• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

What that video doesn't point out is that Dried Fingers allows 2 invaders which helps even the odds and makes it more fun. Places with Blue Invaders also helps. You can also lure enemies to the host (preferably using the Skull Ring) if the world is seeded. Other than that, the odds are way too stacked in the host's favor, most definitely.

For one thing, invaders had 0 estus in DS1 and DS2 so at least now we can heal.
I thought they could heal with humanity?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I thought they could heal with humanity?
Yeah but that's kind of a pain, you gotta farm them and all, and that's only in DS1. At least in DS2 phantoms couldn't heal when an invader was present, I guess.

Edit: wait why can't I login on PS4? More maintenance? :(
Edit 2: false alarm, just needed 3 tries for some reason...

I finished my Faith build!
my_sunny_faith_boy_by_realghostvids-da6axhs.jpg

I hit a parry spammer in the face with a Sunlight Spear for 870 damage and my Astora Straight Sword gets 515 AR when buffed with Lightning Blade, so I'm having a pretty good time with it.

What stats/gear?

SL 120 Cleric
Vig: 40
Attn: 40
End: 20
Vit: 7
Str: 12
Dex: 10
Int: 7
Fth: 60
Luck: 13

Raw Astora Straight Sword
Sunlight Talisman
Iron Round Shield

Ring of Favour
Chloranthy Ring / Hornet Ring
Morne's Ring
Ring of the Sun's Firstborn

The miracles I'm using are Tears of Denial, Lightning Blade, Sunlight Spear, and Wrath of the Gods. The Sunlight talisman is not the most powerful one at 60 Faith but it's weapon art (Unfaltering Prayer) seems to be the most effective out of all the talismans I tested. Since you need to be up close for offensive miracles to do the most damage I figured that would be best.

The fashion is the Undead Legion Helm, Leonhard's Garb, and the Assassin Gloves and Trousers.

squidyj

did you know that for 18 points of strength and 14 points of dexterity a Raw Dragonslayer's Axe can achieve a metric shit-ton of AR while buffed with lightning blade?
By the time I'm done with my build I am confident that I will easily break 800 ar when using a lightning clutch ring.

Currently sitting at 644 while buffed
40 faith
+8 axe
+6 cleric's sacred chime
Lightning Clutch Ring
591 without the ring.

Soulhouf

*Yoel ;)

I'm not sure I see the issue though, just... don't do the side-quest?

Sorry I have the Japanese version so I don't know the exact English spelling and I always write it wrong. Thanks for correcting me though. Hopefully next time I will get it right.

Yeah no, don't this don't do that isn't the answer. I like when a side quest involves some sacrifice, a choice to make but not permanently screw up your build. That's a stupid design choice.

This video is so spot on, Random Invading in this game is such a bummer.

Oh hi Booshka. How are you liking the game?

Oh I've seen that. Everything he says is correct, but as I said in the other thread, I still find it far more fun than in the other games. For one thing, invaders had 0 estus in DS1 and DS2 so at least now we can heal. For another thing, it's just really satisfying to take out squads, whether it's by using terrain, enemies, or just exploiting the fact that most players are terrible at PvP. :) And then the fact that you can have 2v2 or more in areas other than specific covenants is really cool.

I mean hell, I'm gonna link to my video again, just because it highlights why I fell in love with invading. Moments like that are just so. much. fun. xD

Agreed. I'm having so much fun doing random invasions in this game and destroying hosts and their phantoms for the same reasons.
Hell I like the seed of giants quite a bit because as an invader you can use it to your advantage by luring enemies to the host and add more chaos to the mix.

poodpick

Spot on, it's the reason I stopped Invading. Kudos to people like Morrigan who like it and keep invading, would be a shame if invasions would die out.

I also like invading because so many people are bad at the game or you can bait them into mobs if they're overconfident/stupid. If any of them have half a brain though it's almost impossible to win (against ganks).

So I've been playing Bloodborne a lot recently. Being my first PS4 game I bought I was blown away and initially in love with it. But now; I'm starting to feel a bit exhausted. I love the setting; but having played the game for 20 hours or so the setting doesn't much change. Also I'm getting tired of the constant boss battles. I just want to explore and learn lore and not be interrupted by boss battles.

Is DS3 the same way?

Undead settlement invading is my addiction...

This character has 46 pale tongues, 4 forked pale tongues, 7 vertebra shackles, and 16 wolf blood sword grass.

