• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Soodanim

Pure melee Dex wants to be a lot lighter than 44%, IMO. Roll distance is king.

Roll distance is a thing? Shit, I'm going to have to give in and read a mechanics guide. Coming from DS1 has me taking too much for granted, and I'm about the same weight as the other dude. I didn't notice slower rolling until I really stacked the weighty stuff, so I left it at mid-weight. Adaptability is at 20 for me.

I really do think it would be best to play Dark Souls 2 before 1 so far. DS2 makes some nice changes, but they're more convenience than mechanics. You could easily go from 2 to 1, because there are just as many downgrades as upgrades. You have things like using multiple souls and the jump button, but then there are downgrades like durability, enemies tracking like pros but you not being able to roll then attack in a direction, and no queuing of weapon switching. That is one of the things I'm so used to doing that is hard to break out of.

Whoever says Dark Souls 2 is a good game in its own right and only deserves negativity when looked at as the sequel to Dark Souls is right. Ignoring that it's set a long time after DS1, you could have called it something else and it would have been fine. A sequel to Dark Souls deserved nothing but upgrades. But I am enjoying it so far. I am hitting a lot of dead ends though, I've been to about 3 different paths and hit "You need a ring, brah" at least twice. Managed to end up at the same place twice though, so I'm going to continue with that the next time I play.

Any negative reactions to the durability bug from From yet? I'll have to give that a go, because durability being that low really was a shit design choice. The classic case of fixing what wasn't broken and breaking it.

addyb

There's an NPC that will buy shit off you for souls. Take your junk and stash it in your item box at any bonfire, then bust it all out when it's time to wheel and deal. Or just junk it and sunbro some bosses instead. Probably faster. Just an FYI. :)

I heard that's a one time deal that seller. Any idea which area he appears? Is it actually worth it for the souls you get?

addyb

Nothing a few levels won't fix. And I usually stick with only two loadouts as well, so I feel you. That said, there are multiple options. Frequent bonfires. Repair powders. Repair spells. Switching gear manually between battles. The small white soap stone for quick 5 minute assists as a shade. Perfect for restoring humanity amd topping off health, spells, and equipment durability.

There are plenty of ways to deal with fragile weapons. Crying "game-breaking" while stubbornly expecting one loadout to suit all encounters and environments is just noise, IMHO. The thread has too much of that already.

I mean, the last 4 of a total of 6 releases of Dark 2 have worked in this manner. At some point, you just have to play the game they've provided. That, or move on. My $0.02.

Totally agree mate. I dont have an issue with the durability and simply treat it as a game mechanic that adds a different kind of challenge to the game. The only time I've had an issue recently was my falchion at risk fighting the sentinels but I should of checked on its status before that fight so mismanagement from myself.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
This game looks beautiful and yet it also looks weird. I am not use to 60 FPS it looks really odd to me right now lol.

One minor complaint though. This weapon durability thing is killing some of my fun. It's freakin annnoying and stupid. Why are the weapons so sensitive?

Yeah, and that's what pisses me off. I'm rocking a pure dex build and it's absolutely garbage for Darklurker and getting to him.

I could pop a soul vessel and respec, but it defeats the purpose of a RPG when you need a certain build for a boss. I know that I don't specifically NEED magic for Darklurker, but it's just so much eaiser with it. Hurray for game balance...

I beat Darklurker my third try with a dual wielding strength build >.>

When he split into two I actually was able to nail both copies with a double overhead swing from my greatswords that annihilated like 40% of his HP at once and nearly ended the fight instantly. The next hit and that was that, so pretty satisfying finish.

I thought Darklurker was kinda cool and I actually enjoyed the Pilgrims of the Dark covenant stuff (never did that content when I played the game previously). I thought it was a neat tie in to the Abyss of the first game. But it only took me about a half-hour to do so I can see how spending a long time there would cause frustration. But I don't see how that's a game balance fault. If you're having trouble on Darklurker, fight him through the Shadowed Ruins section since that one is pretty quick and the phantoms you fight in there pretty faceroll worthy.

Neoweee

Roll distance is a thing? Shit, I'm going to have to give in and read a mechanics guide. Coming from DS1 has me taking too much for granted, and I'm about the same weight as the other dude. I didn't notice slower rolling until I really stacked the weighty stuff, so I left it at mid-weight. Adaptability is at 20 for me.

