• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Landford

Banned
So i bit the bullet and bougth the DX11 upgrade. Anyone have a fun/different build i could try? Played 200 hours of the dx9 version with a sword and board knight.

SpokkX

Question about the dlc material:
How do i access the "dlc" material? I have just collected three giant souls from the memories and one from black gulch.

Do I have to beat vendrick? He is too hard imo.

I went through Shrine of Amana yesterday and it was easy. Didn't even use a bow or shield, just took the gool ol' (newly buffed to have the proper katana counter damage FINALLY) Blacksteel Katana to their faces. Now new Dragon Shrine? That is some BS.

How do i access the "dlc" material? I have just collected three giant souls from the memories and one from black gulch.

You need key items to access the areas. I found two of them, and I have a vague idea of where the third is but without spoiling, I'll just say to check the surrounding maps near the teleporters for each DLC thoroughly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

There are keys to each one squirreled away around the world.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So, I'm playing the original DSII on PS3, and I took my armor off to compare a couple of different kinds, and noticed my guy has boobs. I walked up to a wall to get a look at his face, and he also now has a woman's face. His hair and tattoo are the same, but he has somehow turned into a woman. This seems like a weird glitch to me, has it been know to happen?

You don't need to beat Vendrick. You need to find keys that are hidden in the game. Just explore area thoroughly, and where to use them should be obvious if you've beaten a good chunk of the story bosses.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So are the dlc keys gone in Sins? Everytime I've killed a primal boss the dlc fountain is right there to click, there's no door to open or anything

So, I'm playing the original DSII on PS3, and I took my armor off to compare a couple of different kinds, and noticed my guy has boobs. I walked up to a wall to get a look at his face, and he also now has a woman's face. His hair and tattoo are the same, but he has somehow turned into a woman. This seems like a weird glitch to me, has it been know to happen?

LOL. Did you happen to get inside of any coffins lately?

you went into the coffin that changes your sex. not a glitch

Portugeezer

No, you're wrong. All versions received the Sins of the First Scholar content. But the original PC release (DX9, and the first with the 60 FPS durability issue) remains distinct and separate from the DX11 rerelease. It wasn't an upgrade, but a new release with its own saves, features, achievements, and online community. The DX11 version hit alongside the PS4/XBO games, and features the heavily remixed enemy and item placement, better integrated DLC content, less linear progression, and expanded multiplayer options. The DX9 version mirrors the PS3/360 content and flow.

As of the free Sins of the First Scholar congent update (which hit the three last gen platforms months ago), those versions were considered complete, for all intents and purposes.

And as a reminder, they had YEARS to fix the DX9 durability issue, and didn't. And when they finally decoupled weapon decay and frame rate for the new PS4/XBO/DX11 versions, they actually adjusted decay to bring it back in line with the "buggy 60 FPS" version, according to the very modder that provided you with your "fix."

4 versions of the game with accelerated weapon decay: the first possibly by accident, but the following 3 decidedly by design. No wrenches here.

Shit design then.

Liamc723

This is my first time playing Dark Souls 2, and I have a few questions concerning the DLC.

. Is there a point of no return in the main game before the final boss that is very obvious?

.How do I access the DLC when I want to?

Victrix

*beard*
This is my first time playing Dark Souls 2, and I have a few questions concerning the DLC.

. Is there a point of no return in the main game before the final boss that is very obvious?

.How do I access the DLC when I want to?

There's literally no point of no return, you can even reset boss fights using a certain consumable. You have to manually trigger NG+ from the first bonfire.

As for the DLC, it should be fairly obvious. You can tackle it once you have certain items, I doubt you'd miss the entrances. Definitely a late game target though.

Liamc723

There's literally no point of no return, you can even reset boss fights using a certain consumable. You have to manually trigger NG+ from the first bonfire.

As for the DLC, it should be fairly obvious. You can tackle it once you have certain items, I doubt you'd miss the entrances. Definitely a late game target though.

Oh so it's like some open-world games where you can still explore after beating the final boss?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Guys...hey guys...

Havel
stuff is so fucking heavy, I forgot how heavy it was lol :(

I was struggling with
The Rotten
of all bosses >_>

It's so pretty tho :(

Victrix

*beard*
Oh so it's like some open-world games where you can still explore after beating the final boss?

Pretty much, credits/ending roll, but you just reappear at the start. You can choose when to move on to NG+ - note that stuff changes in NG+ (++?) in this game too, though some of that can be triggered 'early' with the afore mentioned consumable.

Basically just enjoy the ride, there are a few minor things you can screw up on a first playthrough, but nothing you can't revisit on NG+, and nothing major that would impact your fun.

