• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

RiggyRob

Dicked around a bit exploring Firelink Shrine (Andre's accent is hilarious by the way)
and the High Wall of Lothric (headphones warning at the end, might be slightly louder than you expect): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvWXAAGrF5Q&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=4

FROMSoft aren't afraid of throwing you in the deep end, eh? Fucking
dragons in the first proper area you get to explore. At least it's useful to kill the common mooks, it'd be a pain to fight past them every time. I feel like the knight had a deceptively long range to his attacks, I suppose the hitbox extends to the very tip of the sword.

Also, fuck that goddamn mimic right at the end, just when I was saying they wouldn't put one in so early. Unbelievable.

LiK

the last 2 eps of ENB are a riot. Love that he's doing his older editing style again and I legit lol'd during that Sirrus and Hawkwood part in the latest ep.

I can't find the OT for Dark Souls 1 and I don't know where else to put this. I started Dark Souls a couple days ago and was looking forward to the claw weapons, but I keep reading about how much they suck. Is there a way to make them viable, and how do they compare to something like daggers and katanas? Could they be worked into a poisoner build at the same time? Do they get better in Dark Souls 2 and 3? This is for single player.

Tarkus

I can't find the OT for Dark Souls 1 and I don't know where else to put this. I started Dark Souls a couple days ago and was looking forward to the claw weapons, but I keep reading about how much they suck. Is there a way to make them viable, and how do they compare to something like daggers and katanas? Could they be worked into a poisoner build at the same time? Do they get better in Dark Souls 2 and 3? This is for single player.
Here is the link for mobile

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755000

How much they suck is down to how much like the moveset or not. Any way to make them viable would just be by increasing the stats they scale with. I suppose you could use poison resin if you wanted to a poison build and then also use poison/toxic pyro and consumables to compliment. You can't infuse weapons with poison like in 2 and 3.

poodpick

LOL...really? its a thing to get salty over r1 spam? I dont PVP much owing to it, but to get salty and try to prevent people from doing it is insane...talk about unrealistic expectations.....Im no good at pvp but surely a parry is an easy way to deal with an r1 spammer?

....and me... this is the first DS that I dont have at least one copy of on a console......owing solely to FROM giving us a bone with a simultaneous release date.

Are you saying that I was R1 spamming? I did 2 R1s at most. I was mixing is up with charged R2s, charged R2s into R2, and weapon arts. R1 spammers are ridiculously easy to beat unless you're getting ganked.

I hope it's the former. It's not logical that a glove can parry my large sword.

And a small leather nipple shield doesn't make much more sense either.

After trying it myself seems is the second one, at least the second one is a sure thing.

Edit: Why people needs to summon 3 people the beat a damn boss?, most of the time it makes the fight to chaotic. There's a dude right now that is going in circles trying to get the 3rd summon for several minutes already.

Reading about changes to caestus parry and straight sword recovery times is making me worry...

Does this mean I can't parry the 3rd attack in an R1 spam from a straight sword with 100% consitency anymore with the caestus? Logging on to check is out right now... That was my ultimate anti-gank move D:

Alo0oy

Banned
Parrying with the Manikin Claws seems fine, I don't think they reduced the parrying frames.

Although better testing is needed, it works fine on Dark Sword R1 spammers, haven't tested it on more skilled players.

EDIT: I think parrying with fist weapons is trash now, I tried parrying an invader that had a moonlight greatsword, the parrying frames seem to be as bad as standard shiels.

Parrying with the Manikin Claws seems fine, I don't think they reduced the parrying frames.

Although better testing is needed, it works fine on Dark Sword R1 spammers, haven't tested it on more skilled players.

EDIT: I think parrying with fist weapons is trash now, I tried parrying an invader that had a moonlight greatsword, the parrying frames seem to be as bad as standard shiels.

All people back to nipple shields...shit.

Alo0oy

Banned
I lost 3 million Souls because from decided that you drop your souls when you die in invasions, I don't know whose bright idea was it.

My fault for rushing towards my souls running past 3 Pontiff Knights, who proceeded to wreck me, but dropping souls on invasions is a terrible idea, I don't have time to navigate towards my souls every time I lose an invasion.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I lost 3 million Souls because from decided that you drop your souls when you die in invasions, I don't know whose bright idea was it.

My fault for rushing towards my souls running past 3 Pontiff Nights, who proceeded to wreck me, but dropping souls on invasions is a terrible idea, I don't have time to navigate towards my souls every time I lose an invasion.
Yeah it's annoying. I typically clear the map of mobs before starting to invade but it's a bit tedious. Sometimes when invading in the dungeon, if the host made it as far as the capital and down that big-ass ladder, I just black crystal out. If I die down there I don't want to climb down that ladder, pick up my stain and climb back up to return to the dungeon where I want to be invading. :\

Soulhouf

Yeah it's annoying and I used to forget that I loose my souls when I die in an invasion.
Now I always spend all the souls I have before I start invading. I lost so many souls before because of this shit.

pretty sure it was suggested that the patch will prevent the move completely now where in the past you could still do the move but it wouldn't do extra damage.

NOOOOOOOO! I liked doing cartweels :(. It's my entering move from Fight Clubs, when it's my turn I just do the cartwheel then I fall down, it looks super silly lol.

Before patch, some weapons just needed 1 FP to trigger, bypassing the FP cost, when the bar was almost empty. Now they need half the FP cost, instead 1 FP.

Yeah, some wp don't work without FP.

