• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

So what's the deal the the Brigand twin daggers? I can also make some Astora spear thing or whatever from the decrepit dude in Firelink. That any good?

Tarkus

So what's the deal the the Brigand twin daggers? I can also make some Astora spear thing or whatever from the decrepit dude in Firelink. That any good?
I like the Twindaggers a lot. They don't bleed but they're fast and have the best weapon skill: QUICKSTEP!!!!!! They don't gain any scaling by upgrading, so they may be an excellent Raw infusion weapon.

That spear is meh.

Did you send Greirat on his first scavenging trip?

I like the Twindaggers a lot. They don't bleed but they're fast and have the best weapon skill: QUICKSTEP!!!!!! They don't gain any scaling by upgrading, so they may be an excellent Raw infusion weapon.

That spear is meh.

Did you send Greirat on his first scavenging trip?
I gave him Lorretta's Bone and he's just all fetal and shit, got the curl up gesture and that's about it so far.

Tarkus

I gave him Lorretta's Bone and he's just all fetal and shit, got the curl up gesture and that's about it so far.
Go somewhere and warp back. He needs to satisfy his klepto itch. I wouldn't upgrade much until then since materials are hard to come by early on.

Mistel

Banned
Brigand are a good pair of daggers with a useful weapon art in just traveling and in combat. As for the spear you can make either Arstor's Spear or the Hollowslayer greatsword both if you prefer a good DEX scaling spear then Arstor's but the Hollowslayer Greatsword is nothing special and is out performed by the other greatswords.

Brigand are a good pair of daggers with a useful weapon art in just traveling and in combat. As for the spear you can make either Arstor's Spear or the Hollowslayer greatsword both if you prefer a good DEX scaling spear then Arstor's but the Hollowslayer Greatsword is nothing special and is out performed by the other greatswords.
Maybe I'll make Arstor's Spear when I get more Titanite. How are Astora's Straight Sword and The wolf greatsword thing that I saw ENB get during his playthrough? They require faith investment.

Mistel

Banned
Hmm? Could have sworn it worked on Gwyn?
I phrased that badly I mean it never worked on bosses in this one in DS1 it does.
Maybe I'll make Arstor's Spear when I get more Titanite. How are Astora's Straight Sword and The wolf greatsword thing that I saw ENB get during his playthrough? They require faith investment.
Astora is the only one with FTH investment and it is very strong in the raw class. The wolf one depends on which one you're referring too.

Tarkus

ASS
ha!
is one of the weapons that speed runners like to use infused with Raw because it has poor scaling but seems to get a great boost from the infusion; therefore, you don't need to pump stats to get good damage, making it great for magic users and the like. Most people probably use it raw. I just used it for 25% of the playthrough for my quality mage. It has the Longsword moveset which is great. Range is short as fuck though. It becomes outclassed at around +5 or 6.

I've never used the Wolf Knight Sword :( I avoid Artorias/Undead Legion stuff because it's so played out in PvP.

I phrased that badly I mean it never worked on bosses in this one in DS1 it does.

Astora is the only one with FTH investment and it is very strong in the raw class. The wolf one depends on which one you're referring too.
I think I saw it needing llike 13 Faith or something, wasn't paying too much attention to the name. It's weapon skill is Wrath of God.

ASS
ha!
is one of the weapons that speed runners like to use infused with Raw because it has poor scaling but seems to get a great boost from the infusion; therefore, you don't need to pump stats to get good damage, making it great for magic users and the like. Most people probably use it raw. I just used it for 25% of the playthrough for my quality mage. It has the Longsword moveset which is great. Range is short as fuck though. It becomes outclassed at around +5 or 6.

I've never used the Wolf Knight Sword :( I avoid Artorias/Undead Legion stuff because it's so played out in PvP.
I should give the ASS a try, granted I do like my weapons to scale with my main stat, but Raw sounds pretty good though.

ASS
ha!

Heh. Best weapon acronym.

Hmm? Could have sworn it worked on Gwyn?

lol. Just can't believe the fucking nerve of the guy. Like... really

Finding out that you could parry Gwyn caused him to be a super cheese lol, just walk in and whack him. It helped that parrying was super easy in DaS 1 compared to now.

AmyS

The last 20 pages of this thread are 99% PVP talk. Bah.

Where is the DLC news?

Aside from the first one dropping in the Fall, I don't think there was any news regarding DLC. Looks like they're being tight lipped about it.

I was really hoping for news regarding the DLC at E3. But nonetheless..atleast when there is new info about the DLC, the release date will be alot closer
hopefully :p

Can't wait for the DLC reveal. I got the season pass at release, something I never do.

My soul is ready.

kaos.

I'd given up at the Dancer but this inspired me to give it another go, hadn't thought about using the flame ring.

