• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

zewone

It's nice to go back to multplayer that actually works in this game and not just part time. I love Bloodborne, but it is what it is. Summon signs obliterate ringing your little bell and waiting to get lucky.

Oh, it's also nice to have bloodstains that function properly as well. Loving coming back to this with all of the surprises and upgrades.

I'm just looking forward to PVP worth investing time into. It's way too hard to do invasions in BB and if I'm having trouble finding a victim I can always head to the arena.

There has been a durability fix posted on Reddit by someone who apparently has some history with modding Dark Souls 2. This is what the readme of his fix says:

So it appears FROM changed weapon damage in SotFS to not apply based on framerate, but to specifically apply double the damage that the PS3/360 versions had. In other words, FROM did fix the issue of having weapon damage calculate based on framerate, but they canonized the original PC version's degradation speed.

This makes me think that this is the intended behavior. In any case, if you want your weapons to degrade slower, then you can always download this fix for the DX11 version. Unclear yet whether you will get a softban for using it though.
So they literally went "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I can't believe they didn't fix the durability problem. That is ridiculous. No way I'm getting this until I've heard it's fixed.

they give you extra weapon slots and weapons get repaired for free at bonfires. Just carry a repair powder or two around for emergencies and you'll be fine

ironcreed

Banned
they give you extra weapon slots and weapons get repaired for free at bonfires. Just carry a repair powder or two around for emergencies and you'll be fine

And they even tell you to do this in a loading screen as a reminder, lol. It says you only have yourself to blame if you get caught without a repair powder. One of the same old loading screens that has always been there. But even then, I only need one every now and then, as I usually make it to a bonfire. Same as when I played it on PS3.

phoenixyz

Oh man, this is ridiculous. I just lost 20k souls because the retarded 20 or so dogs after them got me stuck in a crate. Highly polished remake.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ugh, I need my computer fixed pronto, I wanna go join the Blue Sentinels stat and invade me some sinners. Speaking of which, is it easier to farm blue cracked orbs now?

trw

Anyone? I don't want to drop $30 if I don't have to.

I definitely think the upgrade is worth it. Every change seems well thought out and some things like the Pursuer changes makes it feel like a great remix version and I'm enjoying this playthrough almost as much as the first one. If you already own the original version I don't think you can get the discount from any other store than from steam directly sadly.

addyb

kill the one on the platform first, if he falls off hes gonna jump back up right where he fell off. Then try to divide and conquer the two when the other jumps on the platform.

Its not easy.

First boss I beat first time this one. Was dreading it as I heard it was tough but like you said took the first one out and the next 2 is just about patience. Take your time, keep leading them round and try and get them to attack at the same time. Then dodge/block get 1-2 hits in and then repeat.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I wish we can go back to arguing about the lighting and texture composition again. This durability bug circle-jerk just isn't as entertaining.

The problem with durability in ds2 is how much more durable some weapons are than others.

Playing on PC as DW falchions and DW bandit axes I never had any problem with them breaking, when I finished I respecced to dw dark darkblades and used the respawn boss item for the big bell guy and double pursuers, this weapon broke on both of them and I had to use spell casting.

So yeah I'd never pve with that weapon cuz its so fragile, which is kinda lame IMO.
Oh man, this is ridiculous. I just lost 20k souls because the retarded 20 or so dogs after them got me stuck in a crate. Highly polished remake.

Happens in every soul game, died in demons souls yesterday because my character got stuck on a piece of geometry while fighting a couple blue knights.

I always thought the durability issue was that hitting corpses/walls could trigger durability loss multiple times, causing massive losses on seemingly harmless swings. I remember the Halberd being particularly bad for that. Does that still happen?

Hugstable

Banned
Time to check out Undead Purgatory!

Concerning strength builds, what's a good stopping point when upgrading vigor, endurance, and adaptability?

I believe END caps at 20, ADP try to make sure you get over 100 agility, vigor I'm not so sure on.

