• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
new fun activity: cleaning up zones of every item using video guides. theres shit here I would NEVER find in a million years

Lost Sinner down. Feels like that probably should have been harder. He never really got my health into any dangerous numbers and seemed to be a matter of just roll right to not get hit. Ah well, problem is where next? I can't remember what I'm supposed to do afterwards.

pager99

Got the flame ring in forest of the fallen giants and man that was a pain in the ass, just jumping over that gap is difficult enough then I had to deal with the fire lizards then I was getting invaded and would have to start all over again and 3 hrs later I finally have it
going to use it in iron keep with flash sweat to get some items

Red Hood

Banned
I got stuck at
Drangleic Castle
in a room with statues and some of the statues come to life. I've beaten everything in that room but there was no way through. So I looked it up and apparently you have to
kill them next to each of those door things
. Well, talk about something completely random. I haven't seen or done anything like that in the entire game and now they expect me to do it out of the blue. Lol, okay.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying my time with it. Albeit not the most original and maybe memorable entry in the Souls series, but definitely the most polished one with the best gameplay in general.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm rocking the heide knight armour. Love it.

Same, been using Heide Knight armor for awhile, but my Boots and Gloves are the Dangleic Armor stuff. Don't know where I can find a good lighter armor though so I can wield my Demons Mace or Greatsword later.

addyb

Can rings be repaired? One of mine broke when I
fell down a hole just past shaded woods and some acid puddles got me.

Wait how do you restore them normally without using the Bonfire Ascetic to make them stronger? I just learned about this right now in Iron Keep, no enemies seem to be spawning anymore since I've been banging my head against this stupid Smelter Demon area bullshit, but I've pretty much lost all the souls I've gathered from here each time, and if the enemies don't come back I pretty much screwed up all those possible souls :(. How do I go about restoring them normally? Enemies in Iron Keep seemed to be giving good soul amounts and I would be sad to lose them forever.

Also is there any good tips for Smelter Demon? I just can't figure this fight out, die each time at the exact same point, when he has like 33% health left. Is there a fire resist ring I can already have at this point (I saw some areas where I need to run on fire rocks, but I know I can't do it yet so I assume there is a fire resist ring like DS1?). Also where can I get more of the fire resist consumable? I had like 1, but failed when using it so now I have nothing.

Maybe I'm remembering the items wrong, but the difficulty jump is different between the champion's covenant and the bonfire ascetic. The ascetic jump isn't nearly as hard, and you will likely really not notice any difference if you want to continue farming a single area.

Now the Champion's covenant - forget that. Noticeably tougher.

addyb

Same, been using Heide Knight armor for awhile, but my Boots and Gloves are the Dangleic Armor stuff. Don't know where I can find a good lighter armor though so I can wield my Demons Mace or Greatsword later.

Yep same as me. Boots and gloves are drangelic (spelling?)

Maybe me should spend more time together lol.

trw

Wait how do you restore them normally without using the Bonfire Ascetic to make them stronger? I just learned about this right now in Iron Keep, no enemies seem to be spawning anymore since I've been banging my head against this stupid Smelter Demon area bullshit, but I've pretty much lost all the souls I've gathered from here each time, and if the enemies don't come back I pretty much screwed up all those possible souls :(. How do I go about restoring them normally? Enemies in Iron Keep seemed to be giving good soul amounts and I would be sad to lose them forever.

Also is there any good tips for Smelter Demon? I just can't figure this fight out, die each time at the exact same point, when he has like 33% health left. Is there a fire resist ring I can already have at this point (I saw some areas where I need to run on fire rocks, but I know I can't do it yet so I assume there is a fire resist ring like DS1?). Also where can I get more of the fire resist consumable? I had like 1, but failed when using it so now I have nothing.

Just coop Smelter Demon and/or Iron King and you will get more souls faster. Also check in with the rock lady you met in harvest valley, I think she has some fire resistance stuff, or I'm just misremembering and it's the one at the iron keep entrance that has some.

Hugstable

Banned
Just coop Smelter Demon and/or Iron King and you will get more souls faster. Also check in with the rock lady you met in harvest valley, I think she has some fire resistance stuff, or I'm just misremembering and it's the one at the iron keep entrance that has some.

haha I will finish him solo! I've never summoned for help on a Souls boss before and I'm not gonna start now!

My pride is gonna end me in this game lol

Would someone give me a hint of just the area name where the Dull Ember is located? I'm having so much fun exploring this version, but Mcduff's help earlier than usual would help me right now. Thanks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It´s near the fog gate that leads to The Rotten,the summon sign is near a a hidden bonfire.
It´s something like this,lol:

ytVKrlj.png
motherofgod :lol

Hugstable

Banned
So if I used my Bonfire Ascetic in the first bonfire of Iron Keep, will it be pretty much the same enemies, or is it going to get way way tougher? Also if I use Ascetic here, does the area get affected in NG+ as well?

DeaviL

Banned
So if I used my Bonfire Ascetic in the first bonfire of Iron Keep, will it be pretty much the same enemies, or is it going to get way way tougher? Also if I use Ascetic here, does the area get affected in NG+ as well?

