• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Nah, joke's forever gonna be on those who spent all those hours collecting them.

I got the achievement so #worth

But yeah, farming them was super obnoxious and I'm glad I never have to do it again. It got to the point where I had over whelming joy whenever I saw that ear drop. Now when I get summoned as a bluebro and I end up failing I don't beat myself up over it :p

I got all my 30 proof on PC with just covenant action in a few hours playing the game normally, no farming silver knights.

I hate you.

Tarkus

I had 12 Proofs left to get before I started today. 1 hour later I got only 4 left that I need!

Got 8 in 1 hour. Wow. 5 from the Knights and 3 from summons. 3 were like in a row. Got summoned 3 times too. 1st time was caught off guard, but did better next 2 times.
You didn't happen to be wearing a certain gold shield with wings when you were killing knights were you?

Don't know what's going on, but I never had this "someone hits you in hyperarmor, but still gets away with a roll", what's the fucking point of hyperarmor then!

I guess is lag...

Ferr986

Got blue summoned again. 4 times today! That makes it more times that all of my playtime since release.

I wonder if the new patch about being able to switch covenants mid-invasions helped.

Now I just need to appear before the invader gets killed so I can actually get a reward...

gaugebozo

I had the best luck getting summoned for Darkmoons at NG+ level 120 in Anor Londo. Like one summon every few minutes vs. 4 total up to that point.

poodpick

I had the best luck getting summoned for Darkmoons at NG+ level 120 in Anor Londo. Like one summon every few minutes vs. 4 total up to that point.

I feel bad for people that don't get summoned at all. I tried farming on my achievement build and just gave up and waited for summons in between invasions instead. Sitting at 30 concords for the covenant, 33 in my inventory, and 1 well kept proof.

gaugebozo

What I really hated was even when I got summoned, it ended up being a gank squad like a quarter of the time. I really ended up appreciating fight clubs when I found them.

poodpick

What I really hated was even when I got summoned, it ended up being a gank squad like a quarter of the time. I really ended up appreciating fight clubs when I found them.

The worst is when you think you've convinced the host to stand aside and watch and he runs in at the end and finishes the invader.

Tarkus

It's just a placebo I'm surprised you place so much faith in it.
While I fucking hate farming, when I do, I usually use avarice, gold ring, and the Crystal Sage Rapier. I do throw on the Golden Falcon Shield every once and a while for fun and get drops. I know it's RNG, but it seems to result in a lot of drops. I'll always have that suspicion.

Ferr986

Area you are doesn't matter. For example, today I've been summoned from Profaned Capital to the K
iln
, from Anor Londo to Grand Archives and from Crucifixion Woods to the Peak. And the other I can't even remember lol

Soulhouf

I'm getting tired of invading players with their friends who have end game gear. It reached the point where it's too much.
Level bypass when you use password and item drop for friend to pick up shouldn't be a thing in this game.
I like low level/low gear invasions because it's simple and I don't have to deal with the end game bullshit but now even this is getting too annoying.
*sigh*

Ferr986

Gotta love hosts that summon you for help through an area, and when they got invaded run the fuck out back to the bonfire leaving without fighting. I mean, we are 2, you fucking coward.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Gotta love hosts that summon you for help through an area, and when they got invaded run the fuck out back to the bonfire leaving without fighting. I mean, we are 2, you fucking coward.
One time I invaded a trio like that, and the host did exactly that, while one of the phantoms fought me and the host would try to sneak in a hit every now and then but generally being a coward. The 2nd phantom just watched. I killed the phantom and then the host and the 2nd phantom clapped at the end. Hahahaha

Ferr986

One time I invaded a trio like that, and the host did exactly that, while one of the phantoms fought me and the host would try to sneak in a hit every now and then but generally being a coward. The 2nd phantom just watched. I killed the phantom and then the host and the 2nd phantom clapped at the end. Hahahaha

Dude didnt even try to hit, he just ran back. Atleast I got a duel but I sitll lost lol

These kind of people suck. It's like when I try to get summoned for help through a level and get up instead on a gank squad. Ganks squad hosts usually sucks so much (guess that's why they do it). I tend to just black crystal it. (exception sometimes in the woods when we are just 2 because you get 2 or even 3 invaders really fast there).

T Ghost

I'm going into the seventh hour of exclusively fighting Nameless King.

Managed to kill all bosses, none took more than an hour. Nameless King is the last one left. First run.

Watched tons of videos. Looks doable in the videos. Still have ZERO idea of how to actually kill the frigging drake. For the last three days, everything I try gets me killed constantly, quickly and violently.

My biggest problem is the camera, can't see shit 90% of the time. whenever I can see them, easy to dodge and avoid. Also have trouble reaching the head. When I get there, head is already up.

Any tips besides "git gud" would be very welcome.

poodpick

Managed to kill all bosses, none took more than an hour. Nameless King is the last one left. First run.