I always find her way more aggressive in the first phase though, like she comes for me immediately as I walk through the door. I think it might be to do with buffing inside the boss room rather than out(?)

Once you got the right set-up it will only be a matter of learning her movements a bit.
But it is doable, definitely... not being oneshotted is a great advantage.
Anyway, her aggressiveness is only a matter of RNG, you can continue to buff your weapon outside the room, sooner or later you'll catch her in the right mood. :)

Lebneney

Banned
Subplot?, never cure hollow, there are too many advantages. Just use the ring if you dont like how you look. The "subplot" is the
main
plot.

Well fuhhhh too late now... maybe during my second run T_T

There's a small subplot that gets you the ability to cure the Dark Sigil, but doing so
does not unlock any new subplot to the game, it puts you back on track towards playing the story normally.

Oh then, maybe all hope is not lost.
Too bad for Yuria ... might use the Darkdrift though.

Hmm, beating the D
ancer
at a low level doesn't actually seem that difficult, and I'm not even using a remotely optimal weapon for it (uchigatana). I've had three tries and I got closer to beating it each time, so hopefully I'll get it soon.

Matt Frost

I need a favor... Can someone who has the ring that Wolves of Farron gives at level 30 give it to me for a couple of seconds until it triggers the achievement? Then I will give it back. Send me a PM and we can set it up. PS4. I will be able to log in in 2.5 hours and could leave work for a minute if you have to do it now. Please.

RiggyRob

Found the friendly pilgrim Yoel of Londor and reached the Undead Settlement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ0_n2QeCI0&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=9

Poor
Greirat - now we have to go back to him and tell him Loretta's dead. And also ask him what is up with her carrying a bone, might have some significance to him at least.

The Undead Settlement seems very similar to the Yarnham starting area, which is what I would've expected to be the start in DSIII. Drinking Estus soup to recover health is a lovely addition, which is weird because that seems like something you'd add to make it easier on the player, unless there's some other significance to it. Already the caged spiderlings (which remind me of the Mensis headcages in Bloodborne actually) and Greirat look-alikes are a more diverse enemy choice than in DSII too.

We should probably go back to High Priestess Emma and ask her what the fuck is up with the demon carriers as well now that we've used the Small Lothric Banner.

So many questions!

NG++ is literally 10x easier than NG. I was flying through the game in 4.5 hours (from start to finish). NK++ only killed me 6 times.

You know, I would have called you crazy but I just made a new character over the weekend and I died so many times in High Wall it was embarrassing. A big part of the problem is that I tried to rush through it, and rushing in Dark Souls is basically asking for stupid deaths. But in NG you are so Estus starved it feels like the bonfires are super far apart.

I'm level 34 and have a +2 Hollowslayer Greatsword. I was hoping I would get lots of summons for Watchdogs of Farron at this level... but I've literally been summoned 1 time. :(

poodpick

You know, I would have called you crazy but I just made a new character over the weekend and I died so many times in High Wall it was embarrassing. A big part of the problem is that I tried to rush through it, and rushing in Dark Souls is basically asking for stupid deaths. But in NG you are so Estus starved it feels like the bonfires are super far apart.

I'm level 34 and have a +2 Hollowslayer Greatsword. I was hoping I would get lots of summons for Watchdogs of Farron at this level... but I've literally been summoned 1 time. :(

Seems like the best way to get summoned for that covenant is to level high enough for end game SL80-120 and try to kill gankers.

So I finally beat the game. My first foray into the series. What insane amounts of fun. And frustration. But so much fun. I kinda feel empty now. I tried playing Ratchet and Clank and nope, turned it off after 20 minutes. I feel like I need more Dark Souls. I don't want to do NG+ because I have such a large backlog but sheesh, it gets under your skin...

Maybe I might finally give Bloodborne a shot?

BeeDog

Finally got the Platinum trophy, took 94h50m. Three perfect game cycles (i.e. everything done three times over, phew). Anyway, super-great game though it became a bit tedious towards the end redoing everything all over again, but great that they kept the DkSII feature of having + rings in the new cycles.

Was it just me or was there a very noticeable bump in difficulty between NG+ and NG++? NG+ felt like a breeze, but I died many, many more times in NG++ to even quite basic enemies. For example, the anchor/hook/chain-wielding enemies in Archdragon Peak were ridiculously tough in NG++ compared to the previous cycles.

poodpick

So what is the DS3 PvP meta setup now?

blessed/simple caestus in off hand depending on whether you spam weapon arts or want a little bit of healing while you fight.

straight sword, washing pole, estoc or curved sword as your fast weapon

halberd, greatsword, ultra greatsword, or great hammer as your slow heavy weapon

Deku Tree

Who cares?

