• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

M.D

Game is more difficult than Demon's/Dark Souls so far but not for the right reasons

Only starting with one flask feels like a cheap way to make the game more difficult, and even tho I have 3 right now it doesn't help me when fighting the knight boss because it takes so long to drink he just kills me whenever I try to use it

I understand lifegems are supposed to be an answer to that but they are pretty rare at least at this stage

How rare are these Human Effigies?

addyb

Game is more difficult than Demon's/Dark Souls so far but not for the right reasons

Only starting with one flask feels like a cheap way to make the game more difficult, and even tho I have 3 right now it doesn't help me when fighting the knight boss because it takes so long to drink he just kills me whenever I try to use it

I understand lifegems are supposed to be an answer to that but they are pretty rare at least at this stage

You can buy life gems from the old hag vendor you first meet in the forest.

Victrix

*beard*

Not very. And yes, the early game is the worst part. It gets better.

It's fast and easy to coop to revive yourself early in the game, though I can't remember when/where you find the small soapstone.

elhav

In the beginning these items might seem rare, but later on in the game you'll be swimming in
lifegems, and effigies won't be a problem to get.

I'm surprised how hard it is going back to DS2 from Bloodborne, but it is still an enjoyable experience. The animations feel really janky, is that because of the 60fps?

The weapon durability feels broken, and it is making me want to stop playing the PS4 version for now.. any chance this will be fixed? It seems to be associated with the frame rate increase.. so, it should be classified as a bug, right? I just spent all my souls on repairing my weapons, and I know they won't last me long!

IDK I went back to check it out, I just really Like Dark Souls 2 better than Bloodborne, personally

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. You can go back to No-man's Wharf and the ship will be there. You may need to use a Bonfire Ascetic... I'm not sure, though.

You don't. I missed the chest the first time around too. Just go through no man's again using the shortcut and the chest will still be there.

phoenixyz

Difficulty is very uneven in general. Some bosses are much easier than the regular enemies in the area before or vice versa.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best way to get titanite? My highest level weapon is +3 and aside from the guy in Majula who only sells 10 pieces of titanite I'm not finding any titanite in the world...

addyb

So looks like ive missed a vendor from looking online in no man's wharf which I finished days ago. Is this a vendor you can sell stuff to? and finally where is he lol. I seem to recall a part of the level where I could see a guy behind a door but I couldn't open said door.

I'm surprised how hard it is going back to DS2 from Bloodborne, but it is still an enjoyable experience. The animations feel really janky, is that because of the 60fps?

The weapon durability feels broken, and it is making me want to stop playing the PS4 version for now.. any chance this will be fixed? It seems to be associated with the frame rate increase.. so, it should be classified as a bug, right? I just spent all my souls on repairing my weapons, and I know they won't last me long!

I am having trouble adjusting as well. Especially to not being able to drain back some health by going on the offensive. I'm struggling a bit with it tbh. Also man I wasn't super impressed with the graphics of bloodborne at first (just finished playing the order) but going back and forth between the two is a massive leap

la_briola

What's the best way to get titanite? My highest level weapon is +3 and aside from the guy in Majula who only sells 10 pieces of titanite I'm not finding any titanite in the world...

Ininite supply from
Stone Trader Chloanne
if you cleared
the Iron Keep
There is a second smith
in the Lost Bastille
, he sells an infinite amount of Large Titanite Shard.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hey shrine of amana is still a piece of shit, good to know! >_>

So looks like ive missed a vendor from looking online in no man's wharf which I finished days ago. Is this a vendor you can sell stuff to? and finally where is he lol. I seem to recall a part of the level where I could see a guy behind a door but I couldn't open said door.

That's him. You can open a door when you jump all the way down
after ringing the bell for the ship
or if you've opened the shortcut, run across the bridge, go left and up the ramp and there should be a door there along the wall. Go inside and head to the top.

DeaviL

Banned
I didn't know the ballista could friendly fire D:

sorry random guy who summoned me

This is why i stopped helping people with the pursuer, ye gods.