Watched tons of videos. Looks doable in the videos. Still have ZERO idea of how to actually kill the frigging drake. For the last three days, everything I try gets me killed constantly, quickly and violently.

My biggest problem is the camera, can't see shit 90% of the time. whenever I can see them, easy to dodge and avoid. Also have trouble reaching the head. When I get there, head is already up.

Try to get under the neck thats about all I can tell you. You just need to learn the timings. Oh and if you're having trouble with the camera don't lock on

God damn it feels good to land a chaos blade parry

2AdEPT

Yeah there are only a couple times in a sequence when you can actually hit his neck...the rest of the time is just repositioning and dodging his attacks. Learn when you can attack and take a good series of blows...if you are using a weapon that two hands up and down, this is waaay better for hitting the neck which is above you ...dont swing side to side your weapon will rarely hit the neck part.

The camera does suck at times during that fight, it's a field of depth thing for me, I swing sometimes and realise I'm not close enough, so I usually go to the side of its face rather than head on.

The flame breath is perfect time for getting damage in, and you really want to be rolling through NK's attacks and attacking the head out of the roll. When it flies up you should be on the move to follow where it will land, and never get under it's feel. If you see the fly up/flame breath attack, you're doing the fight wrong, you should never see that attack ever if you are positioned right, never get further under it than it's neck.

I agree about not locking on too - can be useful for positioning maybe, but really there's no need to use lock on during this stage of the fight.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did activity suddenly die down (due to the global restart or whatever) or did the latest patch screw up matchmaking? 'Cause I use to insta-invade in Irithyll Dungeon, and now it takes quite a bit of waiting time between invasions... I didn't level up or upgrade my weapon in-between either.

gaugebozo

I now exclusively use Black Knight Glaive for the Drake. The r1 is an overhead chop that's great at catching him. Also, dragonslayer shield and chaos fire orb for the 2nd phase. The shield has 95% lightning block, and the orb drains stamina really well. Most bosses are ready for a critical attack after two plus a few sword swings. If you don't have the stats for the shield, use the Lothric knight shield.

Edit: oh, and the best time to go for the head is when he breathes fire. It's really well telegraphed, and you can usually get 2-3 shoots in.

Jabba

Banned
I 'm just getting started really. Beat first boss, then got killed after a pretty good trapes through the next level but didn't like my character. Is it me or has From patched frame/rate/pacing? It seems much smoother than Bloodborne.

Tarkus

I 'm just getting started really. Beat first boss, then got killed after a pretty good trapes through the next level but didn't like my character. Is it me or has From patched frame/rate/pacing? It seems much smoother than Bloodborne.
I've never been enlightened on exactly what frame pacing issues are, and I don't want to know because I would notice it constantly and be bothered by it. However, DS3 seems to be smoother to me. Both games have their hiccups, but BB seemed more inconsistent.

Done!

img_65819aojx.jpg

img_6584trpok.jpg

You can now join the family :)

img_4946nmlhu.jpg

img_4945j8xwm.jpg

img_4948fka22.jpg

img_49472rycz.jpg

img_495071lvn.jpg

img_4949l0x9t.jpg

95 + 146 + 139 +122 = 502 hours of pure Souls enjoyment!

I spent pretty much all day playing my randomized stat character, because I finally hit a groove and was able to complete roughly two and a half big areas and three bosses.

I already described part of what happened in the Cathedral in an earlier post. I was able to successfully trigger the NPC questlines there correctly. I am also dumb and only now realized that the elevator that opens the front gate of the Cathedral is intended to be a shortcut to the boss, via using another shortcut from the bonfire. This knowledge managed to elude me because I missed one of the shortcuts to the bonfire my first playthough and never understood the point of having a shortcut to an area you didn't need to explore anymore.

After beating Deacons, the dice roller gave me Endurance and Faith as my level ups. I think at the time this put my character around 23 Faith or so. I decide to start upgrading a Longsword with the Blessed infusion (although I don't think I will ever get around to using it.)

I ended up skipping a good half of the Catacombs. I honestly can't remember what good items are in the first half and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Maybe I'll go back and check, but my goal was to get to Smouldering Lake and get the titanite there to finally +7 my Battle Axe. I'm not ready to give the Battle Axe an infusion because I need a source of physical damage from a weapon, and my Strength and Dex still aren't high enough to make scaling worthwhile. I explored the Ruins a bit too, but I abandoned it once I realized I don't remember where the Estus Shard was.

I went back and defeated Wolnir. Simple enough. The dice roller after that boss fight gave me Strength and Attunement to level up, which finally gives me enough strength (14) to wield the Brigand Axe (which apparently uses less stamina than the Battle Axe). The Brigand Axe will most likely be the weapon I apply Chaos infusion to.

Finally, I finish playing for today by going back to Smouldering Lake to beat the boss there. The dice roller there gives me more Strength, and more Faith to level up. Both stats are appreciated.

