• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

If Dark Souls 2 is anything to go by, I can not wait for what the "B Team" at From does next! I am loving this game! I will probably get alot of flak for this but I think Im enjoying this more than Dark Souls... blasphemous I know :D

If Dark Souls 2 is anything to go by, I can not wait for what the "B Team" at From does next! I am loving this game! I will probably get alot of flak for this but I think Im enjoying this more than Dark Souls... blasphemous I know :D

I'm having the same feelings, and it feels so strange, especially when considering playing Dark Souls was one of my favorite gaming experiences I've ever had.

As an aside...the run up to
Smelter Demon
is a bit overkill.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
There are basically three types.
One opens by attacking it.
Another opens by pressing the manipulate button near it (X on PS systems).
The last opens when you insert a Pharros lockstone into a Pharros lock.

If there's a note and nothing works... congrats, you've been tricked.

How do you open an illusory wall with a message in front of it?

if this is anything like the Vanilla version, people put messages in front of random walls to troll others with that message. So My guess is that these messages either came into the new version, or the troll messages are back

Worst area in the game so far. Which is a shame because it has one of the best designs, and conceptually the encounter design there is neat. In practice it's fucking irritating.

I know, I was really shocked at how good it looks on PS4. Those particle effects are way better too. Also, how the F do the Archdrakes move so goddamn fast when they're thigh deep in water? Looks like they're wearing rusted iron ring. D:

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hmm I'm kinda in a sorc mood all of a sudden... I haven't used any boss soul except the pursuer one and I haven't really sold any excess gear or weapons so I should be good to respec and get any spell I need correct?

My second DS2 char was a sorc, using those dark energy spells, are those still good or did they get the nerfbat like the faith ones?

Or I guess I could make a new character

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
There are basically three types.
One opens by attacking it.
Another opens by pressing the manipulate button near it (X on PS systems).
The last opens when you insert a Pharros lockstone into a Pharros lock.

If there's a note and nothing works... congrats, you've been tricked.

The problem is there are sometimes messages right in front of walls, so if that were an illusory wall, you wouldn't be able to open it because pressing X would bring up the message rather than open the wall.

Seiru

Banned
The problem is there are sometimes messages right in front of walls, so if that were an illusory wall, you wouldn't be able to open it because pressing X would bring up the message rather than open the wall.

Pretty sure the wall will always take priority.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
After finishing Bloodborne I can't start this game since I have no idea, which build to use.

It seemed far easier in bloodborne to decide on a staring class and a weapon and adept your build to the news weapons you find throughout the game.

I'd like to test the opposite of my Bloodborne hunter. Big armor, shield, maybe even magic... any suggestions?

Jebral

So. This game. Tempting, but some questions considering money is tight and here I am smack in the middle of Pillars of Eternity and GTA.

-As a whole, I hear the game feels more linear and is not nearly as interconnected as the original? Exploration is fun, this is actually THE thing that scares me off of the game.

-Is there really an issue where weapons degrade twice as fast as they should? Sounds potentially irritating.

Rambone

Finally got to put a an hour or two into the game (ps4) and I must say that right away this game feels much more exciting than the original vanilla version. The game definitely feels much more challenging with the new enemy remix. I was floored when turtle bro's in the forest of fallen giants started following me around relentlessly around the map, even in places I wouldn't even think they could go. Amazing! I took on the first boss (
The Giant
with three other players and took him down in less than a minute which was amusing.

I'm not sure if this is new or not but even tho I killed the boss including the
pursuer
, I still see small summon signs here and there. This came in handy because somebody invaded my game and was too much for me to take on alone. It was a magic user of all things and was handily keeping up with the both of us including laying down some devastating blows.

I can't wait to play more of this game, I hope the PS4 version keeps a healthy population as I want to play this game for quite some time when I'm not fooling around in bloodborne.

Victrix

*beard*
So. This game. Tempting, but some questions considering money is tight and here I am smack in the middle of Pillars of Eternity and GTA.

-As a whole, I hear the game feels more linear and is not nearly as interconnected as the original? Exploration is fun, this is actually THE thing that scares me off of the game.

-Is there really an issue where weapons degrade twice as fast as they should? Sounds potentially irritating.

