex scaling.

I don't remember this at all from original game.

Pretty sure it was in, but really rare. That's a pretty lucky drop!

Top Bottom