• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

laxu

Yeah I really hope for DLC dealing with Londor.

That's why I haven't cured my hollowing or defeated the last boss on my second character. Hoping that there is something Londor related and Yuria gives you new items or something.

Ferr986

There were some very good DLC ideas on reddit:

DLC #1

- Kingdom of Carthus
- Londor
- The Deep

DLC #2

- Something ???
- Bridge to Heaven/ Angels
- Heaven/ Angels and final God boss

That sounds horrible, if you ask me. More like your standard JRPG stuff.

Angelic themes are "idealized" in DS3 IMO, considering we see a Primordial Serpent all "angelized" when we truly know they weren't. Only the feathers everywhere on Lothric are truly angelic.

About 1, the Deep is not an area per se,so I don't know how they would do it. I'ts like the Abyss, in that sense.

Londor seems a safe bet though.

Btw, I don't expect anything to be shown at E3. Considering Fall release (maybe close to when BB DLC released) it makes more sense to announce it at TGS.

T Ghost

Try to get under the neck thats about all I can tell you. You just need to learn the timings. Oh and if you're having trouble with the camera don't lock on

God damn it feels good to land a chaos blade parry

Yeah there are only a couple times in a sequence when you can actually hit his neck...the rest of the time is just repositioning and dodging his attacks. Learn when you can attack and take a good series of blows...if you are using a weapon that two hands up and down, this is waaay better for hitting the neck which is above you ...dont swing side to side your weapon will rarely hit the neck part.

The camera does suck at times during that fight, it's a field of depth thing for me, I swing sometimes and realise I'm not close enough, so I usually go to the side of its face rather than head on.

The flame breath is perfect time for getting damage in, and you really want to be rolling through NK's attacks and attacking the head out of the roll. When it flies up you should be on the move to follow where it will land, and never get under it's feel. If you see the fly up/flame breath attack, you're doing the fight wrong, you should never see that attack ever if you are positioned right, never get further under it than it's neck.

I agree about not locking on too - can be useful for positioning maybe, but really there's no need to use lock on during this stage of the fight.

I now exclusively use Black Knight Glaive for the Drake. The r1 is an overhead chop that's great at catching him. Also, dragonslayer shield and chaos fire orb for the 2nd phase. The shield has 95% lightning block, and the orb drains stamina really well. Most bosses are ready for a critical attack after two plus a few sword swings. If you don't have the stats for the shield, use the Lothric knight shield.

Edit: oh, and the best time to go for the head is when he breathes fire. It's really well telegraphed, and you can usually get 2-3 shoots in.

Thanks folks! Your tips helped me a lot, I managed to beat the drake a multiple times after a lot of tries.

At one point, probably around hour 10 or 12 of fighting JUST NK, I got to my limit and summoned a couple of players. One of us died right at the end and I ALMOST died (close!) We managed beat him. What a relief!!!

I did NOT enjoy NK at all. Too much above my limits as a gamer. I'm not a great DS player but not a newbie, played all games but Demon Souls, and most of the time have no troubles at all with PVE. If it wasn't for the community and co-op, would never, ever got even close to beat the NK, ever. Not sure if this is great, inclusive design for ALL fans, but get it they did it as a treat for the most skilled players. The fact it was optional says a lot. Besides NK, loved every second of the game, for me best in the series, hands down.

You know about the Dancer's swords... more than the nerf to the L2 or the low dmg output, the main thing that eventually turns me off about the weapon is start up swing speed of the L1. Compared to the sellsword/warden Twinblades I've been using before there's like a half second longer on the start up time and that really makes all the difference.

I ended up switching back to my Wardens and I made quick work of the consumed king.

I guess I should switch my plans and get Gotthard first as my endgame weapon.

Thanks folks! Your tips helped me a lot, I managed to beat the drake a multiple times after a lot of tries.

At one point, probably around hour 10 or 12 of fighting JUST NK, I got to my limit and summoned a couple of players. One of us died right at the end and I ALMOST died (close!) We managed beat him. What a relief!!!