Kind of. It's really fucking big though. And while there are some dud zones, the later ones are amazing, and the dlc areas are all swank.

Exploration is still really important and there's tons and tons of stuff to find, it's just a less cohesive world than the others - but it has more breadth for that.

No, there isn't. You have to pay attention to durability, but there are tons of tools to do so (ui/ingame/gameplay etc). If you use one weapon only for some reason I guess you could run into problems?

Corpekata

Banned

No clue who told you it was more linear. The game gives you a lot of paths to take at once, especially toward the beginning. It is not as interconnected though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I never understood the "dark souls 2 zones aren't connected" thing.

Sure there's 2 or 3 that she only accessible via some sort of "teleport" but then those have 5-6 zones in them connected just like Dark Souls. And you end up teleporting everywhere anyway who cares if you can't technical go from 1 end of the world to the other on foot

Off the top of my head:

Things betwix leads to Majula which leads to Forrest of Giants or Heide Tower or The gutter / The Gulch down the well. Oh and Grave of saints is down the Majula well too. Heide Tower then leads No Man's Wharf which leads to Lost Bastille via our first "teleport" (the boat), aka somewhere you can't just walk there.

Back to Forest of giants which also leads to Lost Bastille (also via a "teleport") but drops you on the other side of it (which I love).
That's just the starting zones off the top of my head. Seems connected to me, people talk like it's demons souls where you are almost chosing levels to teleport to

Victrix

*beard*
That's exactly the complaint?

Travel is mostly done via insta teleport bonfires, not via clever shortcuts through a cleanly connected world.

But the latter wouldn't really be practical anyway given DS2's size, and certain zones have plenty of DS style over and under shortcuts and byways, just not all of them.

burgerdog

The game feels weeeeeeeeeird after 90 hours of Bloodborne. Played for a little bit and made really good progress. The only thing that's killing me is that I'm rushing too much. I forget that I'm not a lv150 dude anymore.

Teeth

That's exactly the complaint?

Travel is mostly done via insta teleport bonfires, not via clever shortcuts through a cleanly connected world.

But the latter wouldn't really be practical anyway given DS2's size, and certain zones have plenty of DS style over and under shortcuts and byways, just not all of them.

It could, it would just need to take DS1's vertical pillar-world-with-loopback-spokes design to a more absurd degree. Really, it could have been interconnected using two pillars (or onions): pre-Castle and post-castle.

Would it have been better? Maybe a bit. Designing it would have been a nightmare for keeping the more varied vistas and lighting conditions they were going for in DS2 (where DS1 tends to have a lot more dungeons because everything needs to be under everything else).

Regardless, DS2 is still an amazing game and the 4 branches off the start works nicer than the 4 at the end of DS1. Still wish the end had more path variance at a macro level.

You can tell they learned a bunch about the level design as the DLCs are stellar in that regard. The second in particular is as good as the best areas in DS1.

Rhaknar

Just found this picture of Dark souls 2 "map"

As far as I can tell, the only "teleport jump", as in you cant go from point A to B just walking is in fact the way to Lost Bastille (via bird or boat), everything else is connected to Majula...so...whut? o_O

Picture in question, link since it names every zone

Teeth

Just found this picture of Dark souls 2 "map"

As far as I can tell, the only "teleport jump", as in you cant go from point A to B just walking is in fact the way to Lost Bastille (via bird or boat), everything else is connected to Majula...so...whut? o_O

Picture in question, link since it names every zone

It's not so much teleport jumps, it's that a bunch of the levels are built like pits of no return. Tseldora, Gutter, etc are places that once you go past a certain point, you can't go back. Even the most pit like levels in DS1 are navigable back up in some way.

I'm surprised how hard it is going back to DS2 from Bloodborne, but it is still an enjoyable experience. The animations feel really janky, is that because of the 60fps?

The weapon durability feels broken, and it is making me want to stop playing the PS4 version for now.. any chance this will be fixed? It seems to be associated with the frame rate increase.. so, it should be classified as a bug, right? I just spent all my souls on repairing my weapons, and I know they won't last me long!