If you use it it'll basically make anything after it until the next bonfire NG+.
NG+ will make the area NG++.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I did buy a bunch and for some reason thought she ran out of stock but checked again and they are still available. Thanks ;p

She only has 10 when encountered in the Forest of the Fallen Giants. By the time she relocates to Majula (or not long afterwards), she'll have updated her inventory.

On that note, it's not a bad idea to rotate through the vendors after every big boss fight or other significant milestone. Merchant inventories are not static.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Could be lag. Don't see why he would need to heal if he was cheating. Unless that's what he wants us to think

psychotron

I just went to Best Buy and picked this up. I'm still neck deep in Bloodborne, but besides about an hour with Demons Souls I've never played Souls games before. I'm so hooked on Bloodborne I felt compelled to buy this. What major differences should I expect? Do you think this will seem more difficult? I'm both excited and nervous, lol.

la_briola

I reported the person in question with a description to what happened and linked to the video.

Let Valve be the judge (nothing will come of this, I'm sure).

Red Hood

Banned
I just went to Best Buy and picked this up. I'm still neck deep in Bloodborne, but besides about an hour with Demons Souls I've never played Souls games before. I'm so hooked on Bloodborne I felt compelled to buy this. What major differences should I expect? Do you think this will seem more difficult? I'm both excited and nervous, lol.

I don't have a PS4 yet but I suppose the biggest gameplay difference should be less agility and the ability to (effectively) equip a shield. I'm told shields aren't very feasible in Bloodborne.

Ayt

Banned

I wouldn't suggest using the bonfire ascetic because it isn't reversible. If you really want the enemies to come back, join the champion's covenant (which you can later leave) and go back and see how much harder the enemies are. You could also just not worry about the souls you lost because farming them back if needed really isn't that difficult in this game.

Dimmle

Is it worth leveling Vigor and Endurance past 20? Got them both to 20 a while ago.

Probably depends on your level of confidence. Endurance soft caps at 20 apparently but if you tend to take a lot of damage then vigor might be worth continued investment.

drotahorror

I got stuck at
Drangleic Castle
in a room with statues and some of the statues come to life. I've beaten everything in that room but there was no way through. So I looked it up and apparently you have to
kill them next to each of those door things
. Well, talk about something completely random. I haven't seen or done anything like that in the entire game and now they expect me to do it out of the blue. Lol, okay.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying my time with it. Albeit not the most original and maybe memorable entry in the Souls series, but definitely the most polished one with the best gameplay in general.

Before you entered
Drangelic Castle
you definitely had to do the same thing to get the doors to open :p You might not have noticed though.

Is it worth leveling Vigor and Endurance past 20? Got them both to 20 a while ago.

Vigor is useful until 50, especially with the Life Ring as you will receive greater benefits with higher Vigor. 20 is really low. If you have points to spare I'd also suggest getting your Endurance to 30 but that's not too important.

Any advice for
Darklurker
? I'm melee focused

Up until the split, it should be manageable as all its attacks are hugely telegraphed. Get used to the timing to dodge them all and you should be fine. During the split, get as much damage as you can since hitting both will deal twice as much. After that, you need to play conservatively. Don't lock on, and always keep your camera at an angle where you can see both. Get hits when you can, but focus more on dodging. The attacks are still hugely telegraphed, but you will likely only get one or two attacks each opening. The most important part is to always make sure you can see both of them.

Any advice for
Darklurker
? I'm melee focused

Circle around him and dodge under his melee attack or direct spell. If he does either of those you can go ham on him a bit before he'll do another attack.

If he raises his hands up in the air and a red ball appears, break target and just run in a circle, they won't hit you.

If he summons some black balls in the air then break target with him, run away, and then just kinda run a circuit at mid-far range until the ball of dark he shoots at you flies past. Then close back in to reengage.

He does a thing where he flies in the air and shoots a beam at the ground but as a melee character this seemed sorta negligible. I just threw daggers at him when he did it.

When he splits into two, depending on the weapon you're using you might be able to hit both versions of him at the same time. It's a good time to get in a little extra damage. Just keep moving after this point and get hits in when you can but don't stop moving unless you can account for BOTH of them and have an opening.

I was able to get pretty lucky on this one as a double greatsword user as I was able to nail both of his copies with a double overhand swing as he split which took him from like 50% to 10% in a second. Felt great.

Korosenai

Probably depends on your level of confidence. Endurance soft caps at 20 apparently but if you tend to take a lot of damage then vigor might be worth continued investment.

Vigor is useful until 50, especially with the Life Ring as you will receive greater benefits with higher Vigor. 20 is really low. If you have points to spare I'd also suggest getting your Endurance to 30 but that's not too important.

Uh, yeah. It definitely is. Get your endurance to 40 for the true cap, more stamina is never a bad thing, and health is always useful.
ill probably try to get them up to 35 for vigor and 30 for endurance then.

demonkaze

I'm stuck bashing my head against the wall trying to kill
Fume Knight
(dlc 2 boss spoiler). I'm a pure dex build dual wielding rapier weapons and I can't do it. Doesn't help that there seems to be no summon signs here, what soul memory level are people normally doing this?

Top Bottom