• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Shout out to iRAWRasaurus, you da best. Thanks amigo.
If so, I'm glad I just finished the game. PVP alterations should never affect PVE in any way.
They almost never do. If anything is affected, it's often the other way around. Certain spells, buffs, attacks, and items have differing effectiveness in PVP. PVP balance changes rarely affect PVE.

HeeHo

I use a washing pole mainly, anybody noticing the difference? I know most people despise the weapon but I honestly played the entire game using it and whenever I try to main something new, my pvp suffers horribly. I try not to rely on the running stab but you can get pretty skilled at timing it without overusing it.

Anyway, anybody noticing the nerf it received? Sorry if we've already discussed it thoroughly. I tried to play last night but the server was freaking out.

Mechazawa

Did they buff the Caestus at some point?

I popped back in here back I saw a patch in Steam and people were saying it was terrible at launch, but now it's nerfed?

Can I run around punching enemies in PVE with it now?

Soulhouf

Watchdogs of Farron covenant seem to work a lot better now. I'm getting summoned constantly.
I need to try the Blue Sentinels to see if there is any difference.

Did they buff the Caestus at some point?

I popped back in here back I saw a patch in Steam and people were saying it was terrible at launch, but now it's nerfed?

Can I run around punching enemies in PVE with it now?

Damage is buffed, it's parry capabilities as an offhand tool are disminished.

HeeHo

Watchdogs of Farron covenant seem to work a lot better now. I'm getting summoned constantly.

haha, greeeat. I mean the patch before made it a little more frequent but before this latest patch I did it the painful way. Symbol of Avarice(thanks iRAWsaurus), Crystal Sage Rapier+4, Gold Serpent Ring and lots of running back and forth to the bonfire. I didn't even use rusted coins!

It was honestly not that bad and probably took me 6 hours to do them all. Watchdogs ( i earned 2 through multiplayer summons), Darkmoon (probably 6-7 legit earns through summons) and Aldrich (earned about half through auto summoning). If you are legit stressed about earning these items, I would just bite the bullet and do it this way. I spent more time waiting and stressing and googling than it took to do it the more tedious way.

I really liked earning vertebrae shackles and pale tongues through PVP, but man was it a buzzkill to have to wait so long (which may never happen!) to be summoned for the other covenants.

Arjen

Same here, I had it equipped on my new character and got summoned today after being online for about 10 minutes.

Dat 3 gank squad.
Dat 4 gank squad.
Dat 3 gank squad, then a blue joins, because 3 vs 1 wasn't enough.
Dat 3 gank squad and friends that uses giant seed, because 3 vs 1 wasn't enough.
Dat 3 gank squad, that is afraid of you and your little foe friend in the room.
Dat host that keeps summoning phantoms, after they keep dying.
Dat host and friends with Dark Sword + Greatshield, straight sword nerf my ass.
Dat poor loner that suffers your rage.
Dat host that won't move from bonfire no matter what, so you can't do a trap or some smartass move
Dat red guy that invades you, realizes that you are alone and you can feel he's almost crying.
Dat host that disconnects after you kill his phantom.

SERZBER.jpg

Another great invasion night on Dark Souls 3.

I finally got back to continuing my 2nd attempt at a randomized character. Undead Settlement went pretty well, I kept expecting to get invaders during it, but only very late did I realize that I wasn't embered and that actually getting vigor this time gave me about as much health as my embered Sorcerer attempt.

There isn't really much to talk about in Undead Settlement other than I didn't get wrecked by the dart shooters going to the covenant, and starting to take the Road of Sacrifices bonfire early to make exploration safer.

I beat Curse Rotten Treewood. Much easier than the previous character, but I still did get unlucky and managed to be comboed to death and the 2nd attempt I nearly lost roughly 16k souls due to more poor gameplay on my part causing me to remember that it has special attacks in its first phase that don't show up in the 2nd phase. The level ups I got from this boss was Attunement and Intelligence, which just evened up my Faith and Intelligence stats. Just like the dice roller was telling me "psst, I gave you Sorcerer, you're getting Intelligence levels", it's telling me "psst, you're using Pyromancy." Maybe this is the character I'll end up trying out Chaos infusion for, since I have a decent selection of weapons I won't end up locking myself into that infusion path.