HeelPower

Back to Forest of giants which also leads to Lost Bastille (also via a "teleport") but drops you on the other side of it (which I love)

Technically you can walk to the
bastille via heide's tower->no man's wharf which I find to be really impressive.

Anway I the lost bastille is my favorite area in the game by far.I also love the forrest of the fallen giants.

Rhaknar

Is there a place i can sell stuff or should i just destroy it? And what about a storage chest?

Yes you meet a vendor. He likes wheels.

Speaking of
Gavlan
, last time I met him he was in
Door of Pharros
, does he set up shop there? I need to go buy more poison arrows

I didn't know the ballista could friendly fire D:

sorry random guy who summoned me

Lol did you kill the host? :D

Damn so I just got a surpise.
In the undead crypt, I talked to Agdayne, but I forgot to kill the torch carrying guy. He aggros on me, and then proceeds to wreck me with his crew.
Not making that mistake again. >_>

If this were Demon's Souls I would be screwed. xD

Teeth

I'm surprised how hard it is going back to DS2 from Bloodborne, but it is still an enjoyable experience. The animations feel really janky, is that because of the 60fps?

The weapon durability feels broken, and it is making me want to stop playing the PS4 version for now.. any chance this will be fixed? It seems to be associated with the frame rate increase.. so, it should be classified as a bug, right? I just spent all my souls on repairing my weapons, and I know they won't last me long!

It's a design choice to encourage players to utilize more than one weapon. Your weapons auto-heal their durability at any bonfire as long as you don't break them (keep an eye on the red bar on the weapon icons on your hud).

The titanite is way more plentiful in DS2 than DS1...find two or three weapons you like and switch out your weapon near the boss (or use your second favourite weapon until near the boss then switch to your fresh one). There are way more bonfires in DS2 as well and usually there is one right before a boss anyway.

Also, repair powder is actually useful now.

Braag

Damn so I just got a surpise.
In the undead crypt, I talked to Agdayne, but I forgot to kill the torch carrying guy. He aggros on me, and then proceeds to wreck me with his crew.
Not making that mistake again. >_>

If this were Demon's Souls I would be screwed. xD

lol, that torch wielding guy is clearly put there to fuck you over, he doesn't attack you or anything, just follows you around with a torch. First thing I always do in that area is kill him :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Is there a place i can sell stuff or should i just destroy it? And what about a storage chest?

There is an NPC (who loves to wheel and deal) that will buy just about anything from you. He has three locations. Following standard world progression, the first two locations are one-off; meaning you'll be able to interact with him once, but he'll disappear if you die or rest at a bonfire. His final location is permanent, and he'll be there, accessible to you, through the rest of the game.

You have an item box at any bonfire that you can use to stash stuff.

tuna_love

Banned

They repair at bonfires for free?

It's a design choice to encourage players to utilize more than one weapon. Your weapons auto-heal their durability at any bonfire as long as you don't break them (keep an eye on the red bar on the weapon icons on your hud).

The titanite is way more plentiful in DS2 than DS1...find two or three weapons you like and switch out your weapon near the boss (or use your second favourite weapon until near the boss then switch to your fresh one). There are way more bonfires in DS2 as well and usually there is one right before a boss anyway.

Also, repair powder is actually useful now.

Ah, thank you. Good to know that my weapons auto-heal now!

Hugstable

Banned

What kind of build are you going for? Just pack yourself with 2 weapons at all times and keep upgrading both and switch off between them. Honestely that first section of the forest is the worst it gets for the durability issues. As a STR character, I'm always carrying my Bastard Sword +5 and my Bandit Axe +3 with me, and I've been fine through every section, with almost no durability issues at this point (1 primal bonfire lit, just got to Iron Keep.)

They repair at bonfires for free?

Yup as long as they don't break completely. Thankfully they give you a nice warning when they are at risk.

Why are you letting them break, are you even using a better weapon than the starting weapons that all have "broken" in their description? As the above poster just mentioned, sitting at a bonfire, which are everywhere, repairs them automatically. You're greeted with a huge warning that your weapon is at risk before breaking. Are you upgrading your weapons, and are you aware that increases their durability?

You don't have to answer all my questions, but it'd help me understand why yours are breaking and need of repair to the point where you want to put the game down.

Top Bottom