• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Anyone on pc and have a clean falchion? I cant seem to get one to drop and with how tight mats are early on I dont wanna invest into a different weapon.

Edit: Nvm finally got it

Jabba

Banned
Just bought Dark Souls 3, finished Bloodborne but not all the Dlc, took a hiatus at Ook. Never really tried OoK much, maybe 4 times. Skill wise I'm ok. I should be able to handle this?

I still haven't run into any cheaters on PC. Not even the cheeky bad players using invincibility to get through the game, and I've been invading all over the place at various Soul Levels.

Melchiah

Shout out to iRAWRasaurus, you da best. Thanks amigo.They almost never do. If anything is affected, it's often the other way around. Certain spells, buffs, attacks, and items have differing effectiveness in PVP. PVP balance changes rarely affect PVE.

That's good to hear. Although, I don't think I'll be replaying the game. I just don't have such an urge to do so, as I did with BB. I'll return to it once the DLC is released though.

RiggyRob

...Are you new to Souls games?

Pretty much, the first one I played was Bloodborne, so that's the one I'm basing my expectations off of as DSII is so dissimilar to the rest (allegedly).

I'm a new convert to FromSoft's ways within the space of 9 months (Bloodborne at the time of the Old Hunters DLC -> Scholar of the First Sin in January since it was mega cheap -> DSIII now because Pimmsy enjoyed watching/playing the others herself so much).

NOOOOOOOO! I liked doing cartweels :(. It's my entering move from Fight Clubs, when it's my turn I just do the cartwheel then I fall down, it looks super silly lol.

Ah I get you now. If I can still do my silly cartwheel I don't mind, but that's a reasonable comprimise for weapons that need FP to actually work, like warcry I think.

Didn't DaS 1 do that with a hellkite? AND put a demon as a tutorial boss? Come on man! Get it together!

Did it? I wouldn't know, see above. I'm not complaining as such - I mean if you want to impress people from the get go, dragons are pretty good way of doing it.

You get the feeling of excitement/danger of being a part of a world which is much bigger than you, sets the tone by being an early set piece/obstacle to manoeuvre around, and of course - it's fucking dragons. People love dragons.

Sweet, the new patch really fixed alot of stuff i disliked about the pvp. Caestus spammers can now be backstabpunished and thank god for that.

Oh also, if there's more estoc shitters out there who wants the pre-adjustment r1 speed, just put it in your offhand.

I'll stay with the new estoc speed, feels exactly like dks1 and it was my favourite weapon there.

Ferr986

For my pyro friends, seems like Chaos Vestiges fires faster now. Reddit is reporting it works on all orbs but I don't feel a difference with Chaos Fireball.

Also again they're reporting that the spells rings got buffed but I don't see any damage difference in pyro. Maybe is just for sorcerers?

Tonight is the night (in Yurop at least lol), gentlemen.

Prepare the meta!

Same as last time:

PS4

Saturday 21:00 GMT (9:00 pm)

That's 16:00 EST (4:00 pm) and 14:00 PDT (2:00 pm)

Take care about your summer times and all, here's a cool site to compare timezones and hours:

http://time.is/compare

That dosn't mean we'll start exactly at that hour, but rather a time to put in common so we'll know more or less when to start. We probably will stay for some time, so just join when you can.

Rules:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

- First buff is free, both players can buff once before attacking each other, any other buff will have to happen midfight.

I'm keeping the old spreadsheet, so update your info or join at will

Quote to see it

PC people are free to use the spreadsheet and organize a paralel event.
But majority of people are on PS4, I hope you can have some fun too.

Elysium was very kind to host like 90% of the time. So please let's try to share this duty, we can host matches on High Wall or After Pointiff, dosn't matter, just remember to keep the boss alive.

Soulhof was very kind to create a GAF DS3 community(PS4) for this, later I'll add the people that is not there.

Last event was great, let's repeat it!

I wonder how often I can invade the Fight Club, if I spam the Red Eye Orb at High Wall.

I could be the designated purple that tries to take out the host.

Just bought Dark Souls 3, finished Bloodborne but not all the Dlc, took a hiatus at Ook. Never really tried OoK much, maybe 4 times. Skill wise I'm ok. I should be able to handle this?

