• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Zocano

I'm getting invaded in NG and it's amazing. This is Dark Souls for me, none of that wait until NG+ or only behind coop invasion bullshit.

I even beat Wharf and got invaded on my return after while I was looking for people to invade with cracked.

My guardian ring has worked a few times too, as well as the cracked blue eye orbs even at a lower level. So glad they made it easier for reds to invade.

The biggest problem is still that the invasion items are too rare early on. No reason for them to be that rare.

All the NPC invasions are still a nice touch, though.

Shinjica

I'm getting invaded in NG and it's amazing. This is Dark Souls for me, none of that wait until NG+ or only behind coop invasion bullshit.

I even beat Wharf and got invaded on my return after while I was looking for people to invade with cracked.

My guardian ring has worked a few times too, as well as the cracked blue eye orbs even at a lower level. So glad they made it easier for reds to invade.

You can buy red cracked orbs in NG?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Calling it at
Brightstone
for now, did
gutter/gulch
and got my
havel
stuff anyway :) I forgot how heavy it was lol >_>

I seem low on estus, only have 6, and I've been looking for as many secrets as I can :/

raviolico

So i just watched the Face Off on Eurogamer...does the X1 really suffer frequently from beefy framerate drops in the game (to low 50s/mid40s) ? Or is it just rare and occasional...?

Ayt

Banned
Calling it at
Brightstone
for now, did
gutter/gulch
and got my
havel
stuff anyway :) I forgot how heavy it was lol >_>

I seem low on estus, only have 6, and I've been looking for as many secrets as I can :/

Estus is much more spread out now which is a great change that hasn't been mentioned very much, IMO.

Victrix

*beard*
Estus is much more spread out now which is a great change that hasn't been mentioned very much, IMO.

I thought it was pretty horrible honestly, it made the early game nightmarish, and then you pass a certain point and it gets easier and more forgiving of mistakes.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I can't find the way to second and third bonfires in Brightstone Cove Tseldora. Meh.

Also, I've been using a Claymore (+8 for now) for most of the game. I just found the Mastodon Greatsword. It looks like a beefier Claymore with better STR scaling. Should I make the switch? Or maybe infuse one of the two with elemental power?

So i just watched the Face Off on Eurogamer...does the X1 really suffer frequently from beefy framerate drops in the game (to low 50s/mid40s) ? Or is it just rare and occasional...?

It does suffer, i can confirm i have the X1 version.
Depending how sensitive you are to it, it might be a problem.

Really wish From would patch in a option to res to 900p or 1080PR for a more
stable 60fps on the X1 or fixed 1080p@30fps.

Edit: started using spears and rerolled a bandit didn't knew DS had spears :)

TEH-CJ

Banned
Put more hours into this and still find it terrible. All the praise its getting will always be baffling to me. Its not difficult......its cheap for the sake of artificially increasing the difficulty and its frustrating. There is not a moment I enjoy playing this game.

addyb

Put more hours into this and still find it terrible. All the praise its getting will always be baffling to me. Its not difficult......its cheap for the sake of artificially increasing the difficulty and its frustrating. There is not a moment I enjoy playing this game.

Interesting. I'm really enjoying it and not found it cheap yet. I'm 7-8 bosses in.

Rektash

Huh, quite honestly the only part where I legit thought the game was beeing cheap was in
Dragon Aerie
. Infinte stamina spamming knights + the A
ncient
D
ragon
was very hard to enjoy.

fwpx

eUoK4su.jpg

NO AMOUNT OF DARK SOULS CAN WITHSTAND THE MAGNIFICENCE OF ALEX LOUIS ARMSTRONG, THE STRONGARM ALCHEMIST

I'm having a lot of fun punching shit.

Mandelbo

I've got a couple of questions about the new enemy placement. I know that there're a hell of a lot more of them now, but are there many points where large groups of enemies aggro as one? That was something that irritated me in the original, but what with how I'm hearing the tree in the FotFG works now I'm wondering if they changed anywhere else. Could you, for instance, use a bow to draw enemies away to fight them one at a time?
Also, I know that items from the DLC are now strewn across the main game, but are DLC enemies now in the main game too? Did they also change enemy layouts in the DLC areas themselves?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Woah, I never realized you could dual wield caestusses (caestusi?), I need to try that.

Powerstancing them is great too! Also don't forget to apply the same amazement at the later Bone Fists! Although, trust me, the grind to get the Vanquisher's Seal is worth it, and just powerstance barehanding everything is crazy!

Did the good ole' Mundane infusion on my two Red Caestus for my SL1 char I'm testng (exploit used to make all reskinned weapons drop from the Majula chest in the DX9 ver, NOT a "cheat" in any way, can also be done offline over and over), basically it drops ALL reskinned weapons unreleased or not in the Majula chest. So far, the unreleased ones are the Black Rapier, Gold Greataxe and Red Caestus.

Info on how to do this (on the DX9 ver at least) will be released probably soon, with a whole lot more too. ;) Although, anybody who is using this basically totally modified version WILL be banned on Steam (aka "restrictions placed on your account" by Fromsoftware killing any online play) unless they use our dedicated servers we got up. Nothing is being done with Scholar except the "visual elements", which will probably result in a ban too, but we've tested and tested and finally near finished everything we set out to do with DX9 ver and we're burnt out, so if players want to play the "vanilla" Souls experience with the new visuals (bring your GTX 760+ GPU's+8GBDDR3+ for both versions) than they can with Scholar, otherwise the DX9 modded version is a completely different game at this point.

