• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They only repair at bonfires for free if they are not fully broken. But you get a big ass red warning on the screen when a weapon is about to break and it's not like it happens in the next swing. So you really shouldn't be leting weapons fully break

Zocano

Wrapped up the main game, haven't tried out the DLCs.

Typing this just now I realized the DLCs probably have remixed enemy layouts, too.

92082-Stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-Qs97.gif

Loving the new enemy placements. Most areas aren't as clusterfucky, I feel, and when they are, they are simple enemies to take care of.

Shrine of Amana is a lot less horrible, too, I think. It is still pretty rough but the bit that was especially awful is much easier to handle now.

Ayt

Banned
Why are you letting them break, are you even using a better weapon than the starting weapons that all have "broken" in their description? As the above poster just mentioned, sitting at a bonfire, which are everywhere, repairs them automatically. You're greeted with a huge warning that your weapon is at risk before breaking. Are you upgrading your weapons, and are you aware that increases their durability?

You don't have to answer all my questions, but it'd help me understand why yours are breaking and need of repair to the point where you want to put the game down.

Upgrading weapons doesn't increase durability.

People really shouldn't be so hostile to new players having durability issues since it isn't explained at all in the game how it works.

Apparently the spiders hate fire. I feel stupid, but it's just another thing that's making this run rival my very first DS1 playthrough.

I didn't realize prior to this most recent playthrough and I LOVE it. Those spiders were one of the more irritating enemies for me. Actually I love everything they've done to make torches more useful in this version. The Torch actually feels like a pretty damn critical tool in your toolbox for a lot of different situations.

Abylim

Beat the game, after beating the DLC.

Holy shit, spent awhile on
Fume Knight
lastnight, beat him first try today.

Then
Sir Alonne
gave me problems, realized I was in the Champ Covenant, ditched that, and beat him. Then he
commited seppuku
, whats up with that?

Whats up with the
ending? I chose the original
, will choose the other option on my next playthrough.

Sooo, instead of going STR or STR/FTH like I usually do I decided to make a sort of melee hexer. Been really enjoying it. I love halberds so I got the Roaring Halberd with dark infusion along with a dark infused hammer.

What are some OP hex/pyro spells?

Beat the game, after beating the DLC.

Holy shit, spent awhile on
Fume Knight
lastnight, beat him first try today.

Then
Sir Alonne
gave me problems, realized I was in the Champ Covenant, ditched that, and beat him. Then he
commited seppuku
, whats up with that?

Whats up with the
ending? I chose the original
, will choose the other option on my next playthrough.

IIRC He does that if you beat him without getting hit even once. So, GG I guess. :p

Victrix

*beard*
People really shouldn't be so hostile to new players having durability issues since it isn't explained at all in the game how it works.

That applies about to just about everything in DS. Ask first instead of crying about a 'bug'.

"Durability bug" is the new Drake Sword, that is, something that somehow EVERYONE who enters the game has heard about without ever looking at a discussion or FAQ, and that everyone gets wrong.

It would be easier to give constructive answers if first posts were "Is there any way to make my weapons last longer? Surely it can't be this bad?" instead of inflammatory like "Fix this shitty durability bug you lazy-ass B-team developers!!!!121112!"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the second boss soul trader isnt in her usual room in
brightstone
, wtf? :(

the second boss soul trader isnt in her usual room in
brightstone
, wtf? :(

Did you free her from shaded ruins yet? You need to use a fragrant branch of yore lion mage statue next to the bonfire to get a key. She's in that area where those curse frogs are.

Ayt

Banned
Sooo, instead of going STR or STR/FTH like I usually do I decided to make a sort of melee hexer. Been really enjoying it. I love halberds so I got the Roaring Halberd with dark infusion along with a dark infused hammer.

What are some OP hex/pyro spells?

Not about specific spells, but the stone ring (which increases poise damage) also affects spells. That is a pretty big bonus to spellcasters people may not realize.

I haven't used a hexer in awhile, but I recall the very basic dark orb spell being very effective because it staggered most enemies and did a lot of damage. You could also find more than one copy in NG so you could have a ton of uses per rest.

Rhaknar

Did you free her from shaded ruins yet? You need to use a fragrant branch of yore lion mage statue next to the bonfire to get a key. She's in that area where those curse frogs are.

but that
door was locked? I thought it was this first, then she moved there lol.

also, the brightstone key is from the guy AFTER the boss, son of a bitch. gonna have to come back here for the rest of the items anyway.

so how do you open her door in shaded ruins?

edit WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT AFTER THE
SPIDER BOSS
? o_O that did NOT happen in vanilla!

sobaka770

Banned
Just found this picture of Dark souls 2 "map"

As far as I can tell, the only "teleport jump", as in you cant go from point A to B just walking is in fact the way to Lost Bastille (via bird or boat), everything else is connected to Majula...so...whut? o_O

Picture in question, link since it names every zone

Yeah, it all connects to Majula but otherwise the zones fell like tree branches. In DS1 you had a much more intricate design of confections,
e.g. Firelink Shrine connects to the Gardens via Undead Parish but also through Valley of Drakes straight to the Basin, same for Blighttown
which made the world feel joined. Connecting all levels to central hub via corridors and teleports is not the same.

but that
door was locked? I thought it was this first, then she moved there lol.

also, the brightstone key is from the guy AFTER the boss, son of a bitch. gonna have to come back here for the rest of the items anyway.

so how do you open her door in shaded ruins?

edit WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT AFTER THE
SPIDER BOSS
? o_O that did NOT happen in vanilla!