---

I changed the rules of this challenge to be randomizing level ups per boss, but I might've been too generous with how many points I can level up (1 point of Vigor, and then 3 points in two different randomized stats), because I've gotten to the point where leveling up has slowed down considerably (I still haven't finished leveling up my points) and I need to grind more to finish leveling up. 1 Vigor and 2 points in two stats might work better in the future.

Next time I play I will either fight the Dancer early, or continue progressing with my goal to head to Yhorm.

GulAtiCa

Got only 2 more Proofs left! Today has been weirdly productive.. I got 10 today, only for like playing for max 2 hours. 3 were for Summons, which I got summoned 4 times!

I wonder if the latest patch made Proofs slightly easier to get. Been getting summoned mid-farming for the Proofs too.

Done!

img_6584trpok.jpg

You can now join the family :)

95 + 146 + 139 +122 = 502 hours of pure Souls enjoyment!

What? It shows co-op missions and shit? I'm so jelly right now...mine would be over 100 :(.

DaS 2: SotFS I had 99 Sunlight medals in my inventory and bb lol.

For me I have 427 hrs in DaS, 305 in DaS II, 121 in SotFS, and 195 in DaS III.

DaS 1 is 100%ed on Xbox and Steam(I don't remember my playtime on Xbox though). DaS 2 is 100%ed on Steam, SotFS is 87%(Need hexes, pyromancies, miracles, Ashen Mist which glitched my first playthrough since Steam was in offline mode and The Dark Soul...obviously.) DaS 3 is 93% done(need rings, ending, and The Dark Soul).

If a blue sentinel gets summoned during an invasion but the host runs to the boss battle, do they get a proof?
Yeah.

I wonder...wiki says that if a Way of Blue summons a red/purple through the red soapstone a blade cannot be summoned. However, it doesn't say the same thing for Blue Sentinels. They're pretty much the same covenant but I wonder if the rule would still apply.

Dammit. OK, next sentinels aren't escaping me...
Loooool wow, you really don't want bluebros to get them ears, do you D:?

What? It shows co-op missions and shit? I'm so jelly right now...mine would be over 100 :(.

DaS 2: SotFS I had 99 Sunlight medals in my inventory and bb lol.

For me I have 427 hrs in DaS, 305 in DaS II, 121 in SotFS, and 195 in DaS III.

DaS 1 is 100%ed on Xbox and Steam(I don't remember my playtime on Xbox though). DaS 2 is 100%ed on Steam, SotFS is 87%(Need hexes, pyromancies, miracles, Ashen Mist which glitched my first playthrough since Steam was in offline mode and The Dark Soul...obviously.) DaS 3 is 93% done(need rings, ending, and The Dark Soul).

You will 1000/1000 DaS3 pretty soon! It's worth it :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That feeling when you're invading and realize you have 770k souls now (after having, say, 120k earlier).

Who the hell did I kill that made me jump so high? Some nerfed phantom no doubt but wooooow

Meccs

Bought "Scholar of the First Sin" yesterday since it's on sale and upgraded my normal Dark Soul 2 version. Made a new character thinking I could do another playthrough since I never finished the DLC. Man oh man that game feels clunky now. I'm not sure that this was a good purchase after playing Dark Souls 3 for so long.

Mistel

Banned
While I fucking hate farming, when I do, I usually use avarice, gold ring, and the Crystal Sage Rapier. I do throw on the Golden Falcon Shield every once and a while for fun and get drops. I know it's RNG, but it seems to result in a lot of drops. I'll always have that suspicion.
It's not as fun as Monster Hunter farming that's for sure even when that has much lower drop rates for some things.
Bought "Scholar of the First Sin" yesterday since it's on sale and upgraded my normal Dark Soul 2 version. Made a new character thinking I could do another playthrough since I never finished the DLC. Man oh man that game feels clunky now. I'm not sure that this was a good purchase after playing Dark Souls 3 for so long.
Whilst feeling a bit ice skate like and clunky 2 does have several things it did better than 3 so it's worth playing for that plus the DLC is are the better areas of the game.

Soulhouf

It's not because of DS3.
2 always felt like that for me compared to Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls. It's very unique in that regard but you get used to it.

Meccs

Yeah, I'll probably stick with it. It's a bit OT since this is the Dark souls 3 topic but I find it interesting after having played 150 hours of DS2 and over 200 hours of DS3 that DS2 now feels so floaty. The main problem I have is that sometimes I get hit and don't even notice. There is no real impact to hits. It's weird. I will probably get used to it after a few hours.
There are also a ton of people playing DS2 currently, there are soooo many messages and phantoms running around. It's insane. it was a really good move to discount the two previous games now that people have played DS3 for a while.

There were some very good DLC ideas on reddit:

DLC #1

- Kingdom of Carthus
- Londor
- The Deep

DLC #2

- Something ???
- Bridge to Heaven/ Angels
- Heaven/ Angels and final God boss

Top Bottom