You'll be fine. I think Dark Souls 3, similar to Bloodborne, is a little top heavy in its difficulty. Its really tough to gauge how challenging it is compared to the previous games as we all have so much time invested in them now but once you've a couple of Estus Shards and Undead Bone Shards its smooth sailing.

If you're having trouble with the first boss just remember
you can get a few good hits on him while hes transforming, and hes weak to fire afterwards making fire bombs very helpful. He is pretty difficult to read in this state so play it safe.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah you'll be fine.

Pretty much, the first one I played was Bloodborne, so that's the one I'm basing my expectations off of as DSII is so dissimilar to the rest (allegedly).
Ah. Well, Demon's Souls has a red dragon burning a bridge right at the beginning too, so does Dark Souls. DS2 Scholar of the First Sin also has a red drake spewing fire on a bridge fairly early on too.

In other words, all Souls games other than BB have that trope. :p

pringles

Finally finished the game, took almost exactly 50 hours.

Started to feel pretty tedious towards the end. Definitely have some series fatigue. Still a great game though. Maybe my favorite of the series in terms of environments, bosses and overall gameplay. But terrible, terrible NPC quests, broken covenants, broken summoning and being a bit too familiar drag it down.

Probably not going to 100% this one like I did DS1 and 2.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
What's a good place to farm embers on an SL1 run? (Boss summons)

I have a +9 weapon. Does that affect matchmaking?

I've finally caught up to where my previous attempt at a randomized character was at and even surpassed the wall that character was at.

I got a +4 Battle Axe like I said I would. Pyromancer sucks at killing the dragon in High Wall even with a better spell, so I had to attune six Ashen Estus just to pull it off.

I decided to fight Abyss Watchers first this time, because I felt like my character could do it. After a string of being bad at the fight (I still don't understand why Abyss Watchers are considered easy unless you do it as late as possible) I remembered that I forgot to kill the
Stray Demon
for the Heave Boulder spell. Thankfully that was a lot more doable with a character with a +4 Battle Axe and some health.

The Boulder Heave spell turned out to be the difference in the Abyss Watchers fight.
I used it to hit him on wakeup after a backstab, and in the 2nd phase it was doubly useful because the second phase has more punishable attacks.
It actually does great damage, it just has a lot of start up frames (about as much as Heavy Soul Arrow pre-patch). After that fight the dice roller gave me Endurance and Intelligence. Endurance good, Intelligence, not so much.

Crystal Sage
fight gave me Faith (again, evening out my Pyromancy scaling conveniently), and, for the first time in two characters and dozens of rolls of a d9, the dice roller finally gave me Dex to level up. This lets me use straight swords finally, but I may end up sticking with the Battle Axe since it's already upgraded and it's just barely fast enough that it hits enemies (unlike Uchigatana which is just barely too slow).

I will be tackling the Cathedral next.

You could just play an unpatched copy but technically you can still cartwheel as havel post DWGR nerf just it is not worth the investment to do so. There's still Havel Mom / Dad build as well for ninja rolling heavy armor.

I wanna do it PvP though, that's the thing D:. O well, rip Full Havel Ninja Flips PvP.

Did it? I wouldn't know, see above. I'm not complaining as such - I mean if you want to impress people from the get go, dragons are pretty good way of doing it.

You get the feeling of excitement/danger of being a part of a world which is much bigger than you, sets the tone by being an early set piece/obstacle to manoeuvre around, and of course - it's fucking dragons. People love dragons.

Heh yeah, just throw down a dragon to make things interesting. Gotta love Souls games.

Youll mostly find cheaters at the 120 level.

I'm SL 135, never gotten a cheater :p. I've had lag problems where everyone(host included) slides around like they're on ice but that happened at all SLs.

Trying to catch up, what weapons did the patch nerf and buff guys? Cheers

Patch notes suck for that, they just say "made adjustments to" >:[

What's a good place to farm embers on an SL1 run? (Boss summons)

I have a +9 weapon. Does that affect matchmaking?

The Lothric Knights have a decent drop rate, also, enemies with glowing red eyes generally drop em too.

Yes. If you have a +9 weapon only people with a +6 or a +10 can summon you(+3 or +5 if we're talking about weapons that only go to +5)

It's amazing how much
Archdragon Peak and Untended Graves
areas resonated with me. What a great way to top off an already great game.

