• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I think you have to avoid
even going to the ledge that's before Rosaria entirely, since that circumvents Patches' trap entirely.

So to do the NPC interactions you need to
progress the level normally, but ignore the elevator that leads up to the higher rafters that lead to Rosaria, and then once you get to the boss room go to the elevator near it to open the door shortcut, and then there is a set of stairs that will lead you to Patches.

With the amount of stamina miracles use you should probably take 5 out of attunement and put it in endurance or add prisoners chain.

They do use quite a lot of stamina but so far I haven't found stamina to be an issue even during hectic invasions. I used to have the Prisoner's Chain on nearly all my builds until I found that you take ~15% more damage in PvP when you wear it.

No Sage Ring?

I tested it a few times and while casts are faster with the ring they're only a hair faster than without. I made this gif to compare it but this was before the most recent patch which shortened the cast times on offensive miracles, so it probably no longer applies.

https://fat.gfycat.com/GiftedSnoopyGazelle.webm

Edit: I should mention in case it wasn't obvious, that gif is at 50% speed.

neoism

SL 120 Cleric
Vig: 40
Attn: 40
End: 20
Vit: 7
Str: 12
Dex: 10
Int: 7
Fth: 60
Luck: 13

Raw Astora Straight Sword
Sunlight Talisman
Iron Round Shield

Ring of Favour
Chloranthy Ring / Hornet Ring
Morne's Ring
Ring of the Sun's Firstborn

The miracles I'm using are Tears of Denial, Lightning Blade, Sunlight Spear, and Wrath of the Gods. The Sunlight talisman is not the most powerful one at 60 Faith but it's weapon art (Unfaltering Prayer) seems to be the most effective out of all the talismans I tested. Since you need to be up close for offensive miracles to do the most damage I figured that would be best.

The fashion is the Undead Legion Helm, Leonhard's Garb, and the Assassin Gloves and Trousers.
isnt yorshka chime better to use with 60 faith?

there is too many damn staffs talisman and chimes in ds3

nevermind didnt finish your post... still seems like lighting spells are weak as shit..
i miss my captain hook chime from ds2 lol

neoism

Just got this yesterday and beat the first boss on my second try. I started as a knight class. How viable is a dex build in this game?

its good you should go str too its a litlle easier..

i went knight as well i swear the most annoying thing about it is you always have to have a werid ass level number ...
i like to have my stats by 0 or 5 and you cant with the knight class because of the starting stats.. im lvl 161 right now...:/
im werid i know but ive always done it like that.

isnt yorshka chime better to use with 60 faith?

there is too many damn staffs talisman and chimes in ds3

nevermind didnt finish your post... still seems like lighting spells are weak as shit..
i miss my captain hook chime from ds2 lol

Lightning spells hit hard with the right setup but you have to be up close to get the full damage. Kind of a weird change but when they work they definitely work.

2AdEPT

I think you have to avoid
even going to the ledge that's before Rosaria entirely, since that circumvents Patches' trap entirely.

So to do the NPC interactions you need to
progress the level normally, but ignore the elevator that leads up to the higher rafters that lead to Rosaria, and then once you get to the boss room go to the elevator near it to open the door shortcut, and then there is a set of stairs that will lead you to Patches.
This is correct but the critical piece missing is you must
open the giant big door on top after ascending the lift that leads back to the bonfire, leave, go to bonfire (I think at least quiting and resetting if not traveling to separate bonfire) then come back through that door
. There sure must be several ways to kill it...never seen him there except in others world during coop. The prima guide says the above though....so decent, if not perfect reference.

Soulhouf

Nice! And yep that's exactly why I love invading too.

How come that exiled warrior NPC wasn't moving? o_O

Thanks!
Perhaps lag or incorrect sync with what happened in the host's world. There are a lot of weird shit going on in DS3 when you do co-op/invasions.

I like it, not terribly impressed with the PvE or bosses, but I do like the variety and level design for the most part, even if it is because so much of it is fan service and callbacks.

Put a couple hundred hours into it already, but kinda winding down on playing it. What is a good level for low-mid level invasions? I was thinking SL 40-50 at +6 weapons, was wondering if you had any insight. I want some classic random invasions of people actually going through the game. I have a SL 100 that I play regularly, and a 120 that I play here and there. But was thinking about making a mid level invader too.

