• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

zewone

I can't believe they didn't fix the glitch that causes 60fps to break weapons faster than they should. This is something that affects gameplay constantly. I feel it should have been a top priority.

Load times fine on ps4? Didn't occur to me when I ordered it for PS4, but are they similar to PC?

Just to clarify, durability is same as pc version? I didn't have a problem with that. Daggers did break pretty quick though.

sublimit

Banned
^Coming from the PS3 version yeah they seem very fast to me.

I think weapons tend to break slightly more faster this time (compared to the PS3 version) but with so many weapons in my equipment it really isn't a problem.If you're having troubles just upgrade 2 weapons instead of one and switch between them.
Also i only did the forest area (
beat the Giant and the Pursuer
) and i already have 2 repair powders.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Buy a repair powder from the blacksmith if you have not found any or rest at a bonfire.

I swear, I am not just not having this problem at all. Durability does not seem that different from where it was on PS3 for me. I keep an eye on the red bar and repair or switch weapons if I have to. Hell, there is even a loading screen that tells you not to be caught without repair powder, or you only have yourself to blame.

It is making one of my friends not want to continue playing. It is really annoying for some of the starting classes.

void666

Banned
Put more hours into this and still find it terrible. All the praise its getting will always be baffling to me. Its not difficult......its cheap for the sake of artificially increasing the difficulty and its frustrating. There is not a moment I enjoy playing this game.

I agree with you. And i'm not a newcomer. I've played through the game two times before.
But after coming from bloodborne i'm finding DS2 lacking in everything (but diversity).

Navy Bean

Load times fine on ps4? Didn't occur to me when I ordered it for PS4, but are they similar to PC?

Just to clarify, durability is same as pc version? I didn't have a problem with that. Daggers did break pretty quick though.

Coming from Bloodborne I was thrilled with how quickly everything loads... Especially because I tend to zip back to home base frequently.

ACE 1991

What's the overall verdict on this game? I picked up Dark Souls II (PC) when it first came out but found myself spending more time on other games. Is the upgrade worth it, (I don't have the DLCs) and is there a place I can get it online at a significant discount?

Navy Bean

I agree with you. And i'm not a newcomer. I've played through the game two times before.
But after coming from bloodborne i'm finding DS2 lacking in everything (but diversity).

I'm just the opposite...playing this just reinforces my opinion that Bloodborne is my least favorite of the Souls' games. It's still a great game but I just prefer almost every aspect of the Souls games more (except the shotgun parrying, I miss that...).

Mogwai

The very least they could do is double the durability of all weapons in the 60fps versions of the game.
You don't lose durability 2x all the time. It doesn't work like that.

Doubling durability would enable experienced players to get the weapons to last forever.

ExVicis

I just can't get these Heide Knights to drop their chest piece, I've been at this for so long I'm getting tired. Is this the only place Heide Knights appear in the game now?

You have a very long way to go. A long, long way.

What was the last boss you killed?

Just killed
Executioners Chariot
and I talk to some short guy but there doesnt seem to be anything left for me to do here so Im back in Majula now.

And Im happy to know I still got a long way to go, Im loving this game!

This feels so much harder than Bloodborne. I can't get past the first room with more than one enemy lol.
The knight enemies after the tutorial, I went through the sewer from the first settlement.
Combat feels way way less forgiving than BB.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Makes me super happy to see all the new players enjoying this fantastic game :D. Seems Namco made the right call doing a remaster, my selfish side thinks it's gonna help a ton with getting a sequel greenlit as well.

And I really can't wait for a sequel by the same team after the amazing DLC they put out

Just killed
Executioners Chariot
and I talk to some short guy but there doesnt seem to be anything left for me to do here so Im back in Majula now.

And Im happy to know I still got a long way to go, Im loving this game!

Good deal! Our of curiosity, how many primal bonfires have you lit?

UnrealEck

You don't lose durability 2x all the time. It doesn't work like that.
Doubling durability would enable experienced players to get the weapons to last forever.

They could use some sort of figure. 1.5x or whatever. Anything's a start but they just seem too disinterested in it. FROM can be a really dissapointing developer in many ways. They just make such stupid mistakes and leave them be.

Buy a repair powder from the blacksmith if you have not found any or rest at a bonfire.

I swear, I am not just not having this problem at all. Durability does not seem that different from where it was on PS3 for me. I keep an eye on the red bar and repair or switch weapons if I have to. Hell, there is even a loading screen that tells you not to be caught without repair powder, or you only have yourself to blame.

The durability is a problem in the game. Its not game breaking, but its bothersome. Shit just breaks too fast and you need the ring to make it manageable.

Hmm... Im going to assume primal bonfires look different than normal bonfires? Cus all of the bonfires I have lit so far have all looked like normal bonfires! So none Im guessing lol

They look similar, but there's a certain effect - you'll know it when it happens.

With that knowledge, I feel pretty confident saying you still have quite some ways to go before the game really reveals itself.

I'd guess you're potentially 20%-30% or so complete. :-D

They look similar, but there's a certain effect - you'll know it when it happens.

