• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

:-D :-D :-D
Happy to hear that i'm not the only one to do this!
Just ten minutes of ENB and I fall asleep... systematically.
I actually fell asleep at work watching him get his ass handed to him by Pontiff Sullyvahn last night. I woke up and he was done at some point.

I haven't had the time to dedicate to DS3 lately at all sadly but was able to step back into things last week.

Some thoughts I have to get off my chest regarding the last few areas I've been through:

Pure gameplay wise, this might be my favorite one of them all, it's a joy to play seriously. HOWEVER, the fan service is truly getting out of control and it's getting to the eye-rolling point for me. I mean, the levels have become progressively more 'version 2.0' of everything I saw in DeS or DS1. Right now I have the choice between Irithyll Dungeon, which is Tower Of Latria based on what I'm seeing and Anor Londo which is well...Anor Fucking Londo...again. I've already been through a regurgitated swamp, Undead Burn and Hemwick Charnel Lane so far, are there any surprises coming my way at all, it's getting irritating.

The graphics and art design are both gorgeous and combined with the gameplay, yeah, I love playing the game but part of the enjoyment is obviously discovery. By now, every new level, which they are in this one seeing how everything is from point A to B, just has me react in a 'ah...it's this and that from Des/DS1/Bloodborne...cool?'

Not sure what exactly I'm expecting to happen but I'd like to be surprised at least slightly, is there anything coming my way at all? When I saw Anor Londo pop up on my screen last night, I actually yelled REALLY!? at the screen. I get it's a sequel but I mean come on.

Also, Mr. Pontiff is a fucking power asshole. I somehow managed to best him in six or seven tries but still, what a complete dick.

Not sure what exactly I'm expecting to happen but I'd like to be surprised at least slightly, is there anything coming my way at all?
Not really no. The backend of the game is well done in terms of level design and layout, but I don't think any area is going to blow your mind in terms of originality.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm currently grinding all the covenant items offline and it's taking forever. However, I am getting a boatload of souls.

Is it worth levelling luck, or do the benefits of mimic head, crystal sage rapier and covetous snake ring completely trivialise it?

I'm currently grinding all the covenant items offline and it's taking forever. However, I am getting a boatload of souls.

Is it worth levelling luck, or do the benefits of mimic head, crystal sage rapier and covetous snake ring completely trivialise it?
I don't think leveling luck makes that much of a difference tbh, but you could respec to a luck build and use Anri's weapon (scales with luck) as your main so you are still doing good damage - every little helps.

I would also pop a rusted coin every run or two depending on your farming routes.

I think the later items help.

Not really no. The backend of the game is well done in terms of level design and layout, but I don't think any area is going to blow your mind in terms of originality.

That's a shame. The incredibly rigid linearity and lack of meaningful shortcuts was grating on me just slightly but paired with an absolute lack of originality, DS3 is actively starting to annoy me a bit.

kaos.

Get the parry timing downs for his attacks and he can't touch you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h45Lhr5XZlo

Yeah, once you learn his parry timings this boss become a joke.
Congrats for your video.

GG!
I have only this boss left on my SL1, I beat NK yesterday night when I returned home half drunk... :-D :-D
I saw that you choose a very "conservative" way to fight him: dragon crest shield instead of grass crest shield, Lloyd shield and attack rings, knight ring for strength bonus and no chloranty ring... what ring did you use instead of this one?

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I don't think leveling luck makes that much of a difference tbh, but you could respec to a luck build and use Anri's weapon (scales with luck) as your main so you are still doing good damage - every little helps.

I would also pop a rusted coin every run or two depending on your farming routes.
In that case I'll keep dumping everything into Vit to fulfill my dream of becoming Smavel.

i have a feeling some boss attack animations lock your character into place

I swear theres a few times ive pressed dodged at the perfect moment, but i get whupped by the boss's attack

That's a possibility. Because he'll do his roundhouse kick right before I try rolling almost everyttime.