Mostly leaning toward STR on all my characters, Refined for the 120. Enjoying the Heavy upgrade path, glad they brought back STR/DEX dedicated scaling paths. Great Club, Zwei, Yhorm's Great Machete, Greataxe, Lucerne, and a few others are my main weapons. Heavy Broadsword for when I just want to R1 against the World.

What's your main concern with the bosses? Is it the tracking, the roll punishing BS and other annoying reactions when you try to get behind them?
I personally find them at the same level as Dark Souls 1 or even better because of the variety and how they are well designed for the most part.

For invasions, I'm currently lv21 with a +4 weapon and I have one other character lv60/+6 weapons. I think the best invasions action is in that range. Cathedral of The Deep/Crucifiction Wood/Farron's Keep/The Catacombs/Irithyl Dungeon are good places to invade in that range. I used to like Irithyl but it got old pretty quickly and it's my least favorite area.

As for weapons infusion, I agree, that's my favorite touch about the gameplay in this game. They need to improve some infusions to make them more viable and more unique (blessed say hi). Perhaps improve the scaling too but other than that it's better than DS1 and so much better than Dark Souls 2 IMO in that regard.

It's kind of ridiculous that From hasn't fixed the floaty lag when another phantom joins. It almost feels like they're cheating when you're beating up a host and then all of a sudden they just start skating away.

neoism

SL 120 Cleric
Vig: 40
Attn: 40
End: 20
Vit: 7
Str: 12
Dex: 10
Int: 7
Fth: 60
Luck: 13

Raw Astora Straight Sword
Sunlight Talisman
Iron Round Shield

Ring of Favour
Chloranthy Ring / Hornet Ring
Morne's Ring
Ring of the Sun's Firstborn

The miracles I'm using are Tears of Denial, Lightning Blade, Sunlight Spear, and Wrath of the Gods. The Sunlight talisman is not the most powerful one at 60 Faith but it's weapon art (Unfaltering Prayer) seems to be the most effective out of all the talismans I tested. Since you need to be up close for offensive miracles to do the most damage I figured that would be best.

The fashion is the Undead Legion Helm, Leonhard's Garb, and nthe Assassin Gloves and Trousers.
wow not sure how i did but with nearly two play throughs i was gonna see if i could do you build with 50/50 int fai but i somehow missed the astora straight sword smh

damn my ocd its gonna take awhile for me to 100% every item

sighhhhhh got summoned for watchdoge and died again... ��

fuck yeahhh Kreygasm it looks like they upped the level range for WD cov thats four in like 20 min... at level 161 its surprising...
��

Tarkus

My battlemage build looks like it's not going to be ready if we have another fight club this weekend :( Not enough time in the day.

Sarcasm

Just checking in, waiting for the DLC.

I am thinking about using my pre-NG+ save when the DLC does hit. Yay or nay?

Reason being I just bum rushed certain areas to just get to 100%.

Just checking in, waiting for the DLC.

I am thinking about using my pre-NG+ save when the DLC does hit. Yay or nay?

Reason being I just bum rushed certain areas to just get to 100%.

If you're in NG++ and you don't mind doing NG+ over to go through it at a normal pace, go for it. Would be better than starting a new character to do the DLC in NG imo.

its good you should go str too its a litlle easier..

i went knight as well i swear the most annoying thing about it is you always have to have a werid ass level number ...
i like to have my stats by 0 or 5 and you cant with the knight class because of the starting stats.. im lvl 161 right now...:/
im werid i know but ive always done it like that.
I usually like spears and katanas, but I've never really had a good build for spears outside of one of my Demons Souls characters. Granted ENB is making the Claymore look good so who knows what I'll be doing, but he's also picked up a lot of interesting Dex weapons so I want to use those.

Deku Tree

I have been having a lot of fun with a BL140 Arcane 99 Hunter Tool Spam Bloodborne Build recently.

Is there any build like that in DSIII? Would Pyromancy or Sorcery or Miracles be better to use offensively? Are there any detailed build guides yet?

So Blue Sentiels just worked for the first and possibly only time for me today.