Me, for one. I'm curious.

blessed/simple caestus in off hand depending on whether you spam weapon arts or want a little bit of healing while you fight.

straight sword, washing pole, estoc or curved sword as your fast weapon

halberd, greatsword, ultra greatsword, or great hammer as your slow heavy weapon

Thanks! What kind of stat distribution do you want with that loadout?

poodpick

Me, for one. I'm curious.

Thanks! What kind of stat distribution do you want with that loadout?

You want to run a quality build 40/40 dex/str, enough points in vit to match your armor and weapons, ~30 end, and 40 or more vigor.

Also start as the knight class if you want to min/max that build

Many people don't go Embered in that area until they get to Abyss Watchers(I think the game's been out long enough to not spoiler tag boss names, right?) . Honestly, the area invasions covenants should invade unembered people, many people would disagree, but to them I say play offline m8s.

NG++ is literally 10x easier than NG. I was flying through the game in 4.5 hours (from start to finish). NK++ only killed me 6 times.

I'm having a lot more trouble in NG++ than I did in NG. Dragonslayer I beat on my second attempt in NG, NG++ took like four or more attempts. Twin Princes second attempt in NG, first attempt in NG+ third or fourth in NG++. NG+ I feel is 10x easier than NG, but NG++? Might be different playstyles though, and perhaps armour.

So what is the DS3 PvP meta setup now?

What do you mean? Like SL, or weapons/armour? SL is all over the place, I'm 135 and still see 20+ summon signs outside Pontiff. Weapons the dank sword is still there, and I've seen a few people use the Lucerne.

LiK

holy shit, looks like Spy finished his LP. I haven't watched since ep 20-someting so i'm 30+ eps behind. lol

I'm watching ENB's playthrough and the Smoldering Lake with that fucking Dune worm and the Balrog look like some old bullshit.

Best part of his new playthrough:

https://youtu.be/uN_bRmaGLvs?t=25m59s

Chipmunk voice made it perfect.

Seems like the best way to get summoned for that covenant is to level high enough for end game SL80-120 and try to kill gankers.

I've tried on my SL120 character and had no luck. Literally 0 summons. :|

Many people don't go Embered in that area until they get to Abyss Watchers(I think the game's been out long enough to not spoiler tag boss names, right?) . Honestly, the area invasions covenants should invade unembered people, many people would disagree, but to them I say play offline m8s.

Yeah or they should get priority over red orb invasions or something. I've had bad luck with area covenants. I had 1 good sessions as an Aldrich Faithful on my SL120 but then it dried up.

Omg...so I'm doing my -165 damage absorption invasions. This one guy wouldn't attack me...not once :|. I ended up killing him, he only needed to hit me once to kill me lol.

Edit: Lol so since I'm a sunbro my invasion sign is yellow. Some guy summoned me and had a red attacking him. I went up and BS'd the host. Should I feel bad? Only after I was putting my sword through his spine did I think "what if he thought I was a helpful Sunbro?"

Edit edit: 99% of us are guilty of this: https://tapastic.com/episode/379719 lol

Deku Tree

How do I make a luck build? What equipment would I want to use? Do you have to basically respec mid game or can you start out leveling luck and not get totally recked?

Guess I'm the 1%. #teamSweet

I'm definitely a Sweet on this one. I don't know why so many of you tortured yourselves with farming proofs and stuff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For the glory! Only 1.8% of Steam players have The Dark Soul achievement :p. Five of my six rarest achievements are Dark Souls related lol.

Also, this guy is like evil incarnate, just look at his evil ideas for Dark Souls! http://vempirick.deviantart.com/art/Illusory-wall-528053876

poodpick

How do I make a luck build? What equipment would I want to use? Do you have to basically respec mid game or can you start out leveling luck and not get totally recked?

You can't hollow infuse weapons till you get the pronfaned coal I believe, but you can get
Anri's straight sword
if you kill
Anri
at the road of sacrifices. Not sure if a bleed infusion is worth it early game as bleed buildup is affected by luck.

Matt Frost

Anri Straight Sword is everything you need. Is what I been using from the start. Luck gives you more frames for parrying, more items, more damage. Buff Luck, Faith and Strength -and VIT + Stamina- and you are good to go. This build is highly recommended. Respec if you want to. 40-60-99 are the soft caps.

poodpick

Anri Straight Sword is everything you need. Is what I been using from the start. Luck gives you more frames for parrying, more items, more damage. Buff Luck, Faith and Strength -and VIT + Stamina- and you are good to go. This build is highly recommended. Respec if you want to. 40-60-99 are the soft caps.

Are you sure? I've never heard of this and it isn't on the wiki.

Mistel

Banned
You can't hollow infuse weapons till you get the pronfaned coal I believe, but you can get
Anri's straight sword
if you kill
Anri
at the road of sacrifices. Not sure if a bleed infusion is worth it early game as bleed buildup is affected by luck.
It depends what weapon you're using really if its worth it or not you can get some very good bleed weapons early on.

Top Bottom