EDIT: in case of Iron keep trouble: You can jump to those stairs from the "entrance" rather than crossing the bridge first.

hey shrine of amana is still a piece of shit, good to know! >_>

It has gotten worse... I had a horrible night 2 days ago trying to get to the second bonfire..
I smashed my controller out of shear frustration and that hasn't happened to me since the original Ninja Gaiden....

Moosehole

Thats the guy you're looking for. There's a way around to the other side then you can open the door as a shortcut.

Edit- beaten

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm shrine of maan might break me... that or I need to go buy more arrows. which wont help me with the boss, which I remember being easy and now I just can kill

Gaf an NPC died during a boss fight. Am I screwed? It was
Lucatiel
Is there anyway for me to get that summon back or no?
If you defeated the boss, you have to use a bonfire ascetic to make that area effectively NG+ which ressurects the boss.

If you didn't defeat the boss, just summon again (when you're in human form). If it happens again, homebone out of the boss fight and try again.

If you defeated the boss, you have to use a bonfire ascetic to make that area effectively NG+ which ressurects the boss.

If you didn't defeat the boss, just summon again (when you're in human form). If it happens again, homebone out of the boss fight and try again.

The thing is she died so I quit the game. When I reentered, I went to her summon sign and it wasnt there so I just went and defeated the boss myself. If I had used the bonfire, would her summon sign have reappeared?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ininite supply from
Stone Trader Chloanne
if you cleared
the Iron Keep
There is a second smith
in the Lost Bastille
, he sells an infinite amount of Large Titanite Shard.

Got it thanks, haven't gotten to IK yet. I did beat LB though but never saw this smith; I must have missed an area.

addyb

That's him. You can open a door when you jump all the way down
after ringing the bell for the ship
or if you've opened the shortcut, run across the bridge, go left and up the ramp and there should be a door there along the wall. Go inside and head to the top.

Thats the guy you're looking for. There's a way around to the other side then you can open the door as a shortcut.

Edit- beaten

Thanks guys. Yep I guess I was that relieved to get the shortcut and see the ship I was outta there. Will check it out tonight. I have a fair bit to sell. Can you get a good soul return from him?

Rhaknar

fucking
scholar popped up again at undead crypt
and I almost shit my panties

at least im out of amana, but I saw so many items in the distance :( I need to see a youtube video how to get them or something. Good place for twinkling at least

M.D

You can buy life gems from the old hag vendor you first meet in the forest.

I did buy a bunch and for some reason thought she ran out of stock but checked again and they are still available. Thanks ;p

Not very. And yes, the early game is the worst part. It gets better.

It's fast and easy to coop to revive yourself early in the game, though I can't remember when/where you find the small soapstone.

I'm not in-game right now but I explored most if not all of that area and found a ton of items, pretty sure I got it.

In the beginning these items might seem rare, but later on in the game you'll be swimming in
lifegems, and effigies won't be a problem to get.

Exploring and a couple of drops from skeletons got me a bunch already, good to hear they are not rare ;)

Difficulty is very uneven in general. Some bosses are much easier than the regular enemies in the area before or vice versa.

That giant boss was definitely easy lol

I finally killed The Pursuer, just dodged learned his attacks instead of trying to block some of them and killed him with my 2 handed club with some magic on it
Took a look at his wiki page and it seems you can even fight him at different locations, that's pretty interesting. Fucker stabbed me in the back on that rooftop earlier ;p

I gotta say tho, the art style in this game is good but nowhere close to Demon's/Dark souls.. that shit was god-tier

Dimmle

Anyone have a hot tip on the location of Lucatiel's summon sign in Black Gulch? Looks like I've got to resurrect The Rotten.

Ended up picking this up on PS4 (remappable buttons won over the XboxOne version for me) and holy shit, at 1080p/60fps, it feels like a completely different/infinitely more polished game!