With that knowledge, I feel pretty confident saying you still have quite some ways to go before the game really reveals itself.

I'd guess you're potentially 20%-30% or so complete. :-D

Whoa :D thats awesome! lol Thanks!

ACE 1991

What's the overall verdict on this game? I picked up Dark Souls II (PC) when it first came out but found myself spending more time on other games. Is the upgrade worth it, (I don't have the DLCs) and is there a place I can get it online at a significant discount?

Anyone? I don't want to drop $30 if I don't have to.

Perhaps they will release a fix, but it is just not affecting me thus far. That is all I can say.

I had my broadsword break on the way to the third bonfire (where you find the merchant). I only killed the mobs from the valley to there and it broke. Thats just too fast.

zewone

I was doing bell bros. invasions and my random bell bro and i had the same gesture in mind ,lol.

The timing couldn't have been anymore perfect if we planned it.

EjX8PQa.gif

ironcreed

Banned
I had my broadsword break on the way to the third bonfire (where you find the merchant). I only killed the mobs from the valley to there and it broke. Thats just too fast.

I started as a knight with the same weapon and suffered no breaks and did not avoid enemies. Further, I have had zero breaks in general after 7 hours so far and am now using a mace +3. *shrugs*

I can't believe they didn't fix the durability problem. That is ridiculous. No way I'm getting this until I've heard it's fixed.

It is seriously, honestly, not a problem. There are maybe 2-3 areas in the entire game where you may need to switch to another weapon before the next bonfire due to breaking. It will not be fixed because it's working as intended, as in you have to at least slightly pay attention to durability versus never worrying about it (which is apparently what many people would prefer but negates its purpose entirely).

It's getting completely blown out of proportion and I feel like I'm not drinking the kool-aid or something.

I started as a knight with the same weapon and suffered no breaks and did not avoid enemies. Further, I have had zero breaks in general after 7 hours so far and am now using a mace +3. *shrugs*

Same here. I've at a couple weapons come close and I merely switched for the remaining 6-7 enemies before the next bonfire. I've used the broadsword, shortsword, claymore, greatsword, daggers, etc etc.

ironcreed

Banned
It is seriously, honestly, not a problem. There are maybe 2-3 areas in the entire game where you may need to switch to another weapon before the next bonfire due to breaking. It will not be fixed because it's working as intended, as in you have to at least slightly pay attention to durability versus never worrying about it (which is apparently what many people would prefer but negates its purpose entirely).

It's getting completely blown out of proportion and I feel like I'm not drinking the kool-aid or something.

this_compilation.gif

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
once they fix the weapon degredation bug i'll buy it. thankfully i've still got plenty of bloodborne to play.

There has been a durability fix posted on Reddit by someone who apparently has some history with modding Dark Souls 2. This is what the readme of his fix says:

Dark Souls II would damage your weapons based on your framerate. SotFS will just apply the damage twice regardless.

So it appears FROM changed weapon damage in SotFS to not apply based on framerate, but to specifically apply double the damage that the PS3/360 versions had. In other words, FROM did fix the issue of having weapon damage calculate based on framerate, but they canonized the original PC version's degradation speed.

This makes me think that this is the intended behavior. In any case, if you want your weapons to degrade slower, then you can always download this fix for the DX11 version. Unclear yet whether you will get a softban for using it though.

I've experienced lots of breaks, but then again I was using a "broken short sword". I think it's just compounded by the already really weak weapons you get early on. As you start picking up better weapons, and leveling them up, it should likely improve.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
One of the new traps caught me and a few others by surprise it seems.

Four of us dying at the exact same time:

lkqZpSV.gif

Oh my fucking god :lol. So you can see three player ghosts at a time now? And you all fall down at the same time, that's hilarious.
Keep your gifs coming, they are great.

M.D

What's the verdict on the First Sin edition? did they make good changes? I played the DLC of the first game and really want to play more Dark Souls now

I would really like to play it on PS4 but seeing as I'm not likely to buy one soon, there's no choice but to buy the PC version
Is it a good port or needs modding and stuff like the first one?

One of the new traps caught me and a few others by surprise it seems.

Four of us dying at the exact same time:

lkqZpSV.gif

There's that one hole in the poison gas area that has so many bloodstains around it. There's like 12 ghosts all falling into it at once :D hilarious

Captcha

Did they change the spells at all since the nerf? I remember crystal soul spear being essentialy useless the last time I played (which was when the 2nd DLC hit). Deciding if I want to just go pure melee this time out.

zewone

Oh my fucking god :lol. So you can see three player ghosts at a time now? And you all fall down at the same time, that's hilarious.
Keep your gifs coming, they are great.

I laughed pretty hard when it happened.

It's really nice to have built in video capture for a game like this. I look forward to many more cool moments.

ironcreed

Banned
It's nice to go back to multplayer that actually works in this game and not just part time. I love Bloodborne, but it is what it is. Summon signs obliterate ringing your little bell and waiting to get lucky.

Oh, it's also nice to have bloodstains that function properly as well. Loving coming back to this with all of the surprises and upgrades.

Top Bottom