I really do think it would be best to play Dark Souls 2 before 1 so far. DS2 makes some nice changes, but they're more convenience than mechanics. You could easily go from 2 to 1, because there are just as many downgrades as upgrades. You have things like using multiple souls and the jump button, but then there are downgrades like durability, enemies tracking like pros but you not being able to roll then attack in a direction, and no queuing of weapon switching. That is one of the things I'm so used to doing that is hard to break out of.

Whoever says Dark Souls 2 is a good game in its own right and only deserves negativity when looked at as the sequel to Dark Souls is right. Ignoring that it's set a long time after DS1, you could have called it something else and it would have been fine. But to follow Dark Souls deserved nothing but upgrades. But I am enjoying it so far. I am hitting a lot of dead ends though, I've been to about 3 different paths and hit "You need a ring, brah" at least twice. Managed to end up at the same place twice though, so I'm going to continue with that the next time I play.

Any negative reactions to the durability bug from From yet? I'll have to give that a go, because durability being that low really was a shit design choice. The classic case of fixing what wasn't broken and breaking it.

Roll distance varies continually, but it isn't linear. Still, lighter = further, and every bit helps.

Durability was worthless as a stat in Dark Souls and Bloodborne. A complete waste of time to even implement. I like that they tried to make weapons work on the same bonfire-to-bonfire playstyle as healing items and spells. Needs some tweaking, but I think it is absolutely the way to go for Dark Souls 3.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
actually youre flat out wrong here. The original game, including the pc version of dark souls 2 WAS updated to include many of the new features including items, lore and npcs. So yeah, the fact that they havent received the durability changes throws a huge wrench in that theory.

anyways, Im over the whole thing as it has thankfully been fixed by gracious fans. What Im wondering now is can someone give me any impressions of new game plus. Im wondering what compelling changes there are, if any. googling didnt seem to help much.

No, you're wrong. All versions received the Sins of the First Scholar content. But the original PC release (DX9, and the first with the 60 FPS durability issue) remains distinct and separate from the DX11 rerelease. It wasn't an upgrade, but a new release with its own saves, features, achievements, and online community. The DX11 version hit alongside the PS4/XBO games, and features the heavily remixed enemy and item placement, better integrated DLC content, less linear progression, and expanded multiplayer options. The DX9 version mirrors the PS3/360 content and flow.

As of the free Sins of the First Scholar congent update (which hit the three last gen platforms months ago), those versions were considered complete, for all intents and purposes.

And as a reminder, they had YEARS to fix the DX9 durability issue, and didn't. And when they finally decoupled weapon decay and frame rate for the new PS4/XBO/DX11 versions, they actually adjusted decay to bring it back in line with the "buggy 60 FPS" version, according to the very modder that provided you with your "fix."

4 versions of the game with accelerated weapon decay: the first possibly by accident, but the following 3 decidedly by design. No wrenches here.

Soodanim

Roll distance varies continually, but it isn't linear. Still, lighter = further, and every bit helps.

Durability was worthless as a stat in Dark Souls and Bloodborne. A complete waste of time to even implement. I like that they tried to make weapons work on the same bonfire-to-bonfire playstyle as healing items and spells. Needs some tweaking, but I think it is absolutely the way to go for Dark Souls 3.

Fair point, maybe it was too inconsequential in DS1 unless you used 2-handed R2 attacks that did something special, which could actually be the entire reason for durability now I think about it, but they went a way too far in the opposite direction. Especially when they didn't bother fixing the dead body thing. That's just horrible. I'd be fine with a happy medium.

Are chests a destroy and retrieve rubbish from gone forever? I thought I did right a couple times, then I started to realised I'm probably losing out on items. I have about 10 bits of rubbish now. Oops.

What's the point in the small white soapstone? Why not just use a big one every time?

Mejilan

I heard that's a one time deal that seller. Any idea which area he appears? Is it actually worth it for the souls you get?

He has three locations. First and second encounters are one-offs. He stays in his third location for the duration of the game and remains accessible throughout.

Heysoos

Also if you want a better starter STR weapon, go back to Majula
and as you enter it from the tutorial area look for an opening on the right hand side, you can drop down and find a few items, one being a mace you can 2h.

nvm found it

Mejilan

Are chests a destroy and retrieve rubbish from gone forever? I thought I did right a couple times, then I started to realised I'm probably losing out on items. I have about 10 bits of rubbish now. Oops.

What's the point in the small white soapstone? Why not just use a big one every time?

