• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Nephtes

Lol me too. I think only 2 big knights are present there now.
one outside dragonrider and the one guarding the switch.

I did cheese the Dragon though. Kind of felt justified after my pain and anguish getting through all that after multiple attempts. Seriously spent a couple of hours on that bit.

I didn't... I
ran in there, juked to the right and rolled to avoid the fire and chopped him down at the legs
proper. :)

addyb

Falchion is an A scaling at +10. I would not infuse that weapon because of what you would lose.

Is it? So at +10 the B would change to an A?
I'll have a look and see if I have a palestone.

Ok since I'm now asking is it pointless to infuse a weapon with something it's already got properties in?

So basically if I had a sword with a fire element would it be stupid to infuse it with fire again or would it not let you do that anyway? Just wondered if infusing with the same would make that element stronger.

eliochip

Whats a good, basic strength build to focus on? I like using the Broadsword and weapons like that plus a good shield.

I got tired of the rogue, 2 handed sword playstyle from Bloodborne after I beat it.

Mogwai

Damn you, Darklurker. I can't believe that FromSoft made so much shit-tier content around this boss. Spending the effigies and killing the same rock-coated douche phantoms just to get there, EACH TIME. And then for what? A copy/paste boss.

It pains me to have this boss in an otherwise great game.

Sorry for the rant. But this part of the game always offends me.

Can anyone give me a quick verdict?

My friend played the game originally without any DLC (has yet to play the DLC). I played the game originally and DLC.

Are the changes like enemy placements/items balances/etc worth it based on above? We both want to do jolly cooperation so wondering if he should just get the season pass or instead get SotFS and I'll get SotFS too then. We don't want to get SotFS if it detracts from the original experience (like the enemy placements maybe being worse than original game rather than enhanced/better thought behind the placements).

Red Hood

Banned
So I just got to
Old Iron King
for the first time and after damaging him to half his health, he kinda one-hit me? Either that (which I find unlikely to do 1600HP damage with one attack) or the game glitched on me. I had my back towards the wall and I was trying to evade his punch, but I somehow directly landed in lava. There was definitely more than enough room between the wall and the lava, so I think I suffered a glitch? Anyhow, then I made a stupid mistake and lost 40.000 souls, lol.

Great game so far, some cool tweaks from its predecessor, but somehow the environments aren't as memorable in my opinion. Still, having fast travelling from the get go is a huge advantage on Dark Souls that really has a great effect on the pacing. I'm enjoying my time.

Time to check out Undead Purgatory!

I believe END caps at 20, ADP try to make sure you get over 100 agility, vigor I'm not so sure on.

Yes, cause this never happens in other souls games lol

I'm 18 hours in and I haven't had a single durability problem or ever needed a repair powder as long as I keep 2 weapons with me. It's a stupid bug, but it's not really a big deal and pretty much nonexistant is you use 2 weapons.
ok then, try dual wielding with low durability weapons at no mans wharf where you need basically 6 upgraded weapons to make any progress whatsoever. and don't bother being summoned into someones world where you cant use the bonfires. Maybe it's cool for those of you using 1 high durability weapon that has a good solid thrust attack but for the rest of us it's seriously game breaking.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Is the super meat boy style, multiple ghosts at once thing a new addition? I don't remember that in the vanilla game.

Too many deaths in one area causes the individual blood stains to stack into a single pool of blood. Interacting with the pool will show all of the victims at once. And yes, this is new to this rerelease.

Is there a clever way to cheese the pilgrim of the dark caves? I'm at the second one in black gulch and they're just ridiculous.

Make the longest/toughest dungeon your first one, and leave the shortest/easiest one for the Darklurker fight.

Mejilan

ok then, try dual wielding with low durability weapons at no mans wharf where you need basically 6 upgraded weapons to make any progress whatsoever. and don't bother being summoned into someones world where you cant use the bonfires. Maybe it's cool for those of you using 1 high durability weapon that has a good solid thrust attack but for the rest of us it's seriously game breaking.

Foolishness is game-breaking.
You have three loadout slots for a reason. Use them. Your equips should be geared for situational, on-the-fly tactics. In tight corners? Bring out some poking implements. Switch back to your preferred weapons when the environment opens up again. The only thing breaking your game is your stubborn refusal to brimg to bear the tools the game provides you with in spades.

addyb

The only thing that messes with having 3 weapons equipped is the burden load. I'm already at 65% with my loadout with one weapon.

Bought the game and downloading now
Do I need some sort of mod like the first game or is it good out of the box?

Also, I'm going into this blind without reading anything, but would like to know if there are anything I should be aware of still? Anything that is drastically different than Demon's/Dark Souls that I should be aware of?

No you don't need any mods. The game actually runs really well across a variety of systems (atleast the non dx 11 did).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing that messes with having 3 weapons equipped is the burden load. I'm already at 65% with my loadout with one weapon.

Switching equipment via the menu is pretty quick and can be done on the move. Just make sure to only keep weapons in your inventory that you're going to use.

addyb

Switching equipment via the menu is pretty quick and can be done on the move. Just make sure to only keep weapons in your inventory that you're going to use.