Yes, cause this never happens in other souls games lol

I'm 18 hours in and I haven't had a single durability problem or ever needed a repair powder as long as I keep 2 weapons with me. It's a stupid bug, but it's not really a big deal and pretty much nonexistant is you use 2 weapons.

ACE 1991

I definitely think the upgrade is worth it. Every change seems well thought out and some things like the Pursuer changes makes it feel like a great remix version and I'm enjoying this playthrough almost as much as the first one. If you already own the original version I don't think you can get the discount from any other store than from steam directly sadly.

Okay, thanks. I'll probably grab it once I am able to tear myself away from Pillars of Eternity.

EDIT: Once I do get it, what kind of builds do you guys find being the most fun/diverse/not incredibly difficult? I was thinking of running a sword and board/spellcaster hybrid, how would I go about this? What starting class should I choose, what gift (or whatever the thing you chose at the beginning is called)?

phoenixyz

It is highly polished, but weird shit like that can sometimes happen in all of the Souls games.

Happens in every soul game, died in demons souls yesterday because my character got stuck on a piece of geometry while fighting a couple blue knights.

Yes, cause this never happens in other souls games lol
Really? In both Demon's and Dark Souls I never died because I got stuck in an object. Because of the camera/targeting, yea sure, but not because of this.

Neoweee

I believe END caps at 20, ADP try to make sure you get over 100 agility, vigor I'm not so sure on.

There are a bunch of soft caps, but hard caps for stats are much higher. Early game ADP is awesome, but later game casters can respect and stack Attunement instead.

Okay, thanks. I'll probably grab it once I am able to tear myself away from Pillars of Eternity.

EDIT: Once I do get it, what kind of builds do you guys find being the most fun/diverse/not incredibly difficult? I was thinking of running a sword and board/spellcaster hybrid, how would I go about this? What starting class should I choose, what gift (or whatever the thing you chose at the beginning is called)?

Cleric and Faith build used to be really good for a melee/spellcaster build but I think they nerfed the shit out of lightning spear (healing miracles and stat scaling might still be good). Really disappointing because I love faith builds.

Needlecrash

Man, I had a crazy time last night playing this. I haven't gotten as far as the next person but it's man this game just makes me even more intrigued. More things that are new in this version than the previous:

The Dull Ember is now found in one of the two chests immediately entering the The Lost Bastille post The Pursuer fight instead of being located in Iron Keep.

I get to the Bastille and while opening one of the chests, THE FUCKING PURSUER SHOWS UP; with a slightly different appearance. I didn't want to deal with him then so I ran away and he just went away.

So, there is a red dragon next to the drawbridge for the Old Dragonslayer boss. Um....

This new enemy placement has really been keeping me on my toes. Same with the item placement. Now, if only the weapon durability issue can get fixed...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Cleric and Faith build used to be really good for a melee/spellcaster build but I think they nerfed the shit out of lightning spear (healing miracles and stat scaling might still be good). Really disappointing because I love faith builds.

Lightning spears aren't as good (but still reasonable) but the buffs and healing are all still top notch.

Man, the delay on using an Estus Flask is fucking obnoxious. Was it like this in original DS2? I don't remember being this annoyed by it, but maybe I've been spoiled by bloodborne's near instant Blood Vial usage.

Braag

Did they nerf the ancient dragons fire breath? I managed to kill it on my first try and felt like the fire breath was much easier to avoid than in the original. I might be imagining it and got lucky cause it usually takes me a few tries.

And I really hope Forlorn would stop invading me T_T

Is the super meat boy style, multiple ghosts at once thing a new addition? I don't remember that in the vanilla game.

Man, the delay on using an Estus Flask is fucking obnoxious. Was it like this in original DS2? I don't remember being this annoyed by it, but maybe I've been spoiled by bloodborne's near instant Blood Vial usage.

Yes. You can put points into ADP to speed it up, but not by much. If you want to heal during combat, try lifegems.

Mogwai

Is there a clever way to cheese the pilgrim of the dark caves? I'm at the second one in black gulch and they're just ridiculous.