I did NOT enjoy NK at all. Too much above my limits as a gamer. I'm not a great DS player but not a newbie, played all games but Demon Souls, and most of the time have no troubles at all with PVE. If it wasn't for the community and co-op, would never, ever got even close to beat the NK, ever. Not sure if this is great, inclusive design for ALL fans, but get it they did it as a treat for the most skilled players. The fact it was optional says a lot. Besides NK, loved every second of the game, for me best in the series, hands down.
Glad you got through it, it was tough for most of us I think. I bet you wouldn't have nearly as much trouble on another playthrough, I've found NK to be far less of a headache on repeated playthroughs.

Grats man!

Nameless Bastard was the only boss that killed me 10 times in NG+ and 6 times in NG++.

Hardest boss in the game for sure.

Someone is threatening to "report" me because I parried him/her twice!

People get real salty when they lose lol.

He's probably the type of scrub that would hit someone while they're in hyperarmour, get his faced melted, and say he's reporting them for hacking poise in or something.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I want what the enemies have. Specifically, what the knights have.
Weird thing is that certain attacks break their pose and others don't for no apparent reason. For example, when I combo a knight with a non-heavy weapon, usually the third strike and onwards no longer breaks poise and they can attack through it. But if I restart my attacks, or add a pause so it goes back to my first animation, those attacks will break poise again. Shit makes no sense.

Tarkus

DS2 had both poise and hyperarmor, but hyperarmor there just reduced poise damage taken while swinging a heavy weapon. It's was the best solution.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demon's Souls used hyper armor on attacks, from what I heard.
Correct. Very few attacks though. Only certain specific attacks from the greataxe/Meat Cleaver moveset (two-handed r1 and r2), and maybe certain specific attacks from the greatsword/DBS moveset but I forgot which (1h rolling r1 maybe).

The more I fight UGS users the more I think it's a good thing poise is off. It'd be completely broken otherwise. UGS hit crazy hard, have stunlock, and hyper armour to not just specific attacks but pretty much all of them. Adding poise would be complete overkill.

Arjen

I'm happy the way things are with hyperarmor and lack of poise. Only thing that bugs me is getting stunned by a rat or a dog. But for pvp it is definitely the best decision.

Alo0oy

Banned
Correct. Very few attacks though. Only certain specific attacks from the greataxe/Meat Cleaver moveset (two-handed r1 and r2), and maybe certain specific attacks from the greatsword/DBS moveset but I forgot which (1h rolling r1 maybe).

The more I fight UGS users the more I think it's a good thing poise is off. It'd be completely broken otherwise. UGS hit crazy hard, have stunlock, and hyper armour to not just specific attacks but pretty much all of them. Adding poise would be complete overkill.

The issue is that it's completely pointless to wear heavy armor, the difference in damage absorption is minimal between heavy and light armor, from decided to make it so that wearing anything provides flat defense, wearing master's attire provides the exact same defense as Havel's Set.

There is a difference in absorption though, but the soft cap is so low that light armor gets very close to it.

Tarkus

I think the best solution would be poise based on armor instead of weapons. The way it is now makes an entire class of armor useless with wasted points pumped into VIT to wear them, as well as most small weapons. Leave hyper armor but dial it back.

Soulhouf

I think the best solution would be poise based on armor instead of weapons. The way it is now makes an entire class of armor useless with wasted points pumped into VIT to wear them, as well as most small weapons. Leave hyper armor but dial it back.

If you tie poise to armor it means that fast weapons can benefit from it which isn't a good idea TBH.
If they put poise into armors, they need to do something to counter balance it like give fast weapons negative poise or/and make it impossible to roll while having a certain amount of poise.

rbFrosty did an excellent video where he explains why the current situation isn't bad balance-wise.