I'm a bit twinked with carthus flame arc, knight slayer's ring, and 10 estus. But there's nothing quite like that feeling of beating 4 people. Or yesterday, where I beat 4 people including a stupid fellow invader who kept attacking me for some reason...

I keep recording clips. No idea what I'll ever do with them. But I love having them lol

laxu

I don't know if this was posted but Dark Souls 1 is only 5 euros in the Steam store right now. I'm going to try to get thru that while waiting for the DS3 DLC.

poodpick

This character has 46 pale tongues, 4 forked pale tongues, 7 vertebra shackles, and 16 wolf blood sword grass.

I'm a bit twinked with carthus flame arc, knight slayer's ring, and 10 estus. But there's nothing quite like that feeling of beating 4 people. Or yesterday, where I beat 4 people including a stupid fellow invader who kept attacking me for some reason...

I keep recording clips. No idea what I'll ever do with them. But I love having them lol

The undead settlement is great because that is where you get these overconfident 4 person ganks made up of people that are new to the game. I led a gank to the platform where the bone dust is and one person just ran off the cliff trying to get to me. The rest were as simple as using terrain to split them up then killing them 1 by 1. None of them knew you could parry with a katana haha

Post your spoils of war!

My SL120 build

The undead settlement is great because that is where you get these overconfident 4 person ganks made up of people that are new to the game. I led a gank to the platform where the bone dust is and one person just ran off the cliff trying to get to me. The rest were as simple as using terrain to split them up then killing them 1 by 1. None of them knew you could parry with a katana haha

Undead settlement is great but I don't ONLY prey on noobs :) I also maxed out mound makers and fingers at Lothric Castle on another character.

I honestly usually forget about environmental advantages when I get into a gank and I just fight like a madman. But I do take advantage of several drops in the area for plunging attacks. I can only imagine how terrifying it is when a coop squad is going about their business and a large green man with a great club lands on them, pancaking all 3 of them.

Post your spoils of war!

My SL120 build

O dear...I thought I had a lot of Embers. You're close to the max of that and tongues. You crazy bastard!

RiggyRob

I got around to freeing Greirat and had a good first attempt at
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmw9lrO5pYY&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=6

If the theme last time was
the undead having parasites bursting out of their heads, the theme this time is 'teleportation' - I'm not sure how the internal logic of Greirat being trapped in a cell applies when he just teleports away after talking to him.

Vordt you can excuse as he's a boss and so it's kind of expected that they'd have the power to phase in and out as they please, but a thief trapped in a cell? Was there a magic barrier blocking him in?

On another note, this might be my favourite line of this playthrough so far: "Damn if I could crab like him, my thighs would be incredible."

Kinda dropped off right after entering
Anor Londo
. How far into the game am I, percentage-wise, if you'd have to put a number on it?

laxu

Started Dark Souls 1. With DSFix and HD texture mod it actually doesn't look too bad and runs very nicely. It is more clunky and easier because enemies have fewer attacks but surprisingly quite fun!

So I've been playing Bloodborne a lot recently. Being my first PS4 game I bought I was blown away and initially in love with it. But now; I'm starting to feel a bit exhausted. I love the setting; but having played the game for 20 hours or so the setting doesn't much change. Also I'm getting tired of the constant boss battles. I just want to explore and learn lore and not be interrupted by boss battles.

Is DS3 the same way?

You get quite a few setting changes in bloodborne, have you made it past Amelia? Also yes, the whole point of these games are difficult areas culminating in a boss fight.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just got this yesterday and beat the first boss on my second try. I started as a knight class. How viable is a dex build in this game?
Plenty viable. It's always what I make as first build. You can get a katana really early on (even earlier than in DS1!), and the mercenary class starts with dual scimitars (which used to suck but the patches made them decent now!). And longbows are great too.

Nice. And yeah I record my best clips and put them on youtube just for laughs. I try to keep them short (and fast-forward/timelapse the boring bits if there are any) and entertaining.

I started with my main invader in the Undead Settlement too, then eventually move him up as I level up/upgrade more. Went a bit into Farron Keep, spent a lot of time Catacombs (probably my favourite place to invade, so many fun things and traps to use but I'm overlevelled for it now), then Irithyll, then the dungeon, and now I'm currently invading in the Garden but I'll probably move on to the castle soon, the garden isn't as exciting.