I'm on the fence right now, I don't know if I should stick to my pre-order of MKX or buy DS2:SotFS. Playing Bloodborne right now and I know once I'm done I'll need another souls experience, it is like an addiction. I'm new to the series. What should I do?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on the fence right now, I don't know if I should stick to my pre-order of MKX or buy DS2:SotFS. Playing Bloodborne right now and I know once I'm done I'll need another souls experience, it is like an addiction. I'm new to the series. What should I do?

I can only give you my experience, but I played through half of Dark Souls 1 and really enjoyed it. I quit after the halfway mark because I found the levels took a nosedive, but I've been jonesing for another Souls experience and picked up SotFS having never played DSII.

So far I'm enjoying this a lot more than DS1. I think it's partly due to how much more approachable the game is: more bonfires, you can teleport between bonfires from the start, co-op is a lot faster and easier in case you need help with an area/boss, there are more consumable healing items which makes combat less tedious yet still strategic.

The good thing about SotFS is that it is packed with content. I just beat my fourth area yesterday and I'm about ~13 hours in. Granted I'm taking my sweet time exploring and doing co-op, but I feel like the game will take me at least 50 hours on my first playthrough. I certainly intend to go back and try new classes and NG+ once I'm done as well.

It's a lot slower than Bloodborne though, so that will be something you will have to get used to if you take the plunge.

Nephtes

So, there is a red dragon next to the drawbridge for the Old Dragonslayer boss. Um....

Ugh...yes. Took so many tries to figure out how to get past that without dying. I cleared the area enough times all the guys on the way there stopped spawning. D:

M.D

Bought the game and downloading now
Do I need some sort of mod like the first game or is it good out of the box?

Also, I'm going into this blind without reading anything, but would like to know if there are anything I should be aware of still? Anything that is drastically different than Demon's/Dark Souls that I should be aware of?

addyb

Ugh...yes. Took so many tries to figure out how to get past that without dying. I cleared the area enough times all the guys on the way there stopped spawning. D:

Lol me too. I think only 2 big knights are present there now.
one outside dragonrider and the one guarding the switch.

I did cheese the Dragon though. Kind of felt justified after my pain and anguish getting through all that after multiple attempts. Seriously spent a couple of hours on that bit.

I can only give you my experience, but I played through half of Dark Souls 1 and really enjoyed it. I quit after the halfway mark because I found the levels took a nosedive, but I've been jonesing for another Souls experience and picked up SotFS having never played DSII.

So far I'm enjoying this a lot more than DS1. I think it's partly due to how much more approachable the game is: more bonfires, you can teleport between bonfires from the start, co-op is a lot faster and easier in case you need help with an area/boss, there are more consumable healing items which makes combat less tedious yet still strategic.

The good thing about SotFS is that it is packed with content. I just beat my fourth area yesterday and I'm about ~13 hours in. Granted I'm taking my sweet time exploring and doing co-op, but I feel like the game will take me at least 50 hours on my first playthrough. I certainly intend to go back and try new classes and NG+ once I'm done as well.

It's a lot slower than Bloodborne though, so that will be something you will have to get used to if you take the plunge.

Thanks for the input!!

addyb

I can infuse a weapon with fire now. Already infused my falchion with magic so not sure what to use this for.

Kurtofan

So how can I get on this pirate ship I found? Also I found a bonfire blocked by a statue guy, but I'm fresh out of fragant of yore.

Tarkus

Ok thanks. So only infuse maybe the weaker of my arsenal?
I wouldn't say weaker is the word. Infused weapons with poorer scaling are better weapons to mess around with than something with an S scaling because you will always lose a grade with infusion. For example, I wouldn't infuse a Blacksteel Katana and lose its S scaling for split infusion damage. But I would infuse a Claymore and reduce its C DEX scaling to a D, in favor of gaining a B in Dark scaling. I know this is hard to understand at times.

Mandelbo

I think I've messed up a bit then. I infused my B scaling falchion with magic so have I nerfed it?

It doesn't matter - if you feel you've messed it up, you can revert infusions with palestone. Any other upgrades to the weapon remain intact.

Top Bottom