Wood chests can generally sustain a hit without breaking. Breaking it will destroy its loot.

Small soap stone is good for short, 5 minute sessions to top off your humanity, health, spells, and durability.

Got the PS4 version today (after having completed the PC version last year, 60fps). I do not remember the durability thing being this bad. Started out as a Swordsman, weapons break far before reaching a bonfire.

Guess I'll make do though.

Ramirez

Coming straight from BB to this and I just cannot get into it. The durability thing is annoying & reducing my HP on death are just not fun to me. I have 2 estus flasks on top of that, the game just feels like such a chore.

Really regretting this purchase at the moment, and it's weird because I loved DS and BB so much.

tuna_love

Banned
Best way to kill the stupid hippo thing when I get to the forest place? I only have a dagger and broken thief sword so it's not really doing much damage.
Try to get behind him and he will try sit on you. Hit him a few times and make sure you stay behind him. As long as you are behind he only does the sitting attack and is easy as fuck.

SRTtoZ

Got the PS4 version today (after having completed the PC version last year, 60fps). I do not remember the durability thing being this bad. Started out as a Swordsman, weapons break far before reaching a bonfire.

Guess I'll make do though.

Its tough in the beginning because there are so many enemies but after that and once you get the durability ring its a non issue. Also, use 2 weapons.

Just picked up my copy for X1. Pretty pumped to run through the game at 60fps. Had multiple characters and a couple of complete playthroughs in the vanilla version. Only ever beat the first DLC, barely dipped my toes in the 2nd and never bought the third one. Should feel pretty fresh running through it again.

On another note; it is weird to see all the bitching in here. This game is more difficult than BB, that is the consensus right? Seems to be quite a few people that don't want to enjoy this game for various reasons. Sucks to see that. I love this game and all of its "gamebreaking bugs".

Victrix

*beard*
Coming straight from BB to this and I just cannot get into it. The durability thing is annoying & reducing my HP on death are just not fun to me. I have 2 estus flasks on top of that, the game just feels like such a chore.

Really regretting this purchase at the moment, and it's weird because I loved DS and BB so much.

Use two (or even three) weapons early on. The flask thing is shitty, look up locations of shards if you want to get your flask up to 5+ uses faster.

Otherwise the early game generally sucks, I didn't enjoy it at all playing blind my first time, but it gets a lot more fun later fwiw.

Neoweee

Just picked up my copy for X1. Pretty pumped to run through the game at 60fps. Had multiple characters and a couple of complete playthroughs in the vanilla version. Only ever beat the first DLC, barely dipped my toes in the 2nd and never bought the third one. Should feel pretty fresh running through it again.

On another note; it is weird to see all the bitching in here. This game is more difficult than BB, that is the consensus right? Seems to be quite a few people that don't want to enjoy this game for various reasons. Sucks to see that. I love this game and all of its "gamebreaking bugs".

Some people claim the game is too easy, and that the changes made it easier.

Or that it is hard, but due to cheap artificial difficulty.

Took me a while to get readjusted after BB, and I've poured hundreds of hours into the original DkS2.The durability issue
It is an issue
will get better once you get out of FoFG. Just carry more than one weapon just in case the other one breaks. This game has the roughest start of any souls game, IMO. Just stick with it and the game will open up. There is a ring that you can find soon that will stop the HP reducing to 75%. You can also find a ring that will reduce weapon degradation later as well.

Neoweee

Took me a while to get readjusted after BB, and I've poured hundreds of hours into the original DkS2.The durability issue
It is an issue
will get better once you get out of FoFG. Just carry more than one weapon just in case the other one breaks. This game has the roughest start of any souls game, IMO. Just stick with it and the game will open up. There is a ring that you can find soon that will stop the HP reducing to 75%. You can also find a ring that will reduce weapon degradation later as well.

I've always thought the start was smoother. Leveling up from the get go, a choice of zones, and fast travel made things less frustrating.

M.D

Started playing and just like I thought playing this game at 60 FPS feels weird and somehow wrong lol

I started as a warrior and for some reason my shield was always up? I initally thought it was one of the changes they made and felt really bummed about it because it made stamina management really weird, but now its back to normal where I have to hold the key to block

How do I change keybindings? Blocking set to the shoulder button and not the trigger which feels reallu weird coming from PS3
I'm playing with a 360 controller but all the key bindings are for the keyboard

I've always thought the start was smoother. Leveling up from the get go, a choice of zones, and fast travel made things less frustrating.