My plan now is to do Farron Keep to get the Dreamcatcher's Ashes, take the Deep Battle Axe and use a Shriving Stone to make it a regular Battle Axe, then begin using it as my new main weapon. I'll try to kill
Stray Demon
as well.

Tarkus

Is the DS3 Fight Club going to mix up areas tomorrow? Pontiff gets old sometimes. High Wall is good. The little area up the lift at the Old Wolf Bonfire is great too. It has a ledge for people in line. It's beautiful as well.

I need Miyazaki-sama to come to my house and explain to my face, why hosts can't be punished when they enter boss fog rooms.

Because is bullshit, is not like they don't have advantages enough, that now they can just rush to boss without any problem.

Is the DS3 Fight Club going to mix up areas tomorrow? Pontiff gets old sometimes. High Wall is good. The little area up the lift at the Old Wolf Bonfire is great too. It has a ledge for people in line. It's beautiful as well.

Yes, I won't have time to reach pointiff with this new character on NG+.

Tarkus

Yeah, they need to get rid of the fog gate bullshit.

Fuck, I'm like 1-6. You guys are going to have me for lunch.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dat 3 gank squad.
Dat 4 gank squad.
Dat 3 gank squad and friends that uses giant seed, because 3 vs 1 wasn't enough.
Dat host that won't move from bonfire no matter what, so you can't do a trap or some smartass move
Dat red guy that invades you, realizes that you are alone and you can feel he's almost crying.

Hahaha

I started to keep track, just for the fun of stats (yes I'm a nerd, how did you know?), of how many invasions I win/lose (and note if it's 2v1, 3v1, 1v1 etc.), and while the sample is small still, it's surprising how many 3v1 invasions I still win.

Soulhouf

LMAO.

I invaded this Japanese guy called Battle Royale in the Crucifixion Woods who was using dried fingers and giant seed but didn't summon any phantom. This guy's gimmick was to hide and we -the invaders- search and murder him. The problem is that this area is huge (he unlocked the shortcut to the Abyss Watchers boss) and he was using all sort of tricks to blend into the environment (chamelion, thief ring, slumbering dragon crest ring, clothes that have the same color as the environment...).
It was a pain in the ass to find him and even if someone locates him, he quickly manages to disappear again. Sometimes we hear a "Hey" coming from nowhere while he watches us and we can't find him. He was even placing some prism stones on the floor to give us some hints.
Some invaders sometimes loose patience and start attacking the closest to them but after more than 30 minutes we managed to kill him. It was surreal.

Edit:
CkoPfomWgAAPg0B.jpg:orig

The other poor 2 invaders were so desperate and ended up murdering each other.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Heh I relate to that haha. When I murder some poor fatrolling schmuck after losing to 3 ganksquads in a row... "you'll pay for all the others!"

Of course I might be turning this poor schmuck into a future ganker, who knows. I swear I've created gankers a few times. Like this guy from one of my older vids, who just stood around the bonfire with his phantoms; I remember it was like my third time killing him that night. xD

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Either the guy I just invaded was laggy as fuck (which he may have been since he was skating a lot) or washing pole range wasn't nerfed at all LOL

Alo0oy

Banned
Da fuck, they nerfed the Greatlance! That thing was practically useless, now it's even more useless.

I sometimes wonder where from get their information from, nobody used that thing.

Tarkus

Da fuck, they nerfed the Greatlance! That thing was practically useless, now it's even more useless.

I sometimes wonder where from get their information from, nobody used that thing.
It's a shame what they've done to the lance class. Used to be the UGS of spears.

Sande

Have they made Dancer more aggressive or something?

Usually she just walks around for half of the fight which makes it pretty trivial. Now I actually died a couple of times when she just kept starting new combos immediately and dashing at me from across the room when I tried to heal. Maybe I just got unlucky with the RNG.

I need Miyazaki-sama to come to my house and explain to my face, why hosts can't be punished when they enter boss fog rooms.

Because is bullshit, is not like they don't have advantages enough, that now they can just rush to boss without any problem.