So I get almost zero titanite drops in the early parts of the game but then RNG manages to give me two of these in one playthrough...
double_chest_boyz_by_realghostvids-da79su8.jpg

I got like six in a playthrough so far. I had two, and tried to give one to a friend(it fell through the floor because Fromsoft...so I gave him my other one. I grinded for another two, then the other two dropped when I straight out killed a mimic.

Easy solution to this boredom:
don't watch.

That's your solution to everything :p

Get the parry timing downs for his attacks and he can't touch you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h45Lhr5XZlo

I might try that. I parried him a couple times in NG+, but that's before he could hurt me so much, and I'm pretty abysmal at parrying.

Cheeky cunt. I had trouble with him at like SL 80-85. Probably gonna have trouble with him in NG++ at SL 135...

Look at this GIF I saw on my facebook feed lol

l41YeCX5mZytKy2fC.gif

One of these guys hit me with their pot and knocked me off that small bridge into the canyon D:.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Yeah, once you learn his parry timings this boss become a joke.
Congrats for your video.

GG!
I have only this boss left on my SL1, I beat NK yesterday night when I returned home half drunk... :-D :-D
I saw that you choose a very "conservative" way to fight him: dragon crest shield instead of grass crest shield, Lloyd shield and attack rings, knight ring for strength bonus and no chloranty ring... what ring did you use instead of this one?

Prisoners Chain's

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's your solution to everything :p
Yes, my solution to not being bored is to not do boring things.

Try it some time. It's amazing how well it works!

Why is their HP so low??

Now I know why people say this boss is hard. They never level up their VIG and get one- or two-shot by any attack. Geez. This boss is super easy to brute force with just a decent amount of HP.
Of course you should also git gud and, well, dodge her shit, and it's easy enough because she's not even that aggressive, but yeah. This isn't someone trying to beat them at SL1 or early in the game either, as they have Carthus rouge, late-game armour etc. Go figure.

If you don't have PS+, you can still play online this weekend for free according to this thread. Come one, come all.

Sounds like the perfect time for

GAF FIGHT CLUB: ROUND 3 MY META IS FUCKED UP SO I GOT TO BLEED/PARRY YOU: IT'S STRAIGHT-UP BESTOC TIME!

Same as last time:

PS4

Saturday 21:00 GMT (9:00 pm)

That's 16:00 EST (4:00 pm) and 14:00 PDT (2:00 pm)

Take care about your summer times and all, here's a cool site to compare timezones and hours:

http://time.is/compare

That dosn't mean we'll start exactly at that hour, but rather a time to put in common so we'll know more or less when to start. We probably will stay for some time, so just join when you can.

Rules:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

- First buff is free, both players can buff once before attacking each other, any other buff will have to happen midfight.

I'm keeping the old spreadsheet, so update your info or join at will

Quote to see it

PC people are free to use the spreadsheet and organize a paralel event.
But majority of people are on PS4, I hope you can have some fun too.

Hosting places:

- High Wall of Lothric
- After Pointiff (PvP meta space)

Try to keep either of these two boss places alive so you can summon more than 2 people.

I'll start hosting myself, but we should share this duty so we can all have fun!

Soulhof was very kind to create a GAF DS3 community(PS4) for this, later I'll add the people that is not there.

Yes, my solution to not being bored is to not do boring things.

Try it some time. It's amazing how well it works!

Why is their HP so low??

Now I know why people say this boss is hard. They never level up their VIG and get one- or two-shot by any attack. Geez. This boss is super easy to brute force with just a decent amount of HP.
Of course you should also git gud and, well, dodge her shit, and it's easy enough because she's not even that aggressive, but yeah. This isn't someone trying to beat them at SL1 or early in the game either, as they have Carthus rouge, late-game armour etc. Go figure.