@Edit - Shout out to Wickfut for the link, it does work beautifully, tested on a couple accounts including my own and no ban yet. So until our modded DSII is shown then released publicly, this is the best option everybody has if they want to eliminate the annoying durability issue. But just be aware, it is possible to be banned for it, since Fromsoft's server team tends to just ban people for sneezing the wrong way all the time.

Divius

I'm beating bosses and clearing areas but it does not really feel like I am making progress plot-wise. That
poisonous windmill
level was the worst. Also it feels like I am beating all the bosses on the first try just by using the ol' dark souls combat logic (strafe and dodge and attack once or twice after the boss swings and misses)

I'm beating bosses and clearing areas but it does not really feel like I am making progress plot-wise. That
poisonous windmill
level was the worst. Also it feels like I am beating all the bosses on the first try just by using the ol' dark souls combat logic (strafe and dodge and attack once or twice after the boss swings and misses)

its dark souls

Divius

Fair enough :D

Already looking forward to my second playthrough where I actually get to use a wiki and find out just what the hell is going on.

ironcreed

Banned
fuck off with having a statue in front of the gulch bonfire

these random statues are annoying me because im not finding THAT many new fragrants :/

Same thing I said last night when I ran into the one at
Lost Bastille.
Right in the way of my main progress, so now I have to leave and find another branch.

theDeeDubs

Decided to go Mace/Pyro. Farmed the big knights in
Heidi
for enough souls to buy a
cat ring
and headed straight for
The Gutter
. Luckily the dark pyro flame is in the same spot. Seems about as close to starting off as a pyro as I can get in DS2. I'm using a shield sparingly, but mainly it's mace in main and pyro in offhand. Will drop the shield completely once I get my agil to 100.

And wow parrying is soooo much easier at 60fps. It also feels like they've adjusted some of the attacks by trash mobs. They don't seem to spam attacks out of nowhere like they did in vanilla (
Heidi knights sure as hell still do ;P
). I know going back to NG can give you a Neo in the Matrix feeling, but it's been a while since I've played so I wasn't expecting it to hit so soon. It's either some AI adjustments or the framerate bump.

*Not sure what's considered a spoiler at this point so figured it was better to be cautious.

Everyone else must be wrong then!

Kazuhira

The pursuer is starting to give me a "nemesis" feel now.
He appeared in Things Betwixt now,
i´ve killed him 6 times so far and i hope this mofo drops some cool stuff in the last fight.

So what does everybody think, is it worth a rebuy? I bought the original on PC and will prob buy this on PC if people really recommend it. I may get it for XBO/PS4 if my friend doesnt get it again though. Ill play Bloodborne in the meantime, which btw not sure why they released these so close together.....

ironcreed

Banned
So what does everybody think, is it worth a rebuy? I bought the original on PC and will prob buy this on PC if people really recommend it. I may get it for XBO/PS4 if my friend doesnt get it again though. Ill play Bloodborne in the meantime, which btw not sure why they released these so close together.....

Definitely. They have changed around so much. Think of it as Dark Souls II remixed at 1080p, 60 fps and with improved lighting where torches are needed. I am getting surprised left and right.

I think I might pick it up when it's sub $20 at some undefined point in the future, but that's my bar for most games. DS2 is one of the few games I paid $60 for new, and I regret it even though I loved the game. No game is worth that much, let alone a port/GOTY Edition/whatever you call this, but I'm a stingy old fool.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Thanks so much. Very informative and helpful buddy. I'm not too fussed about invading I was just confused as to the whole setup. If I did decide I want to turn invader which is the best covenant to join?

brotherhood of blood

join by talking to the guy after the
chariot
boss

you'll need a token of spite (reward for invading and killing another player with cracked red eye orb) to join.

sublimit

Banned
So i recently got the game and managed to find the time to play a bit yesterday.I put down my summon sign outside of the first boss area and many people were summoning me that had small armies of white ghosts.If i remember correctly one of them had 4 (!) white ghosts(including myself)?Same happened outside the Pursuer area.It was ridiculous. :p What is the maximum number of white phantoms a host can summon? Invaders will have a seriously hard time this time around.

Anyway as someone who only played the PS3 version i was very impressed by the huge improvements in performance and graphics.Even the animations,particularly the "sliding feet while running" seems to have improved.It actually looks good now.Also it's incredible how fast after i get summoned my character appears in a host's world.Really enjoying it so far and can't wait to see all the changes as well as experiencing the DLC (which i didn't got for the PS3 version.)

ironcreed

Banned
So what are you supposed to do when all your starting weapons have lost all durability and are broken? I can't find a new weapon anywhere.

Buy a repair powder from the blacksmith if you have not found any or rest at a bonfire.

I swear, I am not just not having this problem at all. Durability does not seem that different from where it was on PS3 for me. I keep an eye on the red bar and repair or switch weapons if I have to. Hell, there is even a loading screen that tells you not to be caught without repair powder, or you only have yourself to blame.

Top Bottom