That's just the risk you run invading. Remember - you're invading their world to murder them. 90% of the time its just some poor guy trying to progress in the game. You're the bad guy in the situation (I don't mean literally just you, I invade all the time). If hosts couldn't get out of invasions some way, could you imagine all the griefing invaders would do to people who have no interest in PvP? Invasions aren't meant to be fair and "honorable".

Side not: my caestus parry now feels borderline useless. Invaded for like 2 hours today and only ever got one parry. Seems like I can't do the 1-2-parry strategy against straight swords anymore. :(

I would love for someone to prove me wrong though!

Tarkus

That's just the risk you run invading. Remember - you're invading their world to murder them. 90% of the time its just some poor guy trying to progress in the game. You're the bad guy in the situation (I don't mean literally just you, I invade all the time). If hosts couldn't get out of invasions some way, could you imagine all the griefing invaders would do to people who have no interest in PvP? Invasions aren't meant to be fair and "honorable".

Side not: my caestus parry now feels borderline useless. Invaded for like 2 hours today and only ever got one parry. Seems like I can't do the 1-2-parry strategy against straight swords anymore. :(

I would love for someone to prove me wrong though!
Good. Think about how illogical it is for a glove to parry a large weapon. Definitely one of the better decisions by From. It's pretty stupid when 3/5 PvP people spam R2 constantly.

Good. Think about how illogical it is for a glove to parry a large weapon. Definitely one of the better decisions by From. It's pretty stupid when 3/5 PvP people spam R2 constantly.
Yup. Super stupid that you can bring a guy down to 10% health and they finally get a cactus parry off and obliterate you. Partying is hard, but it's supposed to be since it's extremely rewarding

Yup. Super stupid that you can bring a guy down to 10% health and they finally get a cactus parry off and obliterate you. Partying is hard, but it's supposed to be since it's extremely rewarding

Lol the autocorrect in this post is great.

To be fair, it's pretty obvious when someone has a caestus or parrying shield in their off hand that they are gonna be trying to parry. So you can counter by using attacks that aren't parryable or only attacking in the right opening.

I still land plenty of parries with the small shields. It's more of a predictive game though. Caestus was just nice to have a way to counter those who simply smash R1 with the Dark Sword.

I don't think its any worse of a logic offense than characters being able to lift, much less swing, those huge weapons. :)

Lol the autocorrect in this post is great.

To be fair, it's pretty obvious when someone has a caestus or parrying shield in their off hand that they are gonna be trying to parry. So you can counter by using attacks that aren't parryable or only attacking in the right opening.

I still land plenty of parries with the small shields. It's more of a predictive game though. Caestus was just nice to have a way to counter those who simply smash R1 with the Dark Sword.
Loooool. Yeah that's what happens when you're typing on your phone since it's taking awhile to get summoned. Then you finally get summoned so you have no time to proof-read :p.

I think all my swords moves are parryable but I haven't pvped in some time so I could be wrong. Yeh I can attest to the Dank Sword being op as hell, only time I don't mind parry spam is against that sword because of how cheap it is. My friend began using the Lucerne and said it counters the Dank Sword pretty well. Did they nerf that sword in the recent patch? Idr if they did or not.

Loooool. Yeah that's what happens when you're typing on your phone since it's taking awhile to get summoned. Then you finally get summoned so you have no time to proof-read :p.

I think all my swords moves are parryable but I haven't pvped in some time so I could be wrong. Yeh I can attest to the Dank Sword being op as hell, only time I don't mind parry spam is against that sword because of how cheap it is. My friend began using the Lucerne and said it counters the Dank Sword pretty well. Did they nerf that sword in the recent patch? Idr if they did or not.

I believe all sprinting R2s are unparryable. Also, I like using R2s of various charge/delay level to throw off peoples' parry games.

I think all straight swords got recovery time nerfs in this patch? I played with a claymore today so I didn't get to test anything.

I'm trying to co-op with two friends and we're using passwords, but as soon as one of us is summoned, the other's sign disappears. Friend #1 is the host and has a Dark Sigil, Friend #2 is being summoned and has a Dark Sigil as well. I'm being summoned and do not have a Dark Sigil (never accepted any free levels).

If dried fingers are used, then both of us can be summoned, but it was a constant onslaught of phantoms and we're looking to just campaign and not PvP.