Post your spoils of war! [pic]
Damn nice. Yeah I'm about the same I think, about 300+ tongues last I checked, and a ridiculous amount of embers.

Kinda dropped off right after entering
Anor Londo
. How far into the game am I, percentage-wise, if you'd have to put a number on it?
Depends on if you did the
Irithyll Dungeon/Profaned Capital
or not, and if you count the two major optional areas. So I'd say between about 65-75%?

Started Dark Souls 1. With DSFix and HD texture mod it actually doesn't look too bad and runs very nicely. It is more clunky and easier because enemies have fewer attacks but surprisingly quite fun!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755000

SL 120 Cleric

Sunlight Talisman
Iron Round Shield

Ring of Favour
Morne's Ring

The miracles I'm using are Tears of Denial, Lightning Blade, Sunlight Spear, and Wrath of the Gods. The Sunlight talisman is not the most powerful one at 60 Faith but it's weapon art (Unfaltering Prayer) seems to be the most effective out of all the talismans I tested. Since you need to be up close for offensive miracles to do the most damage I figured that would be best.

The fashion is the Undead Legion Helm, Leonhard's Garb, and the Assassin Gloves and Trousers.

No Sage Ring?

poodpick

SL 120 Cleric

Sunlight Talisman
Iron Round Shield

Ring of Favour
Morne's Ring

With the amount of stamina miracles use you should probably take 5 out of attunement and put it in endurance or add prisoners chain.

Was camping in the mountains for the last 4 days and my god I craved this game. The addiction is real. I just read the patch notes and I am very happy with the changes. Estoc nerf, Gotthard's/straight sword nerf, fist/claw weapon parry nerf, and miracle/sorc/pyro buffs? Yes please!

To celebrate the miracle buff, I decided to rebirth to a lightning warrior build. My main weapon will be the Lothric Knight Greatsword (lightning infusion) because ultra greatswords are overall my favorite weapon class - dat heavy thrust attack, stomp skill, and parry immunity. I will also play around with other weapons like the Dragonslayer's Axe and Lothric Knight Sword (has S Faith scaling when lightning infused!) whoops, you need 18 DEX to use that sword, so nevermind. Here's my general build if anyone is interested:

Luap's Lightning Warrior

Grr... now I'm embarrassed that I published the build with a mistake in it. I don't have an account so I can't edit it. I hope nobody uses the build with the hopes of using the Lothric Knight Sword, only to realize they're short 2 DEX points. Lol...

Technically the Japan OT had two so we are at 4
But yea we need that DLC

Ah okay. I can't wait for the LDC, but I'd be doing it in NG++ :( I'll have to make a new character so I can do it in NG. I wish you could choose to do the DLC in NG despite being in NG+ and up.

I hope we see something of Velka in the DLC. Set that shit in Londor with Velka as the final boss.

Why? Velka is awesome, I wouldn't wanna fight her and kill her.

Dancer of the Boreal Valley is no joke damn.

Dancer is a beast, just shreds you up.

Plenty viable. It's always what I make as first build. You can get a katana really early on (even earlier than in DS1!), and the mercenary class starts with dual scimitars (which used to suck but the patches made them decent now!). And longbows are great too.
Should I try like a Skill/Faith build or some weird shit like that?

Should I try like a Skill/Faith build or some weird shit like that?

You can! Actually that's my current build!

But with the inconvenient that most ofensive miracles comes quite late at the game. So it takes quite some time to get a proper cleric warrior or similar. If you just want support miracles (HP recovery, HP regen, Removing status, etc...) those are already avaliable in the game quite early.

So depends of what kind of character you want to make.

Edit: Can't log in the PS4 servers? Maintenance?

I hope we see something of Velka in the DLC. Set that shit in Londor with Velka as the final boss.
I said this in one of the other threads. I don't know enough about her story to say if she's a good fit for a boss or not but because she's been such an elusive part of the story I would like to finally see her, even as a Gwynevere type NPC if not a boss.

I'm also hoping to see Frampt and/or Kaathe, given the statues in the archives and Kaathe's link to Londor I feel like this might be more likely. I also want another snow area!

Booshka

Oh hi Booshka. How are you liking the game?

I like it, not terribly impressed with the PvE or bosses, but I do like the variety and level design for the most part, even if it is because so much of it is fan service and callbacks.