Got summoned into a world with a mad invader...... that didn't level Vigor. He was using an Estoc or Rapier too but it got nerfed hard enough to be easy to roll away from.

Easiest concord ever, even though I don't intend to ever farm these things.

I want to dedicate a poem to all the blues I'm helping to get proof with fingers:

Rosaria's are Red
Darkmoons are Blue
Please stop being scrubs.

Regards, Relaxed Muscle.

So I launched the game today again after platinuming it because I kind of miss it.

I went to Rosaria and respecced to 99 VIT just for the hell of it (NG++).

I am now wearing:

- full Havel's set
- Havel's Shield +5
- FUGS +5
- a Sorcery/ Miracle Chime +5
- Gwyndolin Bow +0
- Havel's Ring +2
- FAP Ring +2
- Ring of Steel Protection +2
- Chloranty Ring +2

...and still have 69.7% equip load.

I can cast Second Chance plus Great Heavy Soul Arrow or Greater Magic Weapon on the go (18 Attunement).

I am ready for any DLC they throw at me... right here in NG++! Won't roll a new char - gonna beat the DLC blind starting from NG++!!!

---

Oh... and TIL that after Ludleth dies you cannot transpose anything if you didn't give him the Kiln before he died :( So in order to obtain the Nameless King/ Soul of Cider weapons I would have to kill the Curse Tree in NG+++.... eff this.

So I launched the game today again after platinuming it because I kind of miss it.

I went to Rosaria and respecced to 99 VIT just for the hell of it (NG++).

I am now wearing:

- full Havel's set
- Havel's Shield +5
- FUGS +5
- a Sorcery/ Miracle Chime +5
- Gwyndolin Bow +0
- Havel's Ring +2
- FAP Ring +2
- Ring of Steel Protection +2
- Chloranty Ring +2

...and still have 69.7% equip load.

I can cast Second Chance plus Great Heavy Soul Arrow or Greater Magic Weapon on the go (18 Attunement).

I am ready for any DLC they throw at me... right here in NG++! Won't roll a new char - gonna beat the DLC blind starting from NG++!!!

---

Oh... and TIL that after Ludleth dies you cannot transpose anything if you didn't give him the Kiln before he died :( So in order to obtain the Nameless King/ Soul of Cider weapons I would have to kill the Curse Tree in NG+++.... eff this.

Testicle Tree is pretty easy, so it's not a big deal. but yeah having to go into another NG cycle just to transpose is such bullshit. Why not just keep it how they had it in DaS 2?

Mistel

Banned
I want to dedicate a poem to all the blues I'm helping to get proof with fingers:

Rosaria's are Red
Darkmoons are Blue
Please stop being scrubs.

Regards, Relaxed Muscle.
Shouldn't there be an extra verse plus a rhyming couplet for the last verse?
I usually like spears and katanas, but I've never really had a good build for spears outside of one of my Demons Souls characters. Granted ENB is making the Claymore look good so who knows what I'll be doing, but he's also picked up a lot of interesting Dex weapons so I want to use those.
Spears were ridiculously viable in 2 especially in pvp. In 3 I feel they're of a similar usefulness although some variety is a bit lacking.

I continued my randomized stat character today. I'm finding less to talk about as the playthrough continues since my character has been nicely solidified and I can play levels routinely. A lot of my time was also spent getting NPC interactions I missed my first playthrough (which eventually let me buy a dark Pyromancy from Karla). Knocked out two bosses today (Yhorm and Dancer) and stopped just before Ocieros.

This build did take a very interesting turn. I almost didn't get the Elenora (one handed axe), but I am so glad I did. It ended up having the same moveset (sans Weapon Art) as the Batlte Axe, but upgrades with Titanite Scale, outdamages +7 Battle Axe at +3, and it turned out I was able to two hand it even lacking the 20 Strength requirement. Having this weapon plus some extra strength from a prior level up made it much easier to finally beat Dancer.

I should be able to get the ability to buy titanite chunks before Pontiff, and I still plan on making a Chaos Infused weapon which I can +9 by then.

I have been having a lot of fun with a BL140 Arcane 99 Hunter Tool Spam Bloodborne Build recently.