Disagree. Especially if you're playing DkS2 for the first time. There's just so much crap the game throws at you early on,and with almost no equipment too. Add in the crap durability of the early weapons you find, and it can get frustrating for some. Fast travel is nice though.

Jesus Christ! Got the shit scared out of me after I beat
The Rotten

NBtoaster

So from when I got the weapon and made my way through the Forest area, all the way up to getting the short sword above the foggy entrance, my morning star says it's already at danger. Is that normal? :|

Remember resting at a bonfire restores weapon durability as long as it isn't broken.

Caja 117

Remember resting at a bonfire restores weapon durability as long as it isn't broken.

Im playing as swordsman, are all weapon have as low durability as the ones Im starting with? or as the game goes on, the better weapon have better durability? I just went trough the Forest of Giants and already past the first fog door and one of the weapon is alteady at 6. :-/

Also when I parry is there something different to be done so i can perform the riposte? im doing the Parry correctly but when I attack it just doing the normal attack and not the counter.

Victrix

*beard*
Im playing as swordsman, are all weapon have as low durability as the ones Im starting with? or as the game goes on, the better weapon have better durability? I just went trough the Forest of Giants and already past the first fog door and one of the weapon is alteady at 6. :-/

Also when I parry is there something different to be done so i can perform the riposte? im doing the Parry correctly but when I attack it just doing the normal attack and not the counter.

They will have higher yes, and the FoFG is actually just about the worst part of the game for durability, it gets better later.

You have to delay the counter-attack - wait until they are fully downed from the parry, then attack.

TEH-CJ

Banned

Exactly how I feel.

Caja 117

They will have higher yes, and the FoFG is actually just about the worst part of the game for durability, it gets better later.

You have to delay the counter-attack - wait until they are fully downed from the parry, then attack.

Thats good to know then, was getting worried that i was going to need 5 different weapons to pass trough one area. One other question, does equipment in your secondary slot affectthe player carry load?

Thanks

wickfut

Banned
hmm help.. forgot how to turn the lift on
and open the door to get to the mirror knight bit

also, how do I reach the
old man in the chair that you can see near where you unlock ornifex

Victrix

*beard*
Thats good to know then, was getting worried that i was going to need 5 different weapons to pass trough one area. One other question, does equipment in your secondary slot affectthe player carry load?

Thanks

It does yes.

Keep in mind that below 70% load you won't fatroll, but you will roll less distance as your weight increases.

Load has zero impact on iframes for dodging, but remember you have to raise agility to ~100 to get the equivalent of dark souls dodge, generally via raising Adaptability (Attunement raises agility also, but by much less per point - useful if you're a caster though).

But early on, don't stress too much about that, just carry some extra weapons, you can swap them into slots as needed, just keep a backup readied in case you need to switch mid fight.

You have to be mindful of durability later, but it's not onerous, and there's a durability ring you can find as well.

Early game you're going to depend on life gems more than flasks. Flasks are for between fight healing when you need to top yourself off, if you're getting pounded mid-fight and need to heal, use flasks. They're a limited supply (like in BB) but like that game at least early on they're really common so you should have enough (and if you don't you can always buy some with souls, they're pretty cheap). Just remember if you're getting pounded to assess the situation, disengage from the fight, and get enough distance away that you'll be able to pop the gem safely and let your health recharge a bit before you can recommit to a fight. DS2 doesn't let you get away with overextending yourself in a fight like BB does so fight conservatively.

Your life being reduced after death is a callback to Demon's Souls but a less severe penalty than in that game. It shouldn't be too much of a factor though since it's just a sliver of health each death. If you get down too far, don't be afraid to pop a human effigy. Or put down your summon sign before the entrance to a boss fight as helping someone else beat a boss restores you back to your full health bar.

CyrusUrus

Neo Member
hmm help.. forgot how to turn the lift on
and open the door to get to the mirror knight bit

Remember the room up the ladder with the stone giant and all the stone knights? You have to lure one of the enemies from the next room over to the stone giant. The stone knights don't come alive in this version.

wickfut

Banned
Remember the room up the ladder with the stone giant and all the stone knights? You have to lure one of the enemies from the next room over to the stone giant. The stone knights don't come alive in this version.

ahh right. I was wondering why they didn't come alive, I thought I had to pull a lever or something to trigger them

Top Bottom