Ah I get you now. If I can still do my silly cartwheel I don't mind, but that's a reasonable comprimise for weapons that need FP to actually work, like warcry I think.

I just realized that Dragonslayer Armor isn't the guy himself but his empty possessed armor. Probably being possessed by the butterfly pilgrims. But for what purpose do they block your path, and why?

Heh, first time I went in I was like...really? Another homage to Orinstien? Then I saw armour and was like I wonder if it's empty? Soul item confirmed it :p.

My fault for rushing towards my souls running past 3 Pontiff Knights, who proceeded to wreck me, but dropping souls on invasions is a terrible idea, I don't have time to navigate towards my souls every time I lose an invasion.

To make invading punishable? People would just invade near their bonfire and if they die, there is absolutely no consequence because they just pick up their souls right away. Now you have a semi-punishment(unless you're like me who isn't leveling anymore and has wasted well over 10million souls on consumables :p).

FROMSoft aren't afraid of throwing you in the deep end, eh? Fucking
dragons in the first proper area you get to explore. At least it's useful to kill the common mooks, it'd be a pain to fight past them every time. I feel like the knight had a deceptively long range to his attacks, I suppose the hitbox extends to the very tip of the sword.

Also, fuck that goddamn mimic right at the end, just when I was saying they wouldn't put one in so early. Unbelievable.

Didn't DaS 1 do that with a hellkite? AND put a demon as a tutorial boss? Come on man! Get it together!

Anyways, logged into Dark Souls 3 super excited to see how many arrows one can carry:
99/99
99/600

My heart shattered ;_;

Mistel

Banned
Heh, first time I went in I was like...really? Another homage to Orinstien? Then I saw armour and was like I wonder if it's empty? Soul item confirmed it :p.
Dragonslayer armor isn't even Ornstein's armor so it's not really a homage in the sense unlike the dark Ornstein from two who was much more a homage.

Tarkus

I can't wait to try my hyper aggressive playstyle with these new adjustments. I've been boinged off of the Caestus so many times.

Alo0oy

Banned
To make invading punishable? People would just invade near their bonfire and if they die, there is absolutely no consequence because they just pick up their souls right away. Now you have a semi-punishment(unless you're like me who isn't leveling anymore and has wasted well over 10million souls on consumables :p).

Do invaders really need punishing, though? They invade a world with 70% less health, half their estus flasks, often fighting against 2+ people.

Good players probably have a ~30% success rate against ganks, and they're gonna have to slog their way to the blood stain 7 out of every 10 invasions, the average player probably has ~10% success rate (maybe even less).

It's extremely annoying when retrieving your blood stain takes longer than an actual invasion, it doesn't add a challenge, it doesn't make you learn anything, all it does is is make losing invasions extremely annoying.

So far it seems like my caestus parrying the 3rd R1 of an R1 spam isn't working anymore... Gonna keep trying. But I was doing it with 100% consistency on my other character only yesterday... :(

That doesn't bode well for my Kylo Ren cosplay invader character... Kylo Ren don't use no shields!

I just realized that I've been jumping off a small cliff onto an empty cart most of the times I wanted to go to the tower in Undead Settlement.

Time to put a message: "assassin only shortcut"

That doesn't bode well for my Kylo Ren cosplay invader character... Kylo Ren don't use no shields!
I thought Kylo Ren was
one of the guys you fight right after Pontiff, the one with the Kylo Ren hair and the Drang armor and the Drang Spears.

I just realized that I've been jumping off a small cliff onto an empty cart most of the times I wanted to go to the tower in Undead Settlement.

Time to put a message: "assassin only shortcut"

I thought Kylo Ren was
one of the guys you fight right after Pontiff, the one with the Kylo Ren hair and the Drang armor and the Drang Spears.

looool. I see it now, can't believe I didn't see it before.

Do invaders really need punishing, though? They invade a world with 70% less health, half their estus flasks, often fighting against 2+ people.

Good players probably have a ~30% success rate against ganks, and they're gonna have to slog their way to the blood stain 7 out of every 10 invasions, the average player probably has ~10% success rate (maybe even less).

It's extremely annoying when retrieving your blood stain takes longer than an actual invasion, it doesn't add a challenge, it doesn't make you learn anything, all it does is is make losing invasions extremely annoying.

Well, yeah. That's not really a punishment, it's an inconvenience. If you die due to having less health, less Estus, and ganked but be able to pick up your souls up right after you just lost some time. Now you're at risk of losing souls. You could always put down an invasion sign to have honour duels. Unless you're the type of person that likes to hault the players progression :mad:!

Dragonslayer armor isn't even Ornstein's armor so it's not really a homage in the sense unlike the dark Ornstein from two who was much more a homage.

Well I meant it as in I walked in and saw the name. It also didn't help that it looked very similar to him and I went into panic mode because he hits like a truck.

Alo0oy

Banned
Well, yeah. That's not really a punishment, it's an inconvenience. If you die due to having less health, less Estus, and ganked but be able to pick up your souls up right after you just lost some time. Now you're at risk of losing souls. You could always put down an invasion sign to have honour duels. Unless you're the type of person that likes to hault the players progression :mad:!

I like fighting ganks, I lose most of the time, but it's fun.

I use duels to test out new builds/weapons though.

Is this just placebo or did they finally fix the plunge attack animation? Before your weapon didn't come out until the exact frame you the ground, but now I'm noticing skid marks as a weapon scrapes against the wall.

Top Bottom