• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Get'sMad

I'm really enjoying my dual-wielding build now after beating
The Last Giant + Pursuer
. Rocking a +2 Falchion and +2 Scimitar. I used to think this type of build would be near impossible to play and only for the hardcore, but it's actually viable and a lot of fun once you get used to it.

I can see myself switching to sword + shield later in the game though.

Yeah think Bloodborne made me dig being a more aggressive player where I had previously always played + a shield in DeS and both DaS....having a lot of fun doing this.

Gotta get used to not having the re-gen system though....

Ok, after an hour of trying on
Fume Knight
, I'm over it.

I need to kill him for the last
soul fragment
, or can I just goto NG+ and get more
soul fragment
s by doing the dlc again? Does it work that way?

Oh good god,
Fume Knight
was probably the toughest DLC boss fight for me. The first time I beat him was in vanilla DS2 but it was on NG+++ I think, so it was absolutely brutal, and I didn't even stop his
regeneration
properly. I think I tried for two days just to beat him, drove me insane, I think I tried like 30-40 times maybe, but that feeling of learning all of his moves and overcoming him is incredible.

I just fought him today in SotFS, just in NG, beat him only in a few tries with the help of the NPC fantom (just to keep him occupied for a while). The Greatsword does some neat damage though, so that helps.

Hugstable

Banned
Man, really struggling w/ the pursuer, just can't get a good read on his attacks and never get a chance to heal.

With Pursuer he always does that 3 hit combo usually with a long arcing 3rd hit, or sometimes he does the jump and dive for the 3rd hit. Usually after dodging one of his long combo strings is the best time to get a heal in as he is recovering. Try to get hits in during those same moments when you don't need to heal. Get maybe 1 or 2 strikes, but don't push it, have enough stamina at the ready to roll back

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No.

Keep trying, eventually you "learn" him and you will be able to do it in one try every playthrough. I love that fight.

Yep. I hate him. But at the same time he's tough but fair, never felt I died because of bad design, it's always making a stupid mistake that does it lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How many bosses are there in each of the dlcs?

Ramirez

I finally got to the first boss and was amazed at how easy he was compared to getting to him. Still can't say I'm having much fun yet, lol.

tuna_love

Banned
Man, really struggling w/ the pursuer, just can't get a good read on his attacks and never get a chance to heal.
Every attack he does except the curse move and his sonic boom can be dodged by rolling towards is left leg. When he his powering up for curse run behind him and just smoke him. If he jumps in the air to strike just roll towards him. Once you time your rolls you wont get hit against him. Fighting two is a different kettle of fish.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
How many bosses are there in each of the dlcs?

In order of release, the first DLC has two main bosses and one optional boss; the second DLC has one main boss and two optional bosses; and the third DLC has two main bosses and one optional boss.

Neoweee

In order of release, the first DLC has two main bosses and one optional boss; the second DLC has one main boss and two optional bosses; and the third DLC has two main bosses and one optional boss.

Note that there is one boss in each DLC that people get pissy about, for either being a cheesy, repeat-ish palette swap, or unfun bullshit, in that order.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Question for anyone on Xbone, can you customize the controls to switch the bumper and trigger attacks? If not how's it feel using the bumpers for attack/block

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

3 in each, nice. And what's the order of release while I'm at it? Just the zones where they are will suffice, for future reference :)

With Pursuer he always does that 3 hit combo usually with a long arcing 3rd hit, or sometimes he does the jump and dive for the 3rd hit. Usually after dodging one of his long combo strings is the best time to get a heal in as he is recovering. Try to get hits in during those same moments when you don't need to heal. Get maybe 1 or 2 strikes, but don't push it, have enough stamina at the ready to roll back

I defeated him so easily on my next attempt, just had to focus a bit better.

Cheers.

Got my first Great Soul at the end of
Sinner's Rise.
I gotta say, I really liked the reoccurring appearances of the Pursuer throughout the game so far. Lives up to the name sake, and each encounter is still fun.