Archdragon Peak was the biggest fresh air in the series for me...literally. The atmosphere in that place was unlike anything I've seen before. Architecture and environment took my breath away. Lothoric in the distance was nice touch. It makes me yearn for a more picturesque Souls game some day.

Untended Graves was shocking to me because it made me really wonder what exactly what was going on in this game's world. The dead firelink shrine and it's surroundings filled me with a sense of pure dread. I haven't delved into the lore too much but I am utterly fascinated now.

Can't wait to delve into NG+.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
lol...

Doing my SL 1 Run. Went to fight Hawkwood, accidently threw an alluring skull and he went after it.

lol...

Doing my SL 1 Run. Went to fight Hawkwood, accidently threw an alluring skull and he went after it.

That works for De
acons of the deep too.

Edit: I wonder when it'll be acceptable to no longer spoiler tag boss names? Game has been out for a couple months now, nearing three months

Any tips on how to use/build the Dancer's swords? From what I understand low damage is it's main downside, so stuff like Flynn ring and Right eye and clutch rings?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I just got this game. I summoned a guy named Mace Windu during the beginning (shortly after the first boss) and he led me through the entire section all the way up to the first boss. He was dressed in all white and had a purple sword. Was amazing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips on how to use/build the Dancer's swords? From what I understand low damage is it's main downside, so stuff like Flynn ring and Right eye and clutch rings?

Dabbled a bit. It's a tough one because of the scaling, split damage and stat spread. Flynn and Right Eye are good in conjunction with it. Carthus Beacon stacks with Right Eye too - additively, I believe - so that'll boost the damage. The Lloyd's Sword Ring (I think that's what it's called) could be nice too.

You basically want to catch people in the Weapon Art to get the most damage out of it. I think it's pretty difficult to escape/roll out of once you're caught in it. To that end, you want high END and ATT (for FP) to keep it going as long as possible.

Robot Pants

Dat 3 gank squad.
Dat 4 gank squad.
Dat 3 gank squad, then a blue joins, because 3 vs 1 wasn't enough.
Dat 3 gank squad and friends that uses giant seed, because 3 vs 1 wasn't enough.
Dat 3 gank squad, that is afraid of you and your little foe friend in the room.
Dat host that keeps summoning phantoms, after they keep dying.
Dat host and friends with Dark Sword + Greatshield, straight sword nerf my ass.
Dat poor loner that suffers your rage.
Dat host that won't move from bonfire no matter what, so you can't do a trap or some smartass move
Dat red guy that invades you, realizes that you are alone and you can feel he's almost crying.
Dat host that disconnects after you kill his phantom.

Another great invasion night on Dark Souls 3.
Yep. I've gotten used to what happens during invasions and now I can deal with 3v1 pretty soundly. Especially the idiots that run at me with their shield up. People still aren't really latching onto the sword arts, and the straight sword shield splitter makes them such easy targets.

Alo0oy

Banned

The damage is great actually, the best build for it is 40/40 DEX/STR. They just have a very slow wind-up and you need to get used to it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get Yuria's armor if she never showed up in my game?

I wonder if there's a way to enter NG+ (with a "cheat") without raising the difficulty (since I intend to play the DLC).

EDIT: Oh god, I can use something called "Cheat Engine" to spawn items... *gulp*

MilkBeard

How is the patch? Is it noticeable?

I remember one glitch in the game was the FP usage. When using my Katana's weapon skill, even when the FP went to nothing you could still use the weapon skill as if you had enough FP. Wasn't sure why. Now I know it was just a glitch.

Dabbled a bit. It's a tough one because of the scaling, split damage and stat spread. Flynn and Right Eye are good in conjunction with it. Carthus Beacon stacks with Right Eye too - additively, I believe - so that'll boost the damage. The Lloyd's Sword Ring (I think that's what it's called) could be nice too.

You basically want to catch people in the Weapon Art to get the most damage out of it. I think it's pretty difficult to escape/roll out of once you're caught in it. To that end, you want high END and ATT (for FP) to keep it going as long as possible.

Didnt they nerf the weapon art so that it doesn't stunlock after the first two spins or something?

The damage is great actually, the best build for it is 40/40 DEX/STR. They just have a very slow wind-up and you need to get used to it.

how much does the STR affect the dmg? I figure since it's all D scaling it doesn't matter alot...?

Top Bottom