The thing that bothers me the most in DS3 is Yaol's quest. Why the hell force players to gains 5 levels to do it? This is the dumbest decision From did since soul memory.
If it was me, I would do the exact opposite, make Yaol level you down instead of up. Leveling down is reversible whereas leveling up isn't. That way not only it keeps the same flavor but also gives you a way to decrease your level if you want.

Alo0oy

Banned
If you tie poise to armor it means that fast weapons can benefit from it which isn't a good idea TBH.
If they put poise into armors, they need to do something to counter balance it like give fast weapons negative poise or/and make it impossible to roll while having a certain amount of poise.

rbFrosty did and excellent video where he explains why the current situation isn't bad balance-wise.

The thing that bothers me the most in DS3 is Yaol's quest. Why the hell force players to gains 5 levels to do it? This is the dumbest decision From did since the souls memory.
If it was me, I would do the exact opposite, make Yaol level you down instead of up. Leveling down is reversible whereas leveling up isn't. That way not only it keeps the same flavor but also gives you a way to decrease your level if you want.

Leveling down can be abused though (like it was in Demon's Souls with King Allant).

They should just remove the five levels from you if you heal the dark sign. Simple solution. If you want to be beef jerky you keep the five levels. If you want your waifu back, you lose those five levels. Helps if you screw up the quest line like I did, I wanted to stay at 125 but now I'm 135.

Anyways I got bored and decided to do "reverse hacking" basically you wear rings that decrease your damage absorption and you go naked(I use loin cloth because it looks better than those white underwear thing they give you). I have -173 absorption and pretty much instadie from any hit. Some people's reactions are hilarious they just stand there like...da fuq? Or they add me and say what just happened?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The thing that bothers me the most in DS3 is Yaol's quest. Why the hell force players to gains 5 levels to do it? This is the dumbest decision From did since soul memory.
*Yoel ;)

I'm not sure I see the issue though, just... don't do the side-quest?

poodpick

Gankers that black crystal their friends then resummon them are so fucking annoying. I'm crystaling out as soon as I see that their friends are scaled down.

At SL35 no less holy shit how desperate do you have to be to win.

Edit: WOW I managed to beat them with the help of 2 others after invading again.

poodpick

Why do they do that? To refill Estus or something?

Exactly that. Imagine fighting a host with 2 summons, 1 with full Gundyrs at probably SL120 so I do like 80 damage to him, and they have infinite estus. Also every time I whittled one down enough to kill them another invader would die giving them 1 more flask.

From really needs to fix this bullshit.

So 10-15 estus on the host, 7+7 on the summons that keep being resummoned. Oh and the world was seeded. How on earth are you supposed to win if you don't parry with the hornet ring or do a 1000 damage combo?

Randomized stat playthrough small update... I'm exhausted of dying to Dancer and getting worse at fighting her as I continue. I'm gonna make progress elsewhere and come back later.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Exactly that. Imagine fighting a host with 2 summons, 1 with full Gundyrs at probably SL120 so I do like 80 damage to him, and they have infinite estus. Also every time I whittled one down enough to kill them another invader would die giving them 1 more flask.

From really needs to fix this bullshit.

So 10-15 estus on the host, 7+7 on the summons that keep being resummoned. Oh and the world was seeded. How on earth are you supposed to win if you don't parry with the hornet ring or do a 1000 damage combo?
Meh. If I keep running into that kind of group repeatedly, I just invade somewhere else.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I feel like this video sums up the problems with invasions right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDUnwfx0LNA
Oh I've seen that. Everything he says is correct, but as I said in the other thread, I still find it far more fun than in the other games. For one thing, invaders had 0 estus in DS1 and DS2 so at least now we can heal. For another thing, it's just really satisfying to take out squads, whether it's by using terrain, enemies, or just exploiting the fact that most players are terrible at PvP. :) And then the fact that you can have 2v2 or more in areas other than specific covenants is really cool.

I mean hell, I'm gonna link to my video again, just because it highlights why I fell in love with invading. Moments like that are just so. much. fun. xD

Top Bottom