Put a couple hundred hours into it already, but kinda winding down on playing it. What is a good level for low-mid level invasions? I was thinking SL 40-50 at +6 weapons, was wondering if you had any insight. I want some classic random invasions of people actually going through the game. I have a SL 100 that I play regularly, and a 120 that I play here and there. But was thinking about making a mid level invader too.

Mostly leaning toward STR on all my characters, Refined for the 120. Enjoying the Heavy upgrade path, glad they brought back STR/DEX dedicated scaling paths. Great Club, Zwei, Yhorm's Great Machete, Greataxe, Lucerne, and a few others are my main weapons. Heavy Broadsword for when I just want to R1 against the World.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Put a couple hundred hours into it already, but kinda winding down on playing it. What is a good level for low-mid level invasions. I was thinking SL 40-50 at +6 weapons, was wondering if you had any insight.
Catacombs. Irithyll isn't bad either, but I had more fun in the Catacombs.

Kay, so I signed up for a month of Lootcrate Gaming because they said there would be a Dark Souls III item...I'ma spoiler tag just in the off chance someone else bought it too
They were like "We're gonna have a Dark Souls item in here m80!" and it was like the main picture so I thought it was gonna be something super special! Nope. It's a T-shirt with that annoying phrase "Do you you even praise the Sun?" While I love Solaire and praising the sun, I hate that god awful meme which is derived from do you even lift. If it was just PRAISE THE SUN! It would have been okay. I was expecting something better though, like my own sun, or a collectors item of the beloved Solaire, not a tee I HAVE BILLIONS OF THOSE! /rant

Anyways, being naked with -178 damage absorption is still fun, just gotta make sure to pick up my souls when I die lol. I ended up beating someone(somehow?). He kept spamming parry and failing, meanwhile had he poked me once I woulda died. O well sux to be him.

GAF where would Patches be besides the tower, after the bridge, by the doors and Firelink.

Sieg is in the well and Geirat or whoever is off plundering the valley. Best way to handle this is open the firelink tower Im assuming?

Ive already cleared up to the Valley and Profaned Capital. No bosses killed.

These quest lines are confusing

GAF where would Patches be besides the tower, after the bridge, by the doors and Firelink.

Sieg is in the well and Geirat or whoever is off plundering the valley. Best way to handle this is open the firelink tower Im assuming?

Ive already cleared up to the Valley and Profaned Capital. No bosses killed.

These quest lines are confusing

Yeah the questlines are all over the place.

As for your question:
If you told Patches where Greirat is, Patches will go rescue him. Defeat a boss and both Greirat and PAtches should go back to their places in Firelink. Edit: Wait did you meet Patches at the tower yet? You said besides the tower, and Firelink which made me assume you met him there already, but you're asking if you should open the tower? Wat?

Yeah the questlines are all over the place.

As for your question:
If you told Patches where Greirat is, Patches will go rescue him. Defeat a boss and both Greirat and PAtches should go back to their places in Firelink. Edit: Wait did you meet Patches at the tower yet? You said besides the tower, and Firelink which made me assume you met him there already, but you're asking if you should open the tower? Wat?

No I avoided the tower until just now. It's all good.
He was there...was I supposed to come here to start his quest? maybe thats why I never saw him in Cathedral.

Edit: and yeah I knew my post made no sense..lol. I kind of figured it out right after I posted.

No I avoided the tower until just now. It's all good.
He was there...was I supposed to come here to start his quest? maybe thats why I never saw him in Cathedral.

Edit: and yeah I knew my post made no sense..lol. I kind of figured it out right after I posted.

No worries, I didn't realize until I re-read it lol.

Nah,
if you kill the giant near the stairs leading to Deacons before meeting him there, he won't spawn.

squidyj

No worries, I didn't realize until I re-read it lol.

Nah,
if you kill the giant near the stairs leading to Deacons before meeting him there, he won't spawn.

You are incorrect,
It's talking to siegward in the well first or activating the Rosaria's bedchamber bonfire that keeps him from spawning there. If you've already killed the Giants he'll have some dialogue about it though

You are incorrect,
It's talking to siegward in the well first or activating the Rosaria's bedchamber bonfire that keeps him from spawning there. If you've already killed the Giants he'll have some dialogue about it though

Really?
Because I killed the giants but never spoke to Siegward or lit the Rosaria's bedchamber bonfire and he wasn't there...I guess there's multiple ways to stop him from spawning :p.

Top Bottom