Also, lol at the item degrade rate. I'll get used to it. If anything it just encourages you to not use one weapon the whole damn game like Demon's/Dark1 :)

Caoz

Is the DX11 worth an extra $13?

I have $37 in my steam wallet right now. I could get the DX9 version for $3 more and not really feel the hit to my real wallet.

I could spend an extra $13 out of my real wallet and get the DX11 version.

DX9 supports mods and such.

DX11 looks ever so slightly better from what I understand.

What do?

DX11 looks very nice to my eyes. I got the upgrade because I didn't had the dlc but I have to admit I've been impress with the increased visuals. Looks very crisp to me and better lightning.

M.D

Ahh forget to ask, what's up with enemies not showing up after a while? seems like you need to kill them a certain number of times for this to happen?

Does it happen with all normal mobs?

Kazuhira

Anyone have a hot tip on the location of Lucatiel's summon sign in Black Gulch? Looks like I've got to resurrect The Rotten.

It´s near the fog gate that leads to The Rotten,the summon sign is near a a hidden bonfire.
It´s something like this,lol:

ytVKrlj.png

Ahh forget to ask, what's up with enemies not showing up after a while? seems like you need to kill them a certain number of times for this to happen?

Does it happen with all normal mobs?

Correct - enemies disappear after you've killed them a certain amount of times.

But they can be restored with a certain item (and even made tougher to kill with another).

addyb

Based on dark souls 2 wiki,joining the "Company of Champions" covenant in majula allows infinite spawns.
Although,enemies are tougher when you join this covenant.

Ahh ok so when leave the covenant it drops back to default difficulty?

Heysoos

I hate the little "you didn't quit properly" message because the only time I don't quit properly is when you freaking crash on me

Man the Brightstone Cove boss fight,
Freja Spider
, is a lot more manageable in this version. That boss battle gave me a lot of trouble in the OG version due to
all those fucking spiders
. Now you can
light a torch and the spiders will run away!

Also I think I missed the
Pate/Creighton
quest again. What do you need to do to complete it?
I spoke to Pate in Forest of Giants, got the soapstone and summoned him. Spoke the Creighton in Huntsmans Copse. Spoke to Pate in Earthen Keep and got his gear. Spoke to Creighton in Shaded Woods. Couldn't find them in Brightstone Cove.

Heysoos

So I've been joining pursuer fights and since bad things happen whenever I'm on the ballista I focus on setting him up for getting shot. But people seem to eager to come take him away from me and fuck up all the positioning

Kazuhira

Ahh ok so when leave the covenant it drops back to default difficulty?

I never tried this covenant tbh but yeah,it should return to the default difficulty.
But give it a try,kill a random enemy 15 times and see if it still spawns after that.

addyb

I never tried this covenant tbh but yeah,it should return to the default difficulty.
But give it a try,kill a random enemy 15 times and see if it still spawns after that.

Will do. Basically a desperately need a pale stone to respec so going to farm the old knights at heides

Hugstable

Banned
Correct - enemies disappear after you've killed them a certain amount of times.

But they can be restored with a certain item (and even made tougher to kill with another).

Wait how do you restore them normally without using the Bonfire Ascetic to make them stronger? I just learned about this right now in Iron Keep, no enemies seem to be spawning anymore since I've been banging my head against this stupid Smelter Demon area bullshit, but I've pretty much lost all the souls I've gathered from here each time, and if the enemies don't come back I pretty much screwed up all those possible souls :(. How do I go about restoring them normally? Enemies in Iron Keep seemed to be giving good soul amounts and I would be sad to lose them forever.

Also is there any good tips for Smelter Demon? I just can't figure this fight out, die each time at the exact same point, when he has like 33% health left. Is there a fire resist ring I can already have at this point (I saw some areas where I need to run on fire rocks, but I know I can't do it yet so I assume there is a fire resist ring like DS1?). Also where can I get more of the fire resist consumable? I had like 1, but failed when using it so now I have nothing.

Top Bottom