Yeah that's a good point. Have tons of weapons now but only using 4 of them. I take it I'm best just discarding all the junk.

Steel

Banned
Why is it that the old whip with 5 less durability than the falchion breaks about 20 times faster . I can only kill about 4 guys before it breaks.

Mejilan

Nothing a few levels won't fix. And I usually stick with only two loadouts as well, so I feel you. That said, there are multiple options. Frequent bonfires. Repair powders. Repair spells. Switching gear manually between battles. The small white soap stone for quick 5 minute assists as a shade. Perfect for restoring humanity amd topping off health, spells, and equipment durability.

There are plenty of ways to deal with fragile weapons. Crying "game-breaking" while stubbornly expecting one loadout to suit all encounters and environments is just noise, IMHO. The thread has too much of that already.

I mean, the last 4 of a total of 6 releases of Dark 2 have worked in this manner. At some point, you just have to play the game they've provided. That, or move on. My $0.02.

So I upgraded to the DX11 and I'm excited for it since I didn't get too far in my original run of DS2
You know that forest with the moths and tall lanky dudes with scythes and whips? AAAAAAAAAAAH

So I made my character,
LG4ZcX2.png
noticed the higher contrast,
started to go to my usual route...

Nope.avi

I'll deal with that in the morning tomorrow.

Hugstable

Banned
Ugh Harvest Valley has some really annoying areas. There's no way they designed some portions of this area and thought it was enjoyable.

Mejilan

Yeah that's a good point. Have tons of weapons now but only using 4 of them. I take it I'm best just discarding all the junk.

There's an NPC that will buy shit off you for souls. Take your junk and stash it in your item box at any bonfire, then bust it all out when it's time to wheel and deal. Or just junk it and sunbro some bosses instead. Probably faster. Just an FYI. :)

Hugstable

Banned

Thrust? I'm a 2-handed STR character using a Bastard Sword and a Bandit Axe lol

Foolishness is game-breaking.
You have three loadout slots for a reason. Use them. Your equips should be geared for situational, on-the-fly tactics. In tight corners? Bring out some poking implements. Switch back to your preferred weapons when the environment opens up again. The only thing breaking your game is your stubborn refusal to brimg to bear the tools the game provides you with in spades.
Lol ok then tryhard, next you'll tell me that the sped up animations and other issues caused by running the game at a higher framerate than normal are a feature. Uh huh.

Anyways, yes of course I adapted and got through the game by adjusting my tactics, which is utterly besides the point

ALSO if it's a feature not a bug, then when can we expect them to update the original console versions of dsII with these 'bug fix' lol. I won't hold my breath.

DeaviL

Banned
Lol ok then tryhard, next you'll tell me that the sped up animations and other issues caused by running the game at a higher framerate than normal. Uh huh.

The only thing anyone here can advice you to do is get the bracing knuckle ring asap,
then the +1, +2.

The only thing anyone here can advice you to do is get the bracing knuckle ring asap,
then the +1, +2.
I was using it. Great ring but sadly takes up a ring slot that I really should not need. I'll just stick to the unofficial patch that fixes the problem, thanks.

Robot Pants

Damn you, Darklurker. I can't believe that FromSoft made so much shit-tier content around this boss. Spending the effigies and killing the same rock-coated douche phantoms just to get there, EACH TIME. And then for what? A copy/paste boss.

It pains me to have this boss in an otherwise great game.

Sorry for the rant. But this part of the game always offends me.
Magic makes him a cakewalk. It's melee characters that have trouble

Needlecrash

So I upgraded to the DX11 and I'm excited for it since I didn't get too far in my original run of DS2
You know that forest with the moths and tall lanky dudes with scythes and whips? AAAAAAAAAAAH

So I made my character,

Nope.avi

It's the only one that you'll see. But, there will be those big turtle mace guys in unpleasant locations. Good luck.

Why is it that the old whip with 5 less durability than the falchion breaks about 20 times faster . I can only kill about 4 guys before it breaks.

My guess would have to be because of the length of it's hitbox causes it to hit a lot of different objects, degrading the durability a lot faster when you end up hitting the wall, floor, and corpses multiple times in one swing.

I did attempt to create a powerstance whip build in vanilla DS2 PC, but I mostly ran with two regular whips and switched to two Old Whips only for important enemies. Even then, it's practically a necessity to have the highest level Bracing Knuckle Ring equipped and maybe some spare repair powder on hand. They are extremely fragile.

Mogwai

Magic makes him a cakewalk. It's melee characters that have trouble
Yeah, and that's what pisses me off. I'm rocking a pure dex build and it's absolutely garbage for Darklurker and getting to him.

I could pop a soul vessel and respec, but it defeats the purpose of a RPG when you need a certain build for a boss. I know that I don't specifically NEED magic for Darklurker, but it's just so much eaiser with it. Hurray for game balance...

SRTtoZ

So I made my character,

Nope.avi

A little trick for those guys is
run around to their butt and bait them into sitting down over and over, just stay near the butt but not too close or he will sit on you. Do that over and over while 2h a weapon.