Did you see the petrified lion mage at the fallen tree near the bonfire? After you free him kill him and he'll drop the key to unlock the door to her
. Also, what happened after the boss fight?

SRTtoZ

Accomplished a lot today, got the entire Vengarl set and upgraded it a bit, switched out my large club +10 for the great club +10, got a few new +1 rings, bought a few boss soul weapons that scaled with STR and then consumed the ones I didn't want. The multiplayer in this game is fantastic, it works so fast and its very stable. I can't wait to try a new character and go full on mage, since its something I've never done in Souls games.

Rhaknar

Did you see the petrified lion mage at the fallen tree near the bonfire? After you free him kill him and he'll drop the key to unlock the door to her
. Also, what happened after the boss fight?

as I pressed the bonfire (my last one, not sure if that triggers it)
theres a explosion that knocks me back, and this huge man-thing looking monster comes out. you talk to him and he tells you to go see Vendrick
. Im sure ive never seen that before?

edit: nvm you just drop down now...weird change

PauliusM

Neo Member
So is it worth playing ng+? I tried a little only saw few red enemies after I beat 3 bosses so I wonder if its worth playing ng+?

Hugstable

Banned
Smelter Demon and the path you have to keep taking to him when you fail is seriously not fun in any way. I've been having alot of trouble honestly enjoying any of the areas recently like Harvest Valley, Earthen Peak, and Iron keep is just filled with Gank squads and Giant Arrows to go along with the gank squads. It's bullshit.

tuna_love

Banned
theres a explosion that knocks me back, and this huge man-thing looking monster comes out. you talk to him and he tells you to go see Vendrick

That's the scholar of the first sin. Comes after your last primal bonfire is lit.

Mogwai

So is it worth playing ng+? I tried a little only saw few red enemies after I beat 3 bosses so I wonder if its worth playing ng+?

Is it ever worth playing NG+?

Unless FromSoft changed a lot, there will be plenty of red phantoms waiting to kick your ass on NG+. If you like that, then it's worth it.

Smelter Demon and the path you have to keep taking to him when you fail is seriously not fun in any way. I've been having alot of trouble honestly enjoying any of the areas recently like Harvest Valley, Earthen Peak, and Iron keep is just filled with Gank squads and Giant Arrows to go along with the gank squads. It's bullshit.

That's been my main problem with this version so far. Definitely not what I was expecting the new enemy placement to be like. The increased aggro range doesn't help either.

Oh yeah that guy. It didn't happen to me there. It happened after I beat
The Rotten
. Almost yelped. :/

Upgrading weapons doesn't increase durability.

Just cause I asked a series of questions doesn't mean I was being hostile. I was curious about all those things. Also thanks for correcting me on the durability upgrade statement.

I started out with a Swordsman, and got my ass kicked far too many times. Ended up having to make a new character, a Cleric (which is a class I would never have thought to go for) and it's clicking for me a lot more now. The Mace is a great weapon, I just need to level my Strength up from 12 to 20 now, so I can get that Greatshield from Maughlin and go all Diablo 3-crusader style against these foes.

I did level my Dexterity up to 9, as I wanted to wield the Fire Longsword I found in Forest of Fallen Giants as a secondary weapon, to juggle durability effectively. Also, it's great to have the Healing Chalice for an additional 3 healing spells, along with Lifegems and Estus Flasks.

If anyone is struggling at the start like me, I'd recommend trying out a Cleric and seeing if it makes it any easier.

By the way, how do you get past that fireball-spitting guy in Forest of Fallen Giants where the Fire Longsword is found? Is there a new path beyond him?

tuna_love

Banned
I started out with a Swordsman, and got my ass kicked far too many times. Ended up having to make a new character, a Cleric (which is a class I would never have thought to go for) and it's clicking for me a lot more now. The Mace is a great weapon, I just need to level my Strength up from 12 to 20 now, so I can get that Greatshield from Maughlin and go all Diablo 3-crusader style against these foes.

I did level my Dexterity up to 9, as I wanted to wield the Fire Longsword I found in Forest of Fallen Giants as a secondary weapon, to juggle durability effectively. Also, it's great to have the Healing Chalice for an additional 3 healing spells, along with Lifegems and Estus Flasks.