Liamc723

Pretty much, credits/ending roll, but you just reappear at the start. You can choose when to move on to NG+ - note that stuff changes in NG+ (++?) in this game too, though some of that can be triggered 'early' with the afore mentioned consumable.

Basically just enjoy the ride, there are a few minor things you can screw up on a first playthrough, but nothing you can't revisit on NG+, and nothing major that would impact your fun.

Sweet, that sounds good, thanks!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
LOL. Did you happen to get inside of any coffins lately?
Is that what they do? I got in a coffin an never spotted a difference. How many are there, just the one at the beginning?

Korezo

Does the ps4 version look better than the og pc version? I have Darksouls 2 on pc but never got any expansions, I would rather buy the game on ps4 if the newer version looks better than the original pc darksouls 2.

Rhaknar

Is that what they do? I got in a coffin an never spotted a difference. How many are there, just the one at the beginning?

Yes the sex change coffin. What, they don't have those where you come from?

Does the ps4 version look better than the og pc version? I have Darksouls 2 on pc but never got any expansions, I would rather buy the game on ps4 if the newer version looks better than the original pc darksouls 2.

Why spend 60 on the ps4 one if you can buy the pc upgrade for 30 since you have vanilla?

And probably looks about the same as vanilla pc since that one was already 1080p 60 anyway (at least)

SRTtoZ

Is there a bonfire near where you summon the
pirate ship?
got there a few times now but keep dieing before boarding

If you are facing the ship head on, go right there is a bridge that you need to kick down, it makes a shortcut so you can get there easily if you die or go to a bonfire.

Rhaknar

If I remember correctly there's quite a bit of game left after getting the 4 primal souls right? I remember when vanilla was new and that goal sounded like the end game and then people realised they were only like halfway through

Korezo

Why spend 60 on the ps4 one if you can buy the pc upgrade for 30 since you have vanilla?

And probably looks about the same as vanilla pc since that one was already 1080p 60 anyway (at least)

Oh, thought you had to also own the dlc for the discount price.

Get'sMad

Since I haven't played DS2 since after beating it a few times when it came out last year on PS3 and now just coming off Bloodborne I'm rolling dual wield this go...something I tried like once and sucked at and promptly gave up on last year. Having a good run w/ it thus far this go...seems like the 60fps is making it a lot easier for me to read enemy patterns.

Forgot how insane some the aggro range is in this game.

Really diggin the 60fps though.

SRTtoZ

I think it does, and yes I own the PS4 version and the vanilla PC version with durantes mods. The lighting, the textures, it all looks better and runs just as well.

Since I haven't played DS2 since after beating it a few times when it came out last year on PS3 and now just coming off Bloodborne I'm rolling dual wield this go...something I tried like once and sucked at and promptly gave up on last year. Having a good run w/ it thus far this go...seems like the 60fps is making it a lot easier for me to read enemy patterns.

aggro range is greatly increased for many enemies in softs, apparently thanks to direct x 11 tech.

What weapons were you using when you gave up on DW? And what are you using now?

AlterOdin

God damn, they got me good!

Before the first boss, on the big sword. They fooled me by "glitching out" the old enemy trap by having them fall to their death, I run up the sword for the loot, turn around and 4 MoFo's charging me, I died and loved it. Gotta keep on my toes in this version

Abylim

Ok, after an hour of trying on
Fume Knight
, I'm over it.

I need to kill him for the last
soul fragment
, or can I just goto NG+ and get more
soul fragment
s by doing the dlc again? Does it work that way?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ok, after an hour of trying on
Fume Knight
, I'm over it.

I need to kill him for the last
soul fragment
, or can I just goto NG+ and get more
soul fragment
s by doing the dlc again? Does it work that way?

No.

Keep trying, eventually you "learn" him and you will be able to do it in one try every playthrough. I love that fight.

Get'sMad

What weapons were you using when you gave up on DW? And what are you using now?

Honestly can't remember what I was doing in my first playthrough...Just using the scimitar and shortsword that you start out w/ the swordsman for now. Gonna mess around w/ some other weapons as I get more and see what I dig before upgrading them.

Damn....I mean LG was really easy in the initial, unpatched, console version of the game but god damn did they nerf him.

Grassy

I'm really enjoying my dual-wielding build now after beating
The Last Giant + Pursuer
. Rocking a +2 Falchion and +2 Scimitar. I used to think this type of build would be near impossible to play and only for the hardcore, but it's actually viable and a lot of fun once you get used to it.

I can see myself switching to sword + shield later in the game though.

Top Bottom