Is there any build like that in DSIII? Would Pyromancy or Sorcery or Miracles be better to use offensively? Are there any detailed build guides yet?
Arcane build in Bloodborne is better than most spellcasting in Dark Souls 3, IMO, especially because of how gemming weapons works compared to infusions, and some Bloodborne spells aren't replicated in Dark Souls 3.

If I had to choose a spellcaster, I would go Pyromancy because they are better capable of wielding melee weapons and Pyromancy has better casting speeds overall. It would be the closest thing to a Bloodborne character since fireball/fire orb are kind of like Arcane scaling Motolovs and it has a spell that functions like the flamesprayer.

Follow up to my last build post:

To celebrate the miracle buff, I decided to rebirth to a lightning warrior build. My main weapon will be the Lothric Knight Greatsword (lightning infusion) because ultra greatswords are overall my favorite weapon class - dat heavy thrust attack, stomp skill, and parry immunity. I will also play around with other weapons like the Dragonslayer's Axe and Lothric Knight Sword (has S Faith scaling when lightning infused!) whoops, you need 18 DEX to use that sword, so nevermind. Here's my general build if anyone is interested:

Luap's Lightning Warrior

I ended up going with a slightly different build, only putting 16 points into STR which still lets me use the Lothric Knight UGS as long as I 2-hand it, which I always do anyway. This allowed me to level up VIG to 33 and END to 30. On top of that, I switched out the Sage Ring for a Life Ring +2 so now I have very good durability for a 60 Faith build.

After playing for a couple hours last night, I'm still undecided on this build. I'm at Archdragon Peak so the lightning infusion + miracles do tons of damage to those bastard dragon mobs, which is great (I landed a charged R2 for 1200 damage). I helped out a handful of people as a Sunbro phantom and my lightning attacks made Nameless King's 1st phase a complete joke. His 2nd phase is highly resistant to lightning damage though so I had to switch weapons and attune Darkmoon Blade to deal with it.

Overall it's definitely a strong build, but I guess I was spoiled by the 40/40 quality build because nothing seems to match the raw power and versatility of the latter.

ecosse_011172

I'm doing a Pryo Build and have just gotten Great Chaos Fire Orb
While battling through Smouldering Lake I encountered some enemies that were resistant to fire, I used Great Soul Arrow but I think I should get some variety in my melee weapons.
I'm using Fire Uchigitana +5 just now and have chaos gem and dark gem, poison gem, raw gem, crystal gem.

I am SL59 and
Vigor 20
Attunement 24
Endurance 18
Vitality 8
Strength 12
Dex 16
Intelligence 22
Faith 21

Any tips on weapons to infuse for my stats?
I have Astoria Straight Sword and Berserker Twin Blades.

I'm doing a Pryo Build and have just gotten Great Chaos Fire Orb
While battling through Smouldering Lake I encountered some enemies that were resistant to fire, I used Great Soul Arrow but I think I should get some variety in my melee weapons.
I'm using Fire Uchigitana +5 just now and have chaos gem and dark gem, poison gem, raw gem, crystal gem.

I am SL59 and
Vigor 20
Attunement 24
Endurance 18
Vitality 8
Strength 12
Dex 16
Intelligence 22
Faith 21

Any tips on weapons to infuse for my stats?
I have Astoria Straight Sword and Berserker Twin Blades.

Astora Greatsword is one of the best for a Chaos Infusion. It's also got a solid moveset and is lightweight.

Mistel

Banned
I usually don't even bother with PVP.
Outside of pvp they're just as viable in 2 more so as there's strike spears with good scaling. In three you can just as easily use spears in PVE with no hassle although I would avoid the pikes as a class as they're a bit underwhelming.
Please stop being Scrubs
Or I'm gonna scrub you

I suck at poems too
Well if you got rid of please it'd actually work well:

Rosaria's are Red
Darkmoons are Blue
Stop being Scrubs
Or I'm Gonna Scrub You

Something of that nature its not a great couplet but better than nothing.

Outside of pvp they're just as viable in 2 more so as there's strike spears with good scaling. In three you can just as easily use spears in PVE with no hassle although I would avoid the pikes as a class as they're a bit underwhelming.
I usually just go Winged Spear, but I know the Halberd from DS 1 was pretty good.

Top Bottom