Why doesn't Fromsoft fix autosummoning so we don't gotta grind for em :p? My inner achievement whoreism prevents me from not doing the boring things though D:. I must 100% all Dark Souls games! They're like the only ones I bother to 100% anyways.

How many PCMR users are here?

Soulhouf

Why is their HP so low??

My problem with the dancer is that I can't reliably figure out which attack she's going to pull out each time or when the attack is going to land.
She's like Voldo in Soulcalibur, unpredictable.

gdt

Champion Gundyr was a fucker. Him and The Dancer were my hardest bosses. Oceiros wasn't too bad at all.

Nameless King though.......man I need a better plan for him.

Why is their HP so low??

The OP on Reddit said he/she is doing a low level bleed build. That character is SL 12.

This was me yesterday (SL1 run). I've given up, again.....

Salty, but at peace I guess, since I know even if I beat the Dancer I've got Oceiros and the final boss to contend with. I'm not actually that worried about the Princes or Nameless King - but since I'm not going to get to them, that's easy to say isn't it!!

Yeah I have to imagine Soul of Cinder is an absolute monster for a SL 1 character. I would never even attempt that.

Tarkus

Sounds like the perfect time for

GAF FIGHT CLUB: ROUND 3 MY META IS FUCKED UP SO I GOT TO BLEED/PARRY YOU: IT'S STRAIGHT-UP BESTOC TIME!
I can host at Undead Settlement. That first open area with the dogs might be cool to do. There are stairs and an overlooking ledge to spectate from. The place outside the door to the Cursewwood Tree might be good as well. I can do Pontiff and the hidden areas too.

Matt Frost

Finally, got the Platinum! 140 hours in total. Great game but FROM could do the PvP better, but all in all was fun. Bloodborne is better in almost every way and the DLC is harder as well. Going to BB now to get the Platinum.

Tarkus

I need souls to level up. My usual farming spot at Grand Archives will be unavailable to me since I'm planning in hosting some of the fight club. What's another terrific place to farm a massive amount of souls quickly?

Mistel

Banned
I need souls to level up. My usual farming spot at Grand Archives will be unavailable to me since I'm planning in hosting some of the fight club. What's another terrific place to farm a massive amount of souls quickly?
Archdragon peak infinite summon is pretty good.

Kaz42

Ran into someone who had a smidgen of health left and didnt die when I hit him nor did he take damage. He one shotted me with a spell so I didnt get a chance to follow up a hit. Is there a spell or miracle that makes it so that health is hidden? Kind of confused what happened.

2AdEPT

Easy solution to this boredom:
don't watch.
I'm genuinely interested in seeing his "blind" reacting to the NPC quests none of which he figured out his first time through....just wish he had the insight to realize no one cares about watching someone else kill mob enemies that most people just run by on their first playthrough, let alone their second. He actually responded to my complaint about this on his reddit page by saying, "you want me to play like you, I want to play like me" . I do FF as a compromise. A lot.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing his "blind" reacting to the NPC quests none of which he figured out his first time through....just wish he had the insight to realize no one cares about watching someone else kill mob enemies that most people just run by on their first playthrough, let alone their second. He actually responded to my complaint about this on his reddit page by saying, "you want me to play like you, I want to play like me" . I do FF as a compromise. A lot.
ENB is ENB, you ever watch AGermanSpy's stuff? I found the miracle teacher and two new sets of armor. Trying to rock the fashion souls this time. It's fun. Still debating if I should get the Tower key or not.

Don't pop it every 2nd or nth run. It doesn't work like that. The routine will fuck up your math and you will forget did you pop it last time or not? Or was it 3 runs ago? And you will lose time checking ID on the stats screen... been there done that.

Just buy 600 coins from Patches and pop them every single time. Make it a muscle memory habit to use them. You stand up from the bonfire = you use a coin.

kaos.

Just finished my SL1... Prisoner's chain OP, Raw Astora Straight Sword OP. :p
Now I can put aside Ds3 until the first DLC will be released.

Top Bottom