Any ideas on what's preventing our two phantom co-op?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm trying to co-op with two friends and we're using passwords, but as soon as one of us is summoned, the other's sign disappears. Friend #1 is the host and has a Dark Sigil, Friend #2 is being summoned and has a Dark Sigil as well. I'm being summoned and do not have a Dark Sigil (never accepted any free levels).

If dried fingers are used, then both of us can be summoned, but it was a constant onslaught of phantoms and we're looking to just campaign and not PvP.

Are you trying to summon in covenant areas like Crucifixion Woods, Farron Keep, or the post-Pontiff area? You can only get one phantom at the time in these places, unless you use the dried finger.

The dark sigil has no effect on coop. Certain areas will prevent 2 phantom coop such as Farron Keep. Personally I believe its the covenant pvp areas that will prevent 2 phantom coop. Why? I played the entire game coop with 2-3 friends and what I mention is my experiences with the summoning system.

The dark sigil has no effect on coop. Certain areas will prevent 2 phantom coop such as Farron Keep. Personally I believe its the covenant pvp areas that will prevent 2 phantom coop. Why? I played the entire game coop with 2-3 friends and what I mention is my experiences with the summoning system.

Yeah, I completely forgot about the PvP zones. We had limited time tonight to play and wasted so much of it trying to get it to work. And when we decided to try the dried fingers it became absolute chaos.

Good to know that the Dark Sigil isn't an issue -- my friends weren't to hyped on farming 80K worth of souls to get rid of it. And I'm pretty sure I've dropped all my souls for them anyways.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

neoism

Dat 3 gank squad.
Dat 4 gank squad.

lolol

watdaeff4

I'm debating on starting this now or just waiting until the DLC comes out at this point. Once you beat the game, does it automatically kick you into NG+ like DS1 and Bloodborne or is it like DS2 (at least the Scholar of First Sin) where you can choose when you are ready to go to NG+?

Thanks for responses in advance.

I'm debating on starting this now or just waiting until the DLC comes out at this point. Once you beat the game, does it automatically kick you into NG+ like DS1 and Bloodborne or is it like DS2 (at least the Scholar of First Sin) where you can choose when you are ready to go to NG+?

Thanks for responses in advance.

No. After the credits, you will be given an option if you want to start NG+ or remain in NG.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's the point in calling your character Iron Tarkus if you're gonna be a half-naked green dude with puffy hair (Nameless King helm) and a katana?

Edit: kudos to the dude called "Ghost" that I invaded that looked just like Papa Emeritus though, now that's a nice cosplay :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
For a pyro build what are good light weapons to chaos infuse, what are good weapons to use before you can get chaos and what are the suggested ring setups other than Witch's Ring and Sage's Ring?

Ferr986

For a pyro build what are good light weapons to chaos infuse, what are good weapons to use before you can get chaos and what are the suggested ring setups other than Witch's Ring and Sage's Ring?

I use Carthus Curved Sword. It requires 18 DEX though. At early levels Raw Astora straight sword is the best for fast damaging weapons.

Rings Sage, Witch and Swamp ring. 4 whatever you want (fire clutch for example, but take it out in pvp cause it sucks there).

Holy ass! I'm having difficulty with Tw
in princes
in NG++. It might have to do with the fact that since my better GPU died, I have to use this crappier one which is an entire series less than what they have listed for their minimum specs requirements. Fighting at 30 fps blows

Mistel

Banned
Success! You can also add prisoners chain or whatever, but you'd take more damage.
I wish I had Dark Souls 1 during the ninja flippin Havel days :[
You could just play an unpatched copy but technically you can still cartwheel as havel post DWGR nerf just it is not worth the investment to do so. There's still Havel Mom / Dad build as well for ninja rolling heavy armor.
It's a shame what they've done to the lance class. Used to be the UGS of spears.
They're essentially useless now which is a real shame no more pain train pvp builds they've gone from being a dominant pvp weapon to piss in the wind.
I'd suggest supplementary to Ferr is using either a Carthus Shotel, Shotel, Sellsword Twinsword or ideally a Lothric Knight Sword or Claymore. Some of the lighter ultra and great weapons also work well but they're further in plus most of the innate fire weapons don't scale well with INT/FTH other than a couple exceptions.

Top Bottom