• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

tuna_love

Banned
one of the of the giants at heide's tower just dropped "old knight ultra greatsword". has a moveset similar to zeihander from DS1. req 24str 10 dex, C str E dex scaling.

I don't remember this at all from original game.
Is its durability 20 like all there other shit?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ugh farming these Heide Knights at loW-level is painful. I just want that cool cape, is this so much to ask?

The white chest piece you mean?

I might or might not have gotten that on my first kill...

I did :/

I feel your pain tho, I farmed those Alonne knight captains in iron keep until they stopped spawning and the helm never dropped :(

ironcreed

Banned
Dat Huntsman's Copse.

Screenshot-Original.png

ExVicis

The white chest piece you mean?

I might or might not have gotten that on my first kill...

I did :/

I feel your pain tho, I farmed those Alonne knight captains in iron keep until they stopped spawning and the helm never dropped :(
See that's what's interesting. My first DSII run I got 3 sets of Alonne Captain's Armor. But man this Heide Armor is torture.

There is something very frustrating about this game. More so than other souls game. I love it but it feels a little cheaper to me. Maybe I'm just tired. Glad I picked it up again though.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Does Lucatiel still spawn for the first time at the bonfire at the start of no mans? I just got here and she's not here.

ExVicis

There is something very frustrating about this game. More so than other souls game. I love it but it feels a little cheaper to me. Maybe I'm just tired. Glad I picked it up again though.
It's the giant enemy overhead auto-track attacks maybe. It's what frustrated me a lot anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have I missed anything in Lucatiel's quest? I killed the
no mans wharf boss with her, some other I forgot (sinner maybe?) and then smelter demon. Do I need to kill anymore bosses with her
? I haven't seen her or her summon sign in awhile

purg3

slept with Malkin
no mans wharf boss with her, some other I forgot (sinner maybe?) and then smelter demon. Do I need to kill anymore bosses with her

black gulch boss

If you take her to 3 bosses and she doesn't die to any of them, you're good.

You can summon her for The Rotten in Black Gulch as well if you'd like though!

HeelPower

Yep, I'm finding it as tense as my first play-through with vanilla DS2. Enemies having an extended aggro-range plus the new enemy placements have caught me off-guard a few times and I'm only just past the second bonfire in FotFG.
I actually tried to
fight the Pursuer in the first encounter
, but I bitched out, then got destroyed anyway by the 5 or 6 enemies now up there...brutal.

The early game reminds me of how much I struggled initially with DS2. The fact you have a low amount of HP, combined with only a few charges of the Estus Flask makes the game really hard early on. Once you get 5+ Estus charges though, you're laughing.
I'm also trying dual-wielding this time. Am I stupid or what? Is this a legit way to play or will I get smacked down later on? It's tough, especially when you've played every Souls game so far with your shield up as you move around every corner. With vanilla DS2 I went the mace/Bastard sword + shield combo which saw me through NG+. I'll push on through for now. Game looks really good on PS4 too.

Dude I am in love with this game.

The added
pursuers
everywhere you don't expect are tons of fun.

My favorite addition so far is the
dragon
in Heide's Tower of Flame.Almost adds Demon's Souls-esque atmosphere to the place :D

Coming straight off of Bloodborne, it's just a much slower and more deliberate game and you don't have extremely forgiving parry windows or a nearly completely invincible dodge-step so you really have to play it differently. Bloodborne is very much a "stick and move" kinda game where in Dark Souls 2 you really have to plan your attack first and watch where you commit. At least until you level up your adaptation. I have my adaptation up to 25 and am playing a dual wield build so while still slower than Bloodborne, this aggressive style actually works really well. It just takes some stat commitment to get there.

Rhaknar

You guys reckon it's worth putting points into adapt even tho I'm fully tank / fat roll build? Maybe for the faster estus?

woah, playing a souls game at a decent frame rate is kind of disorienting at first.
i can't remember the game so i'm sucking pretty bad, pretty sure i chose the wrong starting stats for my preferred style of play.
the only thing annoying me though is the extremely low weapon durability.

BizzyBum

does AGL beyond 100 make no difference in item usage speed and rolling ?

I thought I read having AGL at 105 (which for me was at 32 points of ADP) gave you 13 iFrames which mimics DS1's rolls.

It's definitely worthwhile. Being able to time dodges so I don't get hit makes all the difference.

Also, No Man's Wharf with the new and improved lighting system...

227839420.gif

This is how DS2 was originally meant to be played.

Rhaknar

Even if I hate the amount of stats, in all fairness DS2 gives you souls like a hooker gives stds. I'm already at STR hard cap (50), END soft cap (20), and I passed VIT and VIG first soft caps and I'm on my way to their second soft cap (got 30 in both). And I still have a lot of game ahead of me, I can easily start pumping points into ADP.