If anyone is struggling at the start like me, I'd recommend trying out a Cleric and seeing if it makes it any easier.

By the way, how do you get past that fireball-spitting guy in Forest of Fallen Giants where the Fire Longsword is found? Is there a new path beyond him?
You can't get past him that way. Wont have to go in there for a while.

Rhaknar

man, something that hasnt changed from vanilla (for me of course) is...I dont like any of the weapons you trade :/ I feel like im wasting souls here (not that you cant get those easily anyway)

just traded a bunch of them at ornifax and mweh. either the requirements are shit (I dont want to get 20dex ffs) or the move sets are shit or they just look shit. Plus the fact that they need petrified bones to upgrade means you cant be trying them willy nilly.

thinking of upgrading this butchers knife, actually seems ok for my STR tank guy. I like the horizontal swings (faster than the greatsword) and aparently it heals you? might be a good weapin for trash? thoughts?

I already have a greatsword +10 and a zweihander +10

edit: or should I save the bones for some DLC weapon? I dont know any of those

SRTtoZ

The cleric mace and the fire Long sword are a great duo to wield, they both are good weapons especially the mace. It scales well and has good poise. I recommend upgrading them as much as you can instead of armor, always upgrade weapons. As for the spitting lizard things, you need a
key from Iron keep that opens a door near the first boss you fight in the game (the last giant), that will take you to the spot where the lizards are and can kill them and get some good items. Be warned, they are a bitch to kill.

Rhaknar

bracing knuckle ring +1 AND royal soldier ring +1 back to back?

DcsEBSh.gif

edit: FUCK!!!!!!!

.....do NOT use a greatshield heavy "attack" to check if chests are mimics >_< ffs

Lumberjackson

Neo Member
This is my first time playing DS2, so i don't know if this was in the vanilla version, too. Does anyone know how to get the corpse with the item on the scaffolding above and to the right of the
Flame Lizard cave in Forest of the Fallen Giants.
I tried to jump on it from the scaffolding on the opposite side, but that didn't work (naked or not) and ended up dying every time, even with the
Silvercat Ring
equipped.

This is my first time playing DS2, so i don't know if this was in the vanilla version, too. Does anyone know how to get the corpse with the item on the scaffolding above and to the right of the
Flame Lizard cave in Forest of the Fallen Giants.
I tried to jump on it from the scaffolding on the opposite side, but that didn't work (naked or not) and ended up dying every time, even with the
Silvercat Ring
equipped.
You're trying too early - that area is accessible through an entirely different route much later in the game.

Anyone else noticing a severe lack of summon signs on the ground? I think I've only seen 1 in 4 hours. I don't need some item to summon people do I?

Does anyone have any starting tips for a newcomer? Good class/stats?

Starting class only really matters for the first couple of hours, unless you know in advance what kind of character you want to play. Nice starting classes imo are Warrior, Knight or Cleric. They have decent HP and gear. You can level any stat you want so in theory you can try any build you want.
Warrior has nice starting stats for weapons, you can use 90% of the weapons you pickup in the early game. Try to get a new weapon as soon as possible, your starting sword is quite bad. Maybe get a better shield.
Knight is very balanced with the best HP. You start with a nice weapon, I would suggest to pickup a shield as soon as possible.
Cleric has extra heals. You start with a great weapon but you need to level strength once to wield it in one hand. I would suggest to pickup a shield as soon as possible. Downside is that your stamina, which governs your ability to keep attacking/dodging/blocking, is very low.

Anyone else noticing a severe lack of summon signs on the ground? I think I've only seen 1 in 4 hours. I don't need some item to summon people do I?

There should be loads of summon signs, especially near bonfires and bosses. You know that you have to be human? Otherwise you might be too high level for the area or you joined the Champion covenant

Joey Ravn

Banned
Starting class only really matters for the first couple of hours, unless you know in advance what kind of character you want to play.

While this is true for the vast majority of players, classes do make a difference if you're planning on min-maxing your build, and especially for PvP if you want to stay within a certain level range*. For example, if you know that you will be using a STR build and no spells, the Knight and the Thief are better starting classes than, say, the Warrior or the Deprived, since they have lower base "useless" stats (Faith, Intelligence). Even when respec with the Firekeepers, you can't go lower than the initial stats of your class, so a level or two (or three or four) in a useless stat can make a difference.

Soul Level kinda screws this in Dark Souls II, though.

purg3

slept with Malkin

I've only noticed this in No Man's so far, I was surprised to see no summons before Flexile Sentry. But other areas I've been to, I've noticed quite a few summon signs. Playing on xbox one.

I used to see loads. Then I got sidetracked, 'over leveled' and I've now only seen one non-npc summon in the last 8 or so hours of game time.

Top Bottom