Neoweee

Yeah, and that's what pisses me off. I'm rocking a pure dex build and it's absolutely garbage for Darklurker and getting to him.

I could pop a soul vessel and respec, but it defeats the purpose of a RPG when you need a certain build for a boss. I know that I don't specifically NEED magic for Darklurker, but it's just so much eaiser with it. Hurray for game balance...

I beat it on my first try as a lightweight Dex build. What weapons are you using, and what is your weight?

Mejilan

Lol ok then tryhard, next you'll tell me that the sped up animations and other issues caused by running the game at a higher framerate than normal are a feature. Uh huh.

Anyways, yes of course I adapted and got through the game by adjusting my tactics, which is utterly besides the point

ALSO if it's a feature not a bug, then when can we expect them to update the original console versions of dsII with these 'bug fix' lol. I won't hold my breath.

Because the game is effectively done. PS3/360/DX9 support has hit end of life.
Might as well ask why they aren't getting at least some of the new version's changes (the technically feasible ones, anyway).

As mentioned, the last 4 versions of the game have featured the same durability ecosystem, if you will. This makes the PS3 and 360 versions the outliers.

Finally, a prominent Dark 2 modder has released a durability "fix" for the DX11 version, and mentioned in his notes that From actually did fix the 60 FPS bug by decoupling the link between frame rate and weapon decay, but then instituted a decay doubler modifier to restore the "bugged" detioration rate.

The game works as From intended.
They likely will continue to tweak individual values here and there via periodic calibrations, but the current ecosystem is not likely to receive a dramatic overhaul again.

Folks will just have to tailor their experience accordingly. Or move on. It is what it is. Thread shitting by arguing over bug vs.feature semantics is pointless.

Spoilers about the D
ragon
S
hrine
at the end of the game.

why are some enemies? bowing and not attacking?. Is it because I never broke any eggs or killed any drakes in the previous area ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any differences between the PS4 and PC version?

I picked up both because I'm weird like that. Want to be able to experience both online communities.

SRTtoZ

Any differences between the PS4 and PC version?

I picked up both because I'm weird like that. Want to be able to experience both online communities.

Seem similair, both look great, 1080p/60fps and both have very very short loading times.

Mogwai

I beat it on my first try as a lightweight Dex build. What weapons are you using, and what is your weight?
My first (and only so far) was with a +10 falchion and 44% weight. I'll kill the bastard sooner or later.

I'm just frustrated with the game balance and the way to the boss. It's plain bad game design.

Neoweee

My first (and only so far) was with a +10 falchion and 44% weight. I'll kill the bastard sooner or later.

I'm just frustrated with the game balance and the way to the boss. It's plain bad game design.

Pure melee Dex wants to be a lot lighter than 44%, IMO. Roll distance is king.

Heysoos

Best way to kill the stupid hippo thing when I get to the forest place? I only have a dagger and broken thief sword so it's not really doing much damage.

then the +1, +2.

Another thing is to put your sign down before bosses, If the host kills the boss with you there you get full repair back, this also restores your estus/weaponbuff/spell charges iirc and I abused it all the time to basically never worry about durability.

SRTtoZ

Best way to kill the stupid hippo thing when I get to the forest place? I only have a dagger and broken thief sword so it's not really doing much damage.

A little trick for those guys is
run around to their butt and bait them into sitting down over and over, just stay near the butt but not too close or he will sit on you. Do that over and over while 2h a weapon.

Also if you want a better starter STR weapon, go back to Majula
and as you enter it from the tutorial area look for an opening on the right hand side, you can drop down and find a few items, one being a mace you can 2h.

Dommel

Be very patient, wait for it to fall on its back after swinging and hit it once . Rinse and repeat.

Because the game is effectively done. PS3/360/DX9 support has hit end of life.
Might as well ask why they aren't getting at least some of the new version's changes (the technically feasible ones, anyway).

As mentioned, the last 4 versions of the game have featured the same durability ecosystem, if you will. This makes the PS3 and 360 versions the outliers.

actually youre flat out wrong here. The original game, including the pc version of dark souls 2 WAS updated to include many of the new features including items, lore and npcs. So yeah, the fact that they havent received the durability changes throws a huge wrench in that theory.

anyways, Im over the whole thing as it has thankfully been fixed by gracious fans. What Im wondering now is can someone give me any impressions of new game plus. Im wondering what compelling changes there are, if any. googling didnt seem to help much.

_DrMario_

So I got the game yesterday and decided to go for a dex build since I never did one in the original DS2.

What's a good weapon to focus on on my first run? I was thinking Falchion but on the wiki it says it's not very good against bosses...

DeaviL

Banned
I've been spending my time helping people with the 2 invaders in Iron keep, its funny how easy they are now.
One parry, riposte for 1500 dmg, hehe.

Another thing is to put your sign down before bosses, If the host kills the boss with you there you get full repair back, this also restores your estus/weaponbuff/spell charges iirc and I abused it all the time to basically never worry about durability.

Yep, i do it every time.

Top Bottom