Isn't the usual level that most people finish the game at around 125ish (compared to BB's 80-90ish), and that was before the dlcs

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I've spent some time in L
ost
B
astille
and I've fought R
uin
S
entinels
and
two Pursuers
. I also got the large club, the Wanderer set, and the Bracing Knuckle Ring. Is there anything else I'm missing in this area? Or should I move onto S
inner's
R
ise
?

Also I got cursed in one of my fights and I'm not sure what that means. It's clearly not like DS1 where your health is halved. So what's the deal with that?

ost
B
astille
and I've fought R
uin
S
entinels
and
two Pursuers
. I also got the large club, the Wanderer set, and the Bracing Knuckle Ring. Is there anything else I'm missing in this area? Or should I move onto S
inner's
R
ise
?

Also I got cursed in one of my fights and I'm not sure what that means. It's clearly not like DS1 where your health is halved. So what's the deal with that?

Cursed is the same as dying and becoming undead. You'll notice if you are human and get Cursed you turn undead. It keeps lowering your health the more you get cursed, I'm pretty sure you can end up with a tiny sliver of health.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Cursed is the same as dying and becoming undead. You'll notice if you are human and get Cursed you turn undead. It keeps lowering your health the more you get cursed, I'm pretty sure you can end up with a tiny sliver of health.

Yeah so technically I'm still human (at bonfires I have an option to reverse hollowing), but my face looks undead and my health is low. So what you're saying is the more I get cursed the more my health goes down...

How do I get rid of it?

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah so technically I'm still human (at bonfires I have an option to reverse hollowing), but my face looks undead and my health is low. So what you're saying is the more I get cursed the more my health goes down...

How do I get rid of it?

You're overcomplicating, cursed = you 'died' once, so you lose 5% max health and you're dead. That's all. Use a human effigy or soapstone coop your way back to life.

SRTtoZ

Just spent the past hour killing those 2
Giants
in the
Black Gulch
hidden area. Damn what a bitch.

Rhaknar

Just spent the past hour killing those 2
Giants
in the
Black Gulch
hidden area. Damn what a bitch.

I cheesed them in vanilla by hiding in the cave and luring them to me

Hugstable

Banned
ost
B
astille
and I've fought R
uin
S
entinels
and
two Pursuers
inner's
R
ise
?

You only lose a portion of your health like as if you died. Thankfully you don't need a special item or anything to cure curse this time like DS 1 lol

I was looking at some screens in the console screenshot thread and the game looks pretty dang good to me (visually).

Bloodborne is my first "Souls" experience and I'm loving it, and I'm contemplating on getting this. I realize mechanics have improved through BB since it's newer but what are the main differences I should be aware of if I choose to get this? Thanks guys.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This is what happens when you take a couple months off away from DaS2 and play Bloodborne. I have to get use to not being able to go all out for an attack.

11062425_10153166564766465_6792202672314397696_o.jpg

I really like the new enemy placement. It makes the game feel even more challenging.

tuna_love

Banned
I was looking at some screens in the console screenshot thread and the game looks pretty dang good to me (visually).

Bloodborne is my first "Souls" experience and I'm loving it, and I'm contemplating on getting this. I realize mechanics have improved through BB since it's newer but what are the main differences I should be aware of if I choose to get this? Thanks guys.
Stamina and equipment management is the main thing. Also there's no insight!

It seems my copy is waiting for me to go and pick it up.

This will be my first time playing Dark Souls. I do know the "basics" from Bloodborne and in some lenght from Lords of the Fallen, but for the most part, I'm going in blind (and I like it).

Is it possible to make a paladin archetype character? I'm thinking heavy armor, huge shield, maybe a hammer or sword and healing/holy/light magic. So starting class would be warrior, knight or cleric? Would this be viable? I'm not looking to min-max, but if this would totally suck, I'd like to know.

There seems to be a lot more attributes in this game. What attributes should I focus if I'm going for this kind of character build?

Hugstable

Banned

Definitely check it out and Dark Souls 1 if you have a PC (I hope they bring Demons to PSNow or remaster it sometime, don't think Dark 1 will thought). It's a slower game, but there is alot of build variety that give the game tons of ways to be played. Shield is really useful here as you can block and learn the enemies attack patterns, patience really pays off. I'm really enjoying the new enemy placements so far and think it's better than vanilla was, and the PS4 port has been running really smooth 60fps for me and I don't think it's ever dropped (I heard the XB1 port was just as good too in framerate). The basics of the gameplay and exploration are still there though, except here you have Estus Flasks that are healing items which are refilled everytime you rest at a bonfire (this games version of the lamps from BB). You start out with a lowly 1 Estus Flask, but as you find shards you can get more and more. This is also helped by having healing gems that are consumables that you find in the world which heal you also, kinda like the vials, but they heal at a way slower rate than the estus flask does. With weapons you can fight in 1-handed mode using a shield, or go right into 2-handed mode putting away the shield to do more damage. I haven't gotten far into the game myself (about like 10 hours in) but I'm really enjoying what I'm playing, even after coming off 2 completions of Bloodborne. The framerate is sooo goooood tho.

Top Bottom