Now on to
Hunstman's Copse.

Get'sMad

Dang so did they nerf the P
ursuer
too? I remember needing to do the whole parry then shoot him w/ the gun thing to beat him and now was able to take him out straight up.

Dang so did they nerf the P
ursuer
too? I remember needing to do the whole parry then shoot him w/ the gun thing to beat him and now was able to take him out straight up.

Seemed the same to me. What weapon were you using? level? Also, you could just be better now. :D

Crystal lizards are the hardest enemy in the game. I don't remember their hitboxes being quite this bad in the original.

Is there a particular weapon that is useful against them?

void666

Banned
I hate heide's tower of flame and i think the new enemy placement doesn't add anything interesting or improve the area in any way. It's even more boring and cheap than before.

But the other areas i've been to are actually easier.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Wow. I never thought I would forget how to play this game! I keep on whiffing with my starter sword like I'm a couple inches away from making contact! BB has messed with me! I need to get a great sword or club stat!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It can be brutally hard for some pure melee builds. I know it was for mine.

What order did you take them out in?

Cevah>Graverobber>Varg

I first fought them with a pure strength build and didn't find it THAT difficult (I'd be lying if I said I didn't get my ass kicked a few times). Once you realize you're supposed to
use kiting and the environment to your advantage
, it's actually pretty simple.

eUoK4su.jpg

NO AMOUNT OF DARK SOULS CAN WITHSTAND THE MAGNIFICENCE OF ALEX LOUIS ARMSTRONG, THE STRONGARM ALCHEMIST

I'm having a lot of fun punching shit.

who? reminds me of Bronson.

Teeth

Cevah>Graverobber>Varg

I first fought them with a pure strength build and didn't find it THAT difficult (I'd be lying if I said I didn't get my ass kicked a few times). Once you realize you're supposed to
use kiting and the environment to your advantage
, it's actually pretty simple.

I mained a mace for the entire game and that was the first time that I had to switch up my weapon because no matter what I tried, I couldn't separate Alva from Havel. I could usually take out the archer, but Havel's poise would wreck me any time I tried to do anything to the remaining two.

Eventually, I just upgraded a halberd and found a technique that involved running in circles, falling into the water until Alva would jump into the water with me and Havel would try to circle around the top. I would take that chance to spinneroony Alva and then continue running away.

Took me almost half an hour to do it the time I finally won (and I nearly died taking out Havel by himself because I was getting impatient and underestimated him). Twas a brutal fight.

Is the DX11 worth an extra $13?

I have $37 in my steam wallet right now. I could get the DX9 version for $3 more and not really feel the hit to my real wallet.

I could spend an extra $13 out of my real wallet and get the DX11 version.

DX9 supports mods and such.

DX11 looks ever so slightly better from what I understand.

What do?

Rhaknar

LOL, I just assumed I was invaded after seeing the message. Is he new? I don't remember him.

Yeah. There's a bunch of new ones.

My rule of thumb is, if it has a coherent name, it's a npc :p

Goes for summons too

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah. There's a bunch of new ones.

My rule of thumb is, if it has a coherent name, it's a npc :p

Goes for summons too

That is what I figured, as I definitely did not remember him. It totally threw me off after seeing the invasion message and I just assumed that I was invaded by a person. So many new things in this game.

Rhaknar

So is
raven
in
grave of saints
also an npc?
I assumed so. But i had lag while fighting him.

Didn't see any invader in there. But I'm a ratbro so that might have something to do with it

Ayt

Banned
Is the DX11 worth an extra $13?

I have $37 in my steam wallet right now. I could get the DX9 version for $3 more and not really feel the hit to my real wallet.

I could spend an extra $13 out of my real wallet and get the DX11 version.

DX9 supports mods and such.

DX11 looks ever so slightly better from what I understand.

What do?

With the way they changed enemy and item placement, the DX11 version is the better game. For $10 extra it is definitely the way to go.

Top Bottom