• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Other than the main menu theme the music in this game is pretty shit, especially coming from Bloodborne.

I think it's fine but too by-the-numbers for the series. I really dislike the overbearing Firelink Shrine music and load screen/character selection tunes. Demon's and Dark 1's load screen and character themes are some of the most evocative soundtrack tunes I've ever heard.

I have yet to hear anything besides the
Abyss Watchers
fight that made me perk up my ears and listen back on the soundtrack.

kaos.

Show off! :p

Well done though, it's way tougher than DS1 and 2 for me at SL1. Kudos :)

Thank you. :)
Ok, when all the episodes will be on my yt channel, i'll write all the links here. :)

I read that you've given up with the dancer... keep trying!
If i reached the end of my sl1 (and my run was very far from perfect), anyone can do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8

Dark Souls 3 - Luck Build - SL 120 - Final Boss - NG+7

DEM BLEEDS!

Edit. Lol, forgot to use my buffs in that fight.

Why'd you talk out the music? Nonetheless, congrats! I haven't tried fighting him on my NG++ SL 135 character yet, but I melted his face in NG+.

Thank you. :)
Ok, when all the episodes will be on my yt channel, i'll write all the links here. :)

I read that you've given up with the dancer... keep trying!
If i reached the end of my sl1 (and my run was very far from perfect), anyone can do it!

Mate, I'm having trouble doing NG++ on SL 135 and you want me to do NG at SL 1?! Hell Pontiff melted me, do you not recall my "I suck at fighting Pontiff" video? I tried doing SL 1 in DaS 1 and only need to beat Gwyn, and 3/4 bosses in the DLC.

Don't pop it every 2nd or nth run. It doesn't work like that. The routine will fuck up your math and you will forget did you pop it last time or not? Or was it 3 runs ago? And you will lose time checking ID on the stats screen... been there done that.

Just buy 600 coins from Patches and pop them every single time. Make it a muscle memory habit to use them. You stand up from the bonfire = you use a coin.

I do it every two runs and if I don't recall if it was two or three runs ago I just pop another.

Custom textures mod for the PC version is available but no one knows if it'll get you banned yet, so use at your own risk.

Texture mods generally don't get you banned. Like DSFix for DaS 1 would only get you banned if you unlocked the FPS.

kaos.

Mate, I'm having trouble doing NG++ on SL 135 and you want me to do NG at SL 1?! Hell Pontiff melted me, do you not recall my "I suck at fighting Pontiff" video? I tried doing SL 1 in DaS 1 and only need to beat Gwyn, and 3/4 bosses in the DLC.

I suck at fighting Sulyvahn too... and that's why i fought him only when i got raw astora ss+10 and hornet ring... so i had to learn only the parry timing of the first leap attack, and then R1's spam ftw! :D

Despera

Banned
I think it's fine but too by-the-numbers for the series. I really dislike the overbearing Firelink Shrine music and load screen/character selection tunes. Demon's and Dark 1's load screen and character themes are some of the most evocative soundtrack tunes I've ever heard.

I have yet to hear anything besides the
Abyss Watchers
fight that made me perk up my ears and listen back on the soundtrack.
I figured the spoiler tagged text was abyss watchers before clicking on it. The only in-game track worth a damn from what I've heard so far, and it isn't even that great.

I wasn't expecting much though. Out of all the Soulsborne games Bloodborne was the only one with great music, and that's only because Bamco wasn't responsible for it but Sony.

I figured the spoiler tagged text was abyss watchers before clicking on it. The only in-game track worth a damn from what I've heard so far, and it isn't even that great.

I wasn't expecting much though. Out of all the Soulsborne games Bloodborne was the only one with great music, and that's only because Bamco wasn't responsible for it but Sony.

I think Demon's Souls and Dark Souls had stellar soundtracks.
Gwyn and Moonlight Butterfly
have some of my favorite boss battle themes I can even think of and I was actually taken aback at how well they fit and everything.

Dark Souls 3, while doing its job, strikes me as typical Fantasy fare with a melancholic touch to it but most of it is almost generic to me in its use. There is nothing as creative or eccentric going on at all like the previous games. I actually really can't stand the title screen theme, that type of corny bombast feels really wrong for the Souls series to me.

Regarding the spoiler tagged, I mainly liked it because it wasn't the same old and actually was unique. It isn't nearly as good as DeS/DS1/Blood but at least it stood out a bit.

Matt Frost

Agreed about Bloodborne's music. Best so far. But the music at The Nameless King was amazing as well. Favorite in DS3 for me

Despera

Banned
Agreed about Bloodborne's music. Best so far. But the music at The Nameless King was amazing as well. Favorite in DS3 for me
I'm halfway through the game and looking forward to that fight because of all the talk about how challenging he is as a boss. Some nice music would be icing on the cake.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Nameless King music, well, the King of the Storm part anyway, is incredibly similar to the Ancient Dragon music in DS2. o_O Must be Sakuraba?

While the OST isn't as strong as in Bloodborne I still think it's pretty darn good.

My favourite one is still the character creation music from demon's souls... and i don't like ds2 and ds3 soundtracks so much...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3nckWeT-m0

Absolutely. I rarely actually listen to video game music but I've put this on several times to go to sleep to. DS1 also has absolutely fantastic character screen music, it's a gorgeous piece of music.

DS3 one didn't have any of that quirky solemn vibe to it, just came off as heavy-handed and overbearing compared to these two.

Dark Souls 3 has a great soundtrack IMO. The main menu and Abyss Watchers themes are fantastic, and the second half of the Nameless King and Soul of Cinder fight themes are hype as fuck.

I generally hate the "x starter pack" meme, and memes in general since everyone under the Sun knows about em now. But this was pretty good since I hate the Dank Sword.

QczEAYZ.jpg

Hahaha oh dear, tell me about it. The number of people I've invaded called Guts and Artorias... SMH, people have zero creativity it seems.

Squeeze "Guts cosplay" and the Artorias set in there somewhere and it will be complete.

:( I'm doing Artorias because he's my favourite boss in the series. Dude is a serious badass, gets his left hand broken(which was his main hand, mind you) drops his shield and proceeds to kick your ass while using his greatsword in his OFFHAND. And he used his shield to protect his pup :3. But my character name is DarkHeartedKill(I suck with character names ;_;).

I'm using a Crystal Dork Sword in the club this weekend :/

:mad:! As long as it's not refined or whatever it's fine. Refined Dank Sword is borked.
Lol.

Dear heavens, is it shitposting time already?
D: I just really hate that sword

D: I just really hate that sword

I was just kidding.
It's ALWAYS shitposting time.

I got killed by a Havel's Armor wearing Dank Sword spammer last night. I was so salty because I was doing great until I accidentally cast Lightning Sword instead of Sunlight Spear so I just stood there buffing my weapon at point blank range like an idiot, which of course got me caught in the straight sword R1 stunlock of doom.

Cat Party

Got to the Farron Keep...I'm in no mood for poison swamp hellhole. Nope not tonight.

Poison is a minor nuisance in this game. It drains your health very slowly. There's a cheap miracle that removes the poison effect.

There's also an item very early in the swamp that gives you good poison resistance.

Soulhouf

The Nameless King music, well, the King of the Storm part anyway, is incredibly similar to the Ancient Dragon music in DS2. o_O Must be Sakuraba?

While the OST isn't as strong as in Bloodborne I still think it's pretty darn good.

Yep, that's Sakuraba for you. I don't like his style TBH but he managed to sneak out some good tracks in the soundtrack.
I'm a big sucker of VGM that's why every time I see someone removing music or putting something else I explode from the inside. I'm in love with Kitamura's style in DS3:
Title Screen, Prologue, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Oceiros, Abyss Watchers, Yhorm, 2 princes, alternative version of Firelink and Soul of Cinder are all stellar.
The soundtrack isn't as good as Bloodborne's but it's still by far my favorite of the 3 Dark Souls.

Made it all the way down to the lowest level of
Irythill Dunegon
only to be killed by a fucking rat...a small one at that, not the hit-like-a-truck giant rat...a rat.

If you've been through the area, you know how utterly absurd and infuriating this is haha.

Tarkus

Made it all the way down to the lowest level of
Irythill Dunegon
only to be killed by a fucking rat...a small one at that, not the hit-like-a-truck giant rat...a rat.

If you've been through the area, you know how utterly absurd and infuriating this is haha.
Wait till the next part of that area bwahahaha

Quikies83

Spear users, what are your favorites?
I've been using the pike but need something with a bit more damage -i love the look and length of the pike though..

Tarkus

Spear users, what are your favorites?
I've been using the pike but need something with a bit more damage -i love the look and length of the pike though..
Spears: Partizan, Drang Twinspears
Pikes: Lothric Knight Long Spear, outclasses the Pike in every way.

Oh no...what now. I nope'd out of the first
Anor Londo
bonfire and backtracked into the dungeons because the knights seemed a bit much to have to take on right now.

Great choice. I feel like almost every enemy in here is utterly obnoxious.

Massa

Oh no...what now. I nope'd out of the first
Anor Londo
bonfire and backtracked into the dungeons because the knights seemed a bit much to have to take on right now.

Great choice. I feel like almost every enemy in here is utterly obnoxious.

I love fighting the knights in
Anor Londo
, probably my favorite enemy in the game. Just do one at a time, use backstabs and be aware of where the others are when you fight one of them.

The jailers in the dungeon can get fucked though.

Anor Londo
, probably my favorite enemy in the game. Just do one at a time, use backstabs and be aware of where the others are when you fight one of them.

Jailers can jump off a cliff due to listening to a clever "item ahead" message for all I care!

You monster! that place is worse than hell!

I was just kidding.
It's ALWAYS shitposting time.

You can never be sure on the internet :p. And I concur.

Anor Londo

No I mean I really like fighting them and I loved them from DS1 but going through the prior area had me really exhausted at that point. The ascent was fairly brutal.

I missed the first
crystal lizard by the giant
, not happy about that.

I'm getting a bit burnt out on DS3 in general right now though even after putting it down for awhile, I feel like every new area I discover is more 'version 2.0' of something I've already seen than the previous one. Kind of killing my interest in exploring the world that there are really no surprises at all and I'm pretty far into the game I imagine.

HardRojo

Fucking Nameless King must be the hardest boss I've faced in the game yet. It took me North of 15 tries but it felt good because I reached a point where I'd go through the first phase with barely a scratch, then Nameless King would fuck my shit up until I learned his attack patterns and started improving. Off to Dragon Barracks now.

Tarkus

Does anyone else think that the Sage Ring doesn't really affect casting speed that much? It seems to benefit the sword spells the most. I can hardly tell the difference on other spells.

HeeHo

Does anyone else think that the Sage Ring doesn't really affect casting speed that much? It seems to benefit the sword spells the most. I can hardly tell the difference on other spells.

I thought I read somewhere that it acts as if you have 30 dex ( I guess dex effects casting speed?) and increases your casting speed as if you did. So if you already have 30 dex or close to it, it might not be noticeable at all.

Tarkus

I thought I read somewhere that it acts as if you have 30 dex ( I guess dex effects casting speed?) and increases your casting speed as if you did. So if you already have 30 dex or close to it, it might not be noticeable at all.
Ah, I have